Understanding D&C 98

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

Understanding D&C 98

Post by SwissMrs&Pitchfire »

I believe that we are to defend against exigent circumstances where appeal cannot be made (but to utter a short immediate prayer if the time even exists for that).

But when conflict arises that can be managed, I believe that is what section 98 discusses. It does not seem to stop us from "going out to battle" either. I believe Hugh Nibley was correct about that when he said:
When Mormon reports that the Nephites lost their last campaign because they “went up unto the Lamanites,” he is reviewing a particular case—there may be times when offensive action is indicated in war.

One can easily distinguish between general principles and special exceptions because the former are stated in general terms and as direct commands of God
I think that what section 98 is saying in that regard is best articulated in vs.36
Then I, the Lord, would give unto them a commandment, and justify them in going out to battle against that nation, tongue, or people.
If we then forebear, we are blessed, however we are likewise completely justified in going out to battle. But if the enemy comes against you, clearly we are then immediately justified in defending ourselves. It would seem that the laws of self defense and warfare are separate in some ways.
Last edited by SwissMrs&Pitchfire on January 8th, 2008, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by SwissMrs&Pitchfire »

I have to contradict myself somewhat by saying that I do not believe the doctrine of "special circumstances."

That is to say that Nephi slaying Laban followed a clear law (as Dr. Jones has clearly pointed out) and likewise that the general law above is: "Then I, the Lord, would give unto them a commandment, and justify them in going out to battle against that nation, tongue, or people."

That is not a special circumstance but the Lord very clearly articulates it herein as law!

We may not understand the law by which God operates, but He never operates outside of law. In that, there are no "special circumstances."