Saw a dead dog on the road.

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
DEEPER storm
captain of 100

Saw a dead dog on the road.

Post by DEEPER storm »

And it looked pretty bad. I knew this was going to happen with all the dogs walking across the street slowly in this town. I felt no emotion about it i need to get my heart back i think. I always feel bad when I see an animal which has been run over by a car. It doesn't matter whether it's a wild animal or a pet. I figure that the poor thing was simply trying to find food or just enjoying its life.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Saw a dead dog on the road.

Post by David13 »

It is a sad situation.
I was in Los Angeles for many many years, and saw hundreds of them. Particularly the Mexicans, they have this idea that dogs are supposed to run in the street. They just have a problem with fencing in or tying up their dogs (witness this wholesale in Mexico).
Dead dogs, that is.
There was one street near me and there was a dead skunk on it every other week.
Possums, cats, you name.
On the highway, out here I have seen hundreds of deer. Also cow. All dead by the road. In Mexico I had seen a number of dead horses. Fences cost money and they spend their money on the horses.
Just this year I was riding (motorcycle) here, in the freezing snow, and for some reason I had a thought about seeing an animal on the road dying. In less than 5 miles I came across a deer right in front of me, his legs kicking out, straight out, he had just been hit and was kicking the death throes, trying to get up.
A pickup, who probably hit him, had stopped and was about to turn around, hopefully to put him out of the misery.
Also this year, on the freeway in Los Angeles a dead dog, directly in front of me, I think he was dead, but just recently hit, I had no choice but to straddle him, I didn't want the tires on him, and I heard him bang on the underside of the car.
So sad.
But it's a function of the increase in human population and the resultant increase in cars and the spread of human habitat over what was their territory.
Or just Mexicans letting dogs run loose. Or someone just dumping him out somewhere. So sad.
dc

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

As a kid I used to think that roadkill was cool. I always Rubberneckd to look at the tragic / gory details. Another phenomenon of my youth was wondering why Bob Barker at the end of "the price is right" show would always make a plug for the importance of spading and neutering your animals. Then I got sent to Kentucky in the mid-90s on my mission. My first area was on the Tennessee Border in the Daniel Boone National Forest. This was my first introduction to Wild packs of dogs. I still have a memory of that first area of a big old dog with his head severed and his mouth open face down on the road looking as though it was biting the road. I saw so many dead dogs possums all sorts of animals on the side of the roads in Kentucky. To this day I shudder when I see a dead animal off in the distance. Absolutely i can't bare to look roadkill compliments of my two years in that neck of the woods. It didn't take too long into the mission where the mystery of Bob Barker's petition was answered clearly for me.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Years and years ago I was doing some insect abatement work for farmers in a small community. They all hated raccoons because they'd eat/kill their stuff, small animals/pets included. After leaving one farmers place who was upset because raccoons had gotten into his cages of birds and did a number on them, I saw a family of raccoons crossing the road in front of me and I hit them head on. I think I got 3. That same Summer a stubborn skunk was walking down the middle of a narrow road and wouldn't get out of the way. I straddled it hoping it wouldn't dart to a side, but it did. Back tire ran over it. Truck stayed parked outside the shop for a few days. I don't recall hitting any other animals.

My daughter is learning to drive and I've taught her not to swerve if an animal is on the road. My next door neighbor died as a result of swerving to miss an animal. He rolled his Jeep and died in front of his kids while waiting for help in rural southern Utah.

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

Went to Nauvoo this summer to visit my in-laws on their mission. As we were driving to our hotel ina nearby town at night, a raccoon ran right for our front tire. I was hoping the best for him but we heard that awful thump. If we had swerved, which we were not tempted to do, we would have gone straight into the Mississippi. It was sad and made everyone, especially my husband who was driving, a little sick. I comforted myself with the thought that it was quick and he was in raccoon heaven.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

True wrote: October 22nd, 2017, 11:49 pm Went to Nauvoo this summer to visit my in-laws on their mission. As we were driving to our hotel ina nearby town at night, a raccoon ran right for our front tire. I was hoping the best for him but we heard that awful thump. If we had swerved, which we were not tempted to do, we would have gone straight into the Mississippi. It was sad and made everyone, especially my husband who was driving, a little sick. I comforted myself with the thought that it was quick and he was in raccoon heaven.
I'm not sure raccoons go to heaven. I think they answer directly to satan and go to outer darkness.
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

shadow wrote: October 22nd, 2017, 11:02 pm Years and years ago I was doing some insect abatement work for farmers in a small community. They all hated raccoons because they'd eat/kill their stuff, small animals/pets included. After leaving one farmers place who was upset because raccoons had gotten into his cages of birds and did a number on them, I saw a family of raccoons crossing the road in front of me and I hit them head on. I think I got 3. That same Summer a stubborn skunk was walking down the middle of a narrow road and wouldn't get out of the way. I straddled it hoping it wouldn't dart to a side, but it did. Back tire ran over it. Truck stayed parked outside the shop for a few days. I don't recall hitting any other animals.

My daughter is learning to drive and I've taught her not to swerve if an animal is on the road. My next door neighbor died as a result of swerving to miss an animal. He rolled his Jeep and died in front of his kids while waiting for help in rural southern Utah.
Deer are evil killers. They have killed many people, including many motorcyclists.

It's important to remember, particularly on a motorcycle, don't swerve and miss the animal, but go off the road, off a cliff, into a tree, etc and die, while the deer merrily trots off to kill someone else.
Hit the forest rat, stay on the road. Sometimes even then the deer manages to kill you.
dc

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

David13 wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 7:56 am
shadow wrote: October 22nd, 2017, 11:02 pm Years and years ago I was doing some insect abatement work for farmers in a small community. They all hated raccoons because they'd eat/kill their stuff, small animals/pets included. After leaving one farmers place who was upset because raccoons had gotten into his cages of birds and did a number on them, I saw a family of raccoons crossing the road in front of me and I hit them head on. I think I got 3. That same Summer a stubborn skunk was walking down the middle of a narrow road and wouldn't get out of the way. I straddled it hoping it wouldn't dart to a side, but it did. Back tire ran over it. Truck stayed parked outside the shop for a few days. I don't recall hitting any other animals.

Deer are evil killers. They have killed many people, including many motorcyclists.

It's important to remember, particularly on a motorcycle, don't swerve and miss the animal, but go off the road, off a cliff, into a tree, etc and die, while the deer merrily trots off to kill someone else.
Hit the forest rat, stay on the road. Sometimes even then the deer manages to kill you.
dc

Oh chuckle----you funny... :lol:

kgrigio
captain of 100

Post by kgrigio »

Living in the Midwest where we have lots of coons and deer on the roadways, I always teach my kids to never serve to miss an animal. I have seen some serious accidents from people trying to avoid hitting animals. I took out a cat the other day driving rather fast down a country road on my way to work. I may be cold hearted, but I didn't bat an eye or worry a bit, it's part of life. There was nothing that I could have done to avoid it. This time of year, with the harvest in full swing, animals are everywhere as their daily routine is interrupted with the harvest and they are trying to get ready for winter. I can't count the number of dead coons on my 45 min drive into work each day, but it is staggering.

I used to have the philosophy that I will brake for all animals, except cougars ;) , but not anymore.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

David13 wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 7:56 am Deer are e̶v̶i̶l̶ delicious killers. They have killed many people, including many motorcyclists.
Fixed that for you.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

brianj wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 9:14 pm
David13 wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 7:56 am Deer are e̶v̶i̶l̶ delicious killers. They have killed many people, including many motorcyclists.
Fixed that for you.

Depends on how they are cooked. And I suppose by whom they are cooked. And usually they are cooked when they are dead. Statistics show that very few of them kill motorcycle riders, truck drivers or car drivers after they are dead.

But as long as they are anywhere near a road, drivers and riders lives are in jeopardy.
dc

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Ta9CMOY1.jpg
Ta9CMOY1.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 1102 times

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

David13 wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 7:56 am Deer are evil killers. They have killed many people, including many motorcyclists.
I bought a 1987 Suzuki Samurai in October 1986, first and probably only new vehicle I'll buy. A few years later when I was working as an EMT at the Bingham Canyon Mine I hit and killed a deer just outside of Copperton. The dent is still in the hood of my 30 year old Samurai as a warning to all deer: I have killed, and I can and will kill again if I must.

By the way, I now have an ARB Bullbar on front to kill deer more efficiently.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

skmo wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 11:13 pm
I bought a 1987 Suzuki Samurai in October 1986...
Well that explains a lot :P

JK4Woods
captain of 1,000

Post by JK4Woods »

Took a family camping trip to Yosemite a year and a half ago right before my son left on his mission. Drove the back way from Nevada to Bishop. My wife pulled an all nighter (like she used to in college) and made the drive over the mountain passes in the pitch dark, without another car on the road for hours at a time.

The rabbits were so thick, they’d hunker down on the side of the road then dart across in front of the car. She hit over thirty that night. Grimacing each and every time, but didn’t put us sleeping family at risk by swerving.

I bought her one of those expensive S'well bottles that said Yosemite National Park at the gift shop as reward for making it thru such a horrific thudding night of driving.

When we pulled up back home, the family dog spent 40 minutes sniffing the front and underside of the car....
Last edited by JK4Woods on October 25th, 2017, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

shadow wrote: October 24th, 2017, 6:36 pm
skmo wrote: October 23rd, 2017, 11:13 pm
I bought a 1987 Suzuki Samurai in October 1986...
Well that explains a lot :P
Hey, now, we'll have no ill-speaking of Suzi. She's a tough little chick with over 218,000 miles on her and I'm still crazy about her. One of the really nice things I like about her is that apart from aftermarket add-ons every single nut and bolt is either 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 19mm, or phillips head. Five sockets (one of which is the 19mm spark plug wrench) two open end or 5 combo wrenches, and a screwdriver. I can take the whole thing apart. It's so freakin' easy to work on, too.

I have a few changes I'll likely make next Summer. I'm finally going to take the engine out to do a full rebuild, in which I'm going to install a more torquey cam, and there's a new carb fix I'm really excited about: They're making a kit so I can use a 44mm Harley Davidson carburetor. Yes, a motorcycle carb for my Samurai. Better flow, more power, and easier to get jets and parts.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

skmo wrote: October 25th, 2017, 5:37 am

I have a few changes I'll likely make next Summer.
I'm sure you do.
The skmo way
The skmo way
01fc7f676ad5e354bc908ae9461c613c--truck-memes-funny-memes.jpg (34.79 KiB) Viewed 861 times
Attachments
zookie.jpg
zookie.jpg (10.01 KiB) Viewed 861 times

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I almost ran over a cat last night. Twice. Stupid thing seemed to want to get run over.

Walked up the walk of the woman we were visiting, a few houses down. The cat followed us, stretched out on the walk.

"Is that your cat?"

"Yes."

"I almost hit it, twice. It came straight at the car, didn't run away."

"Yes, she's very chill. I don't know how she got out."

Seemed she was chiller than her cat almost being killed, twice, and perhaps even thought cats could pass through walls...

///
DEEPER storm,

It can be easy to start feeling "loss of emotion" towards some situations and in some environments; it can be a good reminder of how we are doing.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

In Australia it is a daily occurrence dead animals on the roads, it is one of my jobs at work to euthanasia wildlife that gets hit by traffic at the work site. It gets kind of comical running after injured animals trying to hit them on the head with a 10 pound hammer or a crow bar my weapons of choice.
In the state of Queensland they even give course on euthanasia of injured wildlife and how to make a determination on when to do it. By law all vets have to treat for free any injured native wildlife that you give them...

All company vehicles including small cars have roo/bull bars on them. It is mad max on a daily basis...

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Spaced_Out wrote: October 26th, 2017, 3:58 pm In Australia it is a daily occurrence dead animals on the roads, it is one of my jobs at work to euthanasia wildlife that gets hit by traffic at the work site. It gets kind of comical running after injured animals trying to hit them on the head with a 10 pound hammer or a crow bar my weapons of choice.
In the state of Queensland they even give course on euthanasia of injured wildlife and how to make a determination on when to do it. By law all vets have to treat for free any injured native wildlife that you give them...

All company vehicles including small cars have roo/bull bars on them. It is mad max on a daily basis...

If you could use a rifle I would ask how much it pays, how to land that job, and how to emigrate to Australia.

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

Ran over a giant jackrabbit tonight.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Spaced_Out wrote: October 26th, 2017, 3:58 pm In Australia it is a daily occurrence dead animals on the roads, it is one of my jobs at work to euthanasia wildlife that gets hit by traffic at the work site.
Oh, c'mon, we all know what kind of cars they drive in Australia...
Mad Max.jpg
Mad Max.jpg (35.8 KiB) Viewed 686 times

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

shadow wrote: October 25th, 2017, 9:55 am
skmo wrote: October 25th, 2017, 5:37 am
I have a few changes I'll likely make next Summer.
I'm sure you do.
The person who jacked up that Samurai like it was a Chinese Hot Wheels imitation should be forced to eat 144 boxes of Twinkies.

Here's mine:
IMG_1290.JPG
IMG_1290.JPG (248.52 KiB) Viewed 683 times

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Spaced_Out wrote: October 26th, 2017, 3:58 pm Image

Looks like some people are ready for the Nov 4 Antifa rally.