if you will thank the Lord with all your heart every night for all the blessings of that day, you will eventually find

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

if you will thank the Lord with all your heart every night for all the blessings of that day, you will eventually find

Post by kirtland r.m. »

If you will thank the Lord with all your heart every night for all the blessings of that day, you will eventually find yourself exalted in the kingdom of God. Joseph Smith 44 This is a powerful statement on the spiritual necessity of gratitude. The scripture says, “He who receiveth all things with thankfulness [notice the “all” in that: difficulties, strains, disaster, setbacks] shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea, more.”45https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/truman-g ... auvoo-era/

Mindfields
captain of 1,000

Re: if you will thank the Lord with all your heart every night for all the blessings of that day, you will eventually fi

Post by Mindfields »

The speech by Truman Madsen you pulled this quote from is literally filled with hearsay and remembrances. There's some pretty important stuff mentioned yet no scripture was written or even mentioned and recorded while Joseph Smith was alive. In any other context this would be huge red flag.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: if you will thank the Lord with all your heart every night for all the blessings of that day, you will eventually fi

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Mindfields wrote: January 20th, 2021, 5:30 am The speech by Truman Madsen you pulled this quote from is literally filled with hearsay and remembrances. There's some pretty important stuff mentioned yet no scripture was written or even mentioned and recorded while Joseph Smith was alive. In any other context this would be huge red flag.
Thanks Mindfields, it is not wrong at all to think about sources and remembrances. Still, when I tell others about something I have heard or experienced forty years ago that made a deep impression on me, I am able to get it right. Ever hear an old song of your youth, and the clear memories begin to flood back into your mind. I am sure that many who would have heard Joseph say something really important, would almost always have got it right, reciting it years later. I think few would mislead of those who have a testimony that we will be judged guilty of a thing we say, if we knowingly lie or mislead(unless we will later repent of course). I also know some of these things were probably written down at the time or at some point, and we don't have some of these surviving to this late date. Thanks again. It is through the notes of, if memory serves me correctly, at least four brethren that we have the King Follet Discourse today thankfully.

TheDuke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by TheDuke »

It is true as well. The Lord has worked me many hours over many years to finally get me to the point, just last week, that I accept the hard parts (some nearly breaking me due to stress) of my life to the point to thank Him for them. As, He made it clear that if I had not undergone them, then I would have not become prepared for the blessing in store for me in the next life (and given I believe in some form of MMP or long complex progression), it would mean lost blessings or some form of do-over to pass the tests and learn the lessons. After all, that is the point of the darned mortal probation, isn't it? To be immersed with people of all levels (gods-to SoP) and be tested.

Luke
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Luke »

kirtland r.m. wrote: January 20th, 2021, 6:59 am
Mindfields wrote: January 20th, 2021, 5:30 am The speech by Truman Madsen you pulled this quote from is literally filled with hearsay and remembrances. There's some pretty important stuff mentioned yet no scripture was written or even mentioned and recorded while Joseph Smith was alive. In any other context this would be huge red flag.
Thanks Mindfields, it is not wrong at all to think about sources and remembrances. Still, when I tell others about something I have heard or experienced forty years ago that made a deep impression on me, I am able to get it right. Ever hear an old song of your youth, and the clear memories begin to flood back into your mind. I am sure that many who would have heard Joseph say something really important, would almost always have got it right, reciting it years later. I think few would mislead of those who have a testimony that we will be judged guilty of a thing we say, if we knowingly lie or mislead(unless we will later repent of course). I also know some of these things were probably written down at the time or at some point, and we don't have some of these surviving to this late date. Thanks again. It is through the notes of, if memory serves me correctly, at least four brethren that we have the King Follet Discourse today thankfully.
The notes of four brethren were used for the official report, but I know of at least one other report taken