Hey, Robin Hood, this will get your blood boiling.

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Hey, Robin Hood, this will get your blood boiling.

Post by Silver »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-04-2 ... eu-or-else" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More at the link, but here's a bit of the fun:
You know the British establishment is in full panic mode when not only do they allow President Obama to visit the nation just a month after throwing Cameron "distracted by other things" and his European neighbors under the bus over the collapse of Libya, but, despite 100 members of Parliament signing a letter telling Obama "not to interfere" with Britain's domestic affairs, The Telegraph prints an Op-Ed in which the lame-duck president lords it over the British citizenry with a veiled threat that should they "his friends" leave Europe, the "special relationship" could be in jeopardy as "now is a time for friends and allies to stick together."

Just a month ago, Time.com noted that almost 70 years to the day since Winston Churchill immortalized the term in his historic ‘Sinews of Peace’ address, the “special relationship” between the U.K. and U.S. is looking strained once again.

President Barack Obama threw the diplomatic equivalent of shade at British Prime Minister David Cameron in an interview in The Atlantic published this week. In his conversation with Jeffrey Goldberg, Obama laid the blame for the collapse of Libya in the aftermath of dictator Muammar Gaddafi’s downfall primarily at Europe’s door, saying he had expected his allies to do more to stabilize the situation. Cameron, he said, was “distracted by a range of other things.”

The White House hastily put out a statement pronouncing the U.S-U.K. relationship just as special as it had ever been, but the damage was done. The British chattering classes wailed and gnashed their teeth, as they are wont to do whenever the transatlantic bond is called into question.
So now, a month later, on his way back from The Middle-East, President Obama's apology tour stopped off in Britain today (accompanied by the Op-Ed below) despite more than 100 members of Parliament signing a letter telling Obama “not to interfere” with Britain’s domestic affairs...

The letter states: “With so much at stake, it is imperative that the question of exiting the European Union is not one answered by foreign politicians or outside interests, but rather by the British people who must ultimately live with change or the status quo.

The British politicians declare: “issues of national sovereignty must be decided exclusively by the people of the United Kingdom”.

They state: “even a passive diplomatic recommendation in the matter of our national decision will receive the opposite of the intended effect.”

“The referendum vote is an act of democracy in its most direct form, and the question of whether or not to leave the EU is a rare political topic that is not owned by any one political party. This is a chance for the British people to choose the path of their country. Interfering in our debate over national sovereignty would be an unfortunate milestone at the end of your term as President.”

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Hey, Robin Hood, this will get your blood boiling.

Post by Robin Hood »

The problem as I see it is that in recommending Britain stays in the EU, Obama is suggesting we should give up sovereignty to the extent the US would never ever consider, for even a nanosecond. This smacks of hypocrisy, but is entirely understandable given he is a globalist who ultimately wants to see the end of nation states.
He needs to stay out of it in my view..... but he won't.

As for the "special relationship"; I think it certainly does exist but at a people to people level. Our common tongue, our common attitude to the principles of freedom, our common cultures etc form a far stronger bond than our respective governments getting along with each other.
Whenever I have been to the US I have never felt I was in a foreign place. Same with my recent trip to Canada.
The same cannot be said with regard to continental Europe.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Right. Obama is way out of line.

The Magna Carta is part of that mutual heritage of which you speak. Too bad we had to have that little spat back in the late 1700's when we really think so much alike. Now the burning of Washington, DC, on the other hand...well, that was rather nasty, brother.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Hahaha. This is rich!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... crite.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BLOODY MAD 04.22.16 7:05 AM ET
London Mayor Boris Johnson Slams Obama as ‘Part-Kenyan’ Hypocrite

In a bitter denunciation of the president, the Conservative politician has revived claims that Obama's African heritage makes him anti-British.

LONDON — President Obama is back in Europe today but there are no crowds awaiting his arrival. Indeed the greeting from some of his hosts is nakedly hostile.

Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, welcomed him to the city with a fiery broadside describing Obama as “incoherent,” “inconsistent” and “downright hypocritical.”

In a phrase that evoked racist jibes in the United States, Johnson described him as “the part-Kenyan president.”

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Silver wrote:Hahaha. This is rich!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... crite.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BLOODY MAD 04.22.16 7:05 AM ET
London Mayor Boris Johnson Slams Obama as ‘Part-Kenyan’ Hypocrite

In a bitter denunciation of the president, the Conservative politician has revived claims that Obama's African heritage makes him anti-British.

LONDON — President Obama is back in Europe today but there are no crowds awaiting his arrival. Indeed the greeting from some of his hosts is nakedly hostile.

Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, welcomed him to the city with a fiery broadside describing Obama as “incoherent,” “inconsistent” and “downright hypocritical.”

In a phrase that evoked racist jibes in the United States, Johnson described him as “the part-Kenyan president.”
Well, he ain't wrong.... #-o

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I would expect Obama to try to tell Cameron to to try to keep the UK in the European Union. Obama & Co. are trying to get the U.S.A. into the planned North American Union for the same reaon. All in the cause of globalism.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Silver wrote:London Mayor Boris Johnson Slams Obama as ‘Part-Kenyan’ Hypocrite

....Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, welcomed him to the city with a fiery broadside describing Obama as “incoherent,” “inconsistent” and “downright hypocritical.”

If Mayor Johnson wants to come for a visit, I'll certainly be glad to buy him a steak dinner.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Scotland's referendum last year voted to stay in the UK but it's looking like the UK might vote to leave the EU. Honestly, I think this would be a good thing for the Britain. The EU is a disaster with Spain and Greece basically bankrupt. Sweden and Germany are going to have even more issues

In Feburary, it was a 4 point lead to leave: http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britai ... KKCN0V90UQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What are the current sentiments in Britain now that Obama has stuck his nose in?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Sunain wrote:Scotland's referendum last year voted to stay in the UK but it's looking like the UK might vote to leave the EU. Honestly, I think this would be a good thing for the Britain. The EU is a disaster with Spain and Greece basically bankrupt. Sweden and Germany are going to have even more issues

In Feburary, it was a 4 point lead to leave: http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britai ... KKCN0V90UQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What are the current sentiments in Britain now that Obama has stuck his nose in?
Of all my family, friends, and acquaintances, I only know one person who is definitely voting to remain in the EU.
The leave campaign seems to be quite solid at present.
But there are a lot of undecideds though, so it could swing either way.

The UK government are using scare tactics all the time, but are only focusing on economics.
For many people the issue is a lot broader than money. It's about independence, freedom, and the ability to make our own laws.
When we went into the "common market" as it was called back in 1973, we were told it was simply a trading arrangement. We were lied to and that is provable. So now, the government have a credibility issue, and the Europeans are not trusted at all.
When we learn that the original movers and shakers in the EU project were Nazi's, some of whom were even convicted at Nuremburg, it puts the whole thing into perspective. I'm quite sure Adolf would be very pleased.

If we vote to remain I'm moving to Canada.