Letter to a First-Time Voter

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Letter to a First-Time Voter

Post by lundbaek »

Last evening an 80+ year old relatively new US citizen from Denmark who will soon vote for the first time told me how confused and upset she is with the choices of candidates for President of the United States and the current increasing chaos in America, and wondering what can be done to get our government back on constitutional principles. Afterwards, I tried to think what we could do to reverse the course that America is on and "form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common Welfare, and secure the blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity". So this is what I wrote her afterwards in an email:

"It occurred to me that in 1987 the Prophet, President Benson, told us what we needed to do. This is from his October 1987 General Conference talk. There are 5 things the Prophet told us we must do. And the word "must" makes those things commandments to me.

"Only in this foreordained land, under its God-inspired Constitution and the resulting environment of freedom, was it possible to have established the restored church. It is our responsibility to see that this freedom is perpetuated so that the Church may more easily flourish in the future.
The Lord said, “Therefore, I, the Lord, justify you, and your brethren of my church, in befriending that law which is the constitutional law of the land” (D&C 98:6).
How then can we best befriend the Constitution in this critical hour and secure the blessings of liberty and ensure the protection and guidance of our Father in Heaven?

"First and foremost, we must be righteous.
John Adams said, “Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.” (The Works of John Adams, ed. C. F. Adams, Boston: Little, Brown Co., 1851, 4:31). If the Constitution is to have continuance, this American nation, and especially the Latter-day Saints, must be virtuous.
The Book of Mormon warns us relative to our living in this free land: “Wherefore, this land is consecrated unto him whom he shall bring. And if it so be that they shall serve him according to the commandments which he hath given, it shall be a land of liberty unto them; wherefore, they shall never be brought down into captivity; if so, it shall be because of iniquity; for if iniquity shall abound cursed shall be the land for their sakes, but unto the righteous it shall be blessed forever” (2 Ne. 1:7).
“And now,” warned Moroni, “we can behold the decrees of God concerning this land, that it is a land of promise; and whatsoever nation shall possess it shall serve God, or they shall be swept off when the fullness of his wrath shall come upon them. And the fulness of his wrath cometh upon them when they are ripened in iniquity” (Ether 2:9).
Two great American Christian civilizations—the Jaredites and the Nephites—were swept off this land because they did not “serve the God of the land, who is Jesus Christ” (Ether 2:12). What will become of our civilization?

"Second, we must learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers.
Have we read The Federalist papers? Are we reading the Constitution and pondering it? Are we aware of its principles? Are we abiding by these principles and teaching them to others? Could we defend the Constitution? Can we recognize when a law is constitutionally unsound? Do we know what the prophets have said about the Constitution and the threats to it?
As Jefferson said, “If a nation expects to be ignorant and free … it expects what never was and never will be” (Letter to Colonel Charles Yancey, 6 Jan. 1816).

"Third, we must become involved in civic affairs to see that we are properly represented.
The Lord said that “he holds men accountable for their acts in relation” to governments “both in making laws and administering them” (D&C 134:1). We must follow this counsel from the Lord: “Honest men and wise men should be sought for diligently, and good men and wise men ye should observe to uphold; otherwise whatsoever is less than these cometh of evil” (D&C 98:10).
Note the qualities that the Lord demands of those who are to represent us. They must be good, wise, and honest.

"Fourth, we must make our influence felt by our vote, our letters, our teaching, and our advice.
We must become accurately informed and then let others know how we feel. The Prophet Joseph Smith said: “It is our duty to concentrate all our influence to make popular that which is sound and good, and unpopular that which is unsound. ‘Tis right, politically, for a man who has influence to use it. … From henceforth I will maintain all the influence I can get” (History of the Church, 5:286).
I have faith that the Constitution will be saved as prophesied by Joseph Smith. It will be saved by the righteous citizens of this nation who love and cherish freedom. It will be saved by enlightened members of this Church—among others—men and women who understand and abide the principles of the Constitution.
"I reverence the Constitution of the United States as a sacred document. To me its words are akin to the revelations of God, for God has placed His stamp of approval upon it.
I testify that the God of heaven sent some of His choicest spirits to lay the foundation of this government, and He has now sent other choice spirits to help preserve it.
We, the blessed beneficiaries of the Constitution, face difficult days in America, “a land which is choice above all other lands” (Ether 2:10).
May God give us the faith and the courage exhibited by those patriots who pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.
May we be equally as valiant and as free, I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, amen."

"Note also that in this address President Benson said of this subject "that affects the worldwide Church. “belongs to all mankind” and "should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh," I have had many LDS people tell me in various words that the US Constitution is no longer a subject about which LDS Church members should be concerned. Have you heard or read any statement that can be attributed to any Prophet that could be taken to repeal, rescind, revoke, or rewhatever any statement by a previous prophet regarding the US Constitution ? If so, please let me know. I can elaborate further on this subject, but it would make this email too long.

"President Benson expressed his faith that "the Constitution will be saved as prophesied by Joseph Smith. It will be saved by the righteous citizens of this nation who love and cherish freedom. It will be saved by enlightened members of this Church—among others—men and women who understand and abide the principles of the Constitution." I hope each of us will be prepared to help in that undertaking."

GeeR
captain of 1,000

Re: Letter to a First-Time Voter

Post by GeeR »

Today I found a newspaper clipping that I have keep in a book for many years and I’d like to share it and its background story.

My father has always been a constitutionalist but when he heard back in the 70’s about Cleon Skousen and how he was encouraged by Pres. David O McKay to help educate the saints and loyal citizens of America on the Constitution because if its threats, he talked me into joining him in attending the Freeman Institutes classes on the Constitution in Salt Lake City.

Glad I did it was an eye-opening experience being taught by one so knowledgeable on the Constitution. My dad scheduled with Bro. Skousen to come to our humble community here in Green River, Wyoming and teach his Constitutional seminars on a weekly basis until he covered, I think, 7 lessons. My dad was excited by the prospect of being instrumental in helping educate the citizens in our community so that they could become involved in city government and rightly direct its course by understanding the proper role of government. For the first seminar my dad scheduled a local minister to say the opening prayer and a prominent citizen to lead in the Pledge of allegiance and someone to introduce Cleon Skousen citing his credentials.

I had an Uncle on my mothers side that lived in the same town that always seemed to be in competition with my dad. He thought he was better and more righteous than my dad because of the many church positions he has occupied, he even went on a mission to England and left a wife and children here in the states until he served out his mission. My dad on the other hand came from a broken home and the highest church position he occupied was that of a Sunday School teacher. So whenever my dad was on the verge of bettering himself whether in business or in church, my uncle always seemed to enter the scene to sabotage his efforts. I guess he was jealous and felt threatened that my dad might out-shine him some day, he wasn’t about to let that happen.

My uncle got wind of what my dad was organizing with Bro. Skousen and my uncle was a member of the stake presidency at the time and a week before the seminar was to begin the following was in the local newspaper, instigated by my uncle Woodrow:

The Green River Star, May 21,1975

CLARIFICATION—It has come to our attention that some citizens in this area are of the opinion that various political groups are being sponsored and endorsed by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon). It is true that the Church does encourage its members to participate in Community and National affairs, and to take a stand on political issues, but the Church does not support any particular political group, their tactics, or philosophies. Our members are free to think act, or vote as they deem appropriate. However they are not speaking for, or acting in behalf, of the Church, its leaders, its colleges or other institutions.
Green River Wyoming Stake Presidency
Ronald Walker, Pres.
Albert G, Neff
E. Woodrow Hunter

Shortly after that so-called clarification came out , the people who committed to my dad to attend and participate in Bro. Skousen seminar were scared off and started calling my dad up to cancel out. It was especially embarrassing for my dad to call Bro. Skousen in Salt Lake and cancel his plans. Thanks Uncle Woodrow (now deceased), because of your interference our city council and county commissioners after all these years still don’t understand the proper role of government. All our elected officials promote and vote for their own pet projects, are all applying for federal grants and our tax dollars still continue going down the toilet. Yea, thanks again Uncle Woodrow, I’m sure your officiousness will be greatly rewarded on the other side!

Ezra
captain of 1,000

Post by Ezra »

I had a simalar thing happen in my ward. Except the speaker got to give his talk. Which then upset members of the ward complained to the stake president who without hearing the talk had denounced it as being not inline with the church.

The talk was full of quotes from prophets and scriptures and hardly had any of his own opinions.

The stake presidents denouncing of that talk turned many members away from that proper role of government and the constitutional knowledge and even though the speaker later spoke with the stake president and shared the talk and got an apology from the stake president. The stake president never made an apology to the ward and righted the denouncement.

I know he will be judged because of that too.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Late August last year I and a constitutionalist high school history teacher sent the following email to our stake presidency with cc to our bishop.

On September 17th we again have opportunity to celebrate the signing of the Constitution of the United States of America in honour of that event 228 years ago which was a major step toward the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

This event should be of special importance to Latter-day Saints, who's doctrine includes the knowledge that "...I [the Lord] established the Constitution of this land by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose." In addition to that knowledge, Latter-day Saints have been given some very specific instructions regarding the Constitution of the United States. Included in these instructions are the following statements:

"We, as Latter-day Saints, must be vigilant in doing our part to preserve the Constitution and safeguard the way of life it makes possible." (15 January 1987, First Presidency Statement)

"We must learn the principles of the Constitution and then abide by its precepts." (September 1987, The Ensign)

"We must learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers." (President Ezra Taft Benson, October 1987, General Conference)

In an address to the World Affairs Council in August of 1999, President Gordon B. Hinkley stated that "...both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States were brought forth under the inspiration of God to establish and maintain the freedom of the people of this nation. I said it, and I believe it to be true. There is a miracle in its establishment that cannot be explained in any other way.”

And during an 11 May 2014 interview on KSL NewsRadio in Salt Lake City, Elder Dallin H. Oaks said, "I see it as a responsibility for well-educated citizens, members of the bar and opinion leaders to be acquainted with the United States Constitution and its guarantees."

These admonitions were not new. There exists an avalanche of statements by latter-day prophets and apostles admonishing people to learn, uphold and abide by the principles of the U.S. Constitution.

May I suggest a specific talk or two in Sacrament Meetings, in joint Priesthood/RS meetings or a fireside, etc. on the U.S. Constitution? This would be a good way to remind members of this great historical event that had the blessing of the Lord and was a precursor to the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ in this land, and also as a reminder of our responsibility to be acquainted with the Constitution and its guarantees.

No reply. Maybe we'll try sending it again this coming August.