Empathy vs Love

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Empathy vs Love

Post by Jonesy »

Love is obviously the rule by which we should live. But I’m just starting to see an emergence of empathy over love in society. Should decisions ever be based on empathy?

This is just an example of what I’m seeing (I don’t mean for it to be the topic of discussion):
9D373E1B-D0DC-4137-ABE1-B02070A97903.jpeg
9D373E1B-D0DC-4137-ABE1-B02070A97903.jpeg (454.04 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
Are we misunderstanding this (which alludes to love)?
12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Empathy vs Love

Post by Thinker »

Empathy is the ability to understand or share feelings of another. Love is more encompasing, because it is appreciating what is while striving for what’s best - which involves not just empathy but also thought-out reason... & not just for you, or her or him - but for all involved.

All shooters had 2 common factors:
1. Had been on prescription mind-altering drugs &
2. Grew up without a father in the home.
So, let’s discuss solutions to these problems rather than look for scapegoats that deny others constitutional rights, unless you want to suggest banning knives - the weapon that kills far more than guns do.

The immigration issue is a tough one. If my children’s lives were being threatened by so much gang activity in Mexico & I had the chance to bring them to America for a better life - I’d probably take it - even if it meant being here illegally. So I can empathize with many who’ve done this. Yet, I also realize how hard some have worked to honestly & legally come here - & how they had to pay - it isn’t fair. But life’s not fair. We in the US are so unbelievably spoiled compared to most - it’s no surprise so many people want to come here. But there has to be limits and order otherwise it turns into chaos - and in “helping” some you hurt others.

I notice in the post above, there is no mention of the MILLIONS (about 125,000 DAILY) genocidal murders of children. Do YOU care? Where is the empathy when it is known that by 8 weeks gestation, children (developing human beings) have all body systems intact - including central nervous system. So, by the time abortions are performed, many children can FEEL the horrific pain of having their body ripped apart.

Realize that we are like walking binoculars- we tend to zoom in and focus & have empathy & love for one thing, while ignoring a lot on the periphery. The higher love considers the bigger picture - what is good for you, me and all involved.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Empathy loses sight of the big picture, without love.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

"Empathy is the ability to understand or share feelings of another." Actually, empathy is believing that you understand or share feelings of another.

The scriptures don't advocate empathy. They advocate compassion. In my view empathy is full of judgment. Compassion doesn't judge, it just loves as the person is. Empathy tries to perceive another feelings, and then judges if those feelings are okay or not, and begins to act according to their perception of those feelings. Like the person in the post quoted above. He said over and over again: "I don't want..." and each time he expressed a need to control the world so it didn't insult his feelings or perceptions.

Satan is willing to manipulate the world to get what he wants. We must allow others their agency, in a civilized context.

We have been commanded to "judge not.." Empathy is full of judgment, unless given directly of the Spirit. In my experience, that is very uncommon.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Because language is a dynamic, living thing, its usage evolves over time. What was considered "hot" in yesteryear, is now considered "cool." Such is the case with this particular word "empathy." Empathy is not the feeling sorry "for" someone, so much as the feeling sorry "with" someone. It is in having passion "with" someone that affixes the "com" prefix in front of the word, "com passion." Taking "Pity" on someone is not even in the ballpark because that involves "on" and not "with." Empathy . . . empathizing . . . has more to do with "walking a mile" in someone elses shoes and having understanding (a product of "heart felt" feelings,) of what they are going through. There shouldn't be a "polarizing" attempt in a competitive comparison between empathy and love, because empathy is a component of the type of love that we should be developing for others. It is this very "passion" that enabled the Savior to "overcome" His hesitancy of the bitter cup. He has walked in our shoes and as the Son of Man, He has empathy "with" and not "on" or "for" people. Do you realize that it is considered a negative thing these days for someone to be considered "condescending?" Yet, the greatest of all condescended to walk "with" us to understand the journey in this cold, dark, dreary world.

It is my opinion that the "real" discussion should be about: "Pity vs Love," with an expose about the digression of pitying, enduring and then embracing.

The "soap box" that I choose to extend is "ALL" for the following information: Newsflash!!! We all judge one another whether we admit it or not. It is not a problem if that judgment is "righteous;" however, it always ends up "rebounding" onto us . . . because it is our "mirror" and our "perceptive" reflection. One can only comprehend what one is or has been. So, with what measure we mete is measured unto us, again. Call it "Karma," call it "the Universe messing with you," call it what you will - but it is a fact. Too, all that we will know in this realm of existence is our own consciousness. Life's review in the afterlife gives us the opportunity to step into other's conscious bubble to realize via their thoughts and feelings, the effect that our actions had upon them. A reasonable and rational definition - one that works; therefore, is warranted so that we don't end up condemning ourselves and here it is, again - worth repeating: Judgment is meant for identification and not condemnation.

Judgment and Justice have to be impartial. It is an objective thing. Grace and Mercy, too, have to be impartial. They most often are "subjective" things in this realm, corrupted by the bias of partiality and conditional love.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

The scriptures encourage compassion, but not empathy. Why?

Christ is really good at Empathy, because he truly can understand another. Outside of the Spirit giving you that understanding, you are only judging. Almost always, we are wrong when we think we know what someone else is going through. But, with compassion, you can love them as they go through it, and not delude yourself that you can "feel what they are feeling".

"Judgment and Justice have to be impartial. It is an objective thing." I agree. But, when you think you can ""walking a mile" in someone elses shoes and having understanding (a product of "heart felt" feelings,) of what they are going through." I think we are deluded. We can imagine what they are going through. We can believe we know. But in reality, you will never truly know what another person is going through.
What was Abraham feeling and thinking as he walked up Mount Moriah with Isaac en tow? We really can never know. IF we think we know what he experienced, we are just deluding ourselves, unless God has decided to reveal it to us.
Empathy is a hard place to get to righteously. Compassion not so hard.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Rand wrote: The scriptures encourage compassion, but not empathy. Why?

Christ is really good at Empathy, because he truly can understand another. Outside of the Spirit giving you that understanding, you are only judging. Almost always, we are wrong when we think we know what someone else is going through. But, with compassion, you can love them as they go through it, and not delude yourself that you can "feel what they are feeling".

"Judgment and Justice have to be impartial. It is an objective thing." I agree. But, when you think you can ""walking a mile" in someone elses shoes and having understanding (a product of "heart felt" feelings,) of what they are going through." I think we are deluded. We can imagine what they are going through. We can believe we know. But in reality, you will never truly know what another person is going through.
What was Abraham feeling and thinking as he walked up Mount Moriah with Isaac en tow? We really can never know. IF we think we know what he experienced, we are just deluding ourselves, unless God has decided to reveal it to us.

Whew! Thank you for allowing a way out. There for a moment I thought that I was deluded. ;)

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

After reading comments & thinking about the original post, I’m reminded how many different valid ways to see things like this, there are. What I love about forums is getting multiple reasonable point of views I hadn’t previously considered.

Often feeling is mistaken for love. Transgender issues and homosexuality are based on emotional reasoning or “appeal to emotion” logical fallacy... which is “the general category of many fallacies that use emotion in place of reason in order to attempt to win the argument. It is a type of manipulation used in place of valid logic.”

Ie: “ I FEEL like the opposite gender so I must be.” or
“I FEEL offended by the fact you said, so it’s hate speech!” or
“If you support gun rights, you are mean and want kids to be killed.”

These argue based on trying to determine truth by feelings. Some ideologies (like Left) are based on this. Some have claimed that deciding religious truth based on feeling is also illogical. However, it could be considered counter-intuitive to decide religious truth based purely on logic. We need both thought/logical reasoning ... and... the spirit/intuition.

I realize love is defined many different ways, but how I define love is all-encompassing - just the quality of love varies. I see every living being as inherently loving - striving for what they think is best, through trial and error - active faith. The more that pondering/studing it out (including studying our & others’ psych-ology) is harmonized with the spirit, the higher quality the love.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

BruceRGilbert wrote: February 18th, 2018, 12:13 am
Rand wrote: The scriptures encourage compassion, but not empathy. Why?

Whew! Thank you for allowing a way out. There for a moment I thought that I was deluded. ;)
Hey BRG, sorry if it felt like I was speaking directly to you. It wasn't my intent. If I came across too strong, my apologies.

By the way, I like your comment: " Judgment is meant for identification and not condemnation." Excellent way to express it.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

Thanks for the good comments.

That’s a great point that we should not pit empathy against love. I guess one can facilitate the other.

I think that empathy should help us make decisions, but it can’t really be our decision-maker. But if love can be our decision-maker (which I believe it can), then how does it work? Can it be explained secularly?

I think this can be a great tool when having discussions. Sometimes people are arguing for something based on empathy when they think they are doing it in the name of love. Either that, or the world is trying to replace love with empathy.

Lyster
captain of 100

Post by Lyster »

Empathy -
the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Sympathy -
feelings of pity and sorrow for someone else's misfortune:

Empathy requires understanding (in other words, you had to be there). This poster does not have it. He has sympathy. The person the poster is talking to probably also has sympathy. Both of them have a different understanding of how to avoid future sorrow.

Christ has empathy. He has "been there" in a way that only He could be.

"Take your prayers and shove them" removes the only one with actual empathy from the equation.

Sad irony in his words.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Lyster wrote: Empathy -
the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Sympathy -
feelings of pity and sorrow for someone else's misfortune:

Empathy requires understanding (in other words, you had to be there). This poster does not have it. He has sympathy. The person the poster is talking to probably also has sympathy. Both of them have a different understanding of how to avoid future sorrow.

Christ has empathy. He has "been there" in a way that only He could be.

"Take your prayers and shove them" removes the only one with actual empathy from the equation.

Sad irony in his words.
Sympathy: Passivity - non-experiential - of the mind. (Comprehension)

Empathy: Immersion - experiential - of the heart. (Understanding)
Thinker wrote: After reading comments & thinking about the original post, I’m reminded how many different valid ways to see things like this, there are. What I love about forums is getting multiple reasonable point of views I hadn’t previously considered.

Often feeling is mistaken for love. Transgender issues and homosexuality are based on emotional reasoning or “appeal to emotion” logical fallacy... which is “the general category of many fallacies that use emotion in place of reason in order to attempt to win the argument. It is a type of manipulation used in place of valid logic.”

Ie: “ I FEEL like the opposite gender so I must be.” or
“I FEEL offended by the fact you said, so it’s hate speech!” or
“If you support gun rights, you are mean and want kids to be killed.”

These argue based on trying to determine truth by feelings. Some ideologies (like Left) are based on this. Some have claimed that deciding religious truth based on feeling is also illogical. However, it could be considered counter-intuitive to decide religious truth based purely on logic. We need both thought/logical reasoning ... and... the spirit/intuition.

I realize love is defined many different ways, but how I define love is all-encompassing - just the quality of love varies. I see every living being as inherently loving - striving for what they think is best, through trial and error - active faith. The more that pondering/studing it out (including studying our & others’ psych-ology) is harmonized with the spirit, the higher quality the love.
Love - viz a viz: Charity: Wisdom / Empathy - experiential - of the soul; heart, might, mind and strength. (Realization) It is as Thinker has mentioned - We need both thought/logical "thinking" . . . and . . . feeling/emotional "tethering." (Attraction / Repulsion)

Thinker: My paradigm, and this because of recognizing the "Tabernacle" Inner Sanctuary and that which is modeled in nature, is that the spirit, (our spirit,) is that which has thoughts and feelings. It is this "spirit" or "consciousness" that is eternal. The "body" brings with it another dimension or aspect to our "consciousness." It is a necessary component with which to experience more "base" dimensions and particular the "reality" of God's ether in a Telestial sphere. It is the rawness and coarseness in the experience that helps us attain "meaning" and "appreciation" for that which is not.
Comprehension is gained in the contrast of accepting or rejecting; believing or doubting - Faith. Faith is of the mind . . . it is a "thought" thing. Understanding is gained in the "relating" to or "feeling for;" caring or having apathy - Hope. Hope is of the heart . . . it is a "feeling" thing. Realization is in the experiencing - the thoughts, the feelings, and the "valuing" of that which becomes meaningful in our ether - of the soul; spirit AND body. Hence, I have slightly modified your statement: "We need both thought/logical reasoning ... and... the spirit/intuition."

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

Bruce, could I suggest that promptings of the Spirit are different than intuition. I believe that intuition is a physical gift/curse. Psychics use intuition, not the spirit. Intuition is a gift of our physical nature, not our spiritual nature.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Rand wrote: Bruce, could I suggest that promptings of the Spirit are different than intuition. I believe that intuition is a physical gift/curse. Psychics use intuition, not the spirit. Intuition is a gift of our physical nature, not our spiritual nature.
Certainly you can, Rand - in the exchange of "keys." ;)

The timing of this is very intriguing to me because of a comment that I was prompted to give in our Priesthood lesson on Sunday. If you don't mind, I should like to share and amplify what you have begun.

In my paradigm - and of necessity I have to preface with that statement - instinct (Masculine) and intuition (Feminine) are the "microcode" used as the direction and discernment introduction to the more advanced "spiritual-guidance" gifts of inspiration, revelation, dreams, visions, O.B.E.s, etc.

Whether something is a gift or a curse would depend upon how it is "employed."
Titus 1:
15 Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

BruceRGilbert wrote: February 17th, 2018, 11:19 pm Because language is a dynamic, living thing, its usage evolves over time. What was considered "hot" in yesteryear, is now considered "cool." Such is the case with this particular word "empathy." Empathy is not the feeling sorry "for" someone, so much as the feeling sorry "with" someone. It is in having passion "with" someone that affixes the "com" prefix in front of the word, "com passion." Taking "Pity" on someone is not even in the ballpark because that involves "on" and not "with." Empathy . . . empathizing . . . has more to do with "walking a mile" in someone elses shoes and having understanding (a product of "heart felt" feelings,) of what they are going through. There shouldn't be a "polarizing" attempt in a competitive comparison between empathy and love, because empathy is a component of the type of love that we should be developing for others. It is this very "passion" that enabled the Savior to "overcome" His hesitancy of the bitter cup. He has walked in our shoes and as the Son of Man, He has empathy "with" and not "on" or "for" people. Do you realize that it is considered a negative thing these days for someone to be considered "condescending?" Yet, the greatest of all condescended to walk "with" us to understand the journey in this cold, dark, dreary world.

It is my opinion that the "real" discussion should be about: "Pity vs Love," with an expose about the digression of pitying, enduring and then embracing.

The "soap box" that I choose to extend is "ALL" for the following information: Newsflash!!! We all judge one another whether we admit it or not. It is not a problem if that judgment is "righteous;" however, it always ends up "rebounding" onto us . . . because it is our "mirror" and our "perceptive" reflection. One can only comprehend what one is or has been. So, with what measure we mete is measured unto us, again. Call it "Karma," call it "the Universe messing with you," call it what you will - but it is a fact. Too, all that we will know in this realm of existence is our own consciousness. Life's review in the afterlife gives us the opportunity to step into other's conscious bubble to realize via their thoughts and feelings, the effect that our actions had upon them. A reasonable and rational definition - one that works; therefore, is warranted so that we don't end up condemning ourselves and here it is, again - worth repeating: Judgment is meant for identification and not condemnation.

Judgment and Justice have to be impartial. It is an objective thing. Grace and Mercy, too, have to be impartial. They most often are "subjective" things in this realm, corrupted by the bias of partiality and conditional love.
I was listening to JPeterson about how one thing that sets us human beings apart is how we care. Other species care too - but it’s limited. Through our ability to judge what is good and not (& various degrees in between) & in the big picture for all involved - we are able to love better than without such discernment.

As I have learned and experienced more, I’m coming to see how complex each person, and situation is. Theoretically, but not practically, I could explore one person 24-7 for decades and still not know much about them, partly because they don’t even know & much of them is about potential so is not yet known. I see truth in yin/yang wholeness and “opposition in all things” principles but I also recognize that many don’t see it so if they are prematurely given such ideas, there may be a tendency to call good evil & visa versa or to say there is no good or evil & other kind of nihilistic dead-ends. There is good and bad, but each person may define it differently based on their unique understanding and values. In practice; we do in-fact, value or prioritize some things over other things. It’s best if that is done with deliberation rather than allowing temptations to creep in and deny us of what we really want for momentary pleasure. JRohn said, “Beware of the thief on the street that’s after your purse; but also beware of the thief in your mind that’s after your promise.”

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

BruceRGilbert wrote: February 19th, 2018, 3:37 pm

In my paradigm - and of necessity I have to preface with that statement - instinct (Masculine) and intuition (Feminine) are the "microcode" used as the direction and discernment introduction to the more advanced "spiritual-guidance" gifts of inspiration, revelation, dreams, visions, O.B.E.s, etc.
This is an interesting idea. The flaw I would see in this is that psychics, again, operate and are motivated by fear. Intuition is a large part of being able to be psychic. If it operates out of fear, that is leading you away from rather than toward a faith filled motivation. Fear is the antithesis of faith, rather then the building blocks of it. Thoughts?

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Rand wrote: February 18th, 2018, 6:26 pm Bruce, could I suggest that promptings of the Spirit are different than intuition. I believe that intuition is a physical gift/curse. Psychics use intuition, not the spirit. Intuition is a gift of our physical nature, not our spiritual nature.
Hi Rand,
I’ve heard that “Intuition is the voice of your spirit.” And I imagine the Spirit is kind of like a www connecting me and everyone (when we dial in) to God.

I realize there is a big psychic/energy work industry and essentially priestcraft. Yet, I do believe in psychic abilities like Jesus had - he could read minds - or rather read the many subtle clues that many overlook.

What differences do you see between intuition and the Spirit?

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

Intuition is a physical gift and sense. It can sense feelings and energies, but it cannot discern truth in those feelings. Sometimes people are accurate in their intuitions. Many times they are not. The Spirit and its working requires a sensitivity built on faith to "hear" it on a regular basis. Intuition as I stated before is a reaching out with our physical "feelers". This is a fear driven "Reaching out". Brigham called in animal magnetism.
Anyway, this is the result of my experiences. Hope it is helpful. I could be wrong. So far, it has been accurate in my experience.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Rand wrote:
BruceRGilbert wrote: February 19th, 2018, 3:37 pm

This is an interesting idea. The flaw I would see in this is that psychics, again, operate and are motivated by fear. Intuition is a large part of being able to be psychic. If it operates out of fear, that is leading you away from rather than toward a faith filled motivation. Fear is the antithesis of faith, rather then the building blocks of it. Thoughts?
"The flaw I would see in this is that psychics, again, operate and are motivated by fear." How do you "qualify" and "quantify" such a statement? In order to do so, Rand, you would have to be psychic - or at least be able to "mind read" to be able to make such a generalization. How can one know if psychics operate and are motivated by fear? What is your basis for making a statement of this nature? I concur that "if" psychic-ism operates out of fear, then it is the antithesis of faith. I am not sure that I am able to "qualify" a psychic by virtue of intuition, alone. I am unable to confidently state to one degree or another, what part of "spiritualism" can be characterized by intuition.
Rand wrote: Intuition is a physical gift and sense. It can sense feelings and energies, but it cannot discern truth in those feelings. Sometimes people are accurate in their intuitions. Many times they are not. The Spirit and its working requires a sensitivity built on faith to "hear" it on a regular basis. Intuition as I stated before is a reaching out with our physical "feelers". This is a fear driven "Reaching out". Brigham called in animal magnetism.
Anyway, this is the result of my experiences. Hope it is helpful. I could be wrong. So far, it has been accurate in my experience.
I have further questions with respect to this statement, as well, Rand. In order to speak of intuition, an "examination for discovery" is in order to determine if our usage of "constructs,"(in the form of language,) is jointly understood. For me, the initial statement that you make begs for a definition that allows you to characterize intuition as a physical sense. Does intuition have "neurological tissue and receptors" which have been identified in our physical realm that contribute to the "acuity" or lack thereof based on density? What is your paradigm that delineates "physical" things from "spiritual?" When you state that "feelings and energies" can be sensed, but the truthfulness of feelings cannot be discerned, of which truth do you speak? In my paradigm, there are two categories of truth: relative and absolute. Relative truth is what happens "inside of us" by virtue of our perceptions and this is the "spiritual" area of thoughts and feelings. Regardless of whether our perceptions are correct - (correct means being able to be verified in the "outside" or "REAL" world) - because they are "had" within, that makes them "REAL" relative to US because the thoughts and feelings have been experienced. Absolute truth - the second and foremost portion of TRUTH, is that which is "shared" outside of ourselves and experienced by others. This is the basis that I use to question an ability to know the "relative" truths of another's "motivations" for doing things. This is why "mind-reading" is a slippery slope, because, unless validated in the "physical, outside, real world," it ends up being "generalization" or "speculation" without validation - therefore, suspicious. Opinions are not facts. When I speak, I cannot speak for all people - I can only speak for myself based upon my own perceptions. Understanding one another, then, becomes a "meeting of the minds" and a "oneness" that occurs when we are in harmony and resonance.