Faith and HEARING

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
drtanner
captain of 1,000

Faith and HEARING

Post by drtanner »

Had a conversation with a good friend about faith and it really had me thinking. Here are a few passages shared about the importance of faith.
"AND AS ALL HAVE NOT FAITH, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; SEEK LEARNING, even by study and ALSO BY FAITH". (D&C 88:118).

"And through the whole history of the scheme of life and salvation, it is a matter of faith: everyman received according to his faith – – according as his faith was, so were his blessings and privileges; and nothing was withheld from him WHEN HIS FAITH WAS SUFFICIENT TO RECEIVE IT." (Lecture 7:17).

And that Israel, who followed after the law of righteousness, has not obtained to the law of righteousness. Wherefore? (Why?) BECAUSE THEY SOUGHT IT NOT BY FAITH, but as it were BY THE WORKS OF THE LAW For they stumbled at that stumbling stone." (Lecture 7:17).

"the real difference between a saved person and one not saved is --THE DIFFERENCE IN THE DEGREE OF THEIR FAITH--one's faith has become PERFECT ENOUGH to lay hold upon eternal life, and the other's has not." (Lecture 7:9).
Which then had me thinking more about how we receive faith, or increase in faith and I thought the following scriptures were insightful:
Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Gal. 3: 2.
2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
2 Ne. 33: 1
1 And now I, Nephi, cannot write all the things which were taught among my people; neither am I mighty in writing, like unto speaking; for when a man speaketh by the power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts of the children of men.
Alma 31: 5
5 And now, as the preaching of the word had a great tendency to lead the people to do that which was just—yea, it had had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which had happened unto them—therefore Alma thought it was expedient that they should try the virtue of the word of God.
D&C 100: 8
8 And I give unto you this promise, that inasmuch as ye do this the Holy Ghost shall be shed forth in bearing record unto all things whatsoever ye shall say.
And I wanted to get your take on faith and increasing in faith. Why does one increase in faith? Is there a difference between hearing the word or reading the word? Are they one in the same? As you think of times where your faith has been increased have you noticed a difference when you have listened to someone in a group or one on one vs. reading? How else has faith been increased for you?

inho
captain of 1,000

Re: Faith and HEARING

Post by inho »

drtanner wrote: February 6th, 2018, 10:14 pm Is there a difference between hearing the word or reading the word? Are they one in the same?
Scriptures were written in times when not all people could read. That's why they speak of hearing instead of reading. However, reading is somewhat impersonal. There is something powerful with the personal connection. Whether that has anything to do with the Spirit or is it just basic psychology, I do not know.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

I have experienced a very startling reality. The closer to the Lord I draw, or in other words, the more I hear His voice, the more I hear the voice of the opposition. It becomes imperative to recognize when it is the Lord who speaks to you and answers you and when it is the opposition who not only also hears you but begins to answer also. When Adam prayed to the Lord, the adversary was quick to answer and persist, as those of you who have been through the temple know. May I recommend Joseph Smith's "Try the Spirits."

http://emp.byui.edu/marrottr/TryTheSpirits.pdf

Truly we must be attuned to the Holy Ghost and to have discernment. We may believe that we are hearing the Lord when in fact, we may be hearing the adversary intruding into our prayers and conversations with heaven. Things are not always so black and white and Satan is the master of subtlety. We must recognize when we are drawn to Christ and when we are drawn away from Him.

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

I have been motivated by hearing the word but most faith growth I have received has come from personally studying, then pondering then doing. Actually putting my faith in Christ that everything is going to be alright when it does not appear that is the case or doing things I have felt the spirit tell me to do that do not make sense has increased my faith a lot. The actual practice of faith. When you get around to doing what the spirit tells you to do it is often uncomfortable but then the hand of the Lord is revealed and your faith is increased and there is reward enough for the sometime discomfort of obedience.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

Matt 13:14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

15 For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them."

I think the Temple is central in this process of receiving the grace of faith. Faith is a gift from God, it is a manifestation of his Grace.