Gospel one uppers...

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Re: Gospel one uppers...

Post by Captain Moroni »

John Adams. well said. BTW have you read the recent excellent biography of John Adams?

John Adams
captain of 1,000

Post by John Adams »

Captain Moroni wrote:John Adams. well said. BTW have you read the recent excellent biography of John Adams?
My dad gave it to my for my birthday, but then immediately borrowed it; so I haven't had a chance to read it yet (I've read many other biographies about him, but I still would like to read this one as well.)

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Captain Moroni wrote:ChelC, great quote. Yes, oil is spirituality which groes drop by drop over many years. That is exactly why we are told to endure to the END. But would you agree that oil cannot be bought in the marketplace nor can it be gotten in just one day?
I've been wandering around for the last few years looking for an Iron Rod to hold to. Heck, I've even checked out my bishps house and all I could find was a wooden rod. Oh well, that silly Lehi.

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

Shadow, I certainly appreciate the sound ideas you bring to the dialogue. (NOT) Mocking is NOT a characteristic of a real converted saint but one who resides in the Great House seen in Lehi's dream.

ShawnC
Minion

Post by ShawnC »

Captain Moroni wrote:Shadow, I certainly appreciate the sound ideas you bring to the dialogue. (NOT) Mocking is NOT a characteristic of a real converted saint but one who resides in the Great House seen in Lehi's dream.

Shadow,

I appreciate your humor and even sarcasm quite a bit. I must say though that Doug makes a good point here about the GaS building and those who mocked. The sarcasm could be toned down a little?

Shawn

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Captain Moroni wrote:Shadow, I certainly appreciate the sound ideas you bring to the dialogue. (NOT) Hey, you just mocked me you silly hypocrite :? Mocking is NOT a characteristic of a real converted saint but one who resides in the Great House seen in Lehi's dream.
It's just my way of saying scriptures aren't always so literal, it wasn't mocking. ChelC posted a talk from a GA that said what the oil is. Then you countered the current living gospel with a version found in the bible that very well could be translated incorrectly that suggests you can buy oil at the markets. I believe the oil is more than going to the literal markets while they are open and literally buying food storage. In fact, I don't believe the oil represents food storage at all. The only thing that relates is being obedient to that particular command, wihich is one of many, many commands. I might suggest that the markets are all around us all the time. They are the choices we make. I start my day by going to the market of daily options. What goods do I buy (and sell) that day makes me the person I am (Christlike or not). Do I help a neighbor? Do I pray? Do I serve? Am I a good Dad, Husband, and Son? Did I keep the Word of Wisdom etc. etc. When Christ comes, times up. The whistle blows. No more time to run to the market and make good choices. No more time to buy up a reserve of oil. -My opinion of course. I hope that didn't come off as matter of fact like other posters on this site.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

ShawnC wrote: Shadow,

I appreciate your humor and even sarcasm quite a bit. I must say though that Doug makes a good point here about the GaS building and those who mocked. The sarcasm could be toned down a little?

Shawn
You're probably right. Sorry for any offense.

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

Shadow, firest I am so glad to see you post something of substance without mockery. It seems you have misquoted me. The oil is NOT your food storage: spirituality is the oil. Are you closing reading what I actually say or just popping off?

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Capt., without re-reading your posts of the day, did you not suggest that the 5 foolish virgins were the ones without food storage?

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Captain Moroni, I'm totally confused about what you are trying to say, please itemize your points or something, because clearly we're not communicating here.

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

Shadow, yes I said that the unwise virgens didn't have their food supply. But food supply is NOT the oil. Spirtuality is the oil which cannot be bought at any market. Food supply, however, can be bought at any market.

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

ChelC, I;m assuming that you have gone back and read all my posts on the Ten Virgins? Where do you feel that there is confusion?

Stumpjumper
captain of 100

Post by Stumpjumper »

shadow wrote:
Captain Moroni wrote:ChelC, great quote. Yes, oil is spirituality which groes drop by drop over many years. That is exactly why we are told to endure to the END. But would you agree that oil cannot be bought in the marketplace nor can it be gotten in just one day?
I've been wandering around for the last few years looking for an Iron Rod to hold to. Heck, I've even checked out my bishps house and all I could find was a wooden rod. Oh well, that silly Lehi.
LOL I heard they had Iron ones in the Clerks closet for those that are not paying the 10%
The wooden ones are old school :lol: :lol: :lol:

drjme
captain of 1,000

Post by drjme »

Captain Moroni wrote:Yes, parables have multiple levels of depth and and each depth brings a differnt meaning. What then is your understanding of the parable of Ten Virgins and its many symbols. Sure criticize me but then it is your obligation to show other better alternatives. IF you do that, I would deeply appreciate being enlightened.
Did I criticize your interpretation of the parable? No. Am I saying your intepretation is wrong? no. I merely stated that there are multiple meanings for parables. For you to say that 'my meaning is right and yours is wrong' is where you err. Your condescending attitude to those who don't agree with you is where you err. I'm not going to go and tell you I have a better interpretation of what it means, and that yours is wrong, because it is irrelavant and the point of the parable, you get what you need out of it.
You read into it and interpret what is relevant to you. for some, making sure you have enough oil on a dark night will be wise counsel, for others it will relate to spiritual preparedness and a lesson in obedience, and for you it relates to food storage. Again I'm not mocking the you it's just with judgements like:
'Mocking is NOT a characteristic of a real converted saint but one who resides in the Great House seen in Lehi's dream.' and 'I love to be challenged as an academic of 30 years experience' and 'So go ahead and continue living with a "all is well in Zion" outlook at your own detriment.',that somehow gives you the right to declare what interpretation of scripture is right or wrong, especially a parable, which are specifically open to interpretation, used to appeal to the specific level of understanding of the listener/reader, is prideful and arrogant.
We know food storage is important, not disagreeing there, but I don't need that parable to tell me that, It's already clear from the words of the prophets that it is important. I wonder if anyone at the time the parable was first spoken was thinking 'Yep, He is definately talking about food storage.', maybe and maybe not. Christ spoke the parable yet he himself did not travel with storage, He travelled with nothing, everything was provided to him and his disciples by faith, through others providing on their journeys, or by miracles. If you are saying that this relates to ONLY food storage, then He is not living what He taught.
yes I said that the unwise virgens didn't have their food supply. But food supply is NOT the oil. Spirtuality is the oil which cannot be bought at any market. Food supply, however, can be bought at any market.
So what is the symbol of food supply then, if not the oil? as that is what differentiates the wise and foolish.

Captain Moroni
captain of 1,000

Post by Captain Moroni »

Drjme, I have NOT required anyone to believe as I do??? Yes, I have plainly and boldly stated what my interpretation is (Please don't associate boldness with arrogance because we are commanded to be BOLD in our testimonies). I asked you and others in turn to provide an interpretation within the context of all scripture if you have real problems with my interpretation in context of the Gospel. Not all spiritual opinions are of the same value... informed opinions count much more to me.

If this is being prideful and arrogant, I plead guilty.

I do appreciate, however, your effort to provide some alternative conclusions especially the one about Jesus, although I think that example is not relevant to the dialogue. The Bridegroom is Christ and we are the virgins. Also, this related to the first coming, not the second coming.

Will you be joining us on the new thread where a full description with support of my interpretation will be dialogued?