Members of the Church Expected to Know the Principles of the US Constitution

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Members of the Church Expected to Know the Principles of the US Constitution

Post by lundbaek »

I suspose it is not too much to say that when a latter-day prophet tells the members of the Church that "We must learn the principles of the Constitution in the tradition of the Founding Fathers, that we LDSs, at least we American LDSs, had better do so. He told us that we must learn the principles of a "blueprint" of a government that He established, albeit by the hands of wise men whom He raised up unto that very purpose.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Re: Members of the Church Expected to Know the Principles of the US Constitution

Post by kittycat51 »

I attend an awesome Book of Mormon class on Tuesday mornings which our Stake hosts. (People come from other stakes; we have an awesome teacher) Last class we were focused in Alma 21-22, where Lamoni gives his people the right to religious freedom. The whole class we focuses on religious freedom. I have noticed that the brethren have been heavy on the topic recently. I did not even realize that LDS.org has a special section for Religious Freedom. It states: "Learn about religious freedom and what you can do to protect it. Some of this content is specific to the United States, but the principles can be adapted in other countries." I think this focus includes knowing the Constitution. In my BofM class the other day a gal mentioned the book "The 5000 Year Leap: A Miracle that Changed the World" by Cleon Skousen. I'm sure many here on the forum have read it; I have never even heard of it. But after the class the other day, I am wanting to purchase it.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Re: Members of the Church Expected to Know the Principles of the US Constitution

Post by gardener4life »

What strikes me is how people in the government and law think that the Constitution is optional or outdated. If you are living your life in truth and worthy of God, nothing that is inspired will ever be outdated. You just have to figure out how to make individual choices that are good.

Sometimes they also don't see that every situation should be measured in good and evil. You will never, ever see anyone compare a legal decision in a court to good and evil. That's ridiculous. Everything is are you being good or bad.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

With just seconds to go in the MLB trading deadline, Justin Verlander, a high paid Detroit pitcher, became a Houston Astro.

Verlander was an immediate help to the Astros, helping them win their division, then the playoff rounds to get to the World Series. He wasn't dominant in the World Series but he added confidence to a team that had never won a World Series before.

None of us were here during the early days of American History when the Constitution was put together. We know the men and women of those days were inspired to do what they did. We respect and honor them!

Like the Astros, we have to play where the game is today. Hoping to be back in the first inning isn't the answer. Utah will likely put Mitt Romney in as senator later this year. Mitt Romney has the background and presence to have impact more than a usual junior senator. Mitt Romney is ready to play in our day, our time.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I challenge the suggestion that we ignore what a Prophet told us about befriending the US Constitution 30+ years ago. I know that as recently as 2014 Elder Oaks said in a radio interview broadcast that "But I see it as a responsibility for well educated citizens, members of the bar and opinion leaders to be acquainted with the United States Constitution and its guarantees." And also in 2014 a friend of mine asked Elder L. Tom Perry "Should Latter-Day Saints Still Befriend the United States Constitution ?" His reply to my friend was "Absolutely!...."

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

lundbaek wrote: February 15th, 2018, 9:23 am I challenge the suggestion that we ignore what a Prophet told us about befriending the US Constitution 30+ years ago. I know that as recently as 2014 Elder Oaks said in a radio interview broadcast that "But I see it as a responsibility for well educated citizens, members of the bar and opinion leaders to be acquainted with the United States Constitution and its guarantees." And also in 2014 a friend of mine asked Elder L. Tom Perry "Should Latter-Day Saints Still Befriend the United States Constitution ?" His reply to my friend was "Absolutely!...."
No one is challenging. All Mormons I know befriend the Constitution.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by mes5464 »

Arenera wrote: February 15th, 2018, 9:57 am
lundbaek wrote: February 15th, 2018, 9:23 am I challenge the suggestion that we ignore what a Prophet told us about befriending the US Constitution 30+ years ago. I know that as recently as 2014 Elder Oaks said in a radio interview broadcast that "But I see it as a responsibility for well educated citizens, members of the bar and opinion leaders to be acquainted with the United States Constitution and its guarantees." And also in 2014 a friend of mine asked Elder L. Tom Perry "Should Latter-Day Saints Still Befriend the United States Constitution ?" His reply to my friend was "Absolutely!...."
No one is challenging. All Mormons I know befriend the Constitution.

That is not my experience. The vast majority of members are NOT friends of the Constitution.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Nor has it been my experience and observation. For years now I have cringed as LDS voters and legislators have supported in various ways legislation and programs which infringe on our God-given and inalienable rights.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

So two of you say that the vast majority of members are not friends of the Constitution, even making you cringe.

I'm trying to understand the process of how you are trying to improve it. It doesn't seem like the rest of the country are measuring up either.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

By my own voice:

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

Read my past posts and you should see how I am trying to get other LDSs to befriend the US Constitution. I am focusing my efforts on LDS people because I believe we are beyond "the point of no return" and the best I can do is to help prepare that remnant (a.k.a. the elders of Israel) to be ready to help restore constitutional principles to government after the "cleansing".

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

lundbaek wrote: February 15th, 2018, 5:10 pm Read my past posts and you should see how I am trying to get other LDSs to befriend the US Constitution. I am focusing my efforts on LDS people because I believe we are beyond "the point of no return" and the best I can do is to help prepare that remnant (a.k.a. the elders of Israel) to be ready to help restore constitutional principles to government after the "cleansing".
LDSFF is a fine place, but certainly not much coverage of Mormons.