Attack Canada!

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
ldsff
captain of 1,000

Attack Canada!

Post by ldsff »

Attack Canada!
By Robert Higgs on Jul 26, 2008

During the many years I resided in the Seattle area, I frequently drove up Interstate 5 to Vancouver, to eat at a favorite restaurant, visit friends, or just enjoy myself in one of the world’s most spectacularly beautiful cities.

At Blaine, Washington, where travelers along this route cross the border into Canada, I always took notice of the magnificent Peace Arch, which sits precisely athwart the border. On the U.S. side, its inscription reads “Children of a Common Mother,” and I was always bemused by what I took to be the implicit ethnocentrism of that expression. It seems to be the sort of thought that occurred naturally to WASP movers and shakers circa 1921, the year the monument was dedicated, but it certainly would not pass muster with today’s multicultural gatekeepers.

Be that as it may, I always relished the idea that the people of Canada and the United States had been peaceful neighbors for so long—memories having faded of U.S. attempts to conquer Canada at the outset of the War of Independence and at the outset of the War of 1812, not to mention the Fenian raids between 1866 and 1871 and the 1859 Pig War (certainly my all-time favorite war, inasmuch as no shots were fired, except the one that killed the pig). Because I have enjoyed so many warm friendships with Canadians and spent so many pleasant times in their country during the past forty years, I confess that the idea of warfare between the United States and Canada strikes me as flat-out preposterous.

So, I was somewhat taken aback when, searching for information on another matter, I stumbled upon a description of War Plan Red, which pertains to a war between the United States and the British Empire. The U.S. Army developed this plan, along with many other color-coded contingency plans, in the 1920s and kept it warm until the end of the 1930s, when new plans were made in which the United States and Canada would cooperate in military actions against common enemies, such as Germany and Japan.

War Plan Red envisioned primarily U.S. attacks on and occupation of various Canadian cities, including Halifax (to be subjected to a poison-gas first strike), Quebec City, Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg, Vancouver, and Victoria. To imagine U.S. Army officers drawing up such a plan only a few years before I was born boggles my mind. What were they thinking?

As if War Plan Red were not bizarre enough, be advised that an enterprising Canadian soldier, Colonel James “Buster” Sutherland Brown (yes, Buster Brown—I am not making this up), drew up a plan in 1921 for Canadian forces to get the jump on the more powerful Americans before the Yankees could invade Canada. Brown’s Defence Scheme No. 1 called for quick Canadian military thrusts to seize various U.S. cities—Seattle, Minneapolis, and Albany, among others—before retreating from them in an orderly manner. The idea was to divert U.S. troops and buy time for the British Empire to bring more powerful forces onto the scene in Canada’s defense. The Canadian military abandoned the plan in 1928, which, strange to say, was shortly after the U.S. Army formulated War Plan Red, a design consisting, for the most part, of plans for an invasion of Canada.

For letting down its guard against a possible—nay, a planned—U.S. invasion, I blame Canada. I’m sure you know the lyrics for my indictment.

http://www.independent.org/blog/

SPARTACUS
captain of 100

Re: Attack Canada!

Post by SPARTACUS »

Canada is nothing more than America's hat! They are sitting on our oil!

Just kidding. Thanks for posting that. It is chilling to learn about military plans such as the one you described. To think people would plan such things without really considering the consequences. Thankfully none of those plans came to fruition.

Robert
captain of 100

Post by Robert »

You can still visit Canada after we invade it. I dont see the USA nuking to many cities. Your favorite restoraunt may still be there. They will just have to adopt our language, and our lust for war. And yes we will have to destroy their monuments, change their history and kill some of the leaders. Other than that it should be the same. Wouldnt you like it better if it was more states of the USA rather than a different country?

Robert
captain of 100

Post by Robert »

Who supports a Canadian invasion? We need the people backing us????? I know we could burn the white house down and say the Canadians did it.

We need some translators. Does anyone speek Canadian?
Last edited by Robert on July 29th, 2008, 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Eh?

Robert
captain of 100

Post by Robert »

shadow wrote:Eh?
You speak canadian. Help me with the invasion. We will split it 50/50

Okay, I am bored. I will be gone tomorrow for a small frameing job (which will make a lot of people happy). I like the net, but I like getting away from it to.

I am a slow reader but I have learned a lot from people on this and another forum. They kind of consolidate things for me.

Peace

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Robert wrote:You speak canadian. Help me with the invasion. We will split it 50/50Peace
Yes, I do speak Canadian. This split you refer to, is that paid in Loonies? Canada has no 1 dollar bill you know :?
The first thing I'll buy with my split is a Nissan (pronounced nis-sand minus the "d") then I'll put some decals (decal is pronounced as though it rhymes with Jeckyl) on it to spruce it up and make it go faster eh :wink: Oh, the Nissan model I want is a "Z" pronounced "zed", seriously. Now that's progress (the "pro" in progress is pronounced the same as in "pro football", I mean pro hockey :oops: )
So about (pronounced aboat or aboot) what time do you want to discuss this invasion?? Lets discuss this over a Kraft dinner (macaroni & cheese) at my house (sounds like hose only the "s" really sounds like an "s"). Make sure you bring your parka, it gets a little chilly up there, eh. See ya you hoser (term of endearment).

Robert
captain of 100

Post by Robert »

shadow wrote:
Robert wrote:You speak canadian. Help me with the invasion. We will split it 50/50Peace
Yes, I do speak Canadian. This split you refer to, is that paid in Loonies? Canada has no 1 dollar bill you know :?
The first thing I'll buy with my split is a Nissan (pronounced nis-sand minus the "d") then I'll put some decals (decal is pronounced as though it rhymes with Jeckyl) on it to spruce it up and make it go faster eh :wink: Oh, the Nissan model I want is a "Z" pronounced "zed", seriously. Now that's progress (the "pro" in progress is pronounced the same as in "pro football", I mean pro hockey :oops: )
So about (pronounced aboat or aboot) what time do you want to discuss this invasion?? Lets discuss this over a Kraft dinner (macaroni & cheese) at my house (sounds like hose only the "s" really sounds like an "s"). Make sure you bring your parka, it gets a little chilly up there, eh. See ya you hoser (term of endearment).
LOL....I will bring some cookies and milk. The take over should only take a couple of days, so we can do it on a weekend. We will liberate Canada. This has got to be super top secret.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

La langue du monde est Anglais, et la langue du ciel est le Français raffiné de Canada, mais la langue du royaume célest est Acadienne. (Selon ma mère)

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Proud 2b Peculiar »

Weird, I almost can read that all...

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

[quote= Acadienne. (Selon ma mère)[/quote]

Need help with this part tho

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

The language of the world is English, and the language of heaven is French, but the language of the celestial kingdom is Acadian. (According to my mother) Acadia - Google it if curious. Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, part of Maine, Prince Edward Island, in that region.

ithink
captain of 1,000

Post by ithink »

Americans are funny. On my mission, in an apartment of 4 upstairs and 2 upstairs missionaries, we had the American elders believing we had doors in or roofs (rufs) so we could get out in the winter after the annual 12' snowfall. :lol: :lol: They claimed 2 days later they didn't believe us, but the looks on their faces told otherwise.

:lol:

Canada is going to be good for something soon. Gotta get rid of the whole monarchy thing first though.

Moses
captain of 100

Post by Moses »

Canada is going to be good for something soon. Gotta get rid of the whole monarchy thing first though
The monarchy and friendship with Britain, makes iit a great nation. King George may have been a bad king, but the office of King is a noble one and not all kings, like not all commoners , or Presidents are bad, or good.

Give me Canada any day. Great nation and beautiful. :D TIC....

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Yeah, but they say "ay" a lot and I'm going to "phone" you instead of I'm going to "call" you.

My husband has been traveling to Canada a lot for work lately and he has been amazed at how much better the members are at service than we are here.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

And the Canadian people are even better the further East you go.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

My experience has been that it's the further north you go.

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

The language of the world is English, and the language of heaven is French, but the language of the celestial kingdom is Acadian.
And here I thought the language of Heaven, etc., was Valarian...taught by the Valar to the Calaquendi...the High Elves that came to Aman in the Days of the Trees...

:D

Robert
captain of 100

Post by Robert »

Moses wrote:
Canada is going to be good for something soon. Gotta get rid of the whole monarchy thing first though
The monarchy and friendship with Britain, makes iit a great nation. King George may have been a bad king, but the office of King is a noble one and not all kings, like not all commoners , or Presidents are bad, or good.

Give me Canada any day. Great nation and beautiful. :D TIC....
Moses, I am glad to see you checking up on us colonists again. I look forward to seeing the british troops restoreinng order in the mess that the elites have created here. Hopefully you will come with them to serve your royal king. I look forward to seeing all of you in the welcoming Fair. It will be like the first time your royal tyrants tried to oppress the Americans. Ready for another tea party.......... chap?

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

On the road between St. Stephen and St. Andrews, along the St. Stephen River bordering New Brunswick and Maine is a sign stating the the old block house was once visited by a British officer who noted the cannon balls and shot, but had to ask why was there no gunpowder to be found. He was told tht it had been loaned to the Americans across the river to use in their 4th of July celebration.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Now that's just plain funny!

Moses
captain of 100

Im not coming form the angle that you think

Post by Moses »

Moses, I am glad to see you checking up on us colonists again. I look forward to seeing the british troops restoreinng order in the mess that the elites have created here. Hopefully you will come with them to serve your royal king. I look forward to seeing all of you in the welcoming Fair. It will be like the first time your royal tyrants tried to oppress the Americans. Ready for another tea party.......... chap?

Haha

Not really, different times, different situation. Thankfully.Last I heard though Canda and England are firm friends.

Jenny
captain of 50

Post by Jenny »

Laugh now but take a look at this http://www.ccbc.com/home/ now maybe it is just me but China and Canada? Maybe we ought to take a closer look at this.

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Thanks for the post Jenny.