Have you lost your Priesthood?

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
Ben McClintock
captain of 100

Have you lost your Priesthood?

Post by Ben McClintock »

http://www.mormonchronicle.com/have-you ... riesthood/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“If you deprive a man of his right to fail in the righteous use of his property, you also deprive him of his right to succeed. If you remove from a man his right to ‘go to hell,’ you likewise remove his free agency to go to heaven.” Howard W. Hunter, BYU, 8 March, 1966
read the rest at the link above.

Fairminded
captain of 1,000

Re: Have you lost your Priesthood?

Post by Fairminded »

Thank you for bringing this up. I think it's a very real problem among members these days, that they think it's not only moral but necessary to force people to "do good". Not only is it wrong in and of itself, but it creates the sort of viewpoint that allows otherwise righteous members to fall in line behind the actions of evil and conspiring men. The modern day Gadiantons have proven very adept at painting their actions as good, when really they resort to compulsion and violate life, liberty, and property at every turn.

For the most part it leads to minor things like members thinking themselves righteous for calling the police on neighbors whose lawns are growing too long or whose dogs are barking through the night. But I fear that, as things continue to grow worse and worse, they'll think it equally righteous to inform on their neighbors and see them dragged away in the night.

NoGreaterLove
captain of 1,000

Post by NoGreaterLove »

Fairminded wrote:Thank you for bringing this up. I think it's a very real problem among members these days, that they think it's not only moral but necessary to force people to "do good". Not only is it wrong in and of itself, but it creates the sort of viewpoint that allows otherwise righteous members to fall in line behind the actions of evil and conspiring men. The modern day Gadiantons have proven very adept at painting their actions as good, when really they resort to compulsion and violate life, liberty, and property at every turn.

For the most part it leads to minor things like members thinking themselves righteous for calling the police on neighbors whose lawns are growing too long or whose dogs are barking through the night. But I fear that, as things continue to grow worse and worse, they'll think it equally righteous to inform on their neighbors and see them dragged away in the night.
I agree. There is a line between when to use force and when not to. For me, it is when my or my families life or health is in jeopardy or my property is being stolen or destroyed. Property value is not one of the reasons I call for assistance. If I am bothered by my neighbors high grass or weeds, then I need to get off my duff and give him a hand taking care of them.

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

good explanation of priestcrafting, hmmmmm, I wonder..............................

Songbird
captain of 1,000

Post by Songbird »

Correction: It's not "your" Priesthood, it is the Lord's and you are the administrators of it....

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

you are aware,, when excommunicated "members" are re-baptised, they are not re-confirmed priesthood, but automatically return to their former "station"