White House Bars CNN, NYT, Others From Media Briefing

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

Should the White House Not Allow Certain News Organizations into Meetings for the Press?

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 23
Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

White House Bars CNN, NYT, Others From Media Briefing

Post by Silver »

The White House angered certain elements of the media today by not allowing some news organizations into a meeting for the press. Read about it at the link below.

Do you agree with this action? Why or why not, if you care to share?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-02-2 ... a-briefing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Different
captain of 100

Re: White House Bars CNN, NYT, Others From Media Briefing

Post by Different »

I agree, screw them they have been dishonest for years.

Zerohedge, Drudge, wnd, breitbart, and other alternative news sources are among the few that are more honest than others.

Different
captain of 100

Post by Different »

Saw this online, I havent confirmed 100% of its authenticity but more than likely its true.
Attachments
C5dfQGtU8AAQrM9.jpg
C5dfQGtU8AAQrM9.jpg (68.09 KiB) Viewed 2244 times

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

It is unwise to make an enemy of people who buy ink by the barrel.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Excellent.

Good move. Maybe let them back in if they clean up their act. Those who imbibed from the NYT, CNN and WP have already placed themselves in an enemy camp by their dishonesty.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

BRAVO !

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

This is from a couple of years ago but it helps put things into perspective as to who was/is in charge of the media...If you had a hunch the news system was RIGGED and you couldn't put your finger on it.... :-o

ABC News executive producer…. Ian Cameron is married to Susan Rice, National Security Adviser.
CBS President …David Rhodes is the brother of Ben Rhodes, Obama’s Deputy National Security Adviser for Strategic Communications.
ABC News correspondent …Claire Shipman is married to former Whitehouse Press Secretary Jay Carney
ABC News and Univision reporter… Matthew Jaffe is married to Katie Hogan, Obama’s Deputy Press Secretary
ABC President …Ben Sherwood is the brother of Obama’s Special Adviser Elizabeth Sherwood
CNN President …Virginia Moseley is married to former Hillary Clinton’s Deputy Secretary Tom Nides.

And now you know why it was no surprise that the media was in Obama’s pocket. :ymdevil:

vertigo
captain of 10

Post by vertigo »

I normally would have voted "no" because it's the kind of action you see from a regime like in Russia, but after seeing the posts from Different and kittycat51 I can see how we can't play by their rules anymore. We need to try to extinguish the influence of the secret combinations, wherever they might be.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Did the National Enquirer get in on the briefing?

They did endorsed Trump and Trump thinks highly of them

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Friends,
If the shoe were on the other foot would you still be so adamantly in favor of a White House barring reporters from briefings?

If Obama did the same thing, wouldn't you think poorly of it?

Trump won't be president forever and the old pendulum can swing both ways.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Maybe I'm not getting the whole or enough of the picture. But if I were POTUS and I could prove that a news agency misrepresented anything I did or said I would bar their reporters from press conferences, etc.

Different
captain of 100

Post by Different »

The thing is for now it is not on the other foot. Obama, supposedly not sure if it's true barred Fox News at times from his press conferences, again supposedly. And if it were on the other foot it would be done for the wrong reasons. Trump has been more than nice compared to what they have done to him. All in all, he is just trying to fight back against those who openly sell lies to the public. I'm in no way defending either side, but trying viewing this pragmatically.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Believe me, I'm no fan of 99% of the media. They are lying, obfuscating, and deceiving the public (well, an apathetic public).

However, Doctrine & Covenants Section 121 still applies. Gentle persuasion only lasts for half a sound byte before Trump lashes out at his opponents. He used very harsh language in the primaries as he defeated his opponents. I'm worried that too many people mistook his nasty mouth for courage.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

It is rather hypocritical for Trump, a man created by the media, to now turn on those who propelled him to the office of President.

This is also a dangerous path for him to follow. Nothing says that the media must provide him with coverage, the networks and press are under no obligation to carry his news conference and so on. They could, and some day might well decide to turn off the flow of coverage, the mother's milk, to someone like Trump. Sure he would still have the alt right media but that is a bit like preaching to the choir. What would he do if they were to stop showing up for press briefings, stop running stories, treat him as if he were invisible? The fact of the matter is that Trump need the media just as much as they need him, perhaps even more so.

There is only one thing worse for Trump than bad press and that is no press at all.

Different
captain of 100

Post by Different »

Silver wrote:Believe me, I'm no fan of 99% of the media. They are lying, obfuscating, and deceiving the public (well, an apathetic public).

However, Doctrine & Covenants Section 121 still applies. Gentle persuasion only lasts for half a sound byte before Trump lashes out at his opponents. He used very harsh language in the primaries as he defeated his opponents. I'm worried that too many people mistook his nasty mouth for courage.
What foul language instances are you referring to btw.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Different wrote:
Silver wrote:Believe me, I'm no fan of 99% of the media. They are lying, obfuscating, and deceiving the public (well, an apathetic public).

What foul language instances are you referring to btw.
Lyin' Ted
Crooked Hillary
Hand size
Miss Piggy
The Romney Saga
And saving the best for last...“Why do I have to repent, why do I have to ask for forgiveness if [I’m] not making mistakes?”

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

FLASHBACK: Obama Shuts Out White House Press Again http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/2 ... mg00000004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … via @HuffPostMedia @seanspicer #press #MAGA @potus @ffweekend

'Member when Hillary's campaign banned the pool reporter from reporting on an event or even using the bathroom? http://thefederalist.com/2015/06/15/hil ... reporters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

But it wasn’t enough for the campaign to deny access to the reporter to cover the campaign event. No, they had to up the ante. So they refused to even allow the reporter to use a bathroom on site.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/06/15/hil ... reporters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Silver wrote:Friends,
If the shoe were on the other foot would you still be so adamantly in favor of a White House barring reporters from briefings?

Dlight
captain of 100

Post by Dlight »

Why should he let them in? They misconstrue the fact, lie by omission, and constantly spout a false narrative by selectively focusing on the things that coincide with their agenda. The press has all but declared open war on Donald Trump and are seemingly doing everything in their power to bring down his administration regardless of the truth.

Someone asked if the National Enquirer was there, and what would be the difference at this point?

When Steve Bannon calls the media the opposition party, he is right on. Not all media should be banned, some news organizations are more fair than others, but CNN is basically a Anti-Trump site these days and I visit their website only so I can mock there reporting and bias.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Elizabeth wrote:FLASHBACK: Obama Shuts Out White House Press Again http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/2 ... mg00000004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … via @HuffPostMedia @seanspicer #press #MAGA @potus @ffweekend

'Member when Hillary's campaign banned the pool reporter from reporting on an event or even using the bathroom? http://thefederalist.com/2015/06/15/hil ... reporters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

But it wasn’t enough for the campaign to deny access to the reporter to cover the campaign event. No, they had to up the ante. So they refused to even allow the reporter to use a bathroom on site.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/06/15/hil ... reporters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Silver wrote:Friends,

So if mean ol' bad ol' Hillary does it, it's ok for Trump to do it. Such a childish attitude.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Dlight wrote:Why should he let them in? They misconstrue the fact, lie by omission, and constantly spout a false narrative by selectively focusing on the things that coincide with their agenda. The press has all but declared open war on Donald Trump and are seemingly doing everything in their power to bring down his administration regardless of the truth.

Someone asked if the National Enquirer was there, and what would be the difference at this point?

When Steve Bannon calls the media the opposition party, he is right on. Not all media should be banned, some news organizations are more fair than others, but CNN is basically a Anti-Trump site these days and I visit their website only so I can mock there reporting and bias.
Mocking. Now that's a winning plan. I bet you convert a lot of liberals that way.
Last edited by Silver on February 26th, 2017, 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Silver wrote: . . . The Romney Saga
And saving the best for last...“Why do I have to repent, why do I have to ask for forgiveness if [I’m] not making mistakes?”
The Romney saga?? Romney is the one that mounted the personal, highly publicized attack on Trump. Trump just noted that Romney missed his chance and lost. Calling Romney a loser is simply acknowledging that reality.

Trump has actually said that when he does wrong, he tries to make it right as soon as possible. And if your quote is correct (got a citation?), Trump is correct in recognizing that if he's not making mistakes, there would be nothing to repent of. But he DID say what I've indicated in the first sentence of this paragraph. I've posted on the exact wording in earlier posts, but would have to mount a search to locate them.

He also said that he attends church and takes communion, and it makes him feel pure.

Here is what Trump actually said and the link from where this was taken: http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-on ... 05#p707005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trump: "I have great relationship with God". . . . . . "I like to be good. I don't like to have to ask for forgiveness. And I am good. I don't do a lot of things that are bad. I try to do nothing that is bad."

Late last year, Trump told Republican pollster and focus-group guru Frank Luntz that when the real-estate mogul has done something wrong, he tries to correct his error without getting God involved.

"I am not sure I have," Trump said when asked if he'd ever asked God for forgiveness. "I just go on and try to do a better job from there. I don't think so," he said. "I think if I do something wrong, I think, I just try and make it right. I don't bring God into that picture. I don't."

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

The media created Donald Trump and the media will likely destroy him as well.

The problem is the alternate media doesn't have the reach of the established media, it's called alternative for a reason folks. The biggest problem is the alternative media lacks a critical tool, a viable news service able to insert news into your local media where most of the population gets it news from. News services (AP, Reuters, AFP, Bloomberg, UPI) are very, very expensive organizations to set up and run. In the case of AP it is a cooperative owned by the news outlets which created it over 150 years ago. Reuters news operations are a tiny part of a fast financial reporting system the same with Bloomberg. AFP is a government owned news agency (France). It take an army of people, reporters, photographers, graphic artists, editors and communications people to run these organization. More than a few have gone under, and UPI hardly holds its head above water even now.

Without a major news service and/or a first class national newspaper like the New York Times, Washington Post of the Times of London all of which also feed the smaller media outlets the alternative media is going to be forever trapped singing to the choir. They are rather like an echo chamber telling their readers and listeners what they want to hear but unable to get their message into the thousands of media outlets that an organization AP does.

Trump knows this fact all to well and it is interesting to see that he did not ban AP, Reuters or the other news agencies. Should the news agencies turn against him he's toast. Because the news agencies control the flow of news. It is from them that CNN and the like get the raw materials that they use to produce their products. A shift in how news agencies cover Trump will be very hard to detect and to counter. Reuters and Bloomberg for example need only to start feeding a more negative line of financial reports downstream. In there case it is these financial reports and the trading software that Reuter and Bloomberg also supply to the financial firms they service that traders use to make financial decisions that drive the world's markets. Most people never read or hear the raw news service copy and so would be unaware of how shifts in the news delivered by these organizations will end up colouring every thing from the New York Times down to your local newspaper or TV station.

See the problem here, flailing away at the CNN's of the world does you no good at all. The question is where is CNN, or your local paper getting its information from. CNN is the tail end of a very long, complex and poorly understood ecosystem of news and information that flows 24/7 around the world from a handful of little known companies, the world's news agencies.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

gkearney wrote: February 25th, 2017, 4:13 pm The media created Donald Trump and the media will likely destroy him as well.

The problem is the alternate media doesn't have the reach of the established media, it's called alternative for a reason folks. The biggest problem is the alternative media lacks a critical tool, a viable news service able to insert news into your local media where most of the population gets it news from. News services (AP, Reuters, AFP, Bloomberg, UPI) are very, very expensive organizations to set up and run. In the case of AP it is a cooperative owned by the news outlets which created it over 150 years ago. Reuters news operations are a tiny part of a fast financial reporting system the same with Bloomberg. AFP is a government owned news agency (France). It take an army of people, reporters, photographers, graphic artists, editors and communications people to run these organization. More than a few have gone under, and UPI hardly holds its head above water even now.

Without a major news service and/or a first class national newspaper like the New York Times, Washington Post of the Times of London all of which also feed the smaller media outlets the alternative media is going to be forever trapped singing to the choir. They are rather like an echo chamber telling their readers and listeners what they want to hear but unable to get their message into the thousands of media outlets that an organization AP does.

Trump knows this fact all to well and it is interesting to see that he did not ban AP, Reuters or the other news agencies. Should the news agencies turn against him he's toast. Because the news agencies control the flow of news. It is from them that CNN and the like get the raw materials that they use to produce their products. A shift in how news agencies cover Trump will be very hard to detect and to counter. Reuters and Bloomberg for example need only to start feeding a more negative line of financial reports downstream. In there case it is these financial reports and the trading software that Reuter and Bloomberg also supply to the financial firms they service that traders use to make financial decisions that drive the world's markets. Most people never read or hear the raw news service copy and so would be unaware of how shifts in the news delivered by these organizations will end up colouring every thing from the New York Times down to your local newspaper or TV station.

See the problem here, flailing away at the CNN's of the world does you no good at all. The question is where is CNN, or your local paper getting its information from. CNN is the tail end of a very long, complex and poorly understood ecosystem of news and information that flows 24/7 around the world from a handful of little known companies, the world's news agencies.
I would say Donald Trump created himself. He developed a persona that the median couldn’t ignore. Too colorful of a character.

And if ever there was an echo chamber, especially in dealing with Trump, it has been the incessant anti-Trump outpouring of the MSM, to include AP, Reuters, NYT News Service, New York Times, CNN, MSNBC and the Washington Post. They were against him from the get-go, since he first threw his hat in the ring. And you could throw the Wall Street Journal into the mix to a lesser degree. Bloomberg? I don't know, but I would guess, more of the same.

So, for me, it is a rather odd position to take to say that if these entities turn against him, including the news services, he is toast. Trump won the Presidency DESPITE these outlets who were already against him.

Trump has gone against CNN because they are heads and shoulder worse than the rest of them. And I don’t see that they are being fed by AP, etc. Much of their egregious behavior consists of lying, ignoring pertinent news, or negative editorializing instead of news reporting.

More and more people are understanding that News services are multi-step filtration systems consisting of several choke points between an article writer and the final editor that lets its product into their news papers.

Trump won the Presidency precisely because people are moving away from the MSM, in my strongly held view.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

I would have thanked for the above post but the thank option is not available. Anyone else missing the thank option?