Poll: Who'll be the Prophet when Christ Returns?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.

Who will be the President of the LDS church when Christ returns?

Thomas S. Monson
2%
Boyd K. Packer
4%
L. Tom Perry
No votes
Russel M. Nelson
6%
Dallin H. Oaks
4%
M. Russell Ballard
1%
Richard G. Scott
1%
Robert D. Hales
1%
Denver Snuffer
14%
Other
68%

Total votes: 102
eric
captain of 100

Re: Poll: Who'll be the Prophet when Christ Returns?

Post by eric »

TZONE wrote:How could I have forgotten Holland. I could see him as a major leader. Wow you would do just about anything he says forgetting to ask the Lord first he speaks with such power. I could see him one of the two in Jerusalem dead on the streets. I get a feeling a few of them will be martyered in the upcoming persecutions so we really can't predict who it'll be as the Lord could cause 7/15 to die.

I agree with you sheol here though. The reason why I picked bednar is because I had an odd dislike of him as a missionary and knew it was not good. I had a major change of heart because of that. The only reason I disliked him because he was enforcing stricter mission rules. I now have the most respect for the man and hear stories of his ability to teach from the book of mormon. He knows it like no-one I know.
Yes, Holland in the streets of Jerusalem. I am with you on that one - I think.

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

Which coming? the coming in glory, the coming to Zion, the coming to the Jews? That's a pretty broad time frame. the Lord will be directly in charge of things by the time he comes in glory!

g_luv_style
captain of 50

Post by g_luv_style »

I've thought Elder Holland the last couple of years. He's about the middle of the pack currently, but a lot younger than the senior apostles. If I remember right all of the apostles older than him or also older than President Monson. I could be very wrong about that.

sixth seal
captain of 100

Post by sixth seal »

bbrown wrote:Which coming? the coming in glory, the coming to Zion, the coming to the Jews? That's a pretty broad time frame. the Lord will be directly in charge of things by the time he comes in glory!
I've been waiting for someone to bring this up. I believe that Adam-Ondi-Ahman will be the first of the Lord's second coming events. As I mentioned before, if it's in the time frame in or around 2033 AD, Bednar has a great chance of being the church president. I think this takes place during or immediately after the cleansing of the American continent in preparation for New Jerusalem to be built. Then we as saints and the church, under Christ's direction, build the city of New Jerusalem and the temple. That may take a while, but when it's finished, Christ makes His second appearance as He accepts the temple. So I'm not sure who would be the President of the church at that time. Then Zion is fully redeemed. The LDS church as it functions now will likely change as Christ's church will be known as the Church of the Firstborn. There may not be a priesthood office of President of the Church or Prophet of the church any longer at that point. Then at some point after that, Christ appears to the Jews as He sets His feet on the Mount of Olives. And again, sometime after that, He will make His grand coming in Glory for all the world to see as He destroys the wicked and redeems the remaining righteous.

mattctr
captain of 100

Post by mattctr »

Bednar. Jinx. I had that thought when he was still at Ricks. Of course, I don't put any stock in it, but I find it interesting that so many of us picked him.

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

TZONE wrote:No Uchdorft!, I say him or Bednar out of the list. If they die than I say Eyring.
President Eyring is senior to them both.

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

8 very old men and an apostate doesn't give much choice.

Even Elder Bednar is 61 this year so maybe if Christ returns in the next 20 years its a possibility.

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

g_luv_style wrote:I've thought Elder Holland the last couple of years. He's about the middle of the pack currently, but a lot younger than the senior apostles. If I remember right all of the apostles older than him or also older than President Monson. I could be very wrong about that.
Elder Holland is 73 this year so unless Christ returns quickly...?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Col. Flagg wrote:
TZONE wrote:No Uchdorft!, I say him or Bednar out of the list. If they die than I say Eyring.
Bro.'s Uchtdorf and Eyring would be good prophets as well. Did anyone see the look on Bro. Eyring's face just before he gave a short speech that opened the doors to City Creek? Was classic, almost as if to say 'I can't believe I'm here doing this'. :ymapplause: :ymhug:
Col, is there a video of it available somewhere?

firend
captain of 1,000

Post by firend »

I don't think it will be any of our current leaders.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

New leaders will be called to fill in for those lost during the tribulation/cleansing. From my studies, there will many prophets. Joseph Smith will return and while Zion is built, Christ will also be among the saints.

sixth seal
captain of 100

Post by sixth seal »

coachmarc wrote:New leaders will be called to fill in for those lost during the tribulation/cleansing. From my studies, there will many prophets. Joseph Smith will return and while Zion is built, Christ will also be among the saints.
I agree. Whenever a prophet or an apostle passes on, a new individual is called to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles to take his place. They are all prophets. There will be many prophets. Joseph Smith will come back, in some capacity. He, along with all past prophets and others who have held keys, will come back to Adam-Ondi-Ahman to help turn their keys back to Adam and eventually to Christ. Christ will definately be amongst the Saints as New Jerusalem is built.

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

Yep someone brand new.....a Lamanite....even someone who is in the USA illegally (illegal Mexican alien) :p

Let's see how the LDS accept THAT...
:ymdevil:

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

PSCahill wrote:Yep, I noticed that my choice wasn't on there...Bednar. He seems the most likely...and we will need "the great rebuker" by then!
Oh, if you want a "rebuker," then hold out for Kevin Pearson of the 70. Ask anyone who has been out in the mission field in the last few years. Really. I've watched that man teach for about 4 hours straight, and the one thing it WASN'T was boring. He's currently 56 years old.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

HeirofNumenor wrote:Yep someone brand new.....a Lamanite....even someone who is in the USA illegally (illegal Mexican alien) :p

After the cleansing, borders will be obsolete. The elect will be gathered by the elect, although I do tend to think that there will be a border around Zion and her stakes.

Darren
captain of 1,000

Post by Darren »

That Jesus will be a resident on the earth a thousand [years] with the Saints is not the case, but will reign over the Saints and come down and instruct, as he did the five hundred brethren [see 1 Corinthians 15:6], and those of the first resurrection will also reign with him over the Saints.” (TEACHINGS OF PRESIDENTS OF THE CHURCH: JOSEPH SMITH, 2008, page 258)
God Bless,
Darren

Sheol27
captain of 100

Post by Sheol27 »

HeirofNumenor wrote:Yep someone brand new.....a Lamanite....even someone who is in the USA illegally (illegal Mexican alien) :p

I would like to see that just for the fact that I know some people that it would very much bother! :))

cartcart
captain of 10

Post by cartcart »

It will be whomever the Lord wants it to be. It is not up to us, but to Him. Really, it does not matter.

Sheol27
captain of 100

Post by Sheol27 »

cartcart wrote:It will be whomever the Lord wants it to be. It is not up to us, but to Him. Really, it does not matter.
It doesn't matter but we are having fun talking about it.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Darren wrote:
That Jesus will be a resident on the earth a thousand [years] with the Saints is not the case, but will reign over the Saints and come down and instruct, as he did the five hundred brethren [see 1 Corinthians 15:6], and those of the first resurrection will also reign with him over the Saints.” (TEACHINGS OF PRESIDENTS OF THE CHURCH: JOSEPH SMITH, 2008, page 258)
God Bless,
Darren
I love learning new things from you, brother Darren! :ymhug:

eric
captain of 100

Post by eric »

Original_Intent wrote:
Darren wrote:
God Bless,
Darren
I love learning new things from you, brother Darren! :ymhug:
OI, me too! Darren has one of the coolest perspectives I have EVER seen. Not a single post that does not cause me to think deeply - even if I occasionally disagree with his point of view. I would love to hang out with him on a Sunday afternoon and pick his brain on many things! :ymhug: :ymhug:

linj2fly
captain of 1,000

Post by linj2fly »

Another vote for Bednar (btw, he was the CES speaker tonight. Great talk on faith and submission).
BringerOfJoy wrote:
PSCahill wrote:Yep, I noticed that my choice wasn't on there...Bednar. He seems the most likely...and we will need "the great rebuker" by then!
Oh, if you want a "rebuker," then hold out for Kevin Pearson of the 70. Ask anyone who has been out in the mission field in the last few years. Really. I've watched that man teach for about 4 hours straight, and the one thing it WASN'T was boring. He's currently 56 years old.
I'd like to hear more from bro. Pearson. His conference talk on faith and the 6 destructive D's was very instructive.

sixth seal
captain of 100

Post by sixth seal »

Bump...

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

At this time, I'd probably vote "none of the above".

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

What if there isn't even an organized Church when Christ returns? What if there are only several hundred or several thousand humans left on the whole face of the earth because they either killed each other off or couldn't manage to keep from being burned to a crisp when Jesus and those with him returned?