D&C 50: Unto what were YE ordained?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

D&C 50: Unto what were YE ordained?

Post by marc »

In light of the cycles of meanness and unkindness shown to those who may or do err in doctrine on this forum, let's remember section 50 of the Doctrine and Covenants:
D&C 50:1 Hearken, O ye elders of my church, and give ear to the voice of the living God; and attend to the words of wisdom which shall be given unto you, according as ye have asked and are agreed as touching the church, and the spirits which have gone abroad in the earth.

2 Behold, verily I say unto you, that there are many spirits which are false spirits, which have gone forth in the earth, deceiving the world.

3 And also Satan hath sought to deceive you, that he might overthrow you.

4 Behold, I, the Lord, have looked upon you, and have seen abominations in the church that profess my name.
There are many who err in doctrine. I have been guilty of this and I don't know anyone here who is not guilty of believing false doctrine or whose minds are not darkened. Keep in mind until one rends the veil of unbelief, one remains in his/her hardness of heart, blindness of mind and awful state of wickedness. That very likely means 99% of us. We are all sinners and in dire need of Jesus Christ's grace. Because of the fall of Adam, we are all fallen and thus wicked and carnal, natural enemies of God.
5 But blessed are they who are faithful and endure, whether in life or in death, for they shall inherit eternal life.

6 But wo unto them that are deceivers and hypocrites, for, thus saith the Lord, I will bring them to judgment.
We are quick to point out the deceivers in our midst, yet forget that we are all hypocrites. Labels are applied and accusations are leveled, resulting in the stirring up of contentions and disputations. Disagreeing is not enough. Disparaging comments must be meted out by such hypocrites.
7 Behold, verily I say unto you, there are hypocrites among you, who have deceived some, which has given the adversary power; but behold such shall be reclaimed;
Hypocrites deceive others into likewise pointing fingers and engaging in railing accusations, giving the adversary power over their hearts to fill them with hatred, or at least anything other than the pure love of Christ. But those who have been seduced may be reclaimed by the Lord who sees the heart.
8 But the hypocrites shall be detected and shall be cut off, either in life or in death, even as I will; and wo unto them who are cut off from my church, for the same are overcome of the world.

9 Wherefore, let every man beware lest he do that which is not in truth and righteousness before me.
The smug and sanctimonious and self righteous and holier-than-thou Pharisees will be exposed by the Lord.
10 And now come, saith the Lord, by the Spirit, unto the elders of his church, and let us reason together, that ye may understand;

11 Let us reason even as a man reasoneth one with another face to face.

12 Now, when a man reasoneth he is understood of man, because he reasoneth as a man; even so will I, the Lord, reason with you that you may understand.
It is easy to mistreat others behind the anonymity of the internet. But the Lord invites us to reason together as friends who converse face to face, by the Spirit. To such will the Lord show patience and teach him or her by the Spirit.
13 Wherefore, I the Lord ask you this question—unto what were ye ordained?

14 To preach my gospel by the Spirit, even the Comforter which was sent forth to teach the truth.
The Lord endorses a singular method of teaching: by the Spirit; by the Holy Ghost; by the Comforter only. Who of us was ordained by the priesthood to teach by contention? By exercising authority? By force? By humiliation? By accusation and disputation? Who was ordained to label others or to insult them and to make them feel unloved? IF nobody, then WHY do you do it?
15 And then received ye spirits which ye could not understand, and received them to be of God; and in this are ye justified?
Do you feel superior when teaching by the spirit of contention? By the spirit of lies? By false spirits?
16 Behold ye shall answer this question yourselves; nevertheless, I will be merciful unto you; he that is weak among you hereafter shall be made strong.

17 Verily I say unto you, he that is ordained of me and sent forth to preach the word of truth by the Comforter, in the Spirit of truth, doth he preach it by the Spirit of truth or some other way?

18 And if it be by some other way it is not of God.
And even if you are correct in your reproof, if you did not teach and preach and exhort and expound by the Holy Ghost, by what spirit did you teach if not with love? Then what is that spirit that is possessing you to do such things? And if not of God, then to whom are you subject? What spirit have you give power over you?
19 And again, he that receiveth the word of truth, doth he receive it by the Spirit of truth or some other way?

20 If it be some other way it is not of God.
Therefore, if those whom you have contended against have agreed with you, and still have not received it by the Spirit, it is not of God. The blind lead the blind and both fall into the ditch.
21 Therefore, why is it that ye cannot understand and know, that he that receiveth the word by the Spirit of truth receiveth it as it is preached by the Spirit of truth?

22 Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together.

23 And that which doth not edify is not of God, and is darkness.

24 That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.

25 And again, verily I say unto you, and I say it that you may know the truth, that you may chase darkness from among you...
If you love one another and strive to correct one another, let it be done by the Spirit that both may be edified and that both may grow in the bonds of love. To do otherwise is to be subject to the devil who will make you his. The devil is a liar and an accuser. By your fruits do you reveal whose servant you truly are. Your lips may profess the Lord, but your hearts are from Him. May we all as hypocrites be reclaimed by a merciful God.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Re: D&C 50: Unto what were YE ordained?

Post by drtanner »

Thank you Marc, this is a wonderful reminder, especially for myself who can easily get caught up in the thick of thin things when trying to discuss the gospel with those of differing opinions. It has inspired me to try harder at how I approach others here.
Last edited by drtanner on February 10th, 2018, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Post by BruceRGilbert »

Bump

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Apparently contention is popular and kindness is not.

-Finrock

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

What bothers me is how our culture treats those lost in sin. If we take on the name of Jesus, Jesus believes that inasmuch as we have done it unto the least of these my brethren, we have done it unto him. I don't think we were up in heaven shouting hurray at coming to earth so we could be saved and watch our brothers and sisters fall and go to hell. We must have promised each other we would be there for each other, that we would make sure they didn't fall and if they did that we would help them make it back.

The way we dismiss people in the pain and unbearable pressure of sin, and expect the branch of psychology to take care of it all hurts my heart.

We are here to love each other, not name each others' flaws and point out their sins, kicking them while they are down just to make us feel less guilty in our pride.

If the sinner was me, I would do anything to help them get back. Maybe even die for them. And that is how Jesus sees each one of us. He loves us as much as His own soul.

I hope we can stop being self righteous and start having compassion for the lost sheep. I hope we can stop giving up on each other and love each other, no matter our sins, even the very least of us.

Would there be any other way to replace darkness with light?