New Research Reveals: Women Who Go to Church Are Less Likely to Commit Suicide

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...
kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

New Research Reveals: Women Who Go to Church Are Less Likely to Commit Suicide

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Just stopping by for thirty seconds to post some news, may God bless our sisters!http://www.ldsliving.com/New-Research-R ... ampaign=mr

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: New Research Reveals: Women Who Go to Church Are Less Likely to Commit Suicide

Post by Elizabeth »

Why just women? Why not anyone who goes to Church?

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Re: New Research Reveals: Women Who Go to Church Are Less Likely to Commit Suicide

Post by Sirocco »

Elizabeth wrote:Why just women? Why not anyone who goes to Church?
Because I think men in some ways are happier as they have less responsibilities in the world.
I also think church speaks to men differently then women, treats them differently and they take different things from it.
Like example, with the hook up culture we have, women are far unhappier then they were 30-40 years ago, church brings them that old style culture back that old style respect back.
They get the respect a lot want back, feminism opened pandora's box without taking into account to how men would react, and they've reacted by embracing hook up culture and refusing to commit as they have no need to anymore.
Men don't want those old style ideas back, in many ways, because they loose where as women, I would say win.
At least that's my opinion on that.
Look at the membership numbers on men vs women in the LDS church.

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

With respect to the article in the OP, it's about women.
Of course we want all people to be blessed by attending church services of any kind. I'm sure church is good for men too. More men commit suicide than women but the rate of female suicide worldwide is increasing at an alarming rate. Again....this is worldwide!

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

http://religionnews.com/2015/09/03/are- ... n-screwed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The uglier side of the gap in the church.
It was even in the ward I went to, but that was a smaller town, there were no one there 18-30 save myself and Missionaries though.

Chamberlain
captain of 10

Post by Chamberlain »

Sirocco wrote:
Because I think men in some ways are happier as they have less responsibilities in the world.
I also think church speaks to men differently then women, treats them differently and they take different things from it.
Like example, with the hook up culture we have, women are far unhappier then they were 30-40 years ago, church brings them that old style culture back that old style respect back.
They get the respect a lot want back, feminism opened pandora's box without taking into account to how men would react, and they've reacted by embracing hook up culture and refusing to commit as they have no need to anymore.
Men don't want those old style ideas back, in many ways, because they loose where as women, I would say win.
At least that's my opinion on that.
Look at the membership numbers on men vs women in the LDS church.
I disagree, Men are not more happy in general... 3.5x more likely to commit suicide than women.http://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/ In church culture I would say most Men want a prominent sense of morality in the world, which is looked at as an 'old syle, or idea'.
I would say feminism has definitely been a double edged sword, especially now that modern feminism it is more about 'special rights' for women than equal rights.

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Yeah though studies show women are starting to be more, generally unhappy as men, as I noted hook up culture has been a disaster for women (and a huge success for many men, in a sense).
Though it was women who wanted it they mistook the future, I guess assuming men would still treat them with chivalry and let them sleep with whomever.
Doesn't work that way, you put the hook up attitude out there and it's all you're going to receive.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

:) For some reason, this study did focus on women. That's why I posted it here. I'm sure the same is true with men, and children. I am sixty years old, I know that living the gospel can be a struggle and a battle. I also know that the Lord will help us overcome bad habits and things contrary to the gospel. I know that in that struggle, we will be tried to our very core. I have been through many battles that if I explained in detail, many on the forum would cry. I suspect that the same is true if many of you, or all of you, were to post on your lives.
Let me leave you with an interesting quote that has helped me as I think about how tough things get. Stand Fast Through the Storms of Life.
"You will have all kinds of trials to pass through. And it is quite as necessary for you to be tried as it was for Abraham and other men of God... God will feel after you, and He will take hold of you and wrench your very heart strings and if you cannot stand it you will not be fit for an inheritance in the Celestial kingdom of God" -John Taylor recalls the words of Joseph Smith to the Twelve. JS manual page 231"
Ten million years from now the faithful, in a state of endless happiness will still in heaven remember the difficulty of the trials we have passed through, and smile at the end result as we enjoy the presence of the Lord. That is quote from me, hope you feel the Lord's love with you. I know he is there, I have paid a price for that knowledge, it has been well worth it, and I have earned every wrinkle. :)

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Chamberlain wrote:I disagree, Men are not more happy in general... 3.5x more likely to commit suicide than women.
And I disagree with your disagreement. I think men are generally happier than women, but suicide is not always tied to happiness. Women tend to be more complex, men are more simple. However, I think a lot of men take failure or weakness harder, thus the suicide statistic. Women are also more likely to seek help. For many men, looking for help is like asking for directions. It's an assault on our manhood.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

However, there are certainly valid reasons for men having a shorter life span than women...
a1.jpg
a1.jpg (58.58 KiB) Viewed 4353 times
a2.jpg
a2.jpg (37.54 KiB) Viewed 4353 times
a3.jpg
a3.jpg (68.37 KiB) Viewed 4353 times

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

a4.jpg
a4.jpg (78.89 KiB) Viewed 4353 times
a5.jpg
a5.jpg (54.27 KiB) Viewed 4353 times

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

a6.jpg
a6.jpg (187.32 KiB) Viewed 4353 times
a7.jpg
a7.jpg (62.35 KiB) Viewed 4353 times