Charity wrapped with dignity

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
drtanner
captain of 1,000

Charity wrapped with dignity

Post by drtanner »

What a beautiful reminder:
She asked him, 'How much are you selling the eggs for?'

The old seller replied, .25 an egg, Madam.'

She said to him, 'I will take 6 eggs for 1.25 or I will leave.'

The old seller replied, 'Come take them at the price you want. Maybe, this is a good beginning because I have not been able to sell even a single egg today.'

She took the eggs and walked away feeling she has won. She got into her fancy car and went to a posh restaurant with her friend. There, she and her friend, ordered whatever they liked. They ate a little and left a lot of what they ordered. Then she went to pay the bill. The bill costed her 40.00 She gave 45.00- and asked the owner of the restaurant to keep the change.

This incident might have seemed quite normal to the owner but, very painful to the poor egg seller.

The point is,

Why do we always show we have the power when we buy from the needy ones? And why do we get generous to those who do not even need our generosity?

I once read read somewhere:

'my father used to buy simple goods from poor people at high prices, even though he did not need them. Sometimes he even used to pay extra for them. I got concerned by this act and asked him why does he do so? Then my father replied, "It is a charity wrapped with dignity, my child”

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Charity wrapped with dignity

Post by David13 »

I know a very wealthy man who does exactly that.
dc

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

I’m sure many here have had moments where we overpayed someone who may not have deserved it be it in money or our time, talents, or any form of service. Really had me thinking about the reality of this scripture,

“with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.”

If we give with charity to others who may not deserve it, how much more need have we of this same blessing from a kind merciful father who gives so much to us who because of many weaknesses deserve absolutely nothing from him.
Last edited by drtanner on February 17th, 2018, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

Beautiful stories!

On The Fringe
captain of 50

Post by On The Fringe »

I like the point that the story makes, and how you quoted, "With what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again."

I feel like we are guilty of this kind of thinking (the thinking the story illustrates) more often than we realize.

Many years ago I ignored a homeless woman who was specifically asking for food outside a grocery store (in a very large city I was unfamiliar with) and that experience still haunts me to this day. I had the means to provide her food and did not - I do not remember my reasons why; but as I was driving away I felt disgusted by my behaviour. I turned around and went back but she was gone - I could only hope someone else had given her what was needed. I failed to provide relief for someone else when God has provided me relief so often in my life.

I know my personal story doesn't exactly relate to the OP, but we can all improve ourselves in being charitable to others.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

This also reminds me of a trip to China. I was haggling with the street vendors as they had their goods spread out on the side walk in the evening. One Chinese guy got up and yelled at me, why are you doing this, when you have so much and he has so little?
I think he was right.