The Gospel Encompasses All Truth

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
drtanner
captain of 1,000

The Gospel Encompasses All Truth

Post by drtanner »

On the Church's front page in case you missed it from President Uchtdorf, this was such a wonderful message. https://www.lds.org/liahona/2018/02/bey ... _xLIDyL2-3_

One of my favorite take aways:
"Isn’t it a remarkable feeling to belong to a Church that embraces truth—no matter the source—and teaches that there is much more to come, that God “will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God” [Articles of Faith 1:9]. As a result, we are humble about the truth we have. We understand our knowledge is a work in progress, that the leaf we have before us is simply one microscopic snapshot—part of an infinitely vast forest of fascinating knowledge."
I pray I can be more humble about the truths heaven has lead me to and I pray I will recognize the microscopic snapshot of the truth that is available from all sources of good.
"blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, from them shall be taken away even that which they have." 2 Nephi 28:30

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Re: The Gospel Encompasses All Truth

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Articles of Faith
13 We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

drtanner wrote: February 17th, 2018, 11:14 am
"Isn’t it a remarkable feeling to belong to a Church that embraces truth—no matter the source—and teaches that there is much more to come,
The part I underlined and bolded can be a struggle to accept. Are we humble enough to accept truth, no matter the source? So often what constitutes truth is measured by who said it as opposed to the quality of what has been said.

-Finrock

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

I agree.

The more I learn about the Amish, the more I am convinced that we as members need to learn from them the practical application of living the Law of Consecration.

Here is a good start:
https://www.amazon.com/Amish-Peace-Simp ... mish+peace

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

"An effort must be put forth to learn the gospel, to understand it, to comprehend the relationship of its principles. The gospel must be studied, otherwise no test of its truth may sanely be applied to it. That study must be wide, for the gospel is so organized that in it is a place for every truth, of every name and nature. That study must be constantly continued, for the content of the gospel is illimitable.

It is a paradox that men will gladly devote time every day for many years to learn a science or an art; yet will expect to win a knowledge of the gospel, which comprehends all sciences and arts, through perfunctory glances at books or occasional listening to sermons. The gospel should be studied more intensively than any school or college subject. They who pass opinion on the gospel without having given it intimate and careful study are not lovers of truth, and their opinions are worthless."

John A Widstoe

Zathura
Follow the Prophet

Post by Zathura »

Finrock wrote: February 20th, 2018, 9:55 am
drtanner wrote: February 17th, 2018, 11:14 am
"Isn’t it a remarkable feeling to belong to a Church that embraces truth—no matter the source—and teaches that there is much more to come,
The part I underlined and bolded can be a struggle to accept. Are we humble enough to accept truth, no matter the source? So often what constitutes truth is measured by who said it as opposed to the quality of what has been said.

-Finrock
^

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »