Year supply prepareness poll

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.

Commerce has ceased. We can live off our supplies for?

Our family can live off our goods for at least one year
69%
Our family could live for a while but not one year
31%
We just begun working on it
No votes
I guess it is time to start preparing
No votes
Never heard of a years supply, what is it?
No votes

Total votes: 26
BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Re: Year supply prepareness poll

Post by BeNotDeceived »

buffalo_girl wrote: August 28th, 2010, 7:16 pm
... We probably need more manual wood cutting tools. ...

These curved saws rock :!:

Great for defense against feral dogs and humans too. :lol:

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

BeNotDeceived wrote: December 28th, 2017, 4:40 pm
buffalo_girl wrote: August 28th, 2010, 7:16 pm
... We probably need more manual wood cutting tools. ...

These curved saws rock :!:

Great for defense against feral dogs and humans too. :lol:
Well if you say it like that then you are on the wrong forum with this post. This obviously should go on the mutant zombie forum with that post instead. XD
Last edited by gardener4life on December 28th, 2017, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Food items are the basics because we eat what we store.
Lots of wheat, oats, rice, beans with seasonal produce/plants. We have found the 3 month supply really lasts a year if you use it to make the long term stuff taste better.

As for non-food. We try to store what we would need for the most basic health and survival. Sanitation is on that list so yes, toilet paper. But it is important to research what people did in the past and even try them out so you have options in the future if this is not just a situation of unemployment.

For example: toilet paper. You can actually use cloth and wash it. If it is hard to get your mind around, just think of cloth diapers. You have a pieces for each family member (color coded cloth would work well) that hangs on hooks and you don't mix the pee cloth with the other cloth. Pee cloths may be re-used for a short time, the other must be washed after each use. (Haven't done this myself, read it on a blog from a family that was ACTUALLY homesteading and using this method.)

Feminine hygiene. Options include: storing sea sponges that can be rinsed and re-used. These are actual sea sponges and are available for purchase at many health food stores. (Tried it, not my favorite option.) People would collect both actual cotton and the wisps from cottonwood trees and sew them in fabric. These are stored in a bucket of cold water after use and until washing time. They need to be replaced with some frequency.

If you do put in an outhouse, I read that you need to regularly dump lye water into the hole to keep the smell and germs down. (If I remember, it is monthly.)

Learning about water filtration and purification would be top on my list since you can only store so much.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

gclayjr wrote: December 28th, 2017, 7:12 am One argument I have had with "Over the top" preppers is that I would rather starve than gun down my starving neighbors. That Is why I don't feel a need or desire to own a great armory.
Triple Amen to this!