Second Coming of The Lord

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Michelle
captain of 1,000

Re: Second Coming of The Lord

Post by Michelle »

kittycat51 wrote: February 5th, 2018, 9:27 am
letsjet wrote: February 4th, 2018, 10:44 am Anyway, as far as the Second Coming is concerned, when we see two prophets keeping a huge army from destroying Jerusalem we have a minimum of 3.5 years before Christ comes to Jerusalem to save the Jews and at least 10.5 years before his Coming in Glory to all the world.
First when this does happen, I don't believe the Church will announce sending 2 over there. (or that it's happening) And second, mains stream media probably would never report something spectacular like this occurring. :o
It's kind of fuzzy, but I remember years ago the church announced sending, or assigning or something, general authorities 2 at a time for areas. I remember the gasps I heard when they said it. Can anybody help clarify what I am remembering?

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

I'm not the only one with a remembering problem? Thank goodness!

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

Sarah wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 10:12 pm
Craig Johnson wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 9:09 pm Okay, just got back from dinner! Well, without a lot of references here is the skinny of it. From the writings of Elder Bruce R. McConkie I found that a strong line of reasoning is that many scripturists were fairly convinced that the event would happen by 2004 due to problems with the calendars and using a base start date of 2,000 years from the year of the Lord's birth. I ruminated on that for several years and thought what if we should be counting from the time of his decease? (Then 2004 came and went, then 2007, 2008...) With the calendar issues that would push it to about 2037. I then figured that due to some scriptural statements it could happen sooner (for instance Matthew 24:22) and that it could actually occur before 2037. Then I thought that I may not have been generous enough with the calendar and should maybe give it one more year or 2038. I realize this is completely unfounded and most likely totally wrong, but it was fun and you never know! I currently want to think it will happen on or before 2038.
What sources are you talking about from Bruce R. and others who thought it would happen by 2004?
Okay, been working on this a while and am still not done, however to my chagrin my memory of what I read was incorrect, so far what I have found is in The Mortal Messiah, Book 1 and is in the Jesus is Born Chapter 20 footnote, bottom of page 349. I was remembering backwards, which I do often, rather than the birth of the Savior being in 4 AD, it is suspected it could 8 years earlier in 4 BC. So, I would modify my unofficial prediction to 2030 (or before), which strangely enough is exactly 200 years from the organization of the Church. And of course I realize that I could be way off. Sorry about how long it has taken me to find this and that you were not happy that I could not remember my source.