Turning a blind eye to modern prophets

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
drtanner
captain of 1,000

Turning a blind eye to modern prophets

Post by drtanner »

With the recent announcement of a new prophet it is interesting to see the natural sentiment occur on the forum for the men who lead the church. Can a true follower of Christ really turn a blind eye to these individuals?

I think it is interesting how some individuals have no problem sharing stories of individuals who have found Christ from all walks of life but when it comes to sharing something from these men there is hesitation. Almost a feeling of resentment. There seems to be a knee jerk reaction when anything is posted that has the flavor of, "don't listen to them" only follow Christ. As if these men are not doing all in there power to point us in his direction. Sometimes random obscure quotes that try and make people think they are looking for adulation and pointing people to them and not Christ.

Let's assume for a second that we didn't need the priesthood authority in the Church (which I do not believe) But lest assume that was true, would we still not want to highlight things these men say about Christ at least some of the time? Like this from President Faust:
During the years of my life, and often in my present calling, and especially during a recent Gethsemane, I have gone to my knees with a humble spirit to the only place I could for help. I often went in agony of spirit, earnestly pleading with God to sustain me in the work I have come to appreciate more than life itself. I have, on occasion, felt the terrible aloneness of the wounds of the heart, of the sweet agony, the buffetings of Satan, and the encircling warm comfort of the Spirit of the Master.

I have also felt the crushing burden, the self-doubts of inadequacy and unworthiness, the fleeting feeling of being forsaken, then of being reinforced an hundredfold. I have climbed a spiritual Mount Sinai dozens of times seeking to communicate and to receive instructions. It has been as though I have struggled up an almost real Mount of Transfiguration and upon occasion felt great strength and power in the presence of the Divine. A special sacred feeling has been a sustaining influence and often a close companion.
If you have a hard time acknowledging that these men Love Christ or have a hard time sharing things they say about him, what else is that saying?

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Re: Turning a blind eye to modern prophets

Post by Finrock »

drtanner wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 12:34 pm With the recent announcement of a new prophet it is interesting to see the natural sentiment occur on the forum for the men who lead the church. Can a true follower of Christ really turn a blind eye to these individuals?

I think it is interesting how some individuals have no problem sharing stories of individuals who have found Christ from all walks of life but when it comes to sharing something from these men there is hesitation. Almost a feeling of resentment. There seems to be a knee jerk reaction when anything is posted that has the flavor of, "don't listen to them" only follow Christ. As if these men are not doing all in there power to point us in his direction. Sometimes random obscure quotes that try and make people think they are looking for adulation and pointing people to them and not Christ.
God said to love your neighbor as yourself. God said that love your enemy and do good to those who despitefully use you. God said we ought not to esteem one flesh above another and that He is no respecter of persons.

Can a true follower of Christ really turn a blind eye to any individual, feel resentment towards them, hate them, or not respect them and recognize them as a spirit brother/sister, and treat them as co-equals? Can a true follower of Christ place one man above another man by treating one with adulation, respect, and honor, while treating another with contempt, disdain, and disrespect?

-Finrock

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

drtanner, you nailed it. Great post. With a testimony, we can take comfort in knowing that God lives and that He calls His servants, the prophets, ancient and modern, to support Him in His mighty work which is found in Moses 1:39.

For those who choose to separate themselves from the blessings of a prophet, I can just see in my mind's eye the Savior saying, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

PressingForward
captain of 100

Post by PressingForward »

Finrock wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 12:45 pm
Can a true follower of Christ really turn a blind eye to any individual, feel resentment towards them, hate them, or not respect them and recognize them as a spirit brother/sister, and treat them as co-equals? Can a true follower of Christ place one man above another man by treating one with adulation, respect, and honor, while treating another with contempt, disdain, and disrespect?

-Finrock
Spot on!

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

People obviously do not understand the way God leads his people. I don't know how many times I have run into members who profess to be in good standing with the LDS church but have a problem with "FOLLOWING THE PROPHET". That phrase (thought) truly disturbs them. Like in the days of the apostle Paul. He is the one who prophesied of a falling away from the church and it seems to me that we are still having that problem. There is so many reasons why we need a prophet. One of them is because people are too weak - SPIRITUALLY. Following the prophet is nothing new! 1 Corinthians 11:1: Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

God said to love your neighbor as yourself. God said that love your enemy and do good to those who despitefully use you. God said we ought not to esteem one flesh above another and that He is no respecter of persons. I agree

Can a true follower of Christ really turn a blind eye to any individual, feel resentment towards them, hate them, or not respect them and recognize them as a spirit brother/sister, and treat them as co-equals? No they can not Can a true follower of Christ place one man above another man by treating one with adulation, respect, and honor, while treating another with contempt, disdain, and disrespect? No a true follower can not do these things, and I hope you don't mistake my original post to mean that we look at prophets any differently from anyone else in terms of the love we should have for them, that couldn't be further from the truth or point intended.

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

Post by Kingdom of ZION »

Did I tell you that I am expert Piano Tuner and know the business very well? Yeah..I've got this friend who told me all about the Piano Tuning Business and I am now in business and make my living doing that. He said, just buy a tuning fork for the different keys, and then you strike the different tuning forks and then listen to the key on the piano and adjust the wire that is plucked by that key until it sounds the same. You do that with each key and then by that means you tune the piano.

Then you send an invoice to the guy that owns the piano for about $200 for your time tuning the piano. The equipment is cheap and you just have to put your name in the newspaper that you tune pianos and wait for the phone calls and money to come rolling in.

I LOVE it. Such a simple profession, this Piano Tuning business. And I want you to know I AFFIRM and SUSTAIN my Piano Tuning Teacher as a TRUE Piano Tuning Teacher. He KNOWS the business!!!!

Some other piano tuning guys said I had to read some books about piano tuning. NO. I don't need to read or study no stinkin' books. I know what my Piano Tuning Teacher told me is the TRUTH as I know he would never lead me astray about Piano Tuning. So I am going to put my trust in his Piano Tuning counsel and go forward. He has me attend some Piano Tuning class for three hours every Sunday and we sit around and we talk about Piano Tuning for a little bit, shoot the breeze, kick back, tell a few Piano Tuning Stories and smile a lot at each other. But read and study the books? Nahhh, we don't need to do that. We are already ALL experts in the Piano Tuning Business. And my Piano Tuning Teacher already has it all figured out, so all I have to do is to listen to him every once in a while give a talk on Piano Tuning and I am good to go.

How do you think I will do in the Piano Tuning Business?

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Kingdom of ZION wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 7:22 pm Did I tell you that I am expert Piano Tuner and know the business very well? Yeah..I've got this friend who told me all about the Piano Tuning Business and I am now in business and make my living doing that. He said, just buy a tuning fork for the different keys, and then you strike the different tuning forks and then listen to the key on the piano and adjust the wire that is plucked by that key until it sounds the same. You do that with each key and then by that means you tune the piano.

Then you send an invoice to the guy that owns the piano for about $200 for your time tuning the piano. The equipment is cheap and you just have to put your name in the newspaper that you tune pianos and wait for the phone calls and money to come rolling in.

I LOVE it. Such a simple profession, this Piano Tuning business. And I want you to know I AFFIRM and SUSTAIN my Piano Tuning Teacher as a TRUE Piano Tuning Teacher. He KNOWS the business!!!!

Some other piano tuning guys said I had to read some books about piano tuning. NO. I don't need to read or study no stinkin' books. I know what my Piano Tuning Teacher told me is the TRUTH as I know he would never lead me astray about Piano Tuning. So I am going to put my trust in his Piano Tuning counsel and go forward. He has me attend some Piano Tuning class for three hours every Sunday and we sit around and we talk about Piano Tuning for a little bit, shoot the breeze, kick back, tell a few Piano Tuning Stories and smile a lot at each other. But read and study the books? Nahhh, we don't need to do that. We are already ALL experts in the Piano Tuning Business. And my Piano Tuning Teacher already has it all figured out, so all I have to do is to listen to him every once in a while give a talk on Piano Tuning and I am good to go.

With that kind of Piano Tuner Mentor not so well. I'm just grateful my piano tuner friend counsels me to read the books and not just listen to him alone. In fact it was his one of his pleas in and last bit of counsel in his mortal life:
It is essential for you to have your own testimony in these difficult times, for the testimonies of others will carry you only so far. However, once obtained, a testimony needs to be kept vital and alive through continued obedience to the commandments of God and through daily prayer and scripture study.

My dear associates in the work of the Lord, I implore each of us to prayerfully study and ponder the Book of Mormon each day. As we do so, we will be in a position to hear the voice of the Spirit, to resist temptation, to overcome doubt and fear, and to receive heaven’s help in our lives. I so testify with all my heart in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

You can be ordained or set apart (President Nelson is not quit sure which) as the president of the church. You cannot be ordained or set apart to be a prophet. That only comes from God.
All the prophets had the Melchizedek Priesthood and were ordained by God himself (Joseph Smith)
Matthew 7: 20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

abijah
pleb in zion

Post by abijah »

investigator wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 9:50 pm You can be ordained or set apart (President Nelson is not quit sure which) as the president of the church. You cannot be ordained or set apart to be a prophet. That only comes from God.
All the prophets had the Melchizedek Priesthood and were ordained by God himself (Joseph Smith)
There's an important distinction between a President and a Prophet.

mcusick
captain of 100

Post by mcusick »

LdsMarco wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 5:54 pm Following the prophet is nothing new! 1 Corinthians 11:1: Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
Paul makes a qualified statement. The current lds church has no level of qualification.

I think it would be disingenuous to claim the two messages are the same. Paul actions match his words. Paul brags about standing up against Peter when Peter treated Jews and Gentiles differently. But you are free to correlate Paul's words into the latest iteration of gospel messaging.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

abijah wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 9:55 pm
investigator wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 9:50 pm You can be ordained or set apart (President Nelson is not quit sure which) as the president of the church. You cannot be ordained or set apart to be a prophet. That only comes from God.
Good point. Which is why I raise my hand without hesitation to sustain President Nelson as a Prophet. The fruits are evident.

PressingForward
captain of 100

Post by PressingForward »

Without a doubt President Nelson is a Prophet of God!

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

drtanner wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 12:34 pm With the recent announcement of a new prophet it is interesting to see the natural sentiment occur on the forum for the men who lead the church. Can a true follower of Christ really turn a blind eye to these individuals?

God said to love your neighbor as yourself. God said that love your enemy and do good to those who despitefully use you. God said we ought not to esteem one flesh above another and that He is no respecter of persons.

-Finrock
Yes very easily - It is a responsibility of Israel to set a watchman on the tower and see that no ravaging wolf or wolf in sheep's clothing enter the flock.
Every person gets treated equally - no special treatment for any person. If one acts against the doctrine of the church and attempts to break down the Lords Church or his anointed servants - that person should be corrected and if refuses - shunned and cast out... It is not hate it is doing them a favour _ tough love is what is required....

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

I am not sure what your point is and Apostle main calling is to testify of Christ, the Prophet is to lead the church bring forth new direction from Jesus who's church this is. e.g. Pres. Monson started the hastening and declared a great work. As things approach towards the start of the tribulations - many more changes will be introduced. Prophets also establish true doctrine and bring forth scripture. Those that fight the prophets or turn a blind eye to them miss out on many important blessing. Turning a blind eye saying we have enough or we can teach our own doctrine is a path of destruction.

Branch's of the church that are cut off from central direction of the prophets and apostles soon go into strange paths and many errors creep in.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Spaced_Out wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 6:00 am

-Finrock
Yes very easily - It is a responsibility of Israel to set a watchman on the tower and see that no ravaging wolf or wolf in sheep's clothing enter the flock.
Every person gets treated equally - no special treatment for any person. If one acts against the doctrine of the church and attempts to break down the Lords Church or his anointed servants - that person should be corrected and if refuses - shunned and cast out... It is not hate it is doing them a favour _ tough love is what is required....
Are you the "watchman on the tower"?

-Finrock

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

mcusick wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 10:29 pm
LdsMarco wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 5:54 pm Following the prophet is nothing new! 1 Corinthians 11:1: Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
Paul makes a qualified statement. The current lds church has no level of qualification.

I think it would be disingenuous to claim the two messages are the same. Paul actions match his words. Paul brags about standing up against Peter when Peter treated Jews and Gentiles differently. But you are free to correlate Paul's words into the latest iteration of gospel messaging.
You're either in or out. There's no grey area. Your choice

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

drtanner wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 10:29 pm
Good point. Which is why I raise my hand without hesitation to sustain President Nelson as a Prophet. The fruits are evident.
What do you see as the evidence of fruit for President Nelson being (1) a prophet, (2) a seer, (3) a revelator, and (4) a translator?

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

investigator wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 8:50 am

What do you see as the evidence of fruit for President Nelson being (1) a prophet, (2) a seer, (3) a revelator, and (4) a translator?
In the talk referenced below, the principles that he teaches and the personal life experiences that he shared are strong evidence to me that President Nelson is a true prophet of Jesus Christ. Although this talk serves as strong evidence of him being a prophet, there are also indicators in this talk which may point to him being a seer and a revelator. I've also read and heard several other teachings from President Nelson that indicate to me that he is indeed a prophet of Jesus Christ.

I feel that he is a prophet of Jesus Christ and have no issues proclaiming this, but I can't proclaim with certainty that I know that he is a seer and a revelator. Although I sustain him as a seer and a revelator, I don't have as strong evidence or indicators of those things and I can't say that I've seen any evidence indicating that he is a translator. Then again, I suppose it depends on what you mean by "translator".

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... r?lang=eng

-Finrock

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Kingdom of ZION wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 7:22 pm Did I tell you that I am expert Piano Tuner and know the business very well? Yeah..I've got this friend who told me all about the Piano Tuning Business and I am now in business and make my living doing that. He said, just buy a tuning fork for the different keys, and then you strike the different tuning forks and then listen to the key on the piano and adjust the wire that is plucked by that key until it sounds the same. You do that with each key and then by that means you tune the piano.

You know this doesn't do well for for you on your other posts. You wanted people to listen to your ideas on MPP and now mock the idea of prophets. And that also reflects on the people that have been associating with you, because when you openly show your colors theirs are shown too. I don't think some of your friends want to be seen as openly anti-mormon either because its harder to 'teach' if we can see who you guys are.

Shame on you.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

LdsMarco wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 5:54 pm People obviously do not understand the way God leads his people. I don't know how many times I have run into members who profess to be in good standing with the LDS church but have a problem with "FOLLOWING THE PROPHET". That phrase (thought) truly disturbs them. Like in the days of the apostle Paul. He is the one who prophesied of a falling away from the church and it seems to me that we are still having that problem. There is so many reasons why we need a prophet. One of them is because people are too weak - SPIRITUALLY. Following the prophet is nothing new! 1 Corinthians 11:1: Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
Liked Dr Tanner's post and everyone's comments but I will reply under Marcos.

I think it's just simple enmity and pride that prevents them from following the prophet. They worry too much about what man thinks and not what God thinks. Somehow enmity and pride wreck a lot of stuff in this world. And it's kind of funny too when you see how much people lose out because of these two ideas.

It really is about following the prophet.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

gardener4life wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 9:16 am

You know this doesn't do well for for you on your other posts. You wanted people to listen to your ideas on MPP and now mock the idea of prophets. And that also reflects on the people that have been associating with you, because when you openly show your colors theirs are shown too. I don't think some of your friends want to be seen as openly anti-mormon either because its harder to 'teach' if we can see who you guys are.

Shame on you.
You seem to be accusing anyone who doesn't share your veneration of the prophets as "mocking" the prophets or speaking evil of the prophets. Inho is speaking evil because he shares facts and Kingdom of Zion is mocking the prophets because he disagrees with a certain segment of Mormonism that places prophets on a pedestal that no mortal deserves to be on. Are you sure you are in a position to make these accusations or to even try to illicit shame and guilt from minds and hearts which you likely know very little about? Perhaps you are projecting your own insecurities on these individuals?

Just some things to think about.

-Finrock

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Finrock wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 9:30 am

Shame on you.
You seem to be accusing anyone who doesn't share your veneration of the prophets as "mocking" the prophets or speaking evil of the prophets. Inho is speaking evil because he shares facts and Kingdom of Zion is mocking the prophets because he disagrees with a certain segment of Mormonism that places prophets on a pedestal that no mortal deserves to be on.
Just to be clear this is a false accusation that groups many on the forum in a category they do not deserve nor intend to be in and places a misconception for those who may be on the fence. No on is placing these men on a pedestal as you say. We acknowledge them the same as all men, but revere them as prophets the same as any in the scriptures, the same as Joseph Smith. We love them for one reason. They point us to Christ. I want to make sure we are there is no mistaking why we sustain and follow them and would condemn any who would follow them for any other reason.
Last edited by drtanner on January 23rd, 2018, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

investigator wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 8:50 am

I will not entertain your question because I sense no sincerity in its asking. There is no real intent follow President Nelson's counsel and so you will not receive a witness of his prophetic fruits. You have made up your mind as to who you will put your trust in as a prophet and your motive in commenting on the forum is to deceive others which is contrary to a true follower of Christ. I wish you well but have my witness and will never deny what I have received from God.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

drtanner wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 10:44 am
Finrock wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 9:30 am

Shame on you.
You seem to be accusing anyone who doesn't share your veneration of the prophets as "mocking" the prophets or speaking evil of the prophets. Inho is speaking evil because he shares facts and Kingdom of Zion is mocking the prophets because he disagrees with a certain segment of Mormonism that places prophets on a pedestal that no mortal deserves to be on.
Just to be clear this is a false accusation that groups many on the forum in a category they do not deserve nor intend to be in and places a misconception for those who may be on the fence. No on is placing these men on a pedestal as you say. We acknowledge them the same as all men, but revere them as prophets the same as any in the scriptures, the same as Joseph Smith. We love them for one reason. They point us to Christ. I want to make sure we are there is no mistaking why we sustain and follow them and would condemn any who would follow them for any other reason.
You are speaking as if you represent all Mormons with this "we" talk. :D In any case, what I said isn't a false accusation. I've witnessed many people place these men on pedestals that no mortal deserves to be on. They are honored and venerated above other people. They are treated like celebrities by some Mormons. It is a fact that certain segments of Mormons venerate prophets and treat them as celebrities. You may not fall in to this category, but many do. As a life long member, I can attest to this as an absolute fact.

We should love people because they are gods and goddesses, our brothers and sisters, co-equal and co-eternal. Plus, you shouldn't condemn anyone. That is God's job. Judgement is for identification, not condemnation. I understand the phenomenon and you don't just see it in Mormonism so I'm not here to condemn anyone, but facts are facts and I'm not afraid to point out facts even when they don't put Mormons in the best light. It is a natural tendency. You see this type of hero worship/leader veneration/etc. in all sorts of groups and religions through-out the world. But, that it happens and that some people do it, is absolutely, 100% truth.

-Finrock