9-11 Sacrament Meeting

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
tribrac
captain of 1,000

9-11 Sacrament Meeting

Post by tribrac »

Just curious what other people's Sacrament meetings were like on 9-11.

Did everyone else get the full flag ceremony with the colors posted front and center next to the podium? Pledge of Alegiance, Battle Hymn of the Republic, and God Bless America? Did any of ya'll honor the army vets in the audience? Or have a former soldier give a recruitment speach, um, uhh, I mean sacrament meeting talk?

Did anyone else feel funny about it?

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Re: 9-11 Sacrament Meeting

Post by pjbrownie »

Just heard America the Beautiful as the prelude

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

We had a talk on scripture study, and temple attendance and sang America the Beautiful as a closing song.

At Stake HP group meeting the Stake President mentioned how as a mission president at the time he could not fly missionaries home for a few weeks after 9/11, not one other word.

7cylon7
captain of 1,000

Post by 7cylon7 »

Thank goodness no. We did have one of the bishopric ( a very good man ) tell us about his remembered memories on that day as he was in a plane flying and had to be diverted shortly after take off. Had to get a hotel and there was nothing left to do but watch the events unfold on that day. He said he felt for the victims, as we all do. So in general I have no complaints except if I had been talking I would of put up a warning sound that we can all be deceived. We get deceived all the time. The only way not to be deceived is to rely on the HG. I would of said in the BOM times the people were deceived into thinking a KING was the way to go. Even many of the church members turned against freedom and demanded a KING be appointed. Only the very BOLD captain Moroni and his title of liberty rallied the troops in his favor. I might remind you that all the KINGMEN that would not support freedom were put to death. I would also remind them that the laws were changed to support those Kingmen and laws were changed to support the kingmen. We don't see that today do we? no we don't ? I would of tried to let them connect the dots of what happened to them and what is happening to us. The BOM was written for us today!!! I would of supported the outpouring of emotions to the victims but would of reminded them that first responders were not even allowed at the 10th anniversary remembrance as they are now seen as a political eye sore as many have reported health problems due to the rescue effort and recovery in the smoke cloud of asbestos.

If I said what I really would of like to say I am sure the bishop would have to ask me to sit down. Maybe. I have never tried it.

AGalagaChiasmus
captain of 100

Post by AGalagaChiasmus »

The Stake Presidency was there to change the Bishopric. Our Bishop had served his 5 years. No patriotic hymns, talks, etc. Not even in Sunday School, Priesthood/R.S. I'm not disappointed, really.

I know what you mean, though. Sometimes Sacrament meetings can get out of hand and de-focus on the Savior. I've been to one too many Missionary farewells that turned it into the Church of [Missionary's Name Here] of Latter Day Saints. (This was before the Brethren issued the cautionary statement against Missionary homecomings, farewells...)

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

Actually, there was no mention of it in our sacrament meeting. It was a normal Sunday.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

I was home with a sick baby but my wife said it was really good. We had a missionary farewell and apparently he took most of the time but his talk was great. The only mention of 911 was during the invocation.
I was at my mom's house and watched the Mormon Tab. Choir program with guest Tom Brokaw and thought it was excellent!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td2z6eMwrI0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

While I am still shocked about yesterday, I feel better that it sounds as if I saw the outlier not the mainstream. That seems to be the case more often than not 'round these parts.

In related news, does anyone want to buy my house?

Moss Man
captain of 100

Post by Moss Man »

The invocation mentioned the "fallen" and our rest hymn was changed to Battle Hymn of the Republic. The chorister asked everyone to stand in remembrance and, like sheep, the whole congregation stood. My wife and I stayed seated. It gave me the creeps as I thought it had no place in that meeting.

Army Of Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Army Of Truth »

Moss Man wrote:The invocation mentioned the "fallen" and our rest hymn was changed to Battle Hymn of the Republic. The chorister asked everyone to stand in remembrance and, like sheep, the whole congregation stood. My wife and I stayed seated. It gave me the creeps as I thought it had no place in that meeting.
wow! Talk about brainwashing 9/11 to mean "War is Peace". The media uses 9/11 every year to continuously conjure up fear in the sheeple to make us love War in order to be "Patriotic" and hate Muslims and all Arabs.
Unbelievable.

TheProfessor
captain of 100

Post by TheProfessor »

Stake Conference FTW :D

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Mostly a regular Sunday in our ward, thankfully. The opening prayer included a plea for protection of our soldiers, etc... - not a word about please protect and help the missionaries, or our Bishopric, or anybody else, of course. The talks were assigned, as they always are, and had nothing to do with the date, etc... They spoke about councils - family, couples, church, etc... The counselor who was conducting said a few words about 9/11 in his closing remarks, but wasn't too extremely gushey. Just regular type hymns sung.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Moss Man wrote:The invocation mentioned the "fallen" and our rest hymn was changed to Battle Hymn of the Republic. The chorister asked everyone to stand in remembrance and, like sheep, the whole congregation stood. My wife and I stayed seated. It gave me the creeps as I thought it had no place in that meeting.

You're a better man than me. I stood up along with all the others for the pagentry and pledge, although I did not make the sign or repeat the words of the oath. Later I pretended to get my class stuff together and left early when the congregation all stood up to sing the closing war anthem.

With all my neighbors and ward friends standing, I couldn't help but feeling that I was the wacky one.

Farmer
captain of 50

Post by Farmer »

Regular meetings, missionary farewell and not a mention or word about 9-11. Not even a patriotic hymn. 100% on the savior or missionary work.

John Locke
captain of 1,000

Post by John Locke »

ya because remembering the lives that were taken on that day is just a horrible and evil act. Please explain how standing to remember the victims is a bad thing?

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

John Locke wrote:ya because remembering the lives that were taken on that day is just a horrible and evil act. Please explain how standing to remember the victims is a bad thing?
We've been over this before on long lost threads. Many people interpret the hymn in their own way not really reading the lyrics, and that's OK. It's when they bash church meetings where the hymn is sung that they err... oh wait...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpZ3jPMM5Ac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henmasher
captain of 1,000

Post by Henmasher »

tribrac wrote:

You're a better man than me. I stood up along with all the others for the pagentry and pledge, although I did not make the sign or repeat the words of the oath. Later I pretended to get my class stuff together and left early when the congregation all stood up to sing the closing war anthem.

With all my neighbors and ward friends standing, I couldn't help but feeling that I was the wacky one.
You only felt 8-|

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

I spoke on the priesthood and focused remarks out of "preach my gospel".

We sang "America the Beautiful" as our rest hymn.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Servant wrote:100% on the savior or missionary work.
What?!? The Savior was mentioned in your sacrament meeting? Above and beyond people saying, 'In the name of ...." at the end of their talks/prayers? I want to be in your ward, Servant!!

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Normal meetings for us. Several prayers made mention of the losses on that day. One teacher tied a small comment in the lesson to the losses. No big deal. No bloodthristy comments.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

yoputh speaker 1: how the Savior's example helps me overcome tempation
youth speaker 2: our family traditions that help me live a Christ centerd life
beautifl musical number of the harp (forgot the song) hymn about Jesus
adult speaker 1: favorite parables Jesus taught and how they help me follow him
mindblowing musical number, lady singing I know that my Redeemer lives
adult speaker 2: a powerful and docrtinally rich talk on the atonement

Wish you all could've been there. It was a fantastic meeting. There might have been something said about 9/11 but I didn't pay too much attention as I was rather focused on something a great deal more important than that.

AGalagaChiasmus
captain of 100

Post by AGalagaChiasmus »

durangout wrote:yoputh speaker 1: how the Savior's example helps me overcome tempation
youth speaker 2: our family traditions that help me live a Christ centerd life
beautifl musical number of the harp (forgot the song) hymn about Jesus
adult speaker 1: favorite parables Jesus taught and how they help me follow him
mindblowing musical number, lady singing I know that my Redeemer lives
adult speaker 2: a powerful and docrtinally rich talk on the atonement

Wish you all could've been there. It was a fantastic meeting. There might have been something said about 9/11 but I didn't pay too much attention as I was rather focused on something a great deal more important than that.
:ymapplause:

zachlarsen
Hi, I'm new.

Post by zachlarsen »

We had Stake Conference. Elder Christopherson was the visiting authority, and the talks were all typical (very good) Stake Conference talks. 9/11 was mentioned once in passing. It was a very good meeting though!

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

durangout wrote:yoputh speaker 1:
youth speaker 2:
beautifl musical number of the harp
adult speaker 1:
mindblowing musical number,
adult speaker 2:
How long are your sacrament meetings? We have two speakers and one musical number or intermediate hymn each week, and we still go over-time every single Sunday, without fail (which is a BIG problem for Primary, as our Primary is in the chapel, and this really cuts into our set-up and opening exercises). If we had FOUR speakers and TWO musical numbers - that would take the entire 3-hour block!

Henmasher
captain of 1,000

Post by Henmasher »

Boy for some the 4th of July must feel like a swollen hemroid. That is as long as it lands on a Sunday.

Does anybody have something nice to say where the victims of 9/11 were mentioned?

And it is a far cry in the crapper to say that it is disrespectful to God or not what we should be doing in church if someone should talk about 9/11 during church on the tenth anniversary. Have we all hollowed our brains out to the point that it is unmentionable???????? Good grief

Our second counselor spoke for 5 minutes on the sorrow he felt that day, how we should remember the unity the country felt (go ahead and rail about blood thirst if you wish), how so many awoke to their awful situation that day, how we should be prepared for the future, you know.........all the stuff that has nothing to do with God and the sabbath day. I should have just slept in i-)