Sustaining President Nelson

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
brianj
captain of 1,000

Sustaining President Nelson

Post by brianj »

One week ago today, Russell M Nelson was set apart as President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
This weekend my stake held a stake conference.

That means one week to the day after Russell M Nelson became the president of the church, I was able to raise my hand to sustain him, President Oaks, and President Eyring. What a special morning it was!

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Sustaining President Nelson

Post by David13 »

Hey, same here.
Stake Conference.
dc

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

We had ward conference a week ago. It was weird because they skipped that part...it was a sustaining of the 12 in general. No prophet. On the other hand, as I watched the broadcast last week of the announcement. I wept opening as the names were read and without a doubt I knew and was able to sustain in my heart.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

David13 wrote: January 21st, 2018, 4:40 pm Hey, same here.
Stake Conference.
dc
I don't suppose Elder McCune was presiding at your conference...

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

brianj wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 7:56 pm
David13 wrote: January 21st, 2018, 4:40 pm Hey, same here.
Stake Conference.
dc
I don't suppose Elder McCune was presiding at your conference...
No, we had Elder Von G Keetch.
Saturday night was a little hokey, 'audience participation' sort of like the Oprah Show. One of my friends and his daughter and her husband didn't like it and got up and walked out. Too much ego and nonsense, he said.
He wanted Apostle inspiration.
Seems like everyone else liked it.
I only liked it because a sister in the back started out saying how she kept her life simple, and thus was able to cope with life. It struck a cord with me as that was what I endeavored to do 10 or 20 years ago, a little late in life, but it certainly helped me. I don't need all the complications I used to get involved with.
I recognized the sisters voice as I've been over to their house a number of times, and I really connected with her message. That's probably what kept me from not enjoying it much.

But I think it's a new thing, the latest thing. How can we make the members "feel" like we are more concerned about what they have to say? Ah, audience participation, just like a tv game show, or no, Jerry Springer, or what?

Sunday was much better, real inspirational talk and testimony.
dc

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

kittycat51 wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 9:43 am We had ward conference a week ago. It was weird because they skipped that part...it was a sustaining of the 12 in general. No prophet. On the other hand, as I watched the broadcast last week of the announcement. I wept opening as the names were read and without a doubt I knew and was able to sustain in my heart.
This seems weird to me. Sustaining the 12 and the prophet are separate issues and should BOTH be done. There's also a reason that both are done. The qourum as the 12 hold the keys collectively and form the backup priesthood preservation system, but we sustain the prophet to lead. That's why it's separate. But notwithstanding I don't want to be criticizing anyone and standing in front of a huge crowd of people can be pretty intimidating. They might've gotten flustered or nervous while doing this. It's more important that they tried than how perfect they are.

Also I don't really understand why the other commentors asked about Elder McCune or why that is relevant or the other names?

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

gardener4life wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 9:27 amAlso I don't really understand why the other commentors asked about Elder McCune or why that is relevant or the other names?
They are probably just wondering if they were in the same stake conference meeting as each other. I would love to find out that I was in the same stake as any of my friends here on the forum (alas, I'm not, but I can totally understand wanting to discover if I were).

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

gardener4life wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 9:27 am
kittycat51 wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 9:43 am We had ward conference a week ago. It was weird because they skipped that part...it was a sustaining of the 12 in general. No prophet. On the other hand, as I watched the broadcast last week of the announcement. I wept opening as the names were read and without a doubt I knew and was able to sustain in my heart.
This seems weird to me. Sustaining the 12 and the prophet are separate issues and should BOTH be done. There's also a reason that both are done. The qourum as the 12 hold the keys collectively and form the backup priesthood preservation system, but we sustain the prophet to lead. That's why it's separate. But notwithstanding I don't want to be criticizing anyone and standing in front of a huge crowd of people can be pretty intimidating. They might've gotten flustered or nervous while doing this. It's more important that they tried than how perfect they are.
Correct me if I got the dates wrong, but when kittycat had the ward conference, the first presidency hadn't yet been formed (or at least it hadn't been announced yet). In that case, I don't think that the president of the twelve should be sustained separately.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Do they sustain in ward conference? Or only stake conference? Do they always sustain, every time?
It could be that kittycat just wasn't paying attention and they did sustain.
It's quite easy to forget what goes on in conference, particularly if you have been in the church many years.
I talk to people all the time and they can't remember something said in conference, or even Sacrament meeting. Sometimes any of us just quits paying attention, with thoughts or worries, etc., and misses something.
dc

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

gardener4life wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 9:27 am

Also I don't really understand why the other commentors asked about Elder McCune or why that is relevant or the other names?
No prophet because it was after President Monson died and before President Nelson was put in.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

David13 wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 11:10 am Do they sustain in ward conference? Or only stake conference? Do they always sustain, every time?
It's quite easy to forget what goes on in conference, particularly if you have been in the church many years.
I talk to people all the time and they can't remember something said in conference, or even Sacrament meeting. Sometimes any of us just quits paying attention, with thoughts or worries, etc., and misses something.
dc
Yes I was paying attention because of the situation of Pres Monson's passing and no prophet as of yet. ALSO on top of that the sustainings have always been done BEFORE the sacrament. I made note of that to my husband. It was done afterwards because they dropped the bomb on us of reorganizing our bishopric.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

EmmaLee wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 9:49 am
gardener4life wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 9:27 amAlso I don't really understand why the other commentors asked about Elder McCune or why that is relevant or the other names?
They are probably just wondering if they were in the same stake conference meeting as each other. I would love to find out that I was in the same stake as any of my friends here on the forum (alas, I'm not, but I can totally understand wanting to discover if I were).
I'm surprised my motivation for asking wasn't so obvious that nobody would wonder why I asked.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

David13 wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 11:10 am Do they sustain in ward conference? Or only stake conference? Do they always sustain, every time?
dc
Sustainings happen in general, stake, and ward conferences. Since there was no announced first presidency, the presidency could not be sustained.