FEEL FREE TO INSULT ME!

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Re: FEEL FREE TO INSULT ME!

Post by freedomforall »

Meili wrote: February 15th, 2016, 9:01 pm I'll insult you as soon as I can think of something to say, Joel.

[crickets]
Speaking of crickets, does anyone remember Quiet Cricket or know what became of him/her?

QC's avatar:

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

White Cheerleaders Investigated After Screaming: ‘F-*k N-**ers’ Over And Over

A group of white teenage girls–cheerleaders–at a high school in Utah are being investigated for a video in which they appear to take turns screaming the phrase “F-*k N-**ers” directly into the camera.

In the video, most of the girls repeat the phrase at least twice. Some of them scream it out in unison. Their faces are expressive and they seem to be expressing joy at the constant repetition of the long-verboten racial slur and put-down. Altogether, the phrase is repeated six times in the 10-second clip.

The racially-charged video began making its way across social media earlier this week after it was uploaded to Facebook and Instagram. It’s already achieved virality and has been viewed tens of thousands of times as of this writing.

The girls in the video attend Weber High School in Pleasant View, Utah. In a statement released yesterday, the Weber School District noted:
We are shocked by the conduct of these students and the contents of the video. School officials have started an investigation and the matter is being taken very seriously. We are trying to determine when the video was made, where it was filmed, why the students would engage in such conduct, and how the clip ended up on social media.
The results of that investigation immediately turned up the following information: the video was taken last year; while the students were on fall break; and the students were apparently not involved in a school-related function at the time.

Administrators appear to be caught off-guard and horrified and released a second statement yesterday, which read, in part:
We understand this is a very sensitive matter and it has invoked a lot of strong emotional response [sic] from people all over the world. There is no excuse for these girl’s [sic] action. With that being said, neither shouldn’t [sic] there be justification for threats toward them and their families. Hatred only breeds more hatred. These are teenagers who made a big mistake, and they will be held accountability [sic]. Please be patient and reasonable as we deal with this situation.
The school district’s investigation also suggests that the girls recorded gibberish into an app which was played backwards to produce the offending phrase.

As the investigation is still ongoing, the students in question have not been punished yet, but administrators with the Weber School District said that loss of cheerleading privileges and expulsion are both on the table.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

On The Fringe
captain of 50

Post by On The Fringe »

I've never met you before nor did I read anything in detail except the thread title and skim the first two posts (enough to know this thread isn't actually for insulting you)... But you did ask in the title so letting go of my inhibitions!

You, my friend, are a gnashnab.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel wrote: August 31st, 2018, 11:15 am A billboard referring to President Donald Trump as "Our Leader The Idiot" is making waves in a New Jersey town. The town says it has no control over the privately owned billboard but calls it "potentially offensive." A town spokeswoman says she doesn`t know how long the billboard will stay up.

captainfearnot
captain of 1,000

Post by captainfearnot »

There was a really good Radiolab podcast recently about free speech and Facebook:

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/post-no-evil

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

Since your avatar is Joel Osteen, I'll let Elder M. Russell Ballard do it.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Rowan Atkinson on Freedom of Speech (Reupload)

Post by Joel »

AKA Reform Section 5

This is one of my favorite little speeches on freedom of speech given in 2012 by Rowan Atkinson when he was campaigning to reform a horrible law restricting speech in his country. Ultimately, with a lot of other people working for this change the campaign met its goal and reformed the law.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

It Took a Jury 9 Minutes to Decide a Man Could Legally Blast 'F*ck tha Police' Near an Officer

Post by Joel »

It Took a Jury 9 Minutes to Decide a Man Could Legally Blast '@#$%! tha Police' Near an Officer

This week, a jury found a Michigan man not guilty for blasting an anti-police anthem in the presence of an officer.

In June, an Oakland County sheriff's deputy pulled Dejuante Franklin over in front of a gas station for a traffic violation. While handing Franklin his ticket, NWA's "@#$%! tha Police" began to play in the background. As it turns out, James Webb, who did not know Franklin, witnessed the stop. He decided on his own accord to turn the song up louder before walking into the gas station store. When he exited, the officer slapped him with a ticket for misdemeanor noise violation, citing that Webb played the song at an "extremely high volume."

Webb faced a $500 fine and 93 days in jail. He contested that the officer was more upset by the song choice and less upset by the volume. Rather than paying the fine, Webb took the matter to court.

Despite the officer's reasoning, a jury absolved Webb of wrongdoing on Monday. Following nine minutes of deliberation, the jury found Webb not guilty of violating a noise ordinance.

Prior to the verdict, the deputy said that he took issue with the vulgarity of the word "@#$%!" in the song. However, Nicholas Somberg, a lawyer who represented Webb pro bono, said that a video from the initial traffic stop showed the officer using the same word with Franklin. Because of this and the circumstances leading to the ticket, Webb believed that this was a free speech issue.

When asked what he would say to the officer who ticketed him, Webb told FOX 2 Detroit, "I don't know, just same as the song would say. Sorry. Sorry that you didn't get one over on somebody."

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Police Arrested a Man for Being Mean to Them on the Internet

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Michigan Court: Giving the middle finger to police a right protected by the constitution

Post by Joel »

When it comes to the middle finger, police might need a thicker skin. A federal appeals court says a Michigan woman's constitutional rights were violated when she was handed a speeding ticket after giving the finger to a suburban Detroit officer in 2017. The decision means a lawsuit by Debra Cruise-Gulyas can proceed.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

SCOTUS justices avoid saying 'FUCT' in brand case

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

On The Fringe wrote: December 13th, 2017, 12:37 am I've never met you before nor did I read anything in detail except the thread title and skim the first two posts (enough to know this thread isn't actually for insulting you)... But you did ask in the title so letting go of my inhibitions!

You, my friend, are a gnashnab.
Whoo Who Hate Gnashnab Speck, but not Speaking About Silly Free Speech. :mrgreen:

a Tuple a Day, but not on a monthly anniversary. :? :mrgreen:

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Mass Bill Would Make It ILLEGAL To Call Someone ‘B!tch’