America 1776-1976

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
tribrac
captain of 1,000

America 1776-1976

Post by tribrac »

I was up early this morning and watched KBYU TV. Ernest Wilkinson gave a speech at BYU in August of 1976 on America. I'd read this talk before, but it was good to hear it again. Here is a link for anyone interested.
http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=965

One interesting point, we have all heard the quote "the constitution will hang by a thread and the Elders of the Church will save it" he quotes Orson Hyde who remembers Joseph saying that the Constitution will hang by a thread and if it can be saved at all it would be by the elders" giving the suggestion that it might not be saved.

Spence
captain of 1,000

Re: America 1776-1976

Post by Spence »

Can't remember if it was BYU TV or KBYU, but yeah I watched it a bit later in the day, I only caught the tail end of it though. Yesterday BYU-TV had another talk about the Constitution given by Marion G. Romney. I listend to a bit of it, but again only caught the tail half.

My brother is currently at BYU, a few Sundays ago we were talking about Obama. That is when my brother brought up. "Who is that crazy guy? Everyone at BYU is nuts about him. All I see is signs in support, etc. etc." My dad replied that it was Ron Paul and that I supported him. That is when I piped up in defense of him. Saying I had donated to his campaign and he was far from nuts.

My younger siblings know about him since I have let them know. That is when my little brother (11 years old) said, "Why do people think he is crazy." And my mother said he has some radical ideas. I responded with, "No more radical than the founders of this nation, no more radical than the Constitution of the United States."

So apparently there are many smart people at BYU, perhaps many of those smart people are setting the program schedule for BYU Broadcasting? :)