The new Mormon focused prop 8 documentary..

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
AshleyB
captain of 1,000

The new Mormon focused prop 8 documentary..

Post by AshleyB »

I noticed there is a new documentary on netflix about prop 8 and its all mormon focused. And of course it was made by an ex member. 8-| So there is a lot of bias there. I didnt watch it. Couldn't bring myself too because these things make me really upset. Its not even that some think that not legalizing gay marriage is immoral or wrong. Or that someone else has a different view. The thing that bugs me is when the entire church and its members are demonized because they hold to a different belief system and set of values. I dont like that mormons are painted to be bigots and haters just because they may not agree and put effort standing up for what they believe in. It really upsets me.

I read many of the reviews and most of the people believed everything the movie tried to get across ...that we are all apparently sick, immoral bigots. I have had plenty of gay friends. And I can honestly say that I love them dearly and dont judge them. And they knew that. But they also knew that I didnt agree with it or condone it and we were still able to be friends and love each other. We had conversations about it and one friend of mine opened up to me and told me a lot about his history. He had been abused and struggled for a long time with things. There was clearly a lot of inner turmoil. I literally went inside and cried my eyes out just getting a tiny glimpse into what he struggled with day to day and I wouldnt want that for anyone. It was a terrible feeling. I know thats not every gay persons story but it helped me to understand him more personally. And I just had even more love an compassion for him. You love the sinner but not the sin. Why is that so hard for people to understand? We are all sinners in the same boat. I sin. But I dont expect everyone to pat me on the back when I do it or agree with it. But I do expect them to love me anyway. And thats how it should be.

They seem to throw out the lines a lot that people are starving while members in the church spent " lots of money" on this political agenda...blah blah blah. But I think its just silly and their way of doing exactly to the church that they are saying is being done to them. Demonizing. Many people spent money in order to have gay marriage legalized while children were starving so whats the correlation exactly? Ugh it just bugs me. Has anyone else seen this documentary? Why does a lack of condoning or agreeing with something automatically = gay hater or bigot with people? It makes no sense to me.

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Re: The new Mormon focused prop 8 documentary..

Post by iamse7en »

Was it 8: The Mormon Proposition by Reed Cowan? I saw that last summer. Big smear campaign to paint us and tyrannical bastards who follow the orders of our evil masters to tear apart families and take away their right to live and pursue happiness. 'Twas painful to watch, but I just can't help myself sometimes.