Question about garments-Ladies only please

A place for conservative women to discuss true women's liberation, the role of women in healing America, the truth about feminism and more...

Bra under or over?

Under
26%
Over
74%

Total votes: 93
SwissMrs&Pitchfire
Level 34 Illuminated

Question about garments-Ladies only please

Post by SwissMrs&Pitchfire »

Being a private person and coming from a poor home life, I naturally asked my friend about proper wearing of the garment top and a brassiere when such a time came, but after a recent discussion I have begun to think more about whether it is proper to wear a brassiere under or over the garment top? Honestly it seems it should just be incorporated into the top, but alas...

So which and why?

PSCahill
captain of 100

Re: Question about garments-Ladies only please

Post by PSCahill »

I was told at Q/A small meeting at the L.A. Temple in 1980, to wear the garment next to the skin, and the bra on the outside. I always have.

Songbird
captain of 1,000

Post by Songbird »

For some reason your poll submit button is not working. Over for the same reason mentioned above.

kathyn
captain of 1,000

Post by kathyn »

I've always worn my bra over the garment, The garment goes on first, as I was taught when I went through the temple for the first time.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Same here. I was told to wear the garment next to the skin.

momto5
captain of 50

Post by momto5 »

I wore my bra on top until I had kids (so for the first year of using garments). It was always difficult for nursing purposes and using nursing pads. I was getting annoyed to the point of wishing I didn't have to wear them. Thankfully it was just a fleeting thought. So I wear my bra underneath since I'm still nursing and such. I'll have to look for some talks on the subject.
http://lds.org/ensign/1997/08/the-templ ... t?lang=eng

And in a letter to priesthood leaders dated 10 October 1988, the First Presidency made the following important statements regarding how the garment should be worn: “Church members who have been clothed with the garment in the temple have made a covenant to wear it throughout their lives. This has been interpreted to mean that it is worn as underclothing both day and night. This sacred covenant is between the member and the Lord. Members should seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit to answer for themselves any personal questions about the wearing of the garment. … The promise of protection and blessings is conditioned upon worthiness and faithfulness in keeping the covenant.

“The fundamental principle ought to be to wear the garment and not to find occasions to remove it. Thus, members should not remove either all or part of the garment to work in the yard or to lounge around the home in swimwear or immodest clothing. Nor should they remove it to participate in recreational activities that can reasonably be done with the garment worn properly beneath regular clothing. When the garment must be removed, such as for swimming, it should be restored as soon as possible.
Last edited by momto5 on January 4th, 2011, 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

momto5 wrote:I wore my bra on top until I had kids (so for the first year of using garments). It was always difficult for nursing purposes and using nursing pads. I was getting annoyed to the point of wishing I didn't have to wear them. Thankfully it was just a fleeting thought. So I wear my bra underneath since I'm still nursing and such. I'll have to look for some talks on the subject.
I could see how that would be hard... I'd probably do the same as you in that situation. Unfortunately for me, nursing didn't work out, but I imagine it would be annoying with nursing pads to say the least.

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

As everyone has said, you wear your garments next to your skin. By the way, they have garments specially for nursing mothers that should solve that problem.

momto5
captain of 50

Post by momto5 »

natasha wrote:As everyone has said, you wear your garments next to your skin. By the way, they have garments specially for nursing mothers that should solve that problem.
I used those for the first few kids. It was very hard trying to be discreet in the Mother's Lounge since it took two hands to pull my self back together and make sure everything was in the right place. Although with the nursing pads I use now probably wouldn't be so difficult. Question, if the garment has to always be right up against the skin no matter what what do you do for that time of the month? Would that be the only instance where the garment being secondary would be allowed? I'm not trying to stir the pot just getting ideas, thoughts.

Songbird
captain of 1,000

Post by Songbird »

momto5 wrote:
natasha wrote:As everyone has said, you wear your garments next to your skin. By the way, they have garments specially for nursing mothers that should solve that problem.
I used those for the first few kids. It was very hard trying to be discreet in the Mother's Lounge since it took two hands to pull my self back together and make sure everything was in the right place. Although with the nursing pads I use now probably wouldn't be so difficult. Question, if the garment has to always be right up against the skin no matter what what do you do for that time of the month? Would that be the only instance where the garment being secondary would be allowed? I'm not trying to stir the pot just getting ideas, thoughts.
Okay,,,if you could guarantee me that the guys aren't hitting this thread, I would post...oh well nevermind...When I was in heavy flow, I used underwear to "hold" my things in place underneath my garment, but only as long as it took to pass, then back to the regular way. I felt I did not want to soil if I knew I couldn''t control the flow.

Second: Here is a tip: Peroxide on freshly stained garments almost always takes the blood stains out. This works on clothes and sheets too and does NOT remove color either. Wonderful stuff on blood.

momto5
captain of 50

Post by momto5 »

Songbird wrote:
momto5 wrote:
Okay,,,if you could guarantee me that the guys aren't hitting this thread, I would post...oh well nevermind...When I was in heavy flow, I used underwear to "hold" my things in place underneath my garment, but only as long as it took to pass, then back to the regular way. I felt I did not want to soil if I knew I couldn''t control the flow.

Second: Here is a tip: Peroxide on freshly stained garments almost always takes the blood stains out. This works on clothes and sheets too and does NOT remove color either. Wonderful stuff on blood.
That's a good idea. Never thought about using peroxide.

nutmeg
captain of 50

Post by nutmeg »

I think it should be worn next to the skin as much as possible, but I too do not wear it next to the skin for the duration of my period, and not for the duration of nursing. Nursing garments are NOT well designed (at least not for my body shape) and I never had any success with them. I know MANY nursing mom's who do not use them and just yank down their regular garments basically. But I never had much success with that either and usually had to pull my garments up from underneath. which necessitated wearing my bra under my garments. But it is a problem and made it so I almost never nursed in public. Very frustrating, indeed.

Anyway, HF gave me this body, He blessed women with rather a lot of "special" circumstances like periods and pregnancy and nursing, etc, I think He understands. I'm usually very happy to go back to the bra on the outside of the garment as I think it's rather more comfortable.

nutmeg
captain of 50

Post by nutmeg »

SwissMrs&Pitchfire wrote:on I have begun to think more about whether it is proper to wear a brassiere under or over the garment top? Honestly it seems it should just be incorporated into the top, but alas...

I would also love them to just start incorporating the bra in! i guess it might be hard because there are so many different bra sizes but man, that would be so awesome! i am forever adjusting my bra and garment shoulders, if they would just make it the same thing it would be so great. especially for nursing! goodness, i'm tempted to write to Beehive Clothing.

Songbird
captain of 1,000

Post by Songbird »

nutmeg wrote:
SwissMrs&Pitchfire wrote:on I have begun to think more about whether it is proper to wear a brassiere under or over the garment top? Honestly it seems it should just be incorporated into the top, but alas...

I would also love them to just start incorporating the bra in! i guess it might be hard because there are so many different bra sizes but man, that would be so awesome! i am forever adjusting my bra and garment shoulders, if they would just make it the same thing it would be so great. especially for nursing! goodness, i'm tempted to write to Beehive Clothing.
You go girl! How ever, I don't have any complaints with the way they are except that the sizes are not consistent within themselves. For example 36 is great in long john style, but too small in regular...go figure.

katers
captain of 100

Post by katers »

I wear my bra on top as well...I don't remember specific instruction on it, but that was always what I had seen my mother do.

However, my mom worked in the temple for a few years, and she told me that recently, (not sure when) the instruction was changed, and that it is up to the individual to decide over or under. Sorry, I don't have any specific references to give other than her word.

wolfman
captain of 100

Post by wolfman »

I know you said women only but I couldn't remain silent. There was an Elder on my mission who wore regular underwear under his garments because I guess the garment wasn't comfortable for him. The more pharisee type Elders were giving him crap about it and the Mission President who is not only a stake patriarch but also a sealer in the salt lake temple said it doesn't matter as long as you wear the garment.

You may find this interesting to read as well: http://www.scribd.com/doc/41977917/Hist ... he-Garment

katers
captain of 100

Post by katers »

I wear my bra on top as well...I don't remember specific instruction on it, but that was always what I had seen my mother do.

However, my mom worked in the temple for a few years, and she told me that recently, (not sure when) the instruction was changed, and that it is up to the individual to decide over or under. Sorry, I don't have any specific references to give other than her word.

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

I hate maternity or nursing tops as well and just buy the chemise-style now. I wear my bra over and have sometimes worn underwear under when it is that time of the month...out of respect for the garment. Now I use my cup and older garments that aren't bright white anymore anyway. I don't know if that is actually better or not, but it is where I am now.

A bit off-topic, but I thought I'd add since we're kind of on this subject and this is a women's only thread --I TOTALLY love my DIVA cup. I wanted something reusable and the idea of wearing nothing but cloth pads all the time wasn't as appealing. It takes about one period to adjust to it, but I wouldn't go back. I have also tried the keeper moon cup and don't like it as much...and then my cat ripped it to shreds! It is an insane cat that loves anything silicone or wool and will soon be banished to live with the goats.

Here's a link if the idea is totally new to you: http://www.divacup.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ETA: Sorry! Keep forgetting to say it is Catherine, not MR. B!

singyourwayhome
captain of 1,000

Post by singyourwayhome »

I was also taught that the garment should be next to the skin- so bras and nylons go over the top. When I'm nursing, I use nursing pads under but bra over anyway.
During my time of the month, though, those pads would not stay in place, so I use 'Gentile underwear' under my garment bottoms during heavy days. Back when I was newly endowed, I worried about this and approached a temple worker about it. She said that she thinks the Lord understands this 'special circumstance', and just go back to what's requested as soon as possible.

SAM
captain of 100

Post by SAM »

bbrown wrote:I hate maternity or nursing tops as well and just buy the chemise-style now. I wear my bra over and have sometimes worn underwear under when it is that time of the month...out of respect for the garment. Now I use my cup and older garments that aren't bright white anymore anyway. I don't know if that is actually better or not, but it is where I am now.

A bit off-topic, but I thought I'd add since we're kind of on this subject and this is a women's only thread --I TOTALLY love my DIVA cup. I wanted something reusable and the idea of wearing nothing but cloth pads all the time wasn't as appealing. It takes about one period to adjust to it, but I wouldn't go back. I have also tried the keeper moon cup and don't like it as much...and then my cat ripped it to shreds! It is an insane cat that loves anything silicone or wool and will soon be banished to live with the goats.

Here's a link if the idea is totally new to you: http://www.divacup.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ETA: Sorry! Keep forgetting to say it is Catherine, not MR. B!
Never heard of the diva cup, but I am intrigued by that idea. I think it's always a good idea to have a back-up to disposable anything anyway, which brings me to my point...lily padz. I totally dislike the nursing garments as well and nursing pads are a nightmare to use with or without garments. Lily pads are the best solution to nursing pads I have ever found. They are reusable and totally comfortable and you don't have to worry as much about using them with garments because you stick them to your own skin rather than the cloth of your garments or bra. If you're a nursing women, or will be soon, I highly recommend them: http://www.simplylily.com/product1.html

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

I've seen those before and wondered if they were too restrictive (the pressure acting like wrapping when weaning) but the website says it won't affect supply...thanks for the link!

Catherine

sixgunsue
captain of 100

Post by sixgunsue »

I have been using the Diva Cup for 3 yrs now and LOVE it. However, just recently was surprised! with a new little one on the way. This was a serious shock as I haven't had a baby in 14 yrs! We adopted our last two girls 11 yrs ago and that gave us 6. We were fine with that, but the Lord has other plans! I'm glad to hear a good report on the Lily Pads because after my success with the Diva Cup I was very intrigued by them. Thanks for the headsup. I'm always interested in reusable things
that don't create more ( really disgusting) waste. I will say that the Diva cup didn't work for my friend who has a tipped uterus, but I don't think she really tried, because it's "gross"? I find it much less gross than the standard stuff. As far as sizes, there are only 2 lrg pr reg and "virgin". I use the virgin..hehehe. I'm obviously not. But that's the only downside, only 2 sizes. Sorry for the TMI. Enquiring minds want to know!

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

Congratulations Sixgunsue!

sixgunsue
captain of 100

Post by sixgunsue »

Thanks so much!
Now, if I could just hurry up and get from this :ymsick: to this! :)
Speaking of reusable products, I found this article today...
http://allaboutclothdiapers.com/this-is ... h-diapers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've used cloth mostly for all my babies. I started 21 years ago! ( HOLY COW!)
Anyway, they've come a long way even since just 10 yrs ago, or even the last 3 yrs. They are much more popular now.
But I mainly started using them for cost, I was very poor in the beginning, but as the yrs rolled by I became convinced
they were far healthier for my babies. Nothing against the environment, we do need to be good stewards, but,
my child's health and well being was the ultimate deciding factor.
I learned to use them exclusively when my son was born 14 yrs ago as he would get a bloody and blistered bum after any amount of time in a disposable. So I became the cloth expert during that time in our lives. But, it's been a long time
so while I've been in bed trying to keep my chunks down :ymsick: ( sorry), I've been studying up once more and brushing
up on the subject and new products. All I can say is WOW! It's so easy now! If you're thinking about it, watch this video
and read the comments and the just DO IT!
Just my opinion.
BTW the website link is a very good info site!

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Congrats on the pregnancy!!!