Progression from Telestial Kingdom

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
True
captain of 100

Re: Progression from Telestial Kingdom

Post by True »

Read section 76 where it basically hints that the vast majority of people will go to the telestial kingdom. Everyone who has ever lived will get their temple work done, does that mean everyone will end up in the celestial kingdom? 76 seems to say ‘no’. I am assuming most of the people I do work for are going to the telestial kingdom since that is where most people go. I started looking at it as a starting place.

No one can be saved without accepting Christ and his atonement and being washed in the blood of Christ. (Alma 5). And the dead who repent and are made clean by Christ are redeemed through obedience to the ordinances of the house of God (D&C 138). The ordinances of the house of God do not stop at the telestial kingdom. That is where they start.

Hope that makes sense.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

True wrote: January 31st, 2018, 7:33 pm Read section 76 where it basically hints that the vast majority of people will go to the telestial kingdom. Everyone who has ever lived will get their temple work done, does that mean everyone will end up in the celestial kingdom? 76 seems to say ‘no’. I am assuming most of the people I do work for are going to the telestial kingdom since that is where most people go. I started looking at it as a starting place.

No one can be saved without accepting Christ and his atonement and being washed in the blood of Christ. (Alma 5). And the dead who repent and are made clean by Christ are redeemed through obedience to the ordinances of the house of God (D&C 138). The ordinances of the house of God do not stop at the telestial kingdom. That is where they start.

Hope that makes sense.
I don't see the hint you mention, and I don't believe it is true. Look at how many people died before reaching the age of 8. In some places in the last few hundred years that was well over 50%. I expect that everybody born during the Millennium will be going to the Celestial Kingdom, just as the first generation of Nephites born after Christ visited seem to fit this description. But the Millennium lasts for around 1,000 years and I expect the total number of births will have dwarfed the number of people born in the last 2,000 years. And I have the understanding that murder victims, plus victims of war, will have their sins placed on the heads of those responsible for causing the war or murder so they will be fast tracked for exaltation.

Furthermore, didn't we have a general authority claim the missionary success rate in the spirit world exceeds 90%?

When I joined the church, when I went on a mission, the discussion booklets had a triangle diagram. The big bottom section referred to the people going to the Telestial Kingdom, the smaller but substantial middle was people going to the Terrestrial Kingdom, and the special few at the top go to the Celestial Kingdom. The more I progress, the more convinced I am that this diagram is upside down.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

brianj wrote: January 31st, 2018, 10:04 pm
True wrote: January 31st, 2018, 7:33 pm Read section 76 where it basically hints that the vast majority of people will go to the telestial kingdom. Everyone who has ever lived will get their temple work done, does that mean everyone will end up in the celestial kingdom? 76 seems to say ‘no’. I am assuming most of the people I do work for are going to the telestial kingdom since that is where most people go. I started looking at it as a starting place.

Hope that makes sense.
I don't see the hint you mention, and I don't believe it is true. Look at how many people died before reaching the age of 8. In some places in the last few hundred years that was well over 50%. I expect that everybody born during the Millennium will be going to the Celestial Kingdom, just as the first generation of Nephites born after Christ visited seem to fit this description. But the Millennium lasts for around 1,000 years and I expect the total number of births will have dwarfed the number of people born in the last 2,000 years. And I have the understanding that murder victims, plus victims of war, will have their sins placed on the heads of those responsible for causing the war or murder so they will be fast tracked for exaltation.

Furthermore, didn't we have a general authority claim the missionary success rate in the spirit world exceeds 90%?

When I joined the church, when I went on a mission, the discussion booklets had a triangle diagram. The big bottom section referred to the people going to the Telestial Kingdom, the smaller but substantial middle was people going to the Terrestrial Kingdom, and the special few at the top go to the Celestial Kingdom. The more I progress, the more convinced I am that this diagram is upside down.
Exactly. The work of salvation that takes place during the Millennium will raise many of God's children to His presence, forever, to go no more out. We are commanded to seek out our dead now, but the current numbers will be dwarfed, to use your descriptive phrase, by what is accomplished in the Millennium.

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

brianj wrote: January 31st, 2018, 10:04 pm

Hope that makes sense.

Here is what I am referring to from section 76:
109 But behold, and lo, we saw the glory and the inhabitants of the telestial world, that they were as innumerable as the stars in the firmament of heaven, or as the sand upon the seashore;

It does not make a reference to number for any other kingdom.

It is true that roughly half have died before 8. Because of that and because the gospel has not been preached to most of the world throughout all the history of the world, there is a lot more to just coming and getting a body than we even realize - although all have the light of Christ.

But that is what I am saying. I think there is a lot of progression in the next life and that a lot more people will end up in the celestial kingdom. My work in the temple and the scriptures I referenced convinced me of that.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

True wrote: February 1st, 2018, 7:45 am Here is what I am referring to from section 76:
109 But behold, and lo, we saw the glory and the inhabitants of the telestial world, that they were as innumerable as the stars in the firmament of heaven, or as the sand upon the seashore;

It does not make a reference to number for any other kingdom.

It is true that roughly half have died before 8. Because of that and because the gospel has not been preached to most of the world throughout all the history of the world, there is a lot more to just coming and getting a body than we even realize - although all have the light of Christ.

But that is what I am saying. I think there is a lot of progression in the next life and that a lot more people will end up in the celestial kingdom. My work in the temple and the scriptures I referenced convinced me of that.
What's innumberable to Joseph Smith? If he saw all of the ~1,100,000,000 people alive in 1832, would he consider that number innumberable or easy to count? Most people can't really conceive of what a billion is. A stack of 1.1 billion $1 bills would be about 74.7 miles high.
And are the people in the Telestial Kingdom Smith saw only those from our planet or the entire population of that kingdom?