The War Goes On

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
mirkwood
captain of 1,000

The War Goes On

Post by mirkwood »

The war that began in heaven continues to this day. In fact, the battle is heating up as the Saints prepare for the return of the Savior.

Anyone who follows international news will agree that we live in a time of “wars and rumors of wars” (D&C 45:26). Fortunately, everyone on earth is a war veteran. We have been battling the hosts of evil in an ongoing war that began in the premortal sphere before we were born.

Because we had not yet received physical bodies, we fought the War in Heaven without swords, guns, or bombs. But the fighting was just as intense as any modern war, and there were billions of casualties.

The premortal war was fought with words, ideas, debate, and persuasion (see Revelation 12:7–9, 11). Satan’s strategy was to frighten people. He knew that fear is the best way to destroy faith. He may have used arguments like these: “It’s too hard.” “It’s impossible to make it back clean.” “There’s too much risk.” “How do you know you can trust Jesus Christ?” He was very jealous of the Savior.

continues: https://www.lds.org/ensign/2017/04/the- ... n?lang=eng

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Re: The War Goes On

Post by Sunain »

Those of us that made it here on Earth to participate in the second estate are already showing faith in the Savior and the plan of salvation by choosing to be here. Life though is tough here but I believe that mercy and repentance are way bigger gifts than we tend to acknowledge.

Satan makes us believe that judgement will be harsh, painful and a stressful experience. I think by the time we get to final judgement, the knowledge and experience we have gained will be more significant than even our experience here on Earth. We still have way over a 1000 years to go for mortality on this Earth. I am not a parent yet, but I would like to think, like our Father in heaven must think, that he would do anything and give us every opportunity to be with Him for eternity. We will also be judged based on the desires of our heart. By the time we are judged, we'll probably already have an idea of the outcome and will be satisfied with His perfect judgement.

The war in heaven continues now and when Satan is loosed for a final time after the millennium, the final battle will take place. I always puzzle who would actually follow Satan after Jesus being on the Earth during that short space if time. I guess Satan and his followers will have 1000 years of built up anger that they will vent off.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

We have been discussing the Plan of Salvation last week and this in the Gospel Doctrine class I teach. These comments are right in line with my lessons.

Like Churchill said, "Never give up." The reward ahead is worth every bit of sacrifice we make now.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

I agree totally with everything that has been posted so far. I have thought much about "this war in Heaven" I have come to the conclusion that it was greater and more severe than we can imagine, that it was more than just a war of ideas, thoughts and words. That though we had spiritual bodies and not physical the cutting off from the Lords presence was similar to now. We die in stages, we exist even as our bodies die. A few thoughts, Cheribum was placed with a Flaming Sword to stop Adam from entering into the presence of the Lord or guarding the way. Why is it that there are those who come here and are disabled mentally and cannot commit sin, thus they are guaranteed that they shall not fall. I knew a couple whose son had downs syndrome. He wanted his patriarchal blessing, the patriarch stated in the blessing that he was so valiant in the war in heaven, that he was given the gift to come here and be loved and not have to continue the battle. The children that die before the age of 8 what did they do that was different from us, what was their battle. This struck me as interesting in Hugh Nibleys Enoch the Prophet pgs. 173 he quotes from some earlier books "Discourse of the Abbaton, being one. (Moses 1:19 I am the only Begotten, worship me"). G_d saw that Satan because of his boundless ambition and total lack of humility, could no longer be trusted with celestial power and commanded the angels to remove him from his office. This ordinance they preformed with great sorrow and reluctance. They " removed the writing of authority from his hand". They took from him his ARMOR land all the insignia of priesthood and kingship". Then with a ceremonial knife, a sickle, they inflicted upon him certain ceremonial blows of death which deprived him of his full strength forever after. Other accounts say that after these cuts he retained only one-third of his former power, even as he was followed by one-third of the hosts. Rev. discusses a beast who was" wounded with the sword yet lives" I think this is a title referring to Lucifer. The death of those in the preexistence (being cut off from the Lord) though they live here was more involved and IMO was more like a real war, we fight on different fronts, some do direct battle others support and sometimes reinforcements come to the aide. These are just some thoughts on the "Eternal War Still being fought on the final battlefield".

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Older/wiser? wrote: May 28th, 2017, 6:58 pm I agree totally with everything that has been posted so far. I have thought much about "this war in Heaven" I have come to the conclusion that it was greater and more severe than we can imagine, that it was more than just a war of ideas, thoughts and words. That though we had spiritual bodies and not physical the cutting off from the Lords presence was similar to now. We die in stages, we exist even as our bodies die. A few thoughts, Cheribum was placed with a Flaming Sword to stop Adam from entering into the presence of the Lord or guarding the way. Why is it that there are those who come here and are disabled mentally and cannot commit sin, thus they are guaranteed that they shall not fall. I knew a couple whose son had downs syndrome. He wanted his patriarchal blessing, the patriarch stated in the blessing that he was so valiant in the war in heaven, that he was given the gift to come here and be loved and not have to continue the battle. The children that die before the age of 8 what did they do that was different from us, what was their battle. This struck me as interesting in Hugh Nibleys Enoch the Prophet pgs. 173 he quotes from some earlier books "Discourse of the Abbaton, being one. (Moses 1:19 I am the only Begotten, worship me"). G_d saw that Satan because of his boundless ambition and total lack of humility, could no longer be trusted with celestial power and commanded the angels to remove him from his office. This ordinance they preformed with great sorrow and reluctance. They " removed the writing of authority from his hand". They took from him his ARMOR land all the insignia of priesthood and kingship". Then with a ceremonial knife, a sickle, they inflicted upon him certain ceremonial blows of death which deprived him of his full strength forever after. Other accounts say that after these cuts he retained only one-third of his former power, even as he was followed by one-third of the hosts. Rev. discusses a beast who was" wounded with the sword yet lives" I think this is a title referring to Lucifer. The death of those in the preexistence (being cut off from the Lord) though they live here was more involved and IMO was more like a real war, we fight on different fronts, some do direct battle others support and sometimes reinforcements come to the aide. These are just some thoughts on the "Eternal War Still being fought on the final battlefield".
I'm a bit out of it at the moment as I threw out my back so apologies if I missed this in your post above. From where did you receive the information on Satan's disfellowship? Please pm me if it's a pearl you'd rather not share publicly.

I just want to add my witness. Based off personal Revelation I testify that the war in heaven was an actual war. Swords at the least were used though I don't completely understand what happens to a being who is "killed." Death in stages as older/wiser puts it could certainly be the case. Perhaps the evil beings who were killed were then banished to a lower plane of existence.

Why else do angels carry swords if not to use them? Michael and his angels fought the dragon and his angels. This was not a debate or a shouting match but a war spawned from conflicting agendas as all wars are spawned.

The war will end after a final battle.
D&C 88 112 And Michael, the seventh angel, even the archangel, shall gather together his armies, even the hosts of heaven.
113 And the devil shall gather together his armies; even the hosts of hell, and shall come up to battle against Michael and his armies.
114 And then cometh the battle of the great God; and the devil and his armies shall be cast away into their own place, that they shall not have power over the saints any more at all.