Elder Oaks and additional scripture coming forth

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
drtanner
captain of 1,000

Elder Oaks and additional scripture coming forth

Post by drtanner »

Elder Oaks in 2006 said the following in conference:
We conclude from this that the Lord will eventually cause the inspired teachings He has given to His children in various nations to be brought forth for the benefit of all people. This will include accounts of the visit of the resurrected Lord to what we call the lost tribes of Israel and His revelations to all the seed of Abraham.....

When new writings come forth—and according to prophecy they will—we hope they will not be treated with the rejection some applied to the Book of Mormon because they already had a Bible (see 2 Ne. 29:3–10). As the Lord said through a prophet in that book, “And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man” (2 Ne. 29:9).

Truly, the gospel is for all men everywhere—every nation, every people. All are invited.
I would love to know what impressed Elder Oaks to share this council at that time.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Re: Elder Oaks and additional scripture coming forth

Post by Alaris »

drtanner wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 9:48 pm Elder Oaks in 2006 said the following in conference:
We conclude from this that the Lord will eventually cause the inspired teachings He has given to His children in various nations to be brought forth for the benefit of all people. This will include accounts of the visit of the resurrected Lord to what we call the lost tribes of Israel and His revelations to all the seed of Abraham.....

When new writings come forth—and according to prophecy they will—we hope they will not be treated with the rejection some applied to the Book of Mormon because they already had a Bible (see 2 Ne. 29:3–10). As the Lord said through a prophet in that book, “And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man” (2 Ne. 29:9).

Truly, the gospel is for all men everywhere—every nation, every people. All are invited.
I would love to know what impressed Elder Oaks to share this council at that time.
A Book Of Mormon, A Book Of Mormon. We already have a Book Of Mormon and there cannot be any more Book Of Mormon! ;)

:)

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

drtanner wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 9:48 pm Elder Oaks in 2006 said the following in conference:

I do not doubt they will come through authorized channels when they are brought forth.

diligently seeking
captain of 1,000

Post by diligently seeking »

The more sober question ( which learning the answers will solve the conundrums which as a result will produce the fruits of the Kingdom) is the clear message of the book of Mormon which contains the fullness of the gospel which will inspire the genuine reader, studier, and applier to receive the fullness of the gospel: to born of god receive their c&e and second comforter---- this enormously important question is ----why is this powerful book and its powerful message not shared in such away among the religious institution which is the proprietor of it?

2nephi 28 resoundingly speaks not only to the group of people who feel they got a bible and "their all good", type folk, but we latterday gentiles lds church are spoken to warned and counseled profoundly in this chapter about what comes from not seeking searching and receiving... Reading nephi's words in connection with Christ's words in Ether 4 is it any wonder the condemnation remains? (D&C 84

The glorious news is we being where much has been given much is expected group of fortunate souls ---we can have the condemnation lifted promptly if we will just start believing and repenting of our unbelief and let the book speak for itself and not be interpreted by anybody that does not speak by the power of the Holy Ghost.

Ether 4:

And the Lord commanded the brother of Jared to go down out of the mount from the presence of the Lord, and write the things which he had seen; and they were forbidden to come unto the children of men until after that he should be lifted up upon the cross; and for this cause did king Mosiah keep them, that they should not come unto the world until after Christ should show himself unto his people.
2 And after Christ truly had showed himself unto his people he commanded that they should be made manifest.
3 And now, after that, they have all dwindled in unbelief; and there is none save it be the Lamanites, and they have rejected the gospel of Christ; therefore I am commanded that I should hide them up again in the earth.
4 Behold, I have written upon these plates the very things which the brother of Jared saw; and there never were greater things made manifest than those which were made manifest unto the brother of Jared.
5 Wherefore the Lord hath commanded me to write them; and I have written them. And he commanded me that I should seal them up; and he also hath commanded that I should seal up the interpretation thereof; wherefore I have sealed up the interpreters, according to the commandment of the Lord.
6 For the Lord said unto me: They shall not go forth unto the Gentiles until the day that they shall repent of their iniquity, and become clean before the Lord.
7 And in that day that they shall exercise faith in me, saith the Lord, even as the brother of Jared did, that they may become sanctified in me, then will I manifest unto them the things which the brother of Jared saw, even to the unfolding unto them all my revelations, saith Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of the heavens and of the earth, and all things that in them are.
8 And he that will contend against the word of the Lord, let him be accursed; and he that shall deny these things, let him be accursed; for unto them will I show no greater things, saith Jesus Christ; for I am he who speaketh.
9 And at my command the heavens are opened and are shut; and at my word the earth shall shake; and at my command the inhabitants thereof shall pass away, even so as by fire.
10 And he that believeth not my words believeth not my disciples; and if it so be that I do not speak, judge ye; for ye shall know that it is I that speaketh, at the last day.
11 But he that believeth these things which I have spoken, him will I visit with the manifestations of my Spirit, and he shall know and bear record. For because of my Spirit he shall know that these things are true; for it persuadeth men to do good.
12 And whatsoever thing persuadeth men to do good is of me; for good cometh of none save it be of me. I am the same that leadeth men to all good; he that will not believe my words will not believe me—that I am; and he that will not believe me will not believe the Father who sent me. For behold, I am the Father, I am the light, and the life, and the truth of the world.
13 Come unto me, O ye Gentiles, and I will show unto you the greater things, the knowledge which is hid up because of unbelief.
14 Come unto me, O ye house of Israel, and it shall be made manifest unto you how great things the Father hath laid up for you, from the foundation of the world; and it hath not come unto you, because of unbelief.
15 Behold, when ye shall rend that veil of unbelief which doth cause you to remain in your awful state of wickedness, and hardness of heart, and blindness of mind, then shall the great and marvelous things which have been hid up from the foundation of the world from you—yea, when ye shall call upon the Father in my name, with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, then shall ye know that the Father hath remembered the covenant which he made unto your fathers, O house of Israel.

Please read all of 2 nephi 28 :)

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

May I add another passage relevant to Ether 4? The prophet Mormon was in the process of sharing with us all the things, which the brother of Jared saw from the foundation of the world to the end, and also which Jesus expounded to the people at Bountiful who, like the bro of Jared, were partakers of the heavenly gift:
3 Nephi 26:1 And now it came to pass that when Jesus had told these things he expounded them unto the multitude; and he did expound all things unto them, both great and small.

2 And he saith: These scriptures, which ye had not with you, the Father commanded that I should give unto you; for it was wisdom in him that they should be given unto future generations.

3 And he did expound all things, even from the beginning until the time that he should come in his glory—yea, even all things which should come upon the face of the earth, even until the elements should melt with fervent heat, and the earth should be wrapt together as a scroll, and the heavens and the earth should pass away;

4 And even unto the great and last day, when all people, and all kindreds, and all nations and tongues shall stand before God, to be judged of their works, whether they be good or whether they be evil—

5 If they be good, to the resurrection of everlasting life; and if they be evil, to the resurrection of damnation; being on a parallel, the one on the one hand and the other on the other hand, according to the mercy, and the justice, and the holiness which is in Christ, who was before the world began.

6 And now there cannot be written in this book even a hundredth part of the things which Jesus did truly teach unto the people;

7 But behold the plates of Nephi do contain the more part of the things which he taught the people.

8 And these things have I written, which are a lesser part of the things which he taught the people; and I have written them to the intent that they may be brought again unto this people, from the Gentiles, according to the words which Jesus hath spoken.

9 And when they shall have received this, which is expedient that they should have first, to try their faith, and if it shall so be that they shall believe these things then shall the greater things be made manifest unto them.

10 And if it so be that they will not believe these things, then shall the greater things be withheld from them, unto their condemnation.

11 Behold, I was about to write them, all which were engraven upon the plates of Nephi, but the Lord forbade it, saying: I will try the faith of my people.

12 Therefore I, Mormon, do write the things which have been commanded me of the Lord. And now I, Mormon, make an end of my sayings, and proceed to write the things which have been commanded me...
So we get to read what little was commanded Mormon to share with us, but the greater portion was withheld until the "Gentiles" (from Mormon's perspective, the saints of the restoration) will exercise the same faith as the brother of Jared (Ether 4) and BELIEVE as the bro of Jared (Ether 3) that they may RECEIVE according as Jesus declared. But to this day, the majority do not believe and have even cast out from among them, including this forum, those who have believed and DO believe, accusing them of apostasy and other things. There was even a "Heavenly Gift" forum for those who believe as many here remember. Right or wrong, they BELIEVED and still do believe. A small handful have indeed experienced the heavenly gift.
4 Nephi 1:3 And they had all things common among them; therefore there were not rich and poor, bond and free, but they were all made free, and partakers of the heavenly gift.
Ether 12:8 But because of the faith of men he has shown himself unto the world, and glorified the name of the Father, and prepared a way that thereby others might be partakers of the heavenly gift, that they might hope for those things which they have not seen.
JST Hebrews 6:3 And we will go on unto perfection if God permit.

4 For he hath made it impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come...
I hope and pray that those who preside over us in the church teach that we ought to believe these things, and encourage us to rend the "veil of unbelief" and begin to believe that it is God's will that we strive to do these things that the condemnation we are under may be lifted so that we my receive the greater portion promised.
D&C 84:54 And your minds in times past have been darkened because of unbelief, and because you have treated lightly the things you have received

55 Which vanity and unbelief have brought the whole church under condemnation.

56 And this condemnation resteth upon the children of Zion, even all.

57 And they shall remain under this condemnation until they repent and remember the new covenant, even the Book of Mormon and the former commandments which I have given them, not only to say, but to do according to that which I have written...
What is written in the Book of Mormon ought to be clear now. It is clearly spelled out in 3 Nephi 26, Ether chapters 3, 4 and 12, especially chapter 4.

"...not only to say, but to do..."
"...exercise faith..."
"...believe these things..."
"...rend the veil of unbelief..."

I hope and pray that our church leaders begin to exhort the members to not only to say, but to do...and no longer to cast out those who have experienced these things and do experience these things and teach and encourage us to do these things. I understand the controversy that surrounds these things, too. I get it. Nobody wants to be deceived. Nobody wants to kick against the pricks. But we should all have the Holy Ghost and be able to discern for ourselves and do what is right. Let the consequence follow. Lehi gave up his land of inheritance and wealth for this. Nephi slayed Laban for this. Many sacrificed that we may have this. May we not take the record we have lightly anymore and remove the condemnation that rests upon us. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=46383

Teancum
captain of 100

Post by Teancum »

Marc, I understand your desire that all should receive the greater blessings and be released from under the condemnation that we all are under. However, I see it just the same as The City of Zion. There are those who are ready for it, who long for it, who strive for it and then, become impatient and try to do it on their own, or according to their own timetable. It then slowly becomes a pride issue that they as well as others have to deal with. Many are watching and following a perceived strong person because of their claim of X instead of being humble and willing to submit to all God sees fit to inflict.

The same can be applied to additional scripture, C&E, preparedness, principles of liberty, health, dreams and visions, and any other facet of the Gospel. Really it boils down to waiting upon the Lord with faith and patience (i.e. PRAYING without ceasing upon the subject of your desire). That is how the Book of Mormon prophets received their blessings. Any other method or way just seems to gum up the works. So applying pressure to the church leaders to get the results you want seems to me to be the wrong way to go about it.

Instead of wishing that the church leaders would do X, instead pray that the church members would have an increased desire to do X, and then go and do your duty wherever you stand.

Now having said all that, I am a hypocrite, and don't fulfill all that I have been asked to do. I have not fulfilled my calling as a home teacher like I should have done. I am not the husband, son, brother, father, uncle, friend, neighbor that I know I should be. But I want to be better and I pray for strength and ability to do so.

So now back to additional scripture. I do desire to see further scriptures come forth, but according to the Lord's timetable. I have, however, seen greater light and understanding shed on the scriptures that we already have. I think that is key to getting more.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

kenssurplus wrote: February 4th, 2018, 1:38 pm ...Really it boils down to waiting upon the Lord with faith and patience (i.e. PRAYING without ceasing upon the subject of your desire). That is how the Book of Mormon prophets received their blessings. Any other method or way just seems to gum up the works. So applying pressure to the church leaders to get the results you want seems to me to be the wrong way to go about it.

Instead of wishing that the church leaders would do X, instead pray that the church members would have an increased desire to do X, and then go and do your duty wherever you stand...
I really appreciate your thoughts on this. You make very good points, which I've been pondering lately. Thank you, kenssurplus! :)

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

sushi_ is just curious....seems ether 4 mentions the book of revelation/apocalypse, what would be the interpretaion of verse 16 like??

"16 And then shall my revelations which I have caused to be written by my servant John be unfolded in the eyes of all the people. Remember, when ye see these things, ye shall know that the time is at hand that they shall be made manifest in very deed.
" (ether 4)
:arrow:

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

We don't deserve more scripture since we don't follow what we have. I get the feeling when more scripture does come forth, which it will, it will only be because the time has come when the promise must be fulfilled, not because we need more. This is not the fault of church leadership, THEY ARE TEACHING THESE THINGS and WE are failing to DO them.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

sushi_chef wrote: February 4th, 2018, 7:33 pm sushi_ is just curious....seems ether 4 mentions the book of revelation/apocalypse, what would be the interpretaion of verse 16 like??

"16 And then shall my revelations which I have caused to be written by my servant John be unfolded in the eyes of all the people. Remember, when ye see these things, ye shall know that the time is at hand that they shall be made manifest in very deed.
" (ether 4)
The Book of Revelation seems cryptic, though, if I recall, Joseph Smith declared it to be the most plain. In any case, sushi_chef, it isn't explicitly mentioned, but it is implied that what is written there will be included as part of the overarching revelation of all things from the beginning to the end.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Craig Johnson wrote: February 4th, 2018, 7:44 pm We don't deserve more scripture since we don't follow what we have. I get the feeling when more scripture does come forth, which it will, it will only be because the time has come when the promise must be fulfilled, not because we need more. This is not the fault of church leadership, THEY ARE TEACHING THESE THINGS and WE are failing to DO them.
Indeed. Well, at the very least President Ezra Taft Benson taught this. Elder Oaks was, to my knowledge, the last general authority to reemphasize this, but it has been a while since any other General Authority has reminded us.

What did President Ezra Taft Benson have to say about this back in 1986?
President Ezra Taft Benson:

My beloved brethren and sisters, today I would like to speak about one of the most significant gifts given to the world in modern times. The gift I am thinking of is more important than any of the inventions that have come out of the industrial and technological revolutions. This is a gift of greater value to mankind than even the many wonderful advances we have seen in modern medicine. It is of greater worth to mankind than the development of flight or space travel. I speak of the gift of the Book of Mormon, given to mankind 156 years ago...

This gift was prepared by the hand of the Lord over a period of more than a thousand years, then hidden up by Him so that it would be preserved in its purity for our generation. Perhaps there is nothing that testifies more clearly of the importance of this modern book of scripture than what the Lord Himself has said about it...

Think of that in terms of what it implies. The coming forth of the Book of Mormon preceded the restoration of the priesthood. It was published just a few days before the Church was organized. The Saints were given the Book of Mormon to read before they were given the revelations outlining such great doctrines as the three degrees of glory, celestial marriage, or work for the dead. It came before priesthood quorums and Church organization. Doesn’t this tell us something about how the Lord views this sacred work?...

In 1832, as some early missionaries returned from their fields of labor, the Lord reproved them for treating the Book of Mormon lightly. As a result of that attitude, he said, their minds had been darkened. Not only had treating this sacred book lightly brought a loss of light to themselves, it had also brought the whole Church under condemnation, even all the children of Zion. And then the Lord said, “And they shall remain under this condemnation until they repent and remember the new covenant, even the Book of Mormon...

If the early Saints were rebuked for treating the Book of Mormon lightly, are we under any less condemnation if we do the same? The Lord Himself bears testimony that it is of eternal significance. Can a small number of us bring the whole Church under condemnation because we trifle with sacred things? What will we say at the Judgment when we stand before Him and meet His probing gaze if we are among those described as forgetting the new covenant?...

The Book of Mormon: Keystone of our Religion
He goes on to tell us why we need to take the Book of Mormon seriously. Elder Dallin H. Oaks gave a fireside talk, which originated at BYU on June 6, 1993. Some of his words:
Dallin H. Oaks

Along with other General Authorities, I have a clear recollection of the General Authority temple meeting on 5 March 1987. For a year, President Benson had been stressing the reading of the Book of Mormon. Repeatedly he had quoted these verses from the Doctrine and Covenants, including the Lord’s statement that the Saints’ conduct had “brought the whole church under condemnation” (D&C 84:55).

In that temple meeting, President Benson reread those statements and declared, “This condemnation has not been lifted, nor will it be until we repent.” He also repeated his declaration of a year earlier that “in our day the Lord has inspired His servant to reemphasize the Book of Mormon to get the Church out from under condemnation.”

Another Testament of Jesus Christ
It has been twenty-five years since we were last reminded. The ball, it would seem, is collectively in our court.
Last edited by marc on February 4th, 2018, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

I can't say Amen loud enough.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

I find it impressive how long the Book of Ether is, considering the source material was a fraction of 24 golden plates. We understand Moroni abridged the contents that he copied onto the plates Joseph Smith translated, and that other portions of these 24 plates Moroni transcribed comprise half to two thirds of the stack the Book of Mormon was translated from.

I wish I could see those Jaredite plates! I wish I could understand the text! How dense the information must be for so much to be contained on 24 plates that could be transported by one or a few people!

Going to the subject of the original post, since drtanner didn't mention which 2006 conference I chose to go searching. Reading the entirety of the talk, Oaks' purpose seems clear to me. The name of his address is All Men Everywhere, and in the talk he discusses the ideas that the gospel is for all men, that people from all walks of life (even those in countries where Christianity is unknown) are being brought to the truth, and then mentions promises to the descendants of Abraham that all will have the gospel. The scriptures to come forth will show the fulfillment of that promise.

Related to Oaks' talk, but not the subject of this discussion, is an incredible experience a friend had while a child in the USSR. This friend had a vision that led to a sure knowledge of the Father and the Son, but because the father worked for the communist party this person was forbidden from telling anybody other than their parents. Many years later, as an adult, this person met missionaries and was baptized.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

so, then, it is understood, some of the revelations that "will unfolded in the eyes of all the people", have already been fulfilled, right??

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

12 For behold, I shall speak unto the Jews and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the Nephites and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto the other tribes of the house of Israel, which I have led away, and they shall write it; and I shall also speak unto all nations of the earth and they shall write it.
13 And it shall come to pass that the Jews shall have the words of the Nephites, and the Nephites shall have the words of the Jews; and the Nephites and the Jews shall have the words of the lost tribes of Israel; and the lost tribes of Israel shall have the words of the Nephites and the Jews.
14 And it shall come to pass that my people, which are of the house of Israel, shall be gathered home unto the lands of their possessions; and my word also shall be gathered in one. And I will show unto them that fight against my word and against my people, who are of the house of Israel, that I am God, and that I covenanted with Abraham that I would remember his seed forever.
Between what Elder Oaks has shared and what is shared here in second Nephi I can’t imagine this time is that far off. It will be interesting to see if the writings of the others will also be limited by the Lord as to continue to test the faith of those who have the opportunity to receive all of the blessings promised in these books.