Gospel Topics from a Woman's perspective

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...
oddette
Hi, I'm new.

Gospel Topics from a Woman's perspective

Post by oddette »

Hey! I didn't know this place existed so I shared this else where. I'm glad to have found a woman's group! Some friends and I are writing about our paths to Christ. All the authors of our blog are women. And we hope to help other women as they seek the face of the Savior as well.

http://www.heavenlydaughters.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Re: Gospel Topics from a Woman's perspective

Post by gardener4life »

I've been wanting to ask the sisters this...this might be a good place.

Elders have to have the priesthood to get their endowment right? First they get Melchizedek priesthood...then get the endowment and garments etc...but is it the same for the sisters? If sisters weren't going on missions and not married would they be able to have the endowment? What I mean by asking this...I'm trying to figure out how well connected and different the Melchizedek Priesthood and the Endowment are if they makes sense, and how separate?

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

gardener4life wrote: July 19th, 2017, 5:50 pm I've been wanting to ask the sisters this...this might be a good place.

Elders have to have the priesthood to get their endowment right? First they get Melchizedek priesthood...then get the endowment and garments etc...but is it the same for the sisters? If sisters weren't going on missions and not married would they be able to have the endowment? What I mean by asking this...I'm trying to figure out how well connected and different the Melchizedek Priesthood and the Endowment are if they makes sense, and how separate?
Yes, the men have to be ordained an elder to receive their endowment, but a woman just needs to feel she is spiritually ready. For many now that means mission or marriage, but I know quite a few sisters who have done neither who have been. It's just up to them, Bishop, and stake president of they are ready to make those covenants.
I'll have to ask my husband's take on temple and priesthood. I can't believe I never thought about their connection before. Interesting!

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

gardener4life wrote: July 19th, 2017, 5:50 pm I've been wanting to ask the sisters this...this might be a good place.

I understand it use to be more common for women to go when they felt ready, regardless of mission or marriage.

But when my sister who is older and single went through they were just changing the recommendations. She did get hers, but I can see why they prefer a woman to wait because one part of the ceremony has to be redone if she marries after she gets her endowments (or in my case a second marriage with the first sealing cancelled.)

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

Sisters will get endowments done before they go on a mission but otherwise it is often advised that they wait until they are getting married. I asked for mine at age 19 and was denied. I'm glad I was denied because I was not ready even though I thought i was.

As far as the priesthood being able to get endowed WITHOUT going on a mission, I do not know.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

The policy may have been different in the past--I wouldn't know. But currently, at least, there's no distinction in the Handbook between men and women as far as when they can get their endowments without mission/marriage. The guidance is really just about spiritual maturity (and men must hold the Melchizedek priesthood), and it's up to the bishop and stake president to determine that. It specifically says not to use routine criteria such as age or whether they're leaving home for college or work, etc.

My feeling is if someone isn't mature enough to get their endowments, they're not mature enough to get married or go on a mission, either. But I think we often do it backwards in the church. We have no qualms about sending an immature man on a mission to help him grow up--which means endowment, of course--but when a woman wants to go to the temple just because she wants to, we all of a sudden start worrying about her maturity.

We generally assume that the men will be serving missions, and that's when they'll receive their endowment, but there can be cases when a man would not serve a mission, but that wouldn't necessarily preclude them from the endowment.

aspietroll
captain of 50

Post by aspietroll »

h_p wrote: July 31st, 2017, 10:39 am The guidance is really just about spiritual maturity (and men must hold the Melchizedek priesthood), and it's up to the bishop and stake president to determine that. It specifically says not to use routine criteria such as age or whether they're leaving home for college or work, etc.

We have no qualms about sending an immature man on a mission to help him grow up--which means endowment, of course--but when a woman wants to go to the temple just because she wants to, we all of a sudden start worrying about her maturity.
This post makes me all the more convinced to have nothing to do with the LDS. Not that I disagree with anything you say but the fact that I had dated a girl that in no way was she ready for an endowment if it's about maturity, or being near marriage. Maybe she got endowed because she got engaged in less than a year of rejoining the church to someone she'd been with a short time. She dated me when I'm at an age where marriage is way, waaay down the list of things I want to do, and apparently her"endowment" is a code word for she thinks it's ok to talk about marriage within a month of dating. Your fashionable singles wards are notorious at promoting that. The one I went to a few times was also endowing girls that lived by LDS rules for a year and happened to be 20+. Maybe the reason boys don't convert as often and are leaving the church more often is that at 22 when they're on the path to doing what they want to do with the rest of their life, they don't want to go on a mission for two years in Colombia and be cut off from tv, music and all literature that's not scripture the whole time.

They don't want to do this just to get to get endowed, so they can get Temple married to girls that got endowed because they did nothing but felt good spiritually. The thing about endowments is that they shouldn't just be passed out like hot cakes. Which is how they're being thrown out to girls and probably boys too.