Year supply prepareness poll

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.

Commerce has ceased. We can live off our supplies for?

Our family can live off our goods for at least one year
69%
Our family could live for a while but not one year
31%
We just begun working on it
No votes
I guess it is time to start preparing
No votes
Never heard of a years supply, what is it?
No votes

Total votes: 26
gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Re: Year supply prepareness poll

Post by gardener4life »

lundbaek wrote: December 28th, 2017, 8:59 am To Silver Pie's question "I have not heard the Church talk about a year's supply for a looong time. Is it still a doctrine?" I never understood preparedness to be "Church doctrine" or a principle of the gospel. But compliance does, I believe, come under the principle of obedience.

That question also raises another question: There are principles of the gospel that the Church promoted years ago but no longer promotes. Are we still responsible to comply with a principle that the Church no longer promotes? Maybe I'll address this concern under a new topic.
I think if you think what are the basic principles of the gospel you can't go wrong.

Faith, repentance, self sufficiency, self improvement, sacrament, ordinances and so on.

Where people get confused is they worry about what their neighbors will think if they are caught talking about food storage. Or they worry about being too cool to talk about self sufficiency and being thought of as nerds. Then they have to have all this new stuff with monthly payments. If you think about it like that and in terms of the basics of Alma 31, 32, and 33 you won't go wrong. (31 and 33 are helpful but 32 is about faith like a tiny seed...simple simple ideas. 33 is showing us to not worry about what other thinks and really open up to what's real even if its unpopular because we don't belong in the world anyway.)

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

[/quote]

Sometimes I have entertained the thought that one should use force only when one's religious freedoms are threatened. That was the case for the Nephites in the scripture you quoted. D&C 134:7 says that governments have the right to pass all kinds of laws as long as the religious freedom is protected. We have scriptures like Matt. 5:39-40 I quoted, or D&C 98:22-31, which give the impression that one shouldn't resist bad people. In the perspective of eternities, what does it matter if someone steals from you or even kills you?
These are just thoughts I've had and I'm not sure if I believe them even myself.
[/quote]

This is a great thought. It's common that everyone is thinking a question like this. So if you have even thought of it it means you are trying to be good.

I think I have a few scriptural thoughts to help you.

in 1 Nephi Laman & Lemuel try to make their father think Nephi was the one that was bad. (This is a danger to us in two forms. First being drawn into the affairs of the world. Also those on the sidelines its hard for them to see who is right when they see Nephi Vs Laman and Lemuel when they don't know how awesome Nephi is.)

Another example of this; King Noah and his wicked priests accuse Abinadi of being contentious when it was necessary sometimes for him to tell them they were wrong because there were victims and they were going down a bad path. Sometimes we have to be vocal when there are innocents and victims.

There were times in the Book of Mormon when the peace of the church and the governement was threatened where they were asked to stand up for what's right and make a stand. But they didn't and were encouraged to avoid individual fighting and individual contentions. (Defend against the nephites, their families, homes were threatened and not about individualism. But in other areas you read they would contend with one another and smite one another with their fists and that it was wicked.)

Think, is there personal gain involved? Or community defense/community health/church and saints of God, or innocents health spiritually or physically?

Also if someone is stealing or killing then feeding their bad habit will encourage it more. If they steal from you then they will be stealing from others. Habits mean many victims.

I hope that helps.
Last edited by gardener4life on December 28th, 2017, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

David13,
George
What will you do if an armed group comes to steal your food supply, not to share it with you, but just to take it with them and are going to leave you with nothing?
What then? You just stand back and let them take it?

I don't mean your neighbors. I mean armed gangs coming out from the big cities. What then?
dc
I don't doubt that there will be many tough decisions, I think we do our best to follow God's command and then trust to him. (By the way, I have never seen any church lessons, manuals or anything else regarding guns and self defense).

Also, if an armed gang were to come, to take my stuff, it is very likely that there will be a pile of corpses, including my own. I think that if you were known to help your neighbors, then your neighbors will be more willing to band together to help protect you, their supply of food, and together you will have a better chance against that armed band of thugs.

Regards,

George Clay

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

I forgot to include this.

Why do you have to sometimes defend others, and defend truth? But such defense is spiritual not physical, like not allowing bullying or singling people out but not actually harming or doing anything physical. We use our voices of reason and truth, not our guns. This is a war of truth vs error spiritually.

"...the wicked taketh the truth to be hard..." (They hate that truth exposes them.)

"...they put to death every nephite that will not deny the faith...." (The wicked hate the righteous.)

It is the aim of the great and abominable church of the devil to destroy the Saints of God (This is straight from scripture) (and torture them, bind them up, put them into captivity)

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Self reliance is a gospel principle. Food storage and emergency preparedness are a part of self reliance. So yes, food storage is a gospel principle.

Marion G. Romney stated this in the April 1979 General Conference, “Never forget this matter of providing for yourselves, even though you don't hear as much about it now as you did a few years ago. Remember that it is still a fundamental principle, one that has been taught the Saints ever since they came to these valleys of the mountains.”

Yes you can store a years supply of toilet paper without much hassle. Yes you can store a year supply of fuel to cook.

Here are some helpful thoughts on preparedness: preppercop.blogspot.com
Last edited by mirkwood on December 28th, 2017, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

buffalo_girl wrote: August 28th, 2010, 7:16 pm
... We probably need more manual wood cutting tools. ...

These curved saws rock :!:

Great for defense against feral dogs and humans too. :lol:

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

BeNotDeceived wrote: December 28th, 2017, 4:40 pm
buffalo_girl wrote: August 28th, 2010, 7:16 pm
... We probably need more manual wood cutting tools. ...

These curved saws rock :!:

Great for defense against feral dogs and humans too. :lol:
Well if you say it like that then you are on the wrong forum with this post. This obviously should go on the mutant zombie forum with that post instead. XD
Last edited by gardener4life on December 28th, 2017, 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Food items are the basics because we eat what we store.
Lots of wheat, oats, rice, beans with seasonal produce/plants. We have found the 3 month supply really lasts a year if you use it to make the long term stuff taste better.

As for non-food. We try to store what we would need for the most basic health and survival. Sanitation is on that list so yes, toilet paper. But it is important to research what people did in the past and even try them out so you have options in the future if this is not just a situation of unemployment.

For example: toilet paper. You can actually use cloth and wash it. If it is hard to get your mind around, just think of cloth diapers. You have a pieces for each family member (color coded cloth would work well) that hangs on hooks and you don't mix the pee cloth with the other cloth. Pee cloths may be re-used for a short time, the other must be washed after each use. (Haven't done this myself, read it on a blog from a family that was ACTUALLY homesteading and using this method.)

Feminine hygiene. Options include: storing sea sponges that can be rinsed and re-used. These are actual sea sponges and are available for purchase at many health food stores. (Tried it, not my favorite option.) People would collect both actual cotton and the wisps from cottonwood trees and sew them in fabric. These are stored in a bucket of cold water after use and until washing time. They need to be replaced with some frequency.

If you do put in an outhouse, I read that you need to regularly dump lye water into the hole to keep the smell and germs down. (If I remember, it is monthly.)

Learning about water filtration and purification would be top on my list since you can only store so much.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

gclayjr wrote: December 28th, 2017, 7:12 am One argument I have had with "Over the top" preppers is that I would rather starve than gun down my starving neighbors. That Is why I don't feel a need or desire to own a great armory.
Triple Amen to this!