Strong Evidence for NeoCon/Liberal - Deseret News Nexus

Discussion of principles relating to God's Law, Agency, Freedom, Liberty, the US constitution, and the Proper Role of Government.
larsenb
captain of 1,000
Posts: 4137
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:32 pm
Location: Between here and Standing Rock

Strong Evidence for NeoCon/Liberal - Deseret News Nexus

Postby larsenb » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:45 pm

This was written in response to Fiannan's thread: "McMuffin helped to get Republican defeated", and basically provides at least part of the answer he posed by asking: "Who is behind this dude, anyway?" see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47006#p819479

There was an article in last Saturday's Deseret News ( November 4th), "A call to protect principles of freedom" that sheds some light on this. The article is about a 'seminar' given to the Deseret News and KSL editorial boards by Bill Kristol, billed as "an outspoken conservative critic of President Donald Trump". The seminar was also attended by Mitt Romney, Sen. Mike Lee and Boyd Matheson, president of the Sutherland Institute. So, go figure.

The article says: "Kristol, . . . . helped recruit BYU graduate Evan McMullin to run as an independent candidate for president last year".

The claim that Evans was picked to actually run for the Presidency with the idea of perhaps winning it is disingenuous because McMullin entered the race very late in the game and by his own admission, he only did so with the express purpose of pulling votes away from Trump and throwing the election into the House, not to win the election per se.

And one has to wonder whether Evan is related to Keith B. McMullin, who is president and CEO of Deseret Management Corporation ( http://deseretmanagement.com/about-us/leadership-team/ ; he was also a member of the Presiding Bishopric and a GA [member of one of the '70's quorums?]).

The fact that the Deseret News pushed Evan so hard and relentlessly lends credence to this possible connection, IMHO.

So who is Bill Kristol? He is a son of Irving Kristol, who was a managing editor of Commentary (I used to subscribe, before I woke up) among other things. Irving, along w/Midge Dector, et al, who come from the same group, belonged to Trotskyist groups in their earlier lives. BIll Kristol was also a co-founder of the Project for the New American Century (PNAC). So there you have it. QED on steroids.

These folks are almost the core of Neoconservatism and would be billed as Neocons, and are one of the point groups for 'Globalism'. They are certainly Straussian, as well, and could be described as global authoritarians in the Hobbesian sense. Conservative, they ain't. This is just their cover.

And when you couple this association with the recent interview that Doug Wilks, the DesNews' Chief Editor, had with Martin Baron, Editor of the Washington Post (Inside the newsroom: Talking fake news with the editor of The Washington Post: https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... -post.html ), the Deseret News mind set is even further illuminated.

Baron takes what may be one of Trump's more hyperbolic statements about 'fake news' (if the quote is even accurate), and conflates it into the idea that Trump really isn't addressing actual 'fake news' (including highly biased/slanted 'news'), which abounds in CNN, WP and the NYT. One gets the impression that Wilks positively revels in being able to bask in the 'preeminence' of the WP chief editor.

This connection is reinforced when you consider that Clark Gilbert, a recent former president and CEO of the Deseret News, is a former Harvard Business School professor, who has "made the newspaper industry the focus of much of his academic work and consulted with The New York Times and The Washington Post" ( https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... ditor.html )

So clearly, with the stories about these two recent seminars/interviews (Bill Kristol and WP Chief Editor), I would say the Deseret News has completely unmasked and uncloaked itself. No wonder they have been so anti-Trump, no wonder they avoid 9/11 truth, no wonder they were an acting arm of the NY Times, the Washington Post and AP (still an arm of AP).

You could also throw into the mix Jim Bennett, the son of ex Sen. Bob Bennett, starting a new 'centrist' or 'moderate' party' (United Utah Party ) and trying to co-op the traditional Republican Party. Another principal in this new party is Richard Davis, a BYU leftist PolySci Professor, who generally writes the most horrible 'left-wing'/liberal OpEds for the Deseret News that I've seen in the paper. Jim Bennett has been a regular columnist for the Deseret News for a few years, as well.

It somehow all becomes crystal clear.

The really disturbing thing to me is, in so far as the Brethren use groups such as these to get up to speed on things political, it begins to make sense why Bro. Ballard and Anderson lapse into the misuse of such terms as 'nationalism' and 'individualism', in effect turning perfectly good words into terms of opprobrium.

I wonder how far this trend will develop?
Last edited by larsenb on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

Sponsored Links

Advertisements

Medical Cost Sharing - It's not insurance it's better!

EmmaLee
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2935
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:46 pm

Re: Strong Evidence for NeoCon/Liberal - Deseret News Nexus

Postby EmmaLee » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Excellent and informative post - thank you, larsenb. Just FYI, Clark Gilbert is the current president of BYU-Idaho (the actual, physical, university in Rexburg, not the Pathways Program), which is rapidly becoming just as leftist as the BYU campus in Provo, sadly.

http://www.byui.edu/president/past-pres ... -g-gilbert

I think your analysis is spot on, and this leftist trend in the Deseret News (and other pseudo LDS publications - online and otherwise - like 'LDSLiving') has been going on for several years now - and it's getting more obvious and blatant. Really makes you wonder about some things...
Arguing with a fool only proves there are two.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 8330
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:48 pm
Location: Mesa, Arizona

Re: Strong Evidence for NeoCon/Liberal - Deseret News Nexus

Postby lundbaek » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:57 pm

If BYU and BYUI, and any other Church university were really becoming leftest, and I think they are, I would think the First Presidency would come down on them like President McKay did on BYU in the 1960s. Disa no maka sensa to me.

larsenb
captain of 1,000
Posts: 4137
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:32 pm
Location: Between here and Standing Rock

Re: Strong Evidence for NeoCon/Liberal - Deseret News Nexus

Postby larsenb » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:33 pm

Unfortunately, if the Brethren get much of their political information from confabs with entities such as the editorial boards of KSL and the Deseret New, the Sutherland Institute, the editors of the Washington Post, etc., and perhaps people from the Hinkley Institute of Politics and people such as Mitt Romney . . . . . what would one expect.

Bill Kristol, the ultimate neocon, lecturing the KSL and Deseret News on political realities?? What's with that??

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated
Posts: 9060
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: Strong Evidence for NeoCon/Liberal - Deseret News Nexus

Postby Fiannan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:33 pm

larsenb wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:33 pm
Unfortunately, if the Brethren get much of their political information from confabs with entities such as the editorial boards of KSL and the Deseret New, the Sutherland Institute, the editors of the Washington Post, etc., and perhaps people from the Hinkley Institute of Politics and people such as Mitt Romney . . . . . what would one expect.

Bill Kristol, the ultimate neocon, lecturing the KSL and Deseret News on political realities?? What's with that??
If you have seen Lord of the Rings you will get the context of this:

Image
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
Plato

larsenb
captain of 1,000
Posts: 4137
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:32 pm
Location: Between here and Standing Rock

Re: Strong Evidence for NeoCon/Liberal - Deseret News Nexus

Postby larsenb » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:27 pm

Here are extracts from a question/answer session with Elder Ballard as a recent BYU devotional. Elder Ballard very candidly states he is not an expert on everything and members should not expect that kind of infallibility or omniscience from him. Very candid and realistic of him. A breath of fresh-air.

The article is: Elder M. Russell Ballard tackles tough topics, shares timely advice with BYU students (at: https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... dents.html ):

. . . . . . . Recognizing he wouldn’t be able to address every question, Elder Ballard said reviewing the questions has been a blessing to him because it has given him the opportunity to consider the issues and challenges facing young adults today.

“My calling and life experiences allow me to respond to certain types of questions,” he said. “There are other types of questions that require an expert in a specific subject matter. That is exactly what I do when I need an answer to such questions. I seek help from others, including those with degrees and expertise in such fields.”

Sharing that he worries sometimes “that members expect too much from Church leaders and teachings — expecting them to be experts in subjects well beyond their duties and responsibilities,” Elder Ballard reminded listeners of his role as an Apostle — to invite others to come unto Christ.

“If you have a question that requires an expert, please take the time to find a thoughtful and qualified expert to help you,” he said. “There are many on this campus and elsewhere who have the degrees and expertise to respond and give some insight to most of these types of questions.”
. . . . .

Elder Ballard addressed a question about how a person can move forward after a Church leader has done something that hurt his or her trust.

“I know this happens because the Lord has only mortals to work with as He invites us to receive His blessings, ordinances and words,” he replied. “I can imagine how you feel because we live in a world where people sometimes say hurtful things, misuse the trust they have been given, and don’t always live Jesus’s teachings as they should. We are, after all, human — we are fallible, flawed and imperfect.” . . . . . . .

Sasquatch
captain of 50
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:35 pm
Location: Washington

Re: Strong Evidence for NeoCon/Liberal - Deseret News Nexus

Postby Sasquatch » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:18 pm

Fiannan wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:33 pm
larsenb wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:33 pm
Unfortunately, if the Brethren get much of their political information from confabs with entities such as the editorial boards of KSL and the Deseret New, the Sutherland Institute, the editors of the Washington Post, etc., and perhaps people from the Hinkley Institute of Politics and people such as Mitt Romney . . . . . what would one expect.

Bill Kristol, the ultimate neocon, lecturing the KSL and Deseret News on political realities?? What's with that??
If you have seen Lord of the Rings you will get the context of this:

Image
Of course, I don't think Bill Kristol murdered and possibly ate Pres. Monson's son, but your point still stands.

User avatar
Joel
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3728
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 am

Re: Strong Evidence for NeoCon/Liberal - Deseret News Nexus

Postby Joel » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:29 am

Perhaps influential Mormons gave their support for McMullin because they were hoping he would be church broke?



__________________________________________________________________

Neocon/Liberal support by influential mormons has always raised questions in my mind:


Image



During Mitt's Campaign: A Sample Of Mormon Donors



Image
Elder Lance B. Wickman, right, presents Senator Harry M. Reid with a Distinguished Public Service Award at the J. Reuben Clark Law Society Annual Fireside in the Conference Center. Source: https://www.lds.org/church/news/j-reube ... d?lang=eng


Image



Image






^^^^^ that reminds me of this clip :lol:


And it came to pass on the other hand, that the Nephites did build them up and support them, beginning at the more wicked part of them, until they had overspread all the land of the Nephites, and had seduced the more part of the righteous until they had come down to believe in their works and partake of their spoils, and to join with them in their secret murders and combinations. Helaman 6:38
Before the photoshop job :)

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000
Posts: 1536
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:53 pm
Location: tokyo, jpn

Re: Strong Evidence for NeoCon/Liberal - Deseret News Nexus

Postby sushi_chef » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:49 pm

president monsons son?? through a womb of elder bangarters daughter?? sister of julie b??

"October 27, 2016 by EmJen

You may have heard that Julie B. Beck, former Relief Society General President, offered the opening prayer at the Trump/Pence rally held in Utah last night.
"
https://bycommonconsent.com/2016/10/27/ ... al-prayer/
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search ... 20%20trump
:arrow:

simpleton
captain of 100
Posts: 350
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:06 pm

Re: Strong Evidence for NeoCon/Liberal - Deseret News Nexus

Postby simpleton » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:59 pm

it's very simple their all in bed together....

User avatar
Joel
captain of 1,000
Posts: 3728
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 am

Re: Strong Evidence for NeoCon/Liberal - Deseret News Nexus

Postby Joel » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:12 am

This is a Deseret News piece from last year putting forth the argument for compromising on religious freedom:
Joel wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:55 pm
LDS Church's chief lawyer says not all religious freedoms should be defended the same

PROVO — The top lawyer for the LDS Church proposed Thursday that people of faith should prioritize the defense of an innermost core of religious freedoms.

They also have to be willing to compromise on freedoms outside that core, said Elder Lance B. Wickman, general counsel for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and an emeritus General Authority Seventy.

"Please understand that in labeling some freedoms part of the 'core' of religious liberty, I am not suggesting that freedoms outside that core are unimportant or not worth defending," Elder Wickman said.

"What I am suggesting is that if we want to preserve religious freedom and live in peace in a society that is increasingly intolerant of faith, then we will have to be very clear about what matters most and make wise compromises in areas that matter less. Because if we don’t, we risk losing essential rights that we simply cannot live without."

Elder Wickman suggested a hierarchy of religious freedoms to an overflow audience of more than 300 in the BYU Conference Center during the university's third annual Religious Freedom Annual Review. The two-day conference drew experts in law and religion issues to provide an up-to-the-minute review of important developments in religious freedom law.

Speakers shared demographic and political trends that describe a decline in religiosity and support for religious institutions. "Religious liberty in America is in a troubled state," said Thomas Berg, a law and public policy professor at the University of St. Thomas.

Core freedoms

Elder Wickman assigned various religious freedoms to concentric circles.

The innermost core are basically non-negotiable, he said, and include personal belief and family worship and teaching, the free exercise of religion in public, including missionary work, and autonomy for churches in their internal affairs, such as establishing church doctrine, selecting leadership and determining membership.

The core includes the right of believers to the same free speech and expression in the public square as non-believers, he said. Believers also have the right "not to be punished, retaliated against or discriminated against by government based on religion" or to face a religious test for professions regulated by government.

Finally, the core includes protecting the nonprofit status and operation of religious organizations.

"Unless that core is strongly protected, there is no religious freedom as Americans have known it," Elder Wickman said. "These freedoms are essential to individual believers and their families in their private lives."

Other freedoms

Extending out from the innermost core, Elder Wickman described three additional circles. Near the core in the next circle, and vitally important, he said, are freedoms that pertain to the religiously important, nonprofit functions of religious organizations, such as the right to hire based on religious criteria.

For example, the LDS Church has a temple recommend standard for church employment. The right to establish religious schools, colleges and universities is near the core, too, including the freedom to establish student honor codes that reflect religious teachings. Religious charities also should have the right to operate according to their beliefs.

Commercial settings make up the third circle, labeled "moving beyond the core" by Elder Wickman. Here, he said "our expectations of unfettered religious freedom must be tempered."

"Businesses should not be forced to produce products or types of services that fundamentally conflict with their religious beliefs," he said, but secular businesses are limited by longstanding regulations and civil rights. This is a place to make prudential compromises, because a religious person's business is not able to reflect religious beliefs the same way a home or congregation can.
Here is Elder Wickman honoring Harry Reid
Joel wrote:
Image
Elder Lance B. Wickman, right, presents Senator Harry M. Reid with a Distinguished Public Service Award at the J. Reuben Clark Law Society Annual Fireside in the Conference Center. Source: https://www.lds.org/church/news/j-reube ... d?lang=eng
Before the photoshop job :)

EmmaLee
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2935
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:46 pm

Re: Strong Evidence for NeoCon/Liberal - Deseret News Nexus

Postby EmmaLee » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:31 pm

^ Makes me want to puke.
Arguing with a fool only proves there are two.

Lizzy60
captain of 1,000
Posts: 2356
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:33 pm

Re: Strong Evidence for NeoCon/Liberal - Deseret News Nexus

Postby Lizzy60 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:45 pm

^ You can buy anything in this world with money....and influence, and power.


Return to “Principles of Liberty”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jamescm and 35 guests