Hurricane in Puerto Rico?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Hurricane in Puerto Rico?

Post by gardener4life »

So what's up with how they will respond to the hurricane hitting Puerto Rico? Today this AM up until awhile ago Puerto Rico was being hit super hard. Basically no power on the island. And supposedly at least 3 million people live there. We'll know more later today on this.

Harvey hitting Houston = US state and taxpayers.
Florida = the same...
Jose is yet to hit but is expected to grow more before hitting mainland.

So...Puerto Rico has been pretty much giving us the bird for a long time rejecting statehood several times and in active rebellion to leach benefits but not actually support the government in any way shape or form. Plus most of the drugs from Central America come to the States through P.Rico, (but not those grown and processed in Mexico, though there may be some coming from there still.)

At any rate this is complicated.

One the one hand its not right to deny people in need and this is what can get us in trouble, cited in the scriptures. But on the other hand they've had plenty of chances to come into the country and reject it every time, and there's not enough to help everyone with many hurricanes hitting all at the same time. Its further complicated by the idea that its easy to pass through into there to fake citizenship, both to stay or continue on into the rest of the U.S. Many of the people there I don't know if they even consider themselves American in either belief, culture, or values even if they say they do. They also have a lot of non-citizens there from other places that are non-citizens from being similar to illegals, particular Dominicans.

It raises the issue too if you help them if you are helping another country's citizens in some ways.

This makes the response very complicated. We don't want to ignore suffering of the righteous or needy or anyone that needs help, but should they also get as much help as citizens in Florida and Texas? And we are going to be stretched tight this year already with recovery of everything at once from Harvey, Irma, and when Jose hits, which it will and it will also be a big storm. There won't be enough for everyone. When there isn't going to be enough to help everyone then the natural temptation will be to rob Peter to pay Paul.

And its likely some people in government will want to trim who is on Social Security or Disability or something else in order to feed these other people with so many disasters going on. If they do that it could happen that American citizens get put out for people that aren't citizens, and don't have our values.

So I'm not saying to not help them. But I wonder how they will work this out.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Re: Hurricane in Puerto Rico?

Post by ebenezerarise »

There's so much wrong with this post I don't even know where to start.

First of all, every Puerto Rican on that island is a US citizen. Every one of them. They are NOT a different country.

Your statement that "most of the drugs from Central America come to the States through P.Rico, (but not those grown and processed in Mexico, though there may be some coming from there still.)" is about as baseless and dumb a thing as I have ever heard. Do you even know where PR is on a map?

Good grief.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Re: Hurricane in Puerto Rico?

Post by gardener4life »

Do your research.

Do you think I just shot off my mouth? That's kind of naive don't you think? I'm not wrong on this in re: drugs. I didn't exaggerate. I went on facts and by what I'd seen and what people I trusted had seen who I knew. You just decided I was wrong from your ignorance. Some drugs go through Mexico, a lot go through Puerto Rico. This is a fact not an opinion. You didn't consider if I really was saying anything fact based but jut decided I was wrong. Ask return missionaries who served in San Juan what it looks like and how 'safe' it is there. They will tell you some scary stuff.

And it doesn't take a genius to look at a lot of the cultures coming in and see that many are not conforming. You can find all kinds of fact based research on this. --> Fewer than 20 percent of Puerto Ricans speak English fluently, according to the 1990 U.S. Census. You can also look at the whole science of what a chicano is in other states like California and others in trying to understand why they won't or will accept US culture and language or only come here for benefits.

Also why did the Puerto Rico hurricane get so little attention when you compare it with how many articles were out there for both the one that hit Houston and Florida.