Flag Draped Coffin

For discussion of liberty, freedom, government and politics.
tsc
captain of 100

Flag Draped Coffin

Post by tsc »

Meaning of Flag Draped Coffin

All Americans should be given this lesson. Those who think that America is an arrogant nation should really reconsider that thought. Our founding fathers used GOD's word and teachings to establish our Great Nation and I think it's high time Americans get re-educated about this Nation's history.

Pass it along and be proud of the country we live in and even more proud of those who serve to protect our 'GOD GIVEN' rights and freedoms.

I hope you take the time to read this ... To understand what the flag draped coffin really means ... Here is how to understand the flag that laid upon it and is surrendered to so many widows and widowers.

Do you know that at military funerals, the 21-gun salute stands for the sum of the numbers in the year 1776?

Have you ever noticed the honor guard pays meticulous attention to correctly folding the United States of America Flag 13 times? You probably thought it was to symbolize the original 13 colonies, but we learn something new every day!

The 1st fold of the flag is a symbol of life.

The 2ndfold is a symbol of the belief in eternal life.

The 3rd fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veterans departing the ranks who gave a portion of their lives for the defense of the country to attain peace throughout the world.

The 4th fold represents the weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in time of war for His divine guidance.

The 5th fold is a tribute to the country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, 'Our Country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong.'

The 6th fold is for where people's hearts lie. It is with their heart that they pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States Of America , and the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

The 7th fold is a tribute to its Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that they protect their country and their flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of their republic.

The 8th fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day.

The 9th fold is a tribute to womanhood, and Mothers. For it has been through their faith, their love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great has been molded.

The 10th fold is a tribute to the father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of their country since they were first born.

The 11th fold represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies in the Hebrews eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

The 12th fold represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in the Christians eyes, God the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit.

The 13th fold, or when the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost reminding them of their nations motto, 'In God We Trust.'

After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington, and the Sailors and Marines who served under Captain John Paul Jones, who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the United States, preserving for them the rights, privileges and freedoms they enjoy today.

There are some traditions and ways of doing things that have deep meaning.

In the future, you'll see flags folded and now you will know why.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Flag Draped Coffin

Post by JohnnyL »

Then they get buried in a military graveyard, where the words "God" and "Jesus Christ" are not allowed in the eulogy...

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

All of that great symbolism doesn;t mean that America has not become an arrogant nation. While I fully respect those of us who truly do defend our liberties, I have no respect for those who just as willingly obey orders that take away the rights of ourselves and other nation's citizens, and I most certainly hold in complete contempt those who recklessly send our brave men and women into "pre-emptive" aggressive and unjust wars that serve no purpose other than to defend financial interests who have laid claim to resources that lie beneath other nations soil, or to take control of drug trade in foreign lands that would be illegal in our own.

In other words, I am not going to get too emotionally worked up over symbolism that symbolizes largely dead principles in our nation. And my dad's casket was draped with that flag, and he received that 21 gun salute.

I'll always love and respect those principles, but I'll pass on any nationalistic fervor that this was supposed to engender.

Post by Like »

JohnnyL wrote:Then they get buried in a military graveyard, where the words "God" and "Jesus Christ" are not allowed in the eulogy...

Yeah what a slap in the face and a dishonorable final act to these soldiers, thank you for reminding us what an evil country the USA is......... it is a shame to me to see soldiers die for a country that stands for tyranny and force and calls it freedom and liberty and so many people believe it. Satan is certainly the father of all lies.

ldsfireguy
captain of 100

Post by ldsfireguy »

Last edited by ldsfireguy on August 5th, 2011, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tsc
captain of 100

Post by tsc »

Interesting responses - did you all actually read this? From your comments you did not. It is NOT about the evil that exists in our land, but rather about the good, in which we should continue to have hope. Look at the explanation of each fold in the flag, as they represent goodness and Godly things. I am amazed and shocked at how those who responded totally took this and tried to make it something that it was not.

Where is your faith and hope? Were we not placed here to experience joy and to be successful, and to be worthy to return home to Father in heaven?

Yes, times are tough. But we CANNOT and MUST NOT give up. Thoughts like this are influenced by the adversary.

Go back and listen to some of the last conference talks, were they about giving up? NO!

We must press forward, with steadfast faith in Christ, and continue to believe and know that this is still a choice land, preserved for a sacred purpose. Why does our prophet still build temples, do you think he is ready to give up? Do you teach your children to quit believing in the flag and what it stands for? Consider all of the patriotic hymns in our hymn books - have we been asked to not sing them?

Have faith, and keep going!!
tsc wrote:Meaning of Flag Draped Coffin

All Americans should be given this lesson. Those who think that America is an arrogant nation should really reconsider that thought. Our founding fathers used GOD's word and teachings to establish our Great Nation and I think it's high time Americans get re-educated about this Nation's history.

Pass it along and be proud of the country we live in and even more proud of those who serve to protect our 'GOD GIVEN' rights and freedoms.

I hope you take the time to read this ... To understand what the flag draped coffin really means ... Here is how to understand the flag that laid upon it and is surrendered to so many widows and widowers.

Do you know that at military funerals, the 21-gun salute stands for the sum of the numbers in the year 1776?

Have you ever noticed the honor guard pays meticulous attention to correctly folding the United States of America Flag 13 times? You probably thought it was to symbolize the original 13 colonies, but we learn something new every day!

The 1st fold of the flag is a symbol of life.

The 2ndfold is a symbol of the belief in eternal life.

The 3rd fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veterans departing the ranks who gave a portion of their lives for the defense of the country to attain peace throughout the world.

The 4th fold represents the weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in time of war for His divine guidance.

The 5th fold is a tribute to the country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, 'Our Country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong.'

The 6th fold is for where people's hearts lie. It is with their heart that they pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States Of America , and the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

The 7th fold is a tribute to its Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that they protect their country and their flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of their republic.

The 8th fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day.

The 9th fold is a tribute to womanhood, and Mothers. For it has been through their faith, their love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great has been molded.

The 10th fold is a tribute to the father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of their country since they were first born.

The 11th fold represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies in the Hebrews eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

The 12th fold represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in the Christians eyes, God the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit.

The 13th fold, or when the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost reminding them of their nations motto, 'In God We Trust.'

After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington, and the Sailors and Marines who served under Captain John Paul Jones, who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the United States, preserving for them the rights, privileges and freedoms they enjoy today.

There are some traditions and ways of doing things that have deep meaning.

In the future, you'll see flags folded and now you will know why.

ldsfireguy
captain of 100

Post by ldsfireguy »

Last edited by ldsfireguy on August 5th, 2011, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tsc
captain of 100

Post by tsc »

My oldest son is actually going into the Marines next summer, despite my wishes and encouragement otherwise.

I appreciate your responses, however, I believe you are still missing the point of the post.

For example, the 13th fold, what does it stand for?:

Nothing about the US - do you see where I was going with this? It was supposed to be about recognizing the religious and spiritual things in our lives, and was not meant to be a political statement.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

tsc wrote:My oldest son is actually going into the Marines next summer, despite my wishes and encouragement otherwise.

I appreciate your responses, however, I believe you are still missing the point of the post.

Nothing about the US - do you see where I was going with this? It was supposed to be about recognizing the religious and spiritual things in our lives, and was not meant to be a political statement.
Open contract or specified MOS???

Post by Like »

tsc wrote:My oldest son is actually going into the Marines next summer, despite my wishes and encouragement otherwise.

I can appreciate what you were trying to do.

God Bless :ymhug:

tsc
captain of 100

Post by tsc »

Jason wrote:Open contract or specified MOS???
5-year contract - makes me sad, and VERY nervous. Fortunately, he has done extremely well on all his tests, and is trying to get into the intelligence aspect of it. But, as are all Marines, he will still be trained for combat.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

tsc wrote:
5-year contract - makes me sad, and VERY nervous. Fortunately, he has done extremely well on all his tests, and is trying to get into the intelligence aspect of it. But, as are all Marines, he will still be trained for combat.
...the training is a good thing!!! Its the implementation of training as well as the lifestyle/environment that are the challenge. Lot of water to flow under the bridge between now and next summer though....

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Tsc, thank you. This board is really not a friendly place for this type of thing. I find it strange that many people do not separate the evil from the good. They like to lump everything together. You and I may see a soldier kiss his wife and kids goodbye and coming home in a flag draped coffin as a beautiful, heart wrenching, spiritual testament to sacrifice and love of countrymen. Others will only see the same soldier as a naive pawn who furthered an evil agenda. I don't get it and I never will.

Bless you and bless your son. I have known many soldiers and none of them do it for bureaucrats in Washington. They do it out of a sense of duty for their countrymen. That spirit of sacrifice and liberty is what the flag means to me. We fly old glory proudly at our home and we teach our sons the truth of what it stands for.

When Washington destroys this country, we will pick up the flag and start over again because Washington is not what it's about.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

ChelC wrote:Tsc, thank you. This board is really not a friendly place for this type of thing. I find it strange that many people do not separate the evil from the good. They like to lump everything together. You and I may see a soldier kiss his wife and kids goodbye and coming home in a flag draped coffin as a beautiful, heart wrenching, spiritual testament to sacrifice and love of countrymen. Others will only see the same soldier as a naive pawn who furthered an evil agenda. I don't get it and I never will.

Bless you and bless your son. I have known many soldiers and none of them do it for bureaucrats in Washington. They do it out of a sense of duty for their countrymen. That spirit of sacrifice and liberty is what the flag means to me. We fly old glory proudly at our home and we teach our sons the truth of what it stands for.

When Washington destroys this country, we will pick up the flag and start over again because Washington is not what it's about.
Do it for our buddies we're serving with....who cares about the spineless lumps of flesh back home!

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

ChelC wrote:Tsc, thank you. This board is really not a friendly place for this type of thing. I find it strange that many people do not separate the evil from the good. They like to lump everything together. You and I may see a soldier kiss his wife and kids goodbye and coming home in a flag draped coffin as a beautiful, heart wrenching, spiritual testament to sacrifice and love of countrymen. Others will only see the same soldier as a naive pawn who furthered an evil agenda. I don't get it and I never will.

Thank you ChelC for posting this :ymapplause:

tsc
captain of 100

Post by tsc »

HeirofNumenor wrote:

Thank you ChelC for posting this :ymapplause:
Yes, thank you

wiser2
captain of 10

Post by wiser2 »

Jason wrote:
tsc wrote:
...the training is a good thing!!! Its the implementation of training as well as the lifestyle/environment that are the challenge. Lot of water to flow under the bridge between now and next summer though....
Fortunately, I have not had to participate in the training. But, I have spoken with enough people to have a good idea. The training is not a good thing. Its purpose is to train a person to be a killer - to kill without thinking, even as the desired outcome, and to hate sufficiently to kill, to devalue people in order to allow the killing. It is also intended to brainwash/reprogram the mind so that the military/officer is the captain of the soul, not Jesus Christ, and not yourself. Its intent is to make you a killing slave. "good thing" is a severe mis-characterization.

The recruiters often make promises, that are abandoned as soon as the victim signs. I have heard military people talking amongst themselves, and they refer to marines as "bullet catchers". It would seem that the military's view of the purpose of the marines is to take the hits so the more important assets don't have to.

HeirofNumenor
the Heir Of Numenor

Post by HeirofNumenor »

Fortunately, I have not had to participate in the training. But, I have spoken with enough people to have a good idea. The training is not a good thing. Its purpose is to train a person to be a killer - to kill without thinking, even as the desired outcome, and to hate sufficiently to kill, to devalue people in order to allow the killing. It is also intended to brainwash/reprogram the mind so that the military/officer is the captain of the soul, not Jesus Christ, and not yourself. Its intent is to make you a killing slave. "good thing" is a severe mis-characterization.

The recruiters often make promises, that are abandoned as soon as the victim signs. I have heard military people talking amongst themselves, and they refer to marines as "bullet catchers". It would seem that the military's view of the purpose of the marines is to take the hits so the more important assets don't have to.
I have wondered why for the last two decades, anyone I met who had a military officer for a father - they ALL told me their dads told them to NOT join the military... STAY AWAY from it.
I know the Church requires Bishops to interview those thinking of joining, to let them know fully they are entering an extremely negative environment, and how to keep their spiritual safety.

I grew up wanting to be a Navy fighter pilot, flying F-14 Tomcats off of the USS Enterprise. My eyes didn't cooperate. As soon as I got off my mission in 1988, the defense dept and military levels began contracting and all through BYU force levels were falling (1989 Berlin Wall fell), so I couldn't go OCS in 92 because the USSR ceased to exist four months earlier.
9/11 hit and suddenly military began taking people and raised the age limit to 39 for officer candidates. The army recruiter tried to get me, even though I had back injuries. when I met with him again 2 months later - he told me not to bother as the army doctors would find my bad back and disqualify me. He was a nice family man with wife and 4 kids who lived in my stake in San Diego. 2 years later he was sent to Iraq and killed by a road-side bomb. After that, I had a VERY powerful confirmation that if I ever went into the military - I would be killed on duty. It was a very sobering realization.

My dad was Navy enlisted in WW2 and Korea. He really wanted us 3 boys to serve also. My oldest bro did Air Force, then AF reserve for 20 years. My next bro is finishing up what should be his last tour in the Coast Guard so he can retire at 30 years service.

And my nephew is a marine with a wife and two babies, currently serving in Afghanistan as an intelligence specialist assigned to an air wing...I hope he never has to board a chopper there...or leave the base for that matter, unless he is flying out on a jet transport (alive). he is set to come back in November.

And my niece's husband is an Army National Guard trying get into OCS - good kid but more gung-ho about the virtues of the military's mission. Supposedly he is also going into army intelligence/linguistics. And his wife is set to have their 1st baby this month.
Last edited by HeirofNumenor on August 14th, 2011, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M249Gunner
captain of 100

Post by M249Gunner »

Talking to some people won't give you a good idea of what the training is. You have to do it to know. Sure, one is taught to kill because you have to kill in order to survive in combat. Surviving is a good thing. The training also instills endurance, discipline, and a lot of skills that could be very useful in our nations future. Though I agree that the wars currently being fought are not in our nations best interest and our military is being used as pawns.

wolfman
captain of 100

Post by wolfman »

O.I took the words right out of my mouth. No disrespect intended. I can relate as I served in the Marine corps myself and am an Iraq veteran. The current state of affairs that we find ourselves in as a nation doesn't even resemble what our founding fathers envisioned. In fact we are now in direct opposition to their inspired council and are precisely where they warned us never to go as a nation. Please read Helaman Chapter 5 vs 2-3 and The 5,000 Year Leap. I personally don't see any symbolism with the number of the folds. I do with the colors, number of stars and stripes but not the folds. http://www.snopes.com/military/flagfold.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as you son he's welcome to PM any questions about his training. He MUST understand before hand that the training is designed to be more mentally challenging than physical. Tell him not to take anything too serious. They will constantly be playing mind games with him for 3 months in boot camp, several weeks into training they will tell him they are going to immediatly send him out to the front lines (which is a blatant lie designed to create stress) because of new mission demands etc. Every other night his sleep will be interupted for an hour, he must not allow himself to fall victim of their false induced stress.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

wiser2 wrote:
Jason wrote:Fortunately, I have not had to participate in the training. But, I have spoken with enough people to have a good idea. The training is not a good thing. Its purpose is to train a person to be a killer - to kill without thinking, even as the desired outcome, and to hate sufficiently to kill, to devalue people in order to allow the killing. It is also intended to brainwash/reprogram the mind so that the military/officer is the captain of the soul, not Jesus Christ, and not yourself. Its intent is to make you a killing slave. "good thing" is a severe mis-characterization.

Agree to disagree. Sure there's lots of propaganda and thought framing....but ultimately one is empowered with skills (and while its of influence - individuals are still in charge of their destiny). The Marines have been doing that with the greatest degree of success for quite some time now. Yes they are lied to, yes they catch some bullets, and yes they live in a dictatorship so Americans can thrash the Republic.....but at the end of the day....I'll take a Marine in my foxhole over anyone else!!!

Obviously you've never served....or your opinion would be a bit different. Got a kick out of the officer comment....should have seen some of the cartoon books guys came up with mocking officers and the situations we were in. Vast majority of the time they were referred to as pricks (putting it nicely)....in Desert Storm I some buddies took a micromanagement officer and tied him to his cot in his sleeping bag with cargo straps....took him out in the desert and left him....luckily someone found him 24 hrs later and he managed to survive the ordeal....different dude after that though.

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

HeirofNumenor wrote:

I have wondered why for the last two decades, anyone I met who had a military officer for a father - they ALL told me their dads told them to NOT join the military... STAY AWAY from it.
I know the Church requires Bishops to interview those thinking of joining, to let them know fully they are entering an extremely negative environment, and how to keep their spiritual safety.

I grew up wanting to be a Navy fighter pilot, flying F-14 Tomcats off of the USS Enterprise. My eyes didn't cooperate. As soon as I got off my mission in 1988, the defense dept and military levels began contracting and all through BYU force levels were falling (1989 Berlin Wall fell), so I couldn't go OCS in 92 because the USSR ceased to exist four months earlier.
9/11 hit and suddenly military began taking people and raised the age limit to 39 for officer candidates. The army recruiter tried to get me, even though I had back injuries. when I met with him again 2 months later - he told me not to bother as the army doctors would find my bad back and disqualify me. He was a nice family man with wife and 4 kids who lived in my stake in San Diego. 2 years later he was sent to Iraq and killed by a road-side bomb. After that, I had a VERY powerful confirmation that if I ever went into the military - I would be killed on duty. It was a very sobering realization.

My dad was Navy enlisted in WW2 and Korea. He really wanted us 3 boys to serve also. My oldest bro did Air Force, then AF reserve for 20 years. My next bro is finishing up what should be his last tour in the Coast Guard so he can retire at 30 years service.

And my nephew is a marine with a wife and two babies, currently serving in Afghanistan as an intelligence specialist assigned to an air wing...I hope he never has to board a chopper there...or leave the base for that matter, unless he is flying out on a jet transport (alive). he is set to come back in November.

And my niece's husband is an Army National Guard trying get into OCS - good kid but more gung-ho about the virtues of the military's mission. Supposedly he is also going into army intelligence/linguistics. And his wife is set to have their 1st baby this month.
....speaking of landing choppers -
http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/8911239/75 ... imites.wmv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

wolfman wrote:O.I took the words right out of my mouth. No disrespect intended. I can relate as I served in the Marine corps myself and am an Iraq veteran. The current state of affairs that we find ourselves in as a nation doesn't even resemble what our founding fathers envisioned. In fact we are now in direct opposition to their inspired council and are precisely where they warned us never to go as a nation. Please read Helaman Chapter 5 vs 2-3 and The 5,000 Year Leap. I personally don't see any symbolism with the number of the folds. I do with the colors, number of stars and stripes but not the folds. http://www.snopes.com/military/flagfold.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as you son he's welcome to PM any questions about his training. He MUST understand before hand that the training is designed to be more mentally challenging than physical. Tell him not to take anything too serious. They will constantly be playing mind games with him for 3 months in boot camp, several weeks into training they will tell him they are going to immediatly send him out to the front lines (which is a blatant lie designed to create stress) because of new mission demands etc. Every other night his sleep will be interupted for an hour, he must not allow himself to fall victim of their false induced stress.
....turn off the hot water to the DI hut....good for some laughs! Just don't let them figure out who did it....and enjoy getting bent!