Washington Reinterprets Constitutional Eligibility

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
tsc
captain of 100

Washington Reinterprets Constitutional Eligibility

Post by tsc »

Here it comes... :(

Washington reinterprets constitutional eligibility
FEC rules naturalized citizens are same as 'natural born' in presidential votes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: September 26, 2011
9:26 am Eastern

© 2011 WND

Barack Obama and Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga

A Guyana-born naturalized American citizen fits the Federal Elections Commission's requirements to run for president, the FEC announced in a ruling.

The case involves New York lawyer Abdul Hassan, who was born in the South American country in 1974. Hassan argues it is discriminatory to not allow him to run for office.

Responding to criticism of possible dual-loyalty issues, Hassan said in a radio interview that a person's place of birth should not determine his patriotism or presidential eligibility.

"I am an attorney," he said. "When I undertake the representation of a client, I have to act in the best interests of my client," Hassan stated on "Aaron Klein Investigative Radio" on New York's WABC Radio.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=348933" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Re: Washington Reinterprets Constitutional Eligibility

Post by kathyn »

But that would mean that someone born out of the country (say in Africa) could become president....nah, never gonna happen. /sarc/

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Gee, and since when does the FEC make rulings on the Constitution? Seems like these people need a firm reminder of their boundaries.
Last edited by Original_Intent on September 26th, 2011, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gert
captain of 100

Post by gert »

BOOOO!!!

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

In the immortal words of Commisioner Gordon: "Saints peserve us!

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Honestly you guys believe everything you read in WND?

If you read the opinion http://www.abdulhassanforpresident.com/ ... sident.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You discover that they did not rule that he could be president they ruled he could run for president. Now this is a nit picky legal distinction I'll admit but lawyers live for this kind of thing. What they are saying is you have a right to run but they are not saying that if elected you would have a right to serve if elected. See the distinction here?

Tribunal
captain of 1,000

Post by Tribunal »

There is no distinction! If you allow an unqualified person to run for President and they win, what's to stop them from becoming President? The people? The other party? The courts? The Constitution? Seriously!

Silas
captain of 1,000

Post by Silas »

There might be a technical distinction but I think it is wrong to allow a person to run who is not qualified. There is the possibility then that they may be elected. Tribunal is right who would stop them from taking office? Stick with the Constitution, no one should be permitted to run who does not meet the Constitution's requirements.

Tribunal
captain of 1,000

Post by Tribunal »

Thanks Silas.

I believe this is a serious issue. What would we (The People) do if we had a person run for President, and win, only to find out the man was born in a country like...Kenya? What would we do? Throw him out of office? Yeah right!!! Like that is going to happen!!!