Year supply prepareness poll

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.

Commerce has ceased. We can live off our supplies for?

Our family can live off our goods for at least one year
69%
Our family could live for a while but not one year
31%
We just begun working on it
No votes
I guess it is time to start preparing
No votes
Never heard of a years supply, what is it?
No votes

Total votes: 26
NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Year supply prepareness poll

Post by NoGreaterLove »

How about a years supply of food and other essentials?

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Year supply prepareness poll

Post by Original_Intent »

I don;t know why, but on this site whenever I try to take a poll, it says it is an invalid form. I have set compatibility view, but still no luck.

Yes, I think we could survive a year on what we have. We would definitely be short on some things that it would be nice to have, but we could live.

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

I am having the same problem.

We are kind of in the same boat. We have more than a years supply, but are still working on the production end of it. Still need more of the right seeds and more canning lids and jars. I think I have the tools down.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Yeah, we can live a year, but I hope to have time to get more things to make it a better experience.

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

we can feed the whole town if you take our garden into account......from now on out

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

We probably have a year's supply of essential human food, but I'm not sure we have a year's supply of food for our chickens. Winters here are really rough. There's no way animals can forage in -20 - -40 with howling winds. We have hay for the other animals, but a limited amount of grain storage for them. That's a 'must do'.

I did buy a year's supply of t-paper only to discover it's the wrong kind for a septic system. Of course, if the power is down we won't have water to flush a toilet anyway. Power for water pumps, etc. is a serious issue, too. We do have both gas and pto driven generators, but if fuel becomes scarce those may not be usable.

I have a pretty good supply of lamp oil and several kerosene lamps. Need more of that.

We have both wood burning heating & cooking stoves. There is plenty of wood in the wind break rows. We probably need more manual wood cutting tools. Chain saws need fuel, too.

I'm thinking an outhouse might not be such a bad thing to have in the yard. Our nearest neighbors are a mile and a half across the creek so I don't think there would be a complaint.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

BG, chickens can live off hay as long as they have plenty of grit. During heavy winters we just threw a bale of hay in the chicken yard (fenced part) and grit in the chicken coop. Around here hay is 14% protein.

Bob

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Thanks, Bob. That makes perfect sense. There are 'baled' grasshoppers in the hay, too!

Nan
captain of 1,000

Post by Nan »

We have a year supply unless our families had to move in. And I am not talking about our children. :roll:

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

I have not heard the Church talk about a year's supply for a looong time. Is it still a doctrine?

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Silver Pie wrote: December 27th, 2017, 9:27 pm I have not heard the Church talk about a year's supply for a looong time. Is it still a doctrine?
Yes, it's still doctrine. Go to a preparedness class and you'll hear about food storage: three day supply, two weeks, three months of what you normally eat, one year of long-term storage.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Yes

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

There's a lot of things that are still un-worked out things about year long preparedness.

Would the year supply include toilet paper? That's awkward to store. There are little things like this that aren't 'officially' a year supply of food but are things you can't live without. (Then too you have medication for an elderly parent but you can't go to a doctor and say you want to create a year supply of pain pills, they will think you are using them for recreation.) I think there might be other small items like TP or whatever that maybe I might have missed even though I officially have done some year supply.

One of these small items is fuel to cook the food. I don't think storing a year supply of a way to cook it is possible? What do others think of this? This topic I don't feel I can advise others on and I'm still learning it.

There's also the problem that your families are usually divided between people living truth and people that aren't. Most families aren't completely 100% believers anymore. So if something were to happen the unbelievers would probably steal the food of the faithful. And part of why I know this is that a lot of people who reject God, do so for various forms of parasitic behaviors in the other parts of their lives, or vices that cause such practices. I'm seeing that now by one family member who doesn't have his life together, borrows food of others often, and there isn't even an emergency yet (nor any illness.)

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Thanks. I'm glad to know it's still around.

I don't think I've ever been to a preparedness class. I have been to preparedness fairs (called by different names) - some at the stake level and some more on a community level, but it has been years since I've heard of one happening.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Silver Pie wrote: December 27th, 2017, 11:21 pm Thanks. I'm glad to know it's still around.

I don't think I've ever been to a preparedness class. I have been to preparedness fairs (called by different names) - some at the stake level and some more on a community level, but it has been years since I've heard of one happening.
Our old stake had the most wonderful preparedness fairs. The Stake President spent years making contacts in the community and made it a treat not just for members but for all who wanted to attend!

The next Stake President didn't seem to think it was important at all and it died down to a couple of tables with poster boards by the 2nd year after he was called. Such a disappointment!

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Michelle wrote: December 27th, 2017, 11:52 pm
Silver Pie wrote: December 27th, 2017, 11:21 pm Thanks. I'm glad to know it's still around.

Our old stake had the most wonderful preparedness fairs. The Stake President spent years making contacts in the community and made it a treat not just for members but for all who wanted to attend!

The next Stake President didn't seem to think it was important at all and it died down to a couple of tables with poster boards by the 2nd year after he was called. Such a disappointment!
I don't consider myself a food storage or preparation expert. In fact I have questions too, one of which is above.

But one thing I can tell you for sure that I have seen is the math. If every household had a year supply then stores wouldn't be raising prices all the time! I've seen in grocery stores in the last few years as I price tracked that sometimes some items there will go up as much as 20 or 25 % in a single year!

So why can they do that? Because people don't have a supply at home. And why does having that matter? If someone raised prices then a lot of people could get together and say lets wait for it to go back to normal pricing. (They wouldn't actually even need to tell each other, it would just be normal incentive.) If you look at it from a math perspective, preparation counters desperation, which means supply and demand aren't manipulated by merchant sellers jacking up prices.

Now I'm sure being this site as it is that someone is going to play the devil's advocate and say the store needs to raise prices sometimes. That's true in a way. Some price increases are normal. But what isn't normal is for pricing to go up a huge amount really fast, while people's paychecks are going down! That's the sign also that our economic system is sick! Why is it that so many goods are having price go up really fast, even while paychecks are actually going down.

Someone will probably wonder if that's really the case but it is happening. Unemployment is going down but some of those 'new jobs' were actually companies cycling out higher paid employees and replacing them with lower paid, less educated drones that would use technology to guide them through what they lacked in education. This is how companies can use technology to control as well. (If you have a strong decision tree and technical process in a company then you can manage a work flow that uses less educated workers with more automated button pushing that kills the need for educated workers, and in turn kills salaries. (And ability to feed families is killed too.)

Thus, self sufficiency and preparation including food storage wins out. We can help prevent big price hikes for some goods by reducing our buying when huge prices go up. (Though in that case you still shouldn't use your food storage when it's not an emergency.)

And people who think food storage is nerdy should really look at the practical side of this money saving aspect that HUGELY can affect price hikes in many types of goods and not just food.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

We spent the last 6 months eating most of our food storage, as it was getting old and needed to be recycled. We gave away some of it and needed to throw away a bit of it too. Unfortunately, it will be a while before we can build it back up again because we have some bills that need to be paid off first.

This time I will be wiser and not make some of the mistakes I made before. For instance, I will not store a bunch of stuff that we don't like to eat, just because it was on sale, and I won't buy cheap toilet paper that irritates and scratches.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Matchmaker wrote: December 28th, 2017, 1:59 am I won't buy cheap toilet paper that irritates and scratches.
Get a bidet :evil:

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

One argument I have had with "Over the top" preppers is that I would rather starve than gun down my starving neighbors. That Is why I don't feel a need or desire to own a great armory.

So the answer to the question has always been, I don't know, I don't know how many people I will be feeding.

Regards,

George Clay

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

gclayjr wrote: December 28th, 2017, 7:12 am One argument I have had with "Over the top" preppers is that I would rather starve than gun down my starving neighbors. That Is why I don't feel a need or desire to own a great armory.

So the answer to the question has always been, I don't know, I don't know how many people I will be feeding.

Regards,

George Clay
This is a tribute to you that you are a good person. Of course it wouldn't be good to gun down a starving neighbor. But I think if you look at the scriptures you will notice a couple of examples to help you with this situation. Example 1, Lehi was told by the Lord where to go (out of Jerusalem). Also, second example is Ether 9:3 And the Lord warned Omer in a dream that he should depart out of the land; wherefore Omer departed out of the land with his family, and traveled many days, and came over and passed by the hill of Shim, and came over by the place where the Nephites were destroyed, and from thence eastward, and came to a place which was called Ablom, by the seashore, and there he pitched his tent, and also his sons and his daughters, and all his household, save it were Jared and his family. (What's also interesting is that it says in verse 9 that others came over and also fled to dwell with this guy. So he wasn't alone! That is a type of comfort. It also doesn't say how they found them, so you know it must have been inspiration to gather faithful people together.)
buffalo_girl wrote: August 28th, 2010, 7:16 pm
I did buy a year's supply of t-paper only to discover it's the wrong kind for a septic system. Of course, if the power is down we won't have water to flush a toilet anyway. Power for water pumps, etc. is a serious issue, too. We do have both gas and pto driven generators, but if fuel becomes scarce those may not be usable.

I have a pretty good supply of lamp oil and several kerosene lamps. Need more of that.

We have both wood burning heating & cooking stoves. There is plenty of wood in the wind break rows. We probably need more manual wood cutting tools. Chain saws need fuel, too.

Also how do you guys determine which non-food items to do? This part seems like a whole other area that's hard to figure out. It could be a huge other thing that I feel like I am lacking in. I wish there was a tutorial on this part.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

gclayjr wrote: December 28th, 2017, 7:12 am One argument I have had with "Over the top" preppers is that I would rather starve than gun down my starving neighbors. That Is why I don't feel a need or desire to own a great armory.

Regards,

George Clay
George
What will you do if an armed group comes to steal your food supply, not to share it with you, but just to take it with them and are going to leave you with nothing?
What then? You just stand back and let them take it?

I don't mean your neighbors. I mean armed gangs coming out from the big cities. What then?
dc

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

To Silver Pie's question "I have not heard the Church talk about a year's supply for a looong time. Is it still a doctrine?" I never understood preparedness to be "Church doctrine" or a principle of the gospel. But compliance does, I believe, come under the principle of obedience.

That question also raises another question: There are principles of the gospel that the Church promoted years ago but no longer promotes. Are we still responsible to comply with a principle that the Church no longer promotes? Maybe I'll address this concern under a new topic.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

David13 wrote: December 28th, 2017, 8:58 am

Regards,

George Clay
George
What will you do if an armed group comes to steal your food supply, not to share it with you, but just to take it with them and are going to leave you with nothing?

I don't mean your neighbors. I mean armed gangs coming out from the big cities. What then?
dc
Is this too naive answer:
Matt. 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

inho wrote: December 28th, 2017, 9:27 am

Regards,

George Clay
George

dc
Matt. 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.

It's an answer that reminds me of Orlando in Arden forest in Shakespeare's As You Like It. Take a look at that such encounter, and see how it plays out in this scenario.

But, on a more serious and responsive note, take a look at:

Alma 43: 45 - 47

45 Nevertheless, the Nephites were inspired by a better cause, for they were not fighting for monarchy nor power but they were fighting for their homes and their liberties, their wives and their children, and their all, yea, for their rites of worship and their church.

46 And they were doing that which they felt was the duty which they owed to their God; for the Lord had said unto them, and also unto their fathers, that: Inasmuch as ye are not guilty of the first offense, neither the second, ye shall not suffer yourselves to be slain by the hands of your enemies.

47 And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed. Therefore for this cause were the Nephites contending with the Lamanites, to defend themselves, and their families, and their lands, their country, and their rights, and their religion.

Then tell me where we stand when the barbarians, the heathens come to take your food supply, and either leave you to starve, or rape and plunder and pillage, and kill you.
dc

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

David13 wrote: December 28th, 2017, 9:38 am
inho wrote: December 28th, 2017, 9:27 am

Regards,

George Clay
George

dc

It's an answer that reminds me of Orlando in Arden forest in Shakespeare's As You Like It. Take a look at that such encounter, and see how it plays out in this scenario.

But, on a more serious and responsive note, take a look at:

Alma 43: 45 - 47

45 Nevertheless, the Nephites were inspired by a better cause, for they were not fighting for monarchy nor power but they were fighting for their homes and their liberties, their wives and their children, and their all, yea, for their rites of worship and their church.

46 And they were doing that which they felt was the duty which they owed to their God; for the Lord had said unto them, and also unto their fathers, that: Inasmuch as ye are not guilty of the first offense, neither the second, ye shall not suffer yourselves to be slain by the hands of your enemies.

47 And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed. Therefore for this cause were the Nephites contending with the Lamanites, to defend themselves, and their families, and their lands, their country, and their rights, and their religion.

Then tell me where we stand when the barbarians, the heathens come to take your food supply, and either leave you to starve, or rape and plunder and pillage, and kill you.
dc
Sometimes I have entertained the thought that one should use force only when one's religious freedoms are threatened. That was the case for the Nephites in the scripture you quoted. D&C 134:7 says that governments have the right to pass all kinds of laws as long as the religious freedom is protected. We have scriptures like Matt. 5:39-40 I quoted, or D&C 98:22-31, which give the impression that one shouldn't resist bad people. In the perspective of eternities, what does it matter if someone steals from you or even kills you?
These are just thoughts I've had and I'm not sure if I believe them even myself.