Pseudonames, Nick Names and Anonymity - Removing the Veil

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Pseudonames, Nick Names and Anonymity - Removing the Veil

Post by BruceRGilbert »

The next step of being intellectually and emotionally mature is stepping out from behind the veil and taking responsibility / ownership of your "space." Why would this be important? Or is it? What is the purpose of a "Mask?"

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Pseudonames, Nick Names and Anonymity - Removing the Veil

Post by David13 »

Prevent identity theft. Which is rather common today.
dc

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

I agree. I use my real name on purpose so I am not hiding behind a mask. I've shared enough info that anyone who knows me at all would recognize me, but, I don't use my full name because . . . safety.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

One purpose of hiding your identity is to be able to more freely express unpopular thoughts, beliefs, or opinions. There are a lot of people who feel a deep need to oppose expression of beliefs they don't accept or want to accept. If I were to go to church and say that women have a duty to be physically intimate with their husbands, and that if a woman refuses to fulfill her husband's needs she has no right to expect him to provide her with shopping money or take her out to dinners, or that it is a great wickedness for women to judge men based on wealth and income, you know the response would be very negative. It wold probably be the last time anybody other than the bishop or quorum president spoke to me.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

On the way to Jerusalem that day, the Savior requested the fruit of a leafy fig tree. You may already know the rest of the story. It has to do with "appearances" rather than "substance." I, too, prefer "real." I like to know who I am dealing with. Too, and my dear wife can attest, I prefer "natural." I have never appreciated "fake" anything. It was a great disappointment for me to learn about veneers. I think that we exist in a society where "facades" are paraded about daily. For me . . . and this is my "relative truth" of perception in my own "ether" and not the "absolute truth" of reality in God's "ether" . . . I prefer "real" honest expressions of emotion and thought. I can operate on "Truth" and find it very difficult to operate on "Deception." Some people are very adept in operating in that latter realm. I feel that for this reason, there will not be anything that will remain hidden, but all will be brought out into the open - all truth will eventually be revealed. Get ready. ;) Are you planning on hiding when you are found to be naked?

Contemplator
captain of 100

Post by Contemplator »

Luke 24
13 ¶ And, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.
14 And they talked together of all these things which had happened.
15 And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.
16 But their eyes were holden that they should not know him.
It seems that even Jesus works in annonimity, at times.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief

1. A poor, wayfaring Man of grief
Hath often crossed me on my way,
Who sued so humbly for relief
That I could never answer nay.
I had not pow'r to ask his name,
Whereto he went, or whence he came;
Yet there was something in his eye
That won my love; I knew not why.
2. Once, when my scanty meal was spread,
He entered; not a word he spake,
Just perishing for want of bread.
I gave him all; he blessed it, brake,
And ate, but gave me part again.
Mine was an angel's portion then,
For while I fed with eager haste,
The crust was manna to my taste.
3. I spied him where a fountain burst
Clear from the rock; his strength was gone.
The heedless water mocked his thirst;
He heard it, saw it hurrying on.
I ran and raised the suff'rer up;
Thrice from the stream he drained my cup,
Dipped and returned it running o'er;
I drank and never thirsted more.
4. 'Twas night; the floods were out; it blew
A winter hurricane aloof.
I heard his voice abroad and flew
To bid him welcome to my roof.
I warmed and clothed and cheered my guest
And laid him on my couch to rest,
Then made the earth my bed and seemed
In Eden's garden while I dreamed.
5. Stript, wounded, beaten nigh to death,
I found him by the highway side.
I roused his pulse, brought back his breath,
Revived his spirit, and supplied
Wine, oil, refreshment--he was healed.
I had myself a wound concealed,
But from that hour forgot the smart,
And peace bound up my broken heart.
6. In pris'n I saw him next, condemned
To meet a traitor's doom at morn.
The tide of lying tongues I stemmed,
And honored him 'mid shame and scorn.
My friendship's utmost zeal to try,
He asked if I for him would die.
The flesh was weak; my blood ran chill,
But my free spirit cried, "I will!"
7. Then in a moment to my view
The stranger started from disguise.
The tokens in his hands I knew;
The Savior stood before mine eyes.
He spake, and my poor name he named,
"Of me thou hast not been ashamed.
These deeds shall thy memorial be;
Fear not, thou didst them unto me."
Text: James Montgomery, 1771-1854
Music: George Coles, 1792-1858, alt.
Hymn sung prior to the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith. See History of the Church, 6:614-15.
How many times has the "Poor, Wayfaring Man of Grief" crossed your path and you knew it not?

Has the "anonymous" stranger started from disguise, yet, that you may recognize Him and be healed?

Those who are blind cannot see Him, initially, but if they reach out with their HEARTS, He can be felt.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Michelle wrote: February 11th, 2018, 9:29 am I agree. I use my real name on purpose so I am not hiding behind a mask. I've shared enough info that anyone who knows me at all would recognize me, but, I don't use my full name because . . . safety.
Of course I'm not using my real name; but Michelle is correct. My brother figured out who I was on this website because he knows me through what I've shared. ;) I got off of Facebook a couple of years ago though because my name was out there for anybody to see and what I shared, many of my friends and family didn't agree with. Who else could hold your thoughts and views against you?

I could put my first name as my user name...

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

I chose an pseudonym here purposefully for two reasons. One, it enables me to share things about people I know and still retain their anonymity. Two, it enables me to speak more freely, broadly speaking, than I am used to, as I am an extremely private person. I consider it therapy, except when it has the opposite effect, arhhg! Like Michelle and kittycat, anyone who knows me well and stumbles onto this forum has a good shot of knowing who I really am, and that doesn't really bother me.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

Some do not think they will be accountable for what they say while cloaked online.

They lie to themselves.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

I will gladly be accountable for what I say online. Anonymity can simply be a tool to protect one from harsh judgment of those who should help us carry our burdens but don't. Sharing in the hopes of helping others gleen from our experiences it easier to give and be received by the Spirit under the guise of anonymity. To be generous and kind in word and deed is better received anonymously. True sometimes opinions and debates get out of hand, but knowing a person's real name won't stop that , but it might prevent you from being a victim. I have shared things here I wouldnt with ward members, they couldn't handle some of my burdens, I don't ask anyone here to either. For me Older/wiser? Is more truth than my name or I could change it to broken not much difference.

On The Fringe
captain of 50

Post by On The Fringe »

Everyone has brought up some fantastic points.

Something that has not been brought up yet though.

Gordon B. Hinckley said this, "He alone, who owns the youth, gains the future."

Alright, so what if Gordon B. Hinckley didn't actually say that? You got me. It was Hitler. He said that.

The person who brings you the message influences the way you perceive it. To overcome that "barrier" (sometimes good, sometimes bad) in an easy way is to be anonymous - then the audience judges the message by the content itself.

If I sent a friend of mine who is a doctor an article written by Dr Merkola (or other what I call "naturalist" doctor) he most likely wouldn't read it. I send the article to him without a name attached, he very well may pick out points here and there and agree in part or in whole. I should do that actually...

Anyways, there's some food for thought!

EDIT: But when all is said and done, we are accountable for everything we do one way or another. In addition, almost nothing on the Internet is truly "anonymous"... It just remains such for a majority of those who don't have the ability to uncover the digital bits and put the pieces of the puzzle together to reveal the identity of the "anonymous" person.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

BruceRGilbert wrote: February 11th, 2018, 12:57 pm On the way to Jerusalem that day, the Savior requested the fruit of a leafy fig tree. You may already know the rest of the story. It has to do with "appearances" rather than "substance." I, too, prefer "real." I like to know who I am dealing with. Too, and my dear wife can attest, I prefer "natural." I have never appreciated "fake" anything. It was a great disappointment for me to learn about veneers. I think that we exist in a society where "facades" are paraded about daily. For me . . . and this is my "relative truth" of perception in my own "ether" and not the "absolute truth" of reality in God's "ether" . . . I prefer "real" honest expressions of emotion and thought. I can operate on "Truth" and find it very difficult to operate on "Deception." Some people are very adept in operating in that latter realm. I feel that for this reason, there will not be anything that will remain hidden, but all will be brought out into the open - all truth will eventually be revealed. Get ready. ;) Are you planning on hiding when you are found to be naked?
I think there was a time when Jesus appeared to some men and He hid His identity. We are also inspired to be kind to the stranger because we know not when angels walk among us.

You can't really hide your identity though. I have put my full name on a post or 2 because of my blog, and I got called in by the bishop over something I wrote on here.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Many people use pseudonyms, because it allows them the freedom to say things anonymously that they would be afraid to say, if it were known who they were, I think that is cowardice, and is a major reason why there is so much idiocy on the Internet That is why I always sign my posts.

Regards,

George Clay

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

I agree with On the Fringe in that it is nice to have a forum for discussion free from preconceived notions regarding the messengers. Standard social labels don't carry much weight here. It lets the ideas stand on their own merit. In general, I don't think that those of us using a pseudonym here are doing so in order to hide or to allow us to be brash or rude. Like older/wiser, I chose mine as a descriptor. I was feeling a little on edge when I registered. I was also eating some wheat thins.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

In a church where there is no free speech - where if you speak bad even about bad - you can have your life ruined, going online without anonymity is foolish. Even if you begin believing everything you’re told to believe, if you are seeking God’s will, you WILL discover some things that are not quite right which serve as reminders to only worship God, not any fallible human being. Then, God will inspire and ask you to testify of the truth you’ve learned so that others could be kept from being damned (held back from learning/progress).

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

I could be wrong, but I think the original poster was looking for a different direction than where this ended up. Removing the Veil, Interesting choice of words, learning who you really are may be more accurate. Then again maybe it ended up exactly where it was supposed to.

Contemplator
captain of 100

Post by Contemplator »

Older/wiser? wrote: February 13th, 2018, 10:26 pm I could be wrong, but I think the original poster was looking for a different direction than where this ended up. Removing the Veil, Interesting choice of words, learning who you really are may be more accurate. Then again maybe it ended up exactly where it was supposed to.
This comment got me thinking so I went back and read the OP again:
BruceRGilbert wrote: February 11th, 2018, 8:29 am The next step of being intellectually and emotionally mature is stepping out from behind the veil and taking responsibility / ownership of your "space." Why would this be important? Or is it? What is the purpose of a "Mask?"
Bruce's question caused me to think of verse from Paul in 1 Corinthians 13:
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
The "glass" in this verse refers to a mirror, or other reflective surface. Life is, in many ways, like a mirror. We can choose whether we see ourselves in the mirror or whether we focus on others. Often, the reactions of others tells us more about ourself than it does about the other. For example, if all of my conversations end up with everybody arguing with me, it could be that everybody is contentious. Or, it could be that I bring that contention out of them. A "mask," as Bruce asks, may be a way for our true self to remain hidden until we are ready to see our real self, unmasked. When the mask is removed then we will see ourself as we are seen.

When we are ready to know ourself as the Lord knows us, then we are ready to part the veil and see clearly.

Just a thought

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

I definitely think that there are different layers or degrees of conscious awareness, and that we all necessarily wear masks. Some masks are good - in a way, commandments (ie thou shalt not steal, not kill) can be seen as choosing a mask of obedience over carnal nature - and such masks, have for centuries, allowed us to be civil and trust each other enough to get along in societies. And there are higher commandments Christ taught which allow even better getting along. Deeper masks that we may hold up even to ourselves about “shadow” aspects we are not aware of but cause us & others trouble. I believe the parables of Adam and Eve and some examples Jesus gave helped in part, explain the need to be born again and again - to keep exploring shadow aspects which at first may cause us to feel naked/vulnerable/embarrassed - but is the plan of progress God intended - so God can help transform our weaknesses into strengths.

Not sure if a comment (regarding being argumentative) was directed to me or others who tend to be opinionated & expressive, but I have considered if my reasoning of giving unlikable viewpoints is not just the moral obligation to share truth as I’ve learned it, though that is a major part. I realize that maybe unrealistically always pointing out truth may push others away at times. No doubt there are often better ways to express something.

One other point about the practical reasoning for online anonymity... Some, like Brian and I, have gotten threats. For me it was on a different forum and was because they didn’t like inconvenient facts I posted about the homosexual agenda. Such harassing personal threats scared me, especially considering my family & I was very glad I protected my identity. And I wonder at someone who wants to know my personal information - why? I like anonymity also because we don’t judge based on gender, looks, status, calling etc. It’s true we miss informative nonverbal communication, but we are also better able to consider one’s thoughts/words directly for what they are, without distractions of appearance etc.

Contemplator
captain of 100

Post by Contemplator »

Thinker, I certainly did not have you in mind when I made my comment about being argumentative. It was autobiographical. I have learned from experience that I often learn more about what I bring out of people, rather than I learning about those people, when I observe their reactions to the way I treat them.