"The dead in Christ shall rise first"

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
I AM
captain of 1,000

"The dead in Christ shall rise first"

Post by I AM »

1 Thessalonians
Chapter 4

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

D&C 45

44 And then they shall look for me, and, behold, I will come; and they shall see me in the clouds of heaven, clothed with power and great glory; with all the holy angels; and he that watches not for me shall be cut off.

45 But before the arm of the Lord shall fall, an angel shall sound his trump, and the saints that have slept shall come forth to meet me in the cloud.

46 Wherefore, if ye have slept in peace blessed are you; for as you now behold me and know that I am, even so shall ye come unto me and your souls shall live, and your redemption shall be perfected; and the saints shall come forth from the four quarters of the earth.

47 Then shall the arm of the Lord fall upon the nations.

I AM
captain of 1,000

Re: "The dead in Christ shall rise first"

Post by I AM »

Even though the church doesn't use the word "rapture", and we know the saints will have to go through tribulations and hardy escape themselves, we do have these scriptures that seem to indicate some sort of what others call "the rapture" where -
"the saints that are upon the earth, who are alive, shall be quickened and be caught up to meet him. "
D&C 88:96

Again in D&C section 88 the Lord warns, "prepare the saints for the hour of judgment which is to come; that their souls may escape the wrath of God, the desolation of abomination which awaits the wicked both in this world and in the world to come" (DC 88:84-85).

96 And the saints that are upon the earth, who are alive, shall be quickened and be caught up to meet him.
97 And they who have slept in their graves shall come forth, for their graves shall be opened; and they also shall be caught up to meet him in the midst of the pillar of heaven—
98 They are Christ’s, the first fruits, they who shall descend with him first, and they who are on the earth and in their graves, who are first caught up to meet him; and all this by the voice of the sounding of the trump of the angel of God. (D&C 88:96-98).

Thus begins the resurrection of the just and the millennial reign of Christ on the earth (see DC 88:99-101; Revelation 20:4-6).
Those who are caught up are not taken into heaven but reign "with Christ a thousand years" on the earth.[3] Thereafter, "they shall reign for ever and ever" with him (Revelation 22:4-5).

Joseph Smith's inspired revision of Matthew 24 informs us that the great tribulation will be "on the Jews and the inhabitants of Jerusalem" (JS-M 1:18) and "after the tribulation of those days... they shall see the Son of Man coming in the clouds of heaven... and he shall send his angels before him with the great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together the remainder of his elect" (JS-M 1:36-37). DC 29:8 tells us that the "tribulation and desolation shall be upon the wicked," but Joseph Smith added that, "it is a false idea that the Saints will escape all judgment whilst the wicked suffer; for all flesh is subject to suffer, and the righteous shall hardly escape [DC 63:34], still many of the Saints will escape..."[2]

Doctrine and Covenants section 63 provides us with additional insight regarding these events and also explains the LDS belief concerning the translation of believers at the coming of Christ. It states that,

the saints also shall hardly escape; nevertheless, I, the Lord, am with them, and will come down in heaven from the presence of the Father and consume the wicked with unquenchable fire... he that liveth when the Lord shall come, and hath kept the faith, blessed is he; nevertheless, it is appointed to him to die at the age of a man [100 years - Isaiah 65:20]. Wherefore, children shall grow up until they become old; old men shall die; but they shall not sleep in the dust, but they shall be changed in the twinkling of an eye" (D&C 63:34,50-51).

D&C 45

44 And then they shall look for me, and, behold, I will come; and they shall see me in the clouds of heaven, clothed with power and great glory; with all the holy angels; and he that watches not for me shall be cut off.

45 But before the arm of the Lord shall fall, an angel shall sound his trump, and the saints that have slept shall come forth to meet me in the cloud.

46 Wherefore, if ye have slept in peace blessed are you; for as you now behold me and know that I am, even so shall ye come unto me and your souls shall live, and your redemption shall be perfected; and the saints shall come forth from the four quarters of the earth.

47 Then shall the arm of the Lord fall upon the nations.

Matthew 24
27 For as the lightning cometh out of the beast, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

29 ¶ Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

33 So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors.

34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

36 ¶ But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

38 For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,

39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

42 ¶ Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by kirtland r.m. »

Just one of many false doctrines floating around out there among Christians, is this one. Pre-Tribulation Rapture:
The most popularly taught view among Christian faiths is known as the Pre-Tribulation Rapture, or "Pre-Trib" theory.
Those who accept this perspective believe the Rapture will happen just before the tribulation period, at the beginning of the seventieth week of Daniel. The Rapture will usher in the final seven years of this age. True followers of Jesus Christ will be transformed into their spiritual bodies in the Rapture and taken from the Earth to be in Heaven with God. Non-believers will be left behind to face severe tribulation as the Antichrist prepares to take his place as the Beast half way through the seven year period. According to this view, non-believers will still come to accept Christ, in spite of the Church's absence during this time, however, these new Christians will endure extreme persecution, to the point of death by beheading. Study Biblical Theories About an End Times Rapture http://christianity.about.com/od/faqhel ... apture.htm
When this false idea doesn't occur, at the beginning of what John (Chapter 8 John sees fire and desolation poured out during the seventh seal and preceding the Second Coming.Chapter 9 John also sees the wars and plagues poured out during the seventh seal and before the Lord comes.) Chapter headings book of Revelations, L.D.S..Org. and other prophets and apostles have been shown, this will cause many to stumble, I believe, as they realize that prophesied events are starting to happen, but no rapture. It is a modern day invented doctrine of men, mingled with scripture.
This may or may not be a good source on beginning of that doctrine, but if not, it is close.
1. Rapture doctrine is one of the most recent "new doctrines" in the history of the Church. The only doctrine more recent is the invention of the sinner's prayer for salvation by Billy Sunday in 1930, which was made popular by Billy Graham in 1935.
2. The fact that John Nelson Darby invented the pre-tribulation rapture doctrine around 1830 AD is unquestionably true. All attempts to find evidence of this wild doctrine before 1830 have failed, with a single exception: Morgan Edwards wrote a short essay as a college paper for Bristol Baptist College in Bristol England in 1744 where he confused the second coming with the first resurrection of Revelation 20 and described a "pre-tribulation" rapture. However Edwards ideas, which he admitted were brand new and never before taught, had no influence in the modern population of the false doctrine. That prize to goes to Darby.
3. Prior to 1830, no church taught it in their creed, catechism or statement of faith
This is what will really happen surrounding this idea written in a very concise way. Rapture: According to modern and ancient prophets, there will be no pre-tribulation rapture. At the second coming of Christ the righteous will be caught up to meet Him, but that will be after the tribulations that will come upon the earth, not before. http://mormonfaq.com/a-glossary-of-morm ... lossary-rs
No wonder the Lord hates false doctrine, it is a stumbling block to those seeking to do His will, and it will not help in the coming trials. Someone else also knows that too (4 And he became Satan, yea, even the devil, the father of all lies, Moses 4:4).
The wicked who have survived on the earth at the end of what has been called the tribulation period when the righteous will be caught up to meet the Savior will not remain long as the earth is cleansed with fire.
D&C 63: 34 (34, 54)
34 And the saints also shall hardly escape; nevertheless, I, the Lord, am with them, and will come down in heaven from the presence of my Father and consume the wicked with unquenchable fire.
D&C 64: 24.
24 For after today cometh the burning—this is speaking after the manner of the Lord—for verily I say, tomorrow all the proud and they that do wickedly shall be as stubble; and I will burn them up, for I am the Lord of Hosts; and I will not spare any that remain in Babylon.
More info. at this link.http://classic.scriptures.lds.org/en/tg/d/26
Last edited by kirtland r.m. on April 18th, 2019, 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

and all this by the voice of the sounding of the trump of the angel of God.

Seriously, why do Christians think they'll be saved from tribulation? I realize we have the benefit of a dispensation prophet, but where in the Bible does it even begin to suggest that A Rapture then B Tribulation?

Robbinius
captain of 100

Post by Robbinius »

Alaris wrote: April 18th, 2019, 5:51 pm and all this by the voice of the sounding of the trump of the angel of God.

Seriously, why do Christians think they'll be saved from tribulation? I realize we have the benefit of a dispensation prophet, but where in the Bible does it even begin to suggest that A Rapture then B Tribulation?
I think it's a combination of 1 Thessalonians 4:14-18 and Zechariah 14:5. The Lord will bring the saints with him to the battle of Gog and Magog in Jerusalem.

1 Thes. 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.
15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

Zech. 14:5 And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the Lord my God shall come, and all the saints with thee.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

In the way that rapture is chiefly taught it is false doctrine. When I first heard about it in the 60s, before I joined the Church, I thought it was pretty cool, just believe and everything will be okay, you will disappear and be with God and then do some stuff with Him while everyone else suffers. There is no prediction of a pre-tribulation separation. Also, in the very middle of one of the most misquoted set of scriptures that are used to support the rapture doctrine we find this: "Luke 17:33 Whosoever shall seek to save his life shall lose it; and whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it." Not real supportive of the rapture theory.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Robbinius wrote: April 18th, 2019, 6:35 pm
Alaris wrote: April 18th, 2019, 5:51 pm and all this by the voice of the sounding of the trump of the angel of God.

I think it's a combination of 1 Thessalonians 4:14-18 and Zechariah 14:5. The Lord will bring the saints with him to the battle of Gog and Magog in Jerusalem.

1 Thes. 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

Zech. 14:5 And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the Lord my God shall come, and all the saints with thee.
Dang, Thesasalonians 4:16 is not a metaphor. Jesus will descend with the voice of the archangel could be a metaphor or indicate that there is an archangel with him. Compare to the scripture I highlighted above and it's clear it is indeed the latter.

I think Matthew 24 with folks disappearing while folks are going about their business, and the Lord coming as a thief in the night may contribute as well. But if you read the rest of Matthew 24 there is clear indication that there is much tribulation that affects the saints with fleeing and tribulation etc. I mean, you really have to cherry pick scriptures to come up with the rapture. I served my mission in Texas, and the culture in the Bible Belt is one of picking churches that sound the most pleasing.

See - even Zech 14:5 talks about fleeing. That sounds like tribulation! :) What a blessing it is to have the fullness of the gospel.

I AM
captain of 1,000

Post by I AM »

interesting.
don't really know what to think yet.
any thoughts on this video ?

ALARM! MY STUNNING ROOSTER RAPTURE SIGN NOTRE DAME CATHEDRAL MIRACLE BY KIMBERLY!
Elijah & Moses

I AM
captain of 1,000

Post by I AM »

Alaris wrote: April 18th, 2019, 8:15 pm
Robbinius wrote: April 18th, 2019, 6:35 pm

Dang, Thesasalonians 4:16 is not a metaphor. Jesus will descend with the voice of the archangel could be a metaphor or indicate that there is an archangel with him. Compare to the scripture I highlighted above and it's clear it is indeed the latter.

I think Matthew 24 with folks disappearing while folks are going about their business, and the Lord coming as a thief in the night may contribute as well. But if you read the rest of Matthew 24 there is clear indication that there is much tribulation that affects the saints with fleeing and tribulation etc. I mean, you really have to cherry pick scriptures to come up with the rapture. I served my mission in Texas, and the culture in the Bible Belt is one of picking churches that sound the most pleasing.

See - even Zech 14:5 talks about fleeing. That sounds like tribulation! :) What a blessing it is to have the fullness of the gospel.
-------------
didn't know if you might be interested or not in this Alaris
but she mentions "Jesus will descend with the voice of the archangel"
could be at Passover.

at this point on her video (click on link)
or around 10 min 25 sec.
Elijah & Moses
PASSOVER SHOFAR BLASTS, PASCHAL LAMB, MESSIAH SINGS THE HALLEL REVIVAL OF THE DEAD AT PASSOVER
https://youtu.be/uk91aHz5wQQ?t=583