Second Coming of The Lord

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Second Coming of The Lord

Post by Craig Johnson »

I have some ideas on when the Lord's second coming will happen, actually not the hour or the day or even the year but I think I can put it within three years. My calculations which are based on a few things that I can mention later put the return to occur by or before 2038. If there is interest in this please tell me your impression, and, if you want to know how I came to this I will fill that in. Thanks!

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Re: Second Coming of The Lord

Post by marc »

This has always been a fascinating topic for me. Another user on here by the name of "friendsofthe" (I think I spelled it right) has done extensive studying and has shared all of it on his blog. Can't quite recall the link, but I'll try and find it.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

Awesome, thanks.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Found it: http://thebridegroomcometh.net/

I really haven't taken the time to check out his writings, but what I appreciate about people like this is the time they take to compile information such as scriptures, talks and sources. We all have varying thoughts and opinions, but it's nice when such resources can be found in one place, making it more efficient for me to form my own thoughts and opinions.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Craig Johnson wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 3:30 pm I have some ideas on when the Lord's second coming will happen, actually not the hour or the day or even the year but I think I can put it within three years. My calculations which are based on a few things that I can mention later put the return to occur by or before 2038. If there is interest in this please tell me your impression, and, if you want to know how I came to this I will fill that in. Thanks!
I would be interested in knowing how you came to this date.

It is within 5 years of 2033, a popular year for predicting his return.

DesertWonderer2
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer2 »

Craig Johnson wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 3:30 pm I have some ideas on when the Lord's second coming will happen, actually not the hour or the day or even the year but I think I can put it within three years. My calculations which are based on a few things that I can mention later put the return to occur by or before 2038. If there is interest in this please tell me your impression, and, if you want to know how I came to this I will fill that in. Thanks!
Share away!

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Spill it :P

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

Okay, just got back from dinner! Well, without a lot of references here is the skinny of it. From the writings of Elder Bruce R. McConkie I found that a strong line of reasoning is that many scripturists were fairly convinced that the event would happen by 2004 due to problems with the calendars and using a base start date of 2,000 years from the year of the Lord's birth. I ruminated on that for several years and thought what if we should be counting from the time of his decease? (Then 2004 came and went, then 2007, 2008...) With the calendar issues that would push it to about 2037. I then figured that due to some scriptural statements it could happen sooner (for instance Matthew 24:22) and that it could actually occur before 2037. Then I thought that I may not have been generous enough with the calendar and should maybe give it one more year or 2038. I realize this is completely unfounded and most likely totally wrong, but it was fun and you never know! I currently want to think it will happen on or before 2038.

DesertWonderer2
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer2 »

Your guess is as good as anybody’s.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

That is true.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

A lot people think the same thing as you. I've estimated around 2100 AD

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

That makes feel better. I did not know that!

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Craig Johnson wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 9:09 pm Okay, just got back from dinner! Well, without a lot of references here is the skinny of it. From the writings of Elder Bruce R. McConkie I found that a strong line of reasoning is that many scripturists were fairly convinced that the event would happen by 2004 due to problems with the calendars and using a base start date of 2,000 years from the year of the Lord's birth. I ruminated on that for several years and thought what if we should be counting from the time of his decease? (Then 2004 came and went, then 2007, 2008...) With the calendar issues that would push it to about 2037. I then figured that due to some scriptural statements it could happen sooner (for instance Matthew 24:22) and that it could actually occur before 2037. Then I thought that I may not have been generous enough with the calendar and should maybe give it one more year or 2038. I realize this is completely unfounded and most likely totally wrong, but it was fun and you never know! I currently want to think it will happen on or before 2038.
What sources are you talking about from Bruce R. and others who thought it would happen by 2004?

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

That will take me some time to look up, give me a day or two. If I can find it faster I will post.

letsjet
captain of 100

Post by letsjet »

I have always been interested in the Second Coming. It took me a while before I realized that there are actually two Second Comings.

The first visit by Christ will be to the Jews in Jerusalem after part of the city is taken by an invading army. For 3.5 years two prophets will keep this massive army from capturing the rest of the city.

This evil army will eventually succeed in killing these two prophets and their bodies will lie in the street for 3.5 days until they are resurrected and ascend into heaven. (For 3.5 years no weapon in their arsenal could defeat these two prophets. Perhaps it will take a Tactical Nuclear weapon to kill them and because their bodies are radioactive that's why they will leave them in the street. Such a weapon would also wipe out the Dome of the Rock.)

Sometime after their departure into heaven this army will decide that its time to finish off the Jews once and for all.

They will start their attack. At this point Christ makes his appearance. When His feet touch the Mount of Olives it splits in half. The Jews flee into the valley created by the earthquake. At this point they realize that Jesus Christ is their Messiah.

Then each man in the Jewish army is given "the strength of David" and they launch a counter-attack and defeat this evil army. Only one sixth of the army of their enemy survives.

The Jews are now all Christians and they become missionaries and spread the word that their Messiah has come. People will seek out the Jews. They will want to hear about how their Messiah saved them.

During this period they will spend 7 years burning the weapons of war.

One thing that I discovered recently is that the so-called Temple Mount is actually the remains of a Roman fort called Fort Antonio. The Jewish Temple was built over the Gihon Springs which is quite a distance from the so-called Temple Mount. This piece of ground is not owned or controlled by the Arabs, which means that there is nothing to stop the Jews from building their Temple.

Anyway, as far as the Second Coming is concerned, when we see two prophets keeping a huge army from destroying Jerusalem we have a minimum of 3.5 years before Christ comes to Jerusalem to save the Jews and at least 10.5 years before his Coming in Glory to all the world.

friendsofthe
captain of 1,000

Post by friendsofthe »

Marc wrote:
Found it: http://thebridegroomcometh.net/

I really haven't taken the time to check out his writings, but what I appreciate about people like this is the time they take to compile information such as scriptures, talks and sources. We all have varying thoughts and opinions, but it's nice when such resources can be found in one place, making it more efficient for me to form my own thoughts and opinions.
I believe that the scriptural signs and words of the prophets place the Second Coming much closer than most of you. I’m going to say that we are on the very precipice of destruction for the wicked and deliverance for the righteous. I expect to see the coming of the Bridegroom in the fall of 2020.

A recent blog of mine expounded upon Ezra Taft Benson’s teachings of just who is the generation of the Second Coming and what conditions leading up to that great event will be. The evens we see in the news today are the fulfillment of Elder Benson’s predictions. Includes is a video segment of Thomas S Monson as well…

Check out the blog at: http://thebridegroomcometh.net/the-task ... -any-time/

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

Sarah wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 10:12 pm
Craig Johnson wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 9:09 pm Okay, just got back from dinner! Well, without a lot of references here is the skinny of it. From the writings of Elder Bruce R. McConkie I found that a strong line of reasoning is that many scripturists were fairly convinced that the event would happen by 2004 due to problems with the calendars and using a base start date of 2,000 years from the year of the Lord's birth. I ruminated on that for several years and thought what if we should be counting from the time of his decease? (Then 2004 came and went, then 2007, 2008...) With the calendar issues that would push it to about 2037. I then figured that due to some scriptural statements it could happen sooner (for instance Matthew 24:22) and that it could actually occur before 2037. Then I thought that I may not have been generous enough with the calendar and should maybe give it one more year or 2038. I realize this is completely unfounded and most likely totally wrong, but it was fun and you never know! I currently want to think it will happen on or before 2038.
What sources are you talking about from Bruce R. and others who thought it would happen by 2004?
I have bad news. My reference material that I remembered is no longer available to me. I left my library with my aunt in 1978 due to Navy stuff and while I was gone she moved. During the move all of my books were lost (I think inadvertently thrown away) but a few which were not the ones I needed for this reply. The info is still out there though and maybe someone else has their finger on it? Anyway, my only point is I think the second coming will happen by or before 2038. Sorry, cause what he had to say was really fascinating.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

letsjet wrote: February 4th, 2018, 10:44 am I have always been interested in the Second Coming. It took me a while before I realized that there are actually two Second Comings.

The first visit by Christ will be to the Jews in Jerusalem after part of the city is taken by an invading army. For 3.5 years two prophets will keep this massive army from capturing the rest of the city.

This evil army will eventually succeed in killing these two prophets and their bodies will lie in the street for 3.5 days until they are resurrected and ascend into heaven. (For 3.5 years no weapon in their arsenal could defeat these two prophets. Perhaps it will take a Tactical Nuclear weapon to kill them and because their bodies are radioactive that's why they will leave them in the street. Such a weapon would also wipe out the Dome of the Rock.)

Sometime after their departure into heaven this army will decide that its time to finish off the Jews once and for all.

They will start their attack. At this point Christ makes his appearance. When His feet touch the Mount of Olives it splits in half. The Jews flee into the valley created by the earthquake. At this point they realize that Jesus Christ is their Messiah.
This is not an additional Second Coming any more than the Savior appearing to Joseph Smith or Lorenzo Snow was a Second Coming. This is a step in converting the House of Judah to the Christ. At this point the planet won't be converted to its terrestrial state.
One thing that I discovered recently is that the so-called Temple Mount is actually the remains of a Roman fort called Fort Antonio. The Jewish Temple was built over the Gihon Springs which is quite a distance from the so-called Temple Mount. This piece of ground is not owned or controlled by the Arabs, which means that there is nothing to stop the Jews from building their Temple.
Source?

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Craig Johnson wrote: February 4th, 2018, 4:24 pm
I have bad news. My reference material that I remembered is no longer available to me. I left my library with my aunt in 1978 due to Navy stuff and while I was gone she moved. During the move all of my books were lost (I think inadvertently thrown away) but a few which were not the ones I needed for this reply. The info is still out there though and maybe someone else has their finger on it? Anyway, my only point is I think the second coming will happen by or before 2038. Sorry, cause what he had to say was really fascinating.
That's what I thought. Thanks Am.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

Okay...but I am still looking through my discs. I am not smart enough to make this up.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Craig Johnson wrote: February 4th, 2018, 4:24 pm
Is this what you were thinking of? Not 2004 exactly, but he does seem to indicate after 2000.
In an April 1843 general conference speech, Joseph Smith predicted that Jesus Christ would not return before he would reach the age of 85. He said, “Were I going to prophesy, I would say the end [of the world] would not come in 1844, 5, or 6, or in forty years. There are those of the rising generation who shall not taste death till Christ comes… I prophesy in the name of the Lord God, and let it be written-the Son of Man will not come in the clouds of heaven till I am eighty-five years old” (History of the Church 5:336).

Mormon Apostle Bruce R. McConkie noted that the “rising generation” spoken of by Smith referred to the children born on April 6, 1843. He explained that these would be the first members of the rising generation and that “all children born, however many years later, to the same parents would still be members of that same rising generation.”

McConkie believed that “it is not unreasonable to suppose that many young men had babies at the time of this prophecy and also had other children as much as 50 or 75 years later, assuming for instance that they were married again to younger women. This very probable assumption would bring the date up to, say, the 2nd decade in the 20th century — and the children so born would be members of that same rising generation of which the Prophet spoke. Now if these children lived to the normal age of men generally they would be alive well past the year 2000 A.D.” (Mormon Doctrine pp. 692-693).

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

Wow, no I have not read that and I have read in the Mormon Doctrine countless times. The stuff I am referring to has some references in it to others figuring out that the calendar is about four years out of whack and Elder McConkie (I hope it was him at this point!) does some speaking about the meridian of time being four thousand years from exiting the Garden and making it plausible, had really good arguments and then that two thousand years is appropriate after a four thousand year BC epoch, and of course the seven thousand year wrapping up pretty much dictated the second coming happen near that point.

friendsofthe
captain of 1,000

Post by friendsofthe »

There have been many try to predict the Second Coming based on the idea that the Lord would return after 2000 years. Does anyone know what prophecy or statement this is based on?

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Craig Johnson wrote: February 4th, 2018, 7:33 pm Wow, no I have not read that and I have read in the Mormon Doctrine countless times. The stuff I am referring to has some references in it to others figuring out that the calendar is about four years out of whack and Elder McConkie (I hope it was him at this point!) does some speaking about the meridian of time being four thousand years from exiting the Garden and making it plausible, had really good arguments and then that two thousand years is appropriate after a four thousand year BC epoch, and of course the seven thousand year wrapping up pretty much dictated the second coming happen near that point.
You might be referring to those who site Joseph of Aremthea, he dates king Herods death at 4 B.C. if the year is of concern that is a place to start but it is also debatable. I choose to look at events and history as a guide to where we are at. Live today like He is coming tomorrow and you will be prepared to meet Him on either side of the veil, after all isn't that all that matters.

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

friendsofthe wrote: February 4th, 2018, 9:38 pm There have been many try to predict the Second Coming based on the idea that the Lord would return after 2000 years. Does anyone know what prophecy or statement this is based on?
Well you have the seven thousand year thing with the seven seals. Each seal represents a period of seven thousand years, we are apparently living in the period pertaining to the sixth seal.