Questioning my Garments

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...
suburbanism
captain of 10

Re: Questioning my Garments

Post by suburbanism »

Why wear the garment with blind obedience as the only motivator? A person has the right to figure things out for themselves, and that journey might require wearing garments or not. Reading this whole thread, and the last comments from freedomforall (unfortunately those scripture soundbites didn't do it for me because, absent of context, i take them a different way than you probably intended), I am thinking that garments spotted with mud or whatever might be totally symbolic. If our garments are to be made white through the blood of christ, that is not a literal thing where we are talking about the actual garments you are wearing right now. That would be a symbolic thing. As with all of the symbolic stuff, if you get to a certain point of understanding, you dont need to deal in symbolism as much because you have the direct knowledge. Also (and I know some people will freak out over this one) I see the whole church that way. Take part in it and learn from it. If you are progressing correctly there will be a time where you grow out of, or grow beyond the church. So maybe garments work the same way. These are just the thoughts that have come to me while pondering this thread.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

How does someone "outgrow" the Church? Do you honestly think that you have progressed to the point that you can bypass it and the temples and covenants? How, then do you serve the Lord? Is it all about you or is it about others?

Sister_Sarah
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Sister_Sarah »

What does the Bible say about wearing garments? When I think of Christ, my first thought is of Romans 3:9-11, "...There is no righteous person, not even one." When we get to Heaven, Christ won't be worried about men's rules about wearing garments. He is only concerned about our hearts.

(((hugs))) :)

Luthien
captain of 10

Post by Luthien »

"Question your doubts before you question your faith.."
Keep wearing them while on this little journey :)

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

kathyn wrote:How does someone "outgrow" the Church? Do you honestly think that you have progressed to the point that you can bypass it and the temples and covenants? How, then do you serve the Lord? Is it all about you or is it about others?
By growing... :)
Maybe she has.
Serving people, how do you?
It's all about us, and the Lord.

Steve Clark
captain of 1,000

Post by Steve Clark »

kathyn wrote:How does someone "outgrow" the Church? Do you honestly think that you have progressed to the point that you can bypass it and the temples and covenants? How, then do you serve the Lord? Is it all about you or is it about others?
From first-hand accounts of heavenly beings, it doesn't appear that they wear temple garments. Have they outgrown their temple covenants to wear them?

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

suburbanism wrote:Why wear the garment with blind obedience as the only motivator? A person has the right to figure things out for themselves, and that journey might require wearing garments or not. Reading this whole thread, and the last comments from freedomforall (unfortunately those scripture soundbites didn't do it for me because, absent of context, i take them a different way than you probably intended), I am thinking that garments spotted with mud or whatever might be totally symbolic. If our garments are to be made white through the blood of christ, that is not a literal thing where we are talking about the actual garments you are wearing right now. That would be a symbolic thing. As with all of the symbolic stuff, if you get to a certain point of understanding, you dont need to deal in symbolism as much because you have the direct knowledge. Also (and I know some people will freak out over this one) I see the whole church that way. Take part in it and learn from it. If you are progressing correctly there will be a time where you grow out of, or grow beyond the church. So maybe garments work the same way. These are just the thoughts that have come to me while pondering this thread.
The real problem to begin with is your assumption that people wear garments out of blind obedience. What are your sources for this conclusion?
The fact is that people wear garments because they made covenants with the Lord and intend on keeping those covenants. Would you rather they lie to God. You think garments should only be worn when the wearer only feels like it?
Additionally, people are promised, promised certain things by being obedient in wearing them. Would you rather they break those covenants whenever they feel like it?
Don't we read that God calls his people "a covenant" people? Why would he do that?
Members never, ever, ever, outgrow he church, period. It is Christ's church. Why do you think God restored to earth the very church Christ organized during his ministry? The same church that provides all covenants, ordinances, blessings and all other necessary things required for exaltation? And then after teaching his gospel and doing many mighty miracles and calling twelve disciples was later killed for his church and teachings? Why would Christ have gone through so much mocking, ridicule, demeaning treatment, and utter torture for us, just so we can go about doing whatever we want under the guise of being faithful? And why was Joseph Smith killed for teaching the same gospel Christ taught. Why did Moroni, Peter, James and John come to Joseph Smith instead of some apostate?
No one outgrows the church of Jesus Christ. Did Christ, Moroni, Paul, Lehi, Alma, Abinidi, Nephi, Amulek, Zeezrom, Ammon, Sam, and many others in the Book of Mormon and Bible outgrow Christ's own church? The same Christ that has all his sheep numbered, sheep that will hear when their name is called, the same sheep that by being faithful and obedient will someday receive their calling and election because they were steadfast and immovable in keeping their covenants and keeping God's commandments through faith, not blind obedience. Is the requirements of faith, hope and charity, virtue, humility and righteous living learned and practiced only through blind obedience, or faithfulness and real intent?
True believers are counseled to abhor sin, to stand for Christ at all times, in all things and in all places unto death if need be. Would blind obedience count?

Mosiah 18:9
9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—

FSM
captain of 100

Post by FSM »

Ms Lane is truly a sincere person. I for one support and am willing to take a beating to defend her right to choose. There are some pretty assume people on this forum that supported me. They are part of the reason I'm still hear.
Last edited by FSM on January 7th, 2015, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FSM
captain of 100

Post by FSM »

jbalm wrote:Honestly, your underwear is nobody else's business.

(I wanted to say, in response to the title of this thread, "what did you ask them?"...but it's your first post.)
Just a heads up Ms. Lane jbalm"s cool..:)

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

^^^ one of the top 5 posts of 2014.

Jake
Videre faciem Dei

Post by Jake »

Obrien wrote:^^^ one of the top 5 posts of 2014.
Except this is 2015.

Obrien
Up, up and away.

Post by Obrien »

yes, it is. I was reminiscing about great 2014 posts. another great one is Ajax new twist on the song hold to the rod. The BEST item on LDSFF last year was a pm I got about a child and a glass of water, but that's sacred.

John Tavner
captain of 1,000

Post by John Tavner »

ithink wrote: June 17th, 2014, 9:36 am
ajax wrote:Hyrcanus / ithink,

Can you post some quotes from the sources you mentioned?
I already gave a couple, but if you refer to Marks, then you are looking for this:

William Marks, Nauvoo Stake President from 1839 to Joseph's martyrdom, stated the following:
“About the first of June, 1844 (situated as I was at that time, being the Presiding Elder of the Stake at Nauvoo, and by appointment the Presiding Officer of the High Council), I had a very good opportunity to know the affairs of the Church, and my convictions at that time were, that the Church in a great measure had departed from the pure principles and doctrines of Jesus Christ. I felt much troubled in mind about the condition of the Church. I prayed earnestly to my Heavenly Father to show me something in regard to it, when I was wrapt in vision, and it was shown me by the Spirit, that the top or branches had overcome the root, in sin and wickedness, and the only way to cleanse and purify it was, to disorganize it, and in due time, the Lord would reorganize it again. There were many things suggested to my mind, but the lapse of time has erased them from my memory. A few days after this occurrence I met with Brother Joseph. He said that he wanted to converse with me on the affairs of the church, and we retired by ourselves. I will give his words verbatim, for they are indelibly stamped upon my mind. He said he had desired for a long time to have a talk with me on the subject of polygamy. He said it eventually would prove the overthrow of the church, and we should soon be obliged to leave the United States, unless it could be speedily put down. He was satisfied that it was a cursed doctrine, and that there must be every exertion made to put it down. He said that he would go before the congregation and proclaim against it, and I must go into the High Council, and he would prefer charges against those in transgression, and I must sever them from the church, unless they made ample satisfaction. There was much more said, but this was the substance. The mob commenced to gather about Carthage in a few days after, therefore there was nothing done concerning it. After the Prophet’s death, I made mention of this conversation to several, hoping and believing that it would have a good effect; but to my great disappointment, it was soon rumoured about that Brother ­Marks was about to apostatize, and that all that he said about the conversation with the Prophet was a tissue of lies.”William Marks, Nauvoo Stake Pres., True Latter Days Saints Herald, Oct. 23,1859, 25-26

“During my administration in the Church [at Nauvoo] I saw and heard of many things that were practiced and taught that I did not believe to be of God…. Therefore when the doctrine of polygamy was introduced into the Church as a principle of exaltation, I took a decided stand against it; which stand rendered me quite unpopular with many of the leading ones of the church. I was also witness of the introduction (secretly) of a kingly form of government, in which Joseph suffered himself to be ordained a king, to reign over the house of Israel forever…. Joseph, however, became convinced before his death that he had done wrong; for about three weeks before his death, I met him one morning in the street, and he said to me, ‘Brother Marks, I have something to communicate to you.’ We retired to a by place, and sat down together, when he said: ‘We are a ruined people.’ I asked how so? He said: ‘This doctrine of polygamy, or spiritual wife system, that has been taught and practiced among us, will prove our destruction and overthrow. I have been deceived,' said he, 'in reference to its practice; it is wrong; it is a curse to mankind, and we shall have to leave the United States soon, unless it can be put down, and its practice stopped in the Church.’ ” William Marks, Zion's Harbinger and Baneemy's Organ, Vol. 3:52-53, July 1853
You know I was thinking that IF Mark's quote is true, it may have meant that Joseph was deceived by some of his closest associates. Marks was correct it was in reference to it's practice, but I truly believe he meant by some of his closest associates he was deceived.Though, to be fair, I don't believe an Angel of Light appeared unto him to command him to practice polygamy. If anything it was an angel of darkness. Furthermore, Like Moses stated "where is thy glory that I should worship thee" (paraprhased). Once one has seen a true angel of light, or the Father and the Son, I have no doubt it is fairly simple to distinguish between the Glory of God and the glory of Satan. Anyways, just a few thoughts if you are still around.

Vomega
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Vomega »

I am going to suggest something different than everyone else here. I think it is perfectly OK to take a break from church and your worship routine We know it is healthy to have balance in life and also to take personal time for yourself. That can include taking a break from religion. The church will be there when you come back. See this as an opportunity to reflect and learn more about yourself. I took a month break and it helped clear my mind and see things from a new perspective and in a much clearer light. Good luck!

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

In the Old Testament (OT), there were 12 tribes. Of all the 12 tribes, only 1 tribe (Levi) was assigned to serve in the temple. Now all the tribes benefited from the temple blessings, but only the tribe of Levi officiated in the temple. As part of their divine assignment to serve in the temple, they were to 1. marry among their own people, 2. not drink wine or strong drink 3. wear the temple garments. (Levites were prohibited from drinking wine)

Jesus was not a Levite but was from the tribe of Judah and both created and drank wine in moderation. But for Levites, God called them to a higher order of strictness. It seemed the strictness (holiness) was to call attention to the importance of the temple. But while the other 11 tribes could drink wine and weren't expected to wear the garment, all the tribes benefited from the service of the Levites in the temple on their behalf.

Today, we don't have tribes, but Christian denominations. Only 1 denomination has been assigned to serve in the temple, and as part of that temple service, LDS are expected to live a higher level of strictness like the Levites in the OT. Drinking wine in moderation is not a sin, but abstaining from wine, and being modest in our dress does more to advertise to our other Christian brothers and sisters the eternal importance of the House of the Lord.

Serving in the temple does not make LDS better than other Christians. But because we have been given the temple, LDS are obligated to observe the rules of temple holiness that pertain to the House of the Lord as one an Ambassador of Heaven. The temple being an embassy of the Celestial Kingdom on Earth. And the labors we perform in the temple do not just benefit us, but will benefit the whole House of Israel and whole human family.

Cruiserdude
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Cruiserdude »

davedan wrote: February 19th, 2021, 4:41 am In the Old Testament (OT), there were 12 tribes. Of all the 12 tribes, only 1 tribe (Levi) was assigned to serve in the temple. Now all the tribes benefited from the temple blessings, but only the tribe of Levi officiated in the temple. As part of their divine assignment to serve in the temple, they were to 1. marry among their own people, 2. not drink wine or strong drink 3. wear the temple garments. (Levites were prohibited from drinking wine)

Jesus was not a Levite but was from the tribe of Judah and both created and drank wine in moderation. But for Levites, God called them to a higher order of strictness. It seemed the strictness (holiness) was to call attention to the importance of the temple. But while the other 11 tribes could drink wine and weren't expected to wear the garment, all the tribes benefited from the service of the Levites in the temple on their behalf.

Today, we don't have tribes, but Christian denominations. Only 1 denomination has been assigned to serve in the temple, and as part of that temple service, LDS are expected to live a higher level of strictness like the Levites in the OT. Drinking wine in moderation is not a sin, but abstaining from wine, and being modest in our dress does more to advertise to our other Christian brothers and sisters the eternal importance of the House of the Lord.

Serving in the temple does not make LDS better than other Christians. But because we have been given the temple, LDS are obligated to observe the rules of temple holiness that pertain to the House of the Lord as one an Ambassador of Heaven. The temple being an embassy of the Celestial Kingdom on Earth. And the labors we perform in the temple do not just benefit us, but will benefit the whole House of Israel and whole human family.
This is the only post I've read so far in the thread but what a great analogy.
It could be viewed that we have a great GREAT responsibility that comes from proclaiming this blessing...
Awesome perspective mate😇

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

davedan wrote: February 19th, 2021, 4:41 am In the Old Testament (OT), there were 12 tribes. Of all the 12 tribes, only 1 tribe (Levi) was assigned to serve in the temple. Now all the tribes benefited from the temple blessings, but only the tribe of Levi officiated in the temple. As part of their divine assignment to serve in the temple, they were to 1. marry among their own people, 2. not drink wine or strong drink 3. wear the temple garments. (Levites were prohibited from drinking wine)

This is excellent.
Thank you.

zionssuburb
captain of 100

Post by zionssuburb »

Sister_Sarah wrote: January 2nd, 2015, 5:09 pm What does the Bible say about wearing garments? When I think of Christ, my first thought is of Romans 3:9-11, "...There is no righteous person, not even one." When we get to Heaven, Christ won't be worried about men's rules about wearing garments. He is only concerned about our hearts.

(((hugs))) :)
Jesus had those who failed to dress correctly for the wedding feast thrown out, that's what I remember being said in the Bible.

DesertWonderer2
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer2 »

Thenext opportunity I have, I will quote this in a talk / 5 th Sunday lesson, etc...

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

You live a higher order of strictness/holiness than Jesus?

Edit: who said we don't have tribes today?
Last edited by nightlight on February 19th, 2021, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

4Joshua8
captain of 1,000

Post by 4Joshua8 »

Today, we don't have tribes, but Christian denominations. Only 1 denomination has been assigned to serve in the temple, and as part of that temple service, LDS are expected to live a higher level of strictness like the Levites in the OT. Drinking wine in moderation is not a sin (amen), but abstaining from wine, and being modest in our dress does more to advertise to our other Christian brothers and sisters the eternal importance of the House of the Lord. (note that being immodest in our dress is a sin, not just inconvenient to our examples)

There's a reason for the "do not drink wine or strong drink," and it has less to do with wine and more to do with drunkenness, which is why God said we (people he knew would have temples) can drink wine of our own make and mild drinks, including commanding us to partake of the bread and wine in remembrance of the Lord.

Commanding Levites to abstain isn't about wine itself making one unholy, it's about drunkenness and its unholy effects and behaviors.

We can make our own wine and drink new wine with low alcohol content, using moderation (as you said above) and contentment principles. If fermentation goes on too long before consuming the wine, we can apply it to sacraments where less is consumed (avoiding drunkenness) or repurpose it.

Wine will again be used by us in coming times.

The greater context of God's words pertaining to wine/alcohol leaves me with little doubt that the point isn't the wine, it's the absence of moderation and contentment in using it, which leads to drunkenness, causing hard-to-heal damage to the body, and unholy behavior, which makes us unholy.

Strong drink (liquor) is wrong because its design is drunkenness. That's why it exists. It's extremely difficult to use moderation with liquor. It's just made to get you drunk.

Also, we still have tribes. And that will become more clear than ever in coming times. We're astray, which is why we don't realize it. We're supposed to be gathering to our tribes, but we don't understand how to gather or whom we're supposed to gather and to where. We think we're gathering Israel, but we're just gathering Gentiles to what we believe are the covenants pertaining to Israel. The tribes will come into view soon enough.

And with the modesty thing, unfortunately our temple garments have almost nothing to do with that anymore, as you can dress very immodestly even without revealing the garment because of current immodest garment styles. They're just Babylon underwear with fancy markings now. I'm not saying those marks and our commitments toward the garments are unimportant, but our constant capitulation to Babylon has all but removed any hint of modesty about the garment. I know that Celestial beings feel our garments don't help us much with modesty in dress anymore. So must early saints who lived in times where modesty still mattered to people.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

nightlight
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by nightlight »

I hear Mormons going on and on about the saving they do in the temple and how they bless the world in their buildings....yet the outside world sits in Darkness. The living are lost and yet we turn our eye to buildings and the dead. Alam went out into the world , Jesus went out into the world.... Mormons work in buildings.

47But Solomon built him an house. 48Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,

49Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?

50Hath not my hand made all these things?

51Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye. 52Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers: 53Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have not kept it.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

nightlight wrote: February 19th, 2021, 11:08 am I hear Mormons going on and on about the saving they do in the temple and how they bless the world in their buildings....yet the outside world sits in Darkness. The living are lost and yet we turn our eye to buildings and the dead. Alam went out into the world , Jesus went out into the world.... Mormons work in buildings.

47But Solomon built him an house. 48Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,

49Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?

51Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye. 52Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which shewed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers: 53Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have not kept it.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

nightlight wrote: February 19th, 2021, 11:08 am I hear Mormons going on and on about the saving they do in the temple and how they bless the world in their buildings....yet the outside world sits in Darkness. The living are lost and yet we turn our eye to buildings and the dead. Alam went out into the world , Jesus went out into the world.... Mormons work in buildings.