Not one talk about preparedness. Some think things are a

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Dubs
captain of 50

Not one talk about preparedness. Some think things are a

Post by Dubs »

Year or two away, but personally, I just don't see it.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Re: Not one talk about preparedness. Some think things are a

Post by iWriteStuff »

What's funny is the wife and I were just discussing how many times the word "prepare" has been used in all sessions of conference. If we were playing word bingo, we'd have won the jackpot now. They aren't saying "go buy tents and food storage" but there a lot of references to preparing for things which "must shortly come to pass" or "in our day" as Elder Hales said it, I believe.

Wouldn't you say the most important preparations are spiritual? Without spiritual preparation, I don't think temporal preparation would do much good.

Dubs
captain of 50

Post by Dubs »

In those instances, it seems as though they were referring to preparing to fall away from the church.

The church has talked about prayer, fasting, tithing, scripture study for years upon years. Why? Probably because it is essential to each of us.

If the SHTF soon, IMO, you would think the church would at least broach the subject of physical/temporal preparedness, in addition to all the other important topics.

I have enjoyed conference, but have not had any impression from the speakers of impending calamities, of which we have been warned, will be facing us all in the last days.

Maybe others have experienced different feelings.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Dubs, Pres. Eyring stressed the need for continuing revelation, and keeping close to the Spirit because that will be needed in the days ahead. (He said that we can't rely on the gov't...gave Teton Dam disaster as an example.) Elder Nelson assured us that the Lord's leaders have the authority and that they won't lead us astray. Sister McConkie stated that we have a "famine of righteousness" in the world today, but that the word of the Lord is "manna to our souls" which will give us temporal and spiritual safety. Pres. Monson reminded us that we are in a time of testing, that the Savior experienced pain, suffering, disappointment and betrayal, yet he still walked the "path of obedience". Elder Ballard implored us to "stay in the boat, ....always wear our life jackets. "God is at the helm." Our lives will be like the 14 miles of rapids (white water) and we must hold fast.

Elder Scott warned us that we'll be tested, tried and stretched and that there is truly opposition in all things. He reminded us of the four tools we have to survive....prayer, study scriptures, FHE and going to the temple often. Elder Godoy warned us that we all have moments of great decisions which can have grave consequences. We must be prepared for the difficulties to come. Elder Kacher warned of us unseen currents that are real.

You may feel this was just more of the same. I submit that I felt the warning that we must be strong and be prepared for the times that are coming. We are going to have trials and the only safety is in being strong in the gospel and keeping our focus on what the end game is.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

The messages of conference are for spiritual edification, IMO and they go out to all people, not just LDS.

The message to prepare physically is still given to members but you have to remember that General conf. is for the world church, not just American members. Many members don't have the means or ability to make physical preparations--some countries don't allow people to store food etc and some are so poor, they cannot possibly do so. That is a message better left to their local leadership to make, keeping in mind the area they serve and the unique needs and abilities of the people there.

As for us, we know the messages we've been given and we don't need to hear it in conference to know the message is more important today than in the past--one look at economic and social conditions around us tells us we need to prepare temporally.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

kathyn wrote:Dubs, Pres. Eyring stressed the need for continuing revelation, and keeping close to the Spirit because that will be needed in the days ahead. (He said that we can't rely on the gov't...gave Teton Dam disaster as an example.) Elder Nelson assured us that the Lord's leaders have the authority and that they won't lead us astray. Sister McConkie stated that we have a "famine of righteousness" in the world today, but that the word of the Lord is "manna to our souls" which will give us temporal and spiritual safety. Pres. Monson reminded us that we are in a time of testing, that the Savior experienced pain, suffering, disappointment and betrayal, yet he still walked the "path of obedience". Elder Ballard implored us to "stay in the boat, ....always wear our life jackets. "God is at the helm." Our lives will be like the 14 miles of rapids (white water) and we must hold fast.

Elder Scott warned us that we'll be tested, tried and stretched and that there is truly opposition in all things. He reminded us of the four tools we have to survive....prayer, study scriptures, FHE and going to the temple often. Elder Godoy warned us that we all have moments of great decisions which can have grave consequences. We must be prepared for the difficulties to come. Elder Kacher warned of us unseen currents that are real.

You may feel this was just more of the same. I submit that I felt the warning that we must be strong and be prepared for the times that are coming. We are going to have trials and the only safety is in being strong in the gospel and keeping our focus on what the end game is.
Excellent summary :)

Stacy Oliver
captain of 1,000

Post by Stacy Oliver »

Dubs wrote:Year or two away, but personally, I just don't see it.
+1. The Lord isn't going to hide big events in small lines in talks on vastly different topics.

Dubs
captain of 50

Post by Dubs »

Completely agree that we were warned about upcoming trials, but again, to me it was spiritual trials and not physical.

Message of this conference, for me, is that the Lord is at the helm, leaders are inspired...follow them or you may fall away.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Just as a side note, here in the States the Church is making food storage easier than ever. You can go to LDS.org at the Provident Living site and order long-term food storage online. I believe that there is a shipping fee of only $3 no matter how much you purchase. ( At least that was the case in Sept.) And if you live close to a facility (former cannery, etc.) that sells the food, it's even cheaper. I really believe that the Church is taking a loss so that people can get their storage now. Sadly, not many are taking advantage of it. I also believe that the Spirit IS warning many people to prepare. The Brethren in Conference stressed over and over the necessity of listening to and heeding the Spirit.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Completely agree that we were warned about upcoming trials, but again, to me it was spiritual trials and not physical.
I think it can be both.

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Stacy Oliver wrote:
+1. The Lord isn't going to hide big events in small lines in talks on vastly different topics.
I'm curious what you mean by this statement. Are you saying the warning would have to be given in specific terms with a specific date? Or that all the warnings to date, complete with last month's ensign article by Pres. Monson regarding being temporally and spiritually prepared and getting our houses in order are too subtle?

I think the signs are all around us. What more do you want the GAs to say than what they have already? And if it's one year, five, or ten, what difference does it matter if they hadn't been consistent in warning us throughout that time? Heck, it could be fifty years. I think the principle is one of obedience. They have been telling us to get ready *now*. Why not just do it?

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Dubs wrote:Completely agree that we were warned about upcoming trials, but again, to me it was spiritual trials and not physical.

Message of this conference, for me, is that the Lord is at the helm, leaders are inspired...follow them or you may fall away.
I was reading Hugh Nibley today and he made an interesting observation. He said, "Whenever The Lord prepares for Zion, there must be a division among the people." So I'd say your statement about spiritual trials is 100% spot on.

The GAs are saying "Choose to be on the Lord's side. There are divisions coming among the members of the church. Choose wisely." Members of the church will have to decide whose side they're on - Zion or Babylon; The Lord and His Church or some other doctrine. Then the rest of the preparations for Zion will take place. Those are less subtle and more difficult to weather if we haven't chosen valiantly.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Acquaint yourselves with the pattern of the Lord's message to his people, in relation to the pride cycle. He tells His servants to preach nothing save repentance to a wicked generation. I heard a lot about repentance in general conference. I would say we are very close to some events that will teach us humility =)

minuet1
captain of 100

Post by minuet1 »

I actually thought a theme of the entire conference was "prepare." Like the Savior, they didn't always come out and say it exactly like it was, they spoke in parables (like Pres. Monson in last month's Ensign), or used stories so that those with ears to hear would catch the meaning. Those without ears to hear would only hear a nice story and not make the personal correlation to some part of preparation. I am anxious for the talks to be in print later this week so I can prayerfully study the talks to glean more of the Lord's messages specifically for me in my preparation efforts.

karend77
captain of 1,000

Post by karend77 »

iWriteStuff wrote:
Dubs wrote:Completely agree that we were warned about upcoming trials, but again, to me it was spiritual trials and not physical.

I was reading Hugh Nibley today and he made an interesting observation. He said, "Whenever The Lord prepares for Zion, there must be a division among the people." So I'd say your statement about spiritual trials is 100% spot on.

The GAs are saying "Choose to be on the Lord's side. There are divisions coming among the members of the church. Choose wisely." Members of the church will have to decide whose side they're on - Zion or Babylon; The Lord and His Church or some other doctrine. Then the rest of the preparations for Zion will take place. Those are less subtle and more difficult to weather if we haven't chosen valiantly.
:ymapplause: Every talk was about preparedness....not the preppers way, but prepare spiritually

Stacy Oliver
captain of 1,000

Post by Stacy Oliver »

iWriteStuff wrote:
Stacy Oliver wrote:
I'm curious what you mean by this statement. Are you saying the warning would have to be given in specific terms with a specific date? Or that all the warnings to date, complete with last month's ensign article by Pres. Monson regarding being temporally and spiritually prepared and getting our houses in order are too subtle?

I think the signs are all around us. What more do you want the GAs to say than what they have already? And if it's one year, five, or ten, what difference does it matter if they hadn't been consistent in warning us throughout that time? Heck, it could be fifty years. I think the principle is one of obedience. They have been telling us to get ready *now*. Why not just do it?
I understood OP to say that the lack of a focus on preparedness indicates that things are likely to continue on their path, without dramatic changes in the next one or two years. I agree and think that it is prooftexting to take the few mentions of preparedness to believe that the Church is refocusing on prepping.

Obviously we need to be prepared, have food storage, etc. I don't think that the current conference should cause anyone to panic and start building a bunker. You're 100% correct that we should be prepared out of obedience and that the second coming might not be for 50 years. I am absolutely not saying that because they didn't specifically talk about it, we can ignore it. I was simply agreeing with OP as to what we can infer about timing.

OnGoing
captain of 50

Post by OnGoing »

I felt the focus was appropriately on spiritual preparedness and having a relationship with the Savior. If you can hear His spirit, the spirit will guide you to prepare in the ways that are right for you. I have gotten the idea that the way I am to prepare is different than the way someone in another place/location may need to prepare. It would be very hard for someone in Salt Lake to inform us of our personal temporal preparedness needs because we each will encounter so many different things on our unique path in life. The advice to turn to the Lord is completely true and the best "preparedness" advice they can give I think.

+1 to the poster who pointed out the church is making food storage veeeery easy to accomplish. Actions speak louder than words, no? :-? ;)

seekingw
captain of 10

Post by seekingw »

Probably because it's already too late for many members to prepare. Also, if members aren't spiritually ready, how will they heed the call to become temporally prepared?

Reggie
captain of 100

Post by Reggie »

OK, we didn't hear TSM get up and say, "Thus saith the Lord, there are evil men in secret combinations over you now and they are planning the downfall of America in a year. I want all the saints to store a one year supply of food, clothing, and farming stuff. You'll need two weeks of water and a way for ongoing decontamination of it. We've been trying to tell you all this for 40 years. Now you have one year to get it all done plus get out of debt. Repent!!! saints. or die. Oh, and BTW, if you haven't made the Holy Ghost your constant companion, prepare to die anyway, because you don't have enough time left."

Sometimes I feel like this is what some people want to see happen. If this actually happened, do you know where the church would be 15 minutes later? Really, I can't even imagine the panic and what would ensue. The US propaganda machine would be wide open. You saw that body guard issuing TSM out of there like his hair was on fire anyway. I'm wondering if he hasn't already received credible death threats. This has come down now to hearing with the ears of the Spirit. The apostles are leading by the Spirit. Only those with ears to hear and eyes to see can see. :-L

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Reggie, :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

blamb
captain of 50

Post by blamb »

Dubs wrote:In those instances, it seems as though they were referring to preparing to fall away from the church.

The church has talked about prayer, fasting, tithing, scripture study for years upon years. Why? Probably because it is essential to each of us.

If the SHTF soon, IMO, you would think the church would at least broach the subject of physical/temporal preparedness, in addition to all the other important topics.

I have enjoyed conference, but have not had any impression from the speakers of impending calamities, of which we have been warned, will be facing us all in the last days.

Maybe others have experienced different feelings.

They have warned enough. They are now in a position that any strong talk like you mentioned would cause a panic and make things worse. Christ talked in parables all the time. Those that had ears to hear did and those that didnt, didnt.

Didn't see Reggies post above until after I posted this but she nailed it!
Last edited by blamb on October 5th, 2014, 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wingingit
captain of 10

Post by wingingit »

Reggie I couldn't agree more with you. :)

blamb
captain of 50

Post by blamb »

Reggie wrote:OK, we didn't hear TSM get up and say, "Thus saith the Lord, there are evil men in secret combinations over you now and they are planning the downfall of America in a year. I want all the saints to store a one year supply of food, clothing, and farming stuff. You'll need two weeks of water and a way for ongoing decontamination of it. We've been trying to tell you all this for 40 years. Now you have one year to get it all done plus get out of debt. Repent!!! saints. or die. Oh, and BTW, if you haven't made the Holy Ghost your constant companion, prepare to die anyway, because you don't have enough time left."

Sometimes I feel like this is what some people want to see happen. If this actually happened, do you know where the church would be 15 minutes later? Really, I can't even imagine the panic and what would ensue. The US propaganda machine would be wide open. You saw that body guard issuing TSM out of there like his hair was on fire anyway. I'm wondering if he hasn't already received credible death threats. This has come down now to hearing with the ears of the Spirit. The apostles are leading by the Spirit. Only those with ears to hear and eyes to see can see. :-L
Excellent Post!

Mgrodko1
captain of 10

Post by Mgrodko1 »

I'm not sure if I got this right, but I got from the majority of the talks the sense of troubles on the horizon. The asurance that the church is in good hands even if the prophet would die. That all 15 man work in harmony and the keys and authority is here.
Than, repent and come back, because no matter how bad it will get. You will want to be on the side with those of authority from God.
Sorry for miss spells. English is not my first language.

Dubs
captain of 50

Post by Dubs »

[quote="Reggie"]OK, we didn't hear TSM get up and say, "Thus saith the Lord, there are evil men in secret combinations over you now and they are planning the downfall of America in a year. I want all the saints to store a one year supply of food, clothing, and farming stuff. You'll need two weeks of water and a way for ongoing decontamination of it. We've been trying to tell you all this for 40 years. Now you have one year to get it all done plus get out of debt. Repent!!! saints. or die. Oh, and BTW, if you haven't made the Holy Ghost your constant companion, prepare to die anyway, because you don't have enough time left."

I just think it isn't too much to expect a talk in GC focused on the physical aspects of preparedness, if the collapse of the economy or some other catastrophic event was within a year.

President Hinckley gave two warnings in separate GCs, before the recession hit and he didn't do it in a doom and gloom way.

Am I way off to think a similar thing will take place when the SHTF, at a level that America has never experienced, as we are warned will take place in the last days?
Last edited by Dubs on October 5th, 2014, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.