Lessons of Gratitude

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

Lessons of Gratitude

Post by SwissMrs&Pitchfire »

The most stalwart example of gratitude we have in the scriptures is Nephi. He was ever faithful to the lord, never complaining, always expressing thanks and praise.

Gratitude fills our minds with freedom and our hearts with love. It gives us the free agency to choose for ourselves, to think as we choose. Anger is to our minds as smoking is to our bodies, it
in-traps our minds and is hard to break free from.

I know this woman who chose to take the afflictions of her childhood and become bitter and angry because of them. Rather than taking accountability and fixing the problems she allowed the anger to grow.

Through out her life she thought if only I had more $, less obligations, or if the children were gone, or her husband treated her better, or if her neighbors would just stop talking about her behind her back, or maybe if her mother would be nicer to her, or her father-in-law would be more generous... then all her problems would go away. She was ever seeking to fix her anger by changing the people or the life situation she found herself in. She never looked inside her heart and she continued to allow anger to be her master.

In her old age she has all the things she sought after. She is wealthy, travels as she pleases, has a big new home, her children are all married and gone, her mother passed away, she and her husband live side by side never really seeing each other, and her father-in-law leaves her alone. Yet, she hasn't the peace and love she longed for. Actually, many of her children refuse to see or speak to her other than on rare occasions. Anger has brought her a life time of misery and it rules her life and choices now. She is still blaming everyone else for her anger and refuses to take accountability for her feelings and actions (Of course they were/are all justified).

Expressions of gratitude seem to have a cleansing effect upon our souls and our minds. I have found it to be the quickest way to purifying and sanctifying our souls and healing our wounds. The Lord truly is merciful and is waiting to gather us and wrap us in His arms of ever lasting love.

drjme
captain of 1,000

Post by drjme »

I completely agree.

I'm a 'self help' fan and the biggest and most effective life changing action is Gratitude. How the hex else am I supposed to get by when I come and read at this site everyday to get depressed :D .
Gratitude is what frees me from the yearning for more 'stuff', from greed, envy and jealousy. It allows me to step out of modern societies mentality and take a look at what is really important in life.
And in the pursuit of what everyone is going for whatever it is, bigger, better, faster, more expensive, is the cause in general of lack of gratitude.
Expressions of gratitude seem to have a cleansing effect upon our souls and our minds. I have found it to be the quickest way to purifying and sanctifying our souls and healing our wounds. The Lord truly is merciful and is waiting to gather us and wrap us in His arms of ever lasting love.
All it takes is focusing on what you are grateful for as soon as you wake up for half an hour. It will change your whole day.

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Proud 2b Peculiar »

:D

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

You're lucky if you get pounded on enough to learn this lesson early. Life isn't about how you can get what you want or even how you can survive, but about learning how to grow and thrive while taking a beating. I've done a lot of that wo is me stuff and all it's ever done for me is to make me bitter and generally unpleasant.

I still find myself doing that sometimes. It is truly amazing how light our burdens become when we are not only full of gratitude, but we lift others. After all, if you're at the bottom of the pit you're in a better position to pick up the person who fell in above you.

ROB GIBBSEN
captain of 100

Re: Lessons of Gratitude

Post by ROB GIBBSEN »

gratitude makes me high

i love the feeling.....peace, joy

It is like being in the Presence of God

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Speaking of being graced by the presence of greatness, I hope S&P return from the secret prison soon. I'd like Pitches take on the economy.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

I hope so too, but haven't heard much from them. Maybe they are in secret prison and aren't telling the rest of the family. I think I'm kidding.

Jenny
captain of 50

Post by Jenny »

Gratitude is a powerful gift for us and for those who we show our gratitude to. Especially our Heavenly Father. He does so much for us each day. I wonder how much I miss that is done for me. Sometimes I get so caught up in the day to day I forget to look around at the sweet gifts given to me by so many along the way. Families and marriages would be so much more happy if we only would all say how much we appreciate each other and notice how much is done for us by others. Have you ever tried to pray only a prayer of gratitude without asking for anything? Try it, you may be surprised to find that you have alot more asks than thank yous in most of your prayers. I am thankful today for another wonderful day of my life. How about you? What are you grateful for?