Did you catch the message from President Nelson

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
drtanner
captain of 1,000

Did you catch the message from President Nelson

Post by drtanner »

"Endowed with power in a house of the Lord, sealed as families—faithful to covenants made in a temple... Your worship in the temple and your service there for your ancestors will bless you with increased personal revelation and peace and will fortify your commitment to stay on the covenant path,”

Keep on the covenant path, Your commitment to follow the Savior by making covenants with Him and then keeping those covenants will open the door to every spiritual blessing and privilege available to women, men, and children everywhere,”
How can you stay on the covenant path if you are not worthy to attend the temple? How can you be worthy to attend the temple if you don't sustain the prophet, quorum of the 12 and local leaders of the church?

What does "every spiritual blessing and privilege" mean? In our day, key word OUR DAY there is not "another" way to make covenants with the savior that will unlock these blessings outside of the temple, and if we are not worthy to attend the temple we will find ourselves wanting in any other attempt to open the door to the Savior's most precious blessings.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Re: Did you catch the message from President Nelson

Post by AI2.0 »

drtanner wrote: January 16th, 2018, 11:02 pm
"Endowed with power in a house of the Lord, sealed as families—faithful to covenants made in a temple... Your worship in the temple and your service there for your ancestors will bless you with increased personal revelation and peace and will fortify your commitment to stay on the covenant path,”

Keep on the covenant path, Your commitment to follow the Savior by making covenants with Him and then keeping those covenants will open the door to every spiritual blessing and privilege available to women, men, and children everywhere,”
How can you stay on the covenant path if you are not worthy to attend the temple? How can you be worthy to attend the temple if you don't sustain the prophet, quorum of the 12 and local leaders of the church?

What does "every spiritual blessing and privilege" mean? In our day, key word OUR DAY there is not "another" way to make covenants with the savior that will unlock these blessings outside of the temple, and if we are not worthy to attend the temple we will find ourselves wanting in any other attempt to open the door to the Savior's most precious blessings.
Good question, how can one stay on the covenant path if they are being influenced to do things that will prevent them from attending the temple? You cited one question we are asked in the temple recommend, but there are others too. Not paying a proper tithe, not abstaining from Alcohol, tobacco etc., not attending meetings regularly, not living the law of Chastity to name some others.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Where does President Nelson say in the qoute that you provided that "there is not another way to make covenants with the Savior to unlock all the blessings outside of the temple"?

-Finrock

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

"Keep on THE covenant path.." Not paths, not 'a' covenant path, but 'The' covenant path. In my mind that qualifies as singular.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

Rand wrote: January 17th, 2018, 8:07 pm "Keep on THE covenant path.." Not paths, not 'a' covenant path, but 'The' covenant path. In my mind that qualifies as singular.
The question is where in the quote does it say "outside the temple there is not another way to make covenants with the Savior to unlock all blessings"?

-Finrock

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Finrock wrote: January 17th, 2018, 8:36 pm
Rand wrote: January 17th, 2018, 8:07 pm "Keep on THE covenant path.." Not paths, not 'a' covenant path, but 'The' covenant path. In my mind that qualifies as singular.
The question is where in the quote does it say "outside the temple there is not another way to make covenants with the Savior to unlock all blessings"?

-Finrock
This is from a section for Youth on LDS.org, the church's official website and will explain it for you.

https://www.lds.org/youth/article/your- ... h?lang=eng
Your Covenant Path

Being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints really is awesome. There are so many blessings and joyful things that come from our membership. When we’re baptized, we receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. That gift provides us guidance and direction, helps us repent and be clean, and changes our lives. These blessings are a result of living on the covenant path—or living faithfully according to the covenants we’ve made and will make, and doing the things that help us stay faithful.
The Covenant Path and You

So, what are those covenants? They include being baptized, being confirmed and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, (for young men) being ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood and then (once they’re at least 18) to the Melchizedek Priesthood, receiving the temple endowment, and being sealed in the temple. “Covenants with God help us to know who we really are” (Jean A. Stevens, “Covenant Daughters of God,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2014, 115). With each covenant, we promise Heavenly Father to strive to live as He has asked us to. As we do, He promises we can have His Spirit to be with and guide us.

I know that you have trouble accepting that Baptism is necessary, but as far as LDS doctrine is concerned--it is, for the living and the dead. Baptism is the first covenant you make, but it is expected that it won't stop there. If we stay on the Covenant Path, it will lead to the temple. We make more covenants in the Temple. To receive the blessings of exaltation and all that God has to offer us, we need to enter covenants with God, made in the Temple.

Your question seems to be; 'is there another way to make covenants with the Savior to unlock all blessings?' As far as the church is concerned, the answer is no, there is not. Not when the Lord has established HIS church, and His Gospel on the earth, called HIS servants to administer the ordinances to God's children.

There are many break off sects that believe they can offer these blessings and there are many who think they can go directly to God for this, I suppose they think they can cut the church out of the mix, but that's false, as far as those of us who embrace the CofJCofLDS and it's teachings.

To simplify what this 'Covenant Path' is:
Baptism/confirmation
Aaronic/Melchizedek Priesthood for males
receiving the Temple endowment/sealing

mcusick
captain of 100

Post by mcusick »

AI2.0 wrote: January 18th, 2018, 8:26 am To simplify what this 'Covenant Path' is:
Baptism/confirmation
No second anointings?

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

AI2.0 wrote: January 18th, 2018, 8:26 am
Finrock wrote: January 17th, 2018, 8:36 pm

-Finrock
This is from a section for Youth on LDS.org, the church's official website and will explain it for you.

https://www.lds.org/youth/article/your- ... h?lang=eng
Your Covenant Path

Being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints really is awesome. There are so many blessings and joyful things that come from our membership. When we’re baptized, we receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. That gift provides us guidance and direction, helps us repent and be clean, and changes our lives. These blessings are a result of living on the covenant path—or living faithfully according to the covenants we’ve made and will make, and doing the things that help us stay faithful.
The Covenant Path and You

So, what are those covenants? They include being baptized, being confirmed and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, (for young men) being ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood and then (once they’re at least 18) to the Melchizedek Priesthood, receiving the temple endowment, and being sealed in the temple. “Covenants with God help us to know who we really are” (Jean A. Stevens, “Covenant Daughters of God,” Ensign or Liahona, Nov. 2014, 115). With each covenant, we promise Heavenly Father to strive to live as He has asked us to. As we do, He promises we can have His Spirit to be with and guide us.

I know that you have trouble accepting that Baptism is necessary, but as far as LDS doctrine is concerned--it is, for the living and the dead. Baptism is the first covenant you make, but it is expected that it won't stop there. If we stay on the Covenant Path, it will lead to the temple. We make more covenants in the Temple. To receive the blessings of exaltation and all that God has to offer us, we need to enter covenants with God, made in the Temple.

Your question seems to be; 'is there another way to make covenants with the Savior to unlock all blessings?' As far as the church is concerned, the answer is no, there is not. Not when the Lord has established HIS church, and His Gospel on the earth, called HIS servants to administer the ordinances to God's children.

There are many break off sects that believe they can offer these blessings and there are many who think they can go directly to God for this, I suppose they think they can cut the church out of the mix, but that's false, as far as those of us who embrace the CofJCofLDS and it's teachings.

To simplify what this 'Covenant Path' is:
Baptism/confirmation
So, where in the quote that was provided does it say that "outside the temple there is not another way to make covenants with the Savior to unlock all blessings"?

-Finrock

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Finrock wrote: January 17th, 2018, 6:57 pm

Where does President Nelson say in the qoute that you provided that "there is not another way to make covenants with the Savior to unlock all the blessings outside of the temple"?

-Finrock
drtanner never stated that President Nelson made that comment.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Finrock wrote: January 18th, 2018, 10:05 am
So, where in the quote that was provided does it say that "outside the temple there is not another way to make covenants with the Savior to unlock all blessings"?

-Finrock
Read the quote that was provided. If it is not there, then it is not there. Simple, right?
If it is not in that quote, does not mean that it isn't true.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

shadow wrote: January 18th, 2018, 10:17 am
Finrock wrote: January 17th, 2018, 6:57 pm

-Finrock
drtanner never stated that President Nelson made that comment.
Oh, okay. The thread is titled "Did you catch the message from President Nelson". I was assuming he was clarifying the message that President Nelson was giving. I'm gathering then that the message we are suppose to "catch" is something different from what drtanner wrote?

-Finrock

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

inho wrote: January 18th, 2018, 11:44 am

-Finrock
Read the quote that was provided. If it is not there, then it is not there. Simple, right?
Could be that simple. And your statement is true albeit random.

I'm gathering then that the message from President Nelson is not "outside the temple there is not another way to make covenants with the Savior to unlock all blessings".

-Finrock

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Finrock wrote: January 18th, 2018, 1:08 pm

-Finrock

I'm gathering then that the message from President Nelson is not "outside the temple there is not another way to make covenants with the Savior to unlock all blessings".

-Finrock
I think you're trying to read too much into what he did or didn't say.
We know the Lord said this-

“Verily I say unto you, that your anointings and your washings, and your baptisms for the dead, and your solemn assemblies, and your memorials for your sacrifices by the sons of Levi, and for your oracles in your most holy places wherein you received conversations, and your statutes and judgments, for the beginning of the revelations and foundation of Zion, and for the glory, honor, and endowment of all her municipals, are ordained by the ordinance of my holy house, which my people are always commanded to build unto my holy name”

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

shadow wrote: January 18th, 2018, 1:54 pm
Finrock wrote: January 18th, 2018, 1:08 pm

-Finrock

-Finrock
I think you're trying to read too much into what he did or didn't say.
We know the Lord said this-
Weird thought given that I only asked a question, but, OK. Happy to know that is what you think, I guess.
“Verily I say unto you, that your anointings and your washings, and your baptisms for the dead, and your solemn assemblies, and your memorials for your sacrifices by the sons of Levi, and for your oracles in your most holy places wherein you received conversations, and your statutes and judgments, for the beginning of the revelations and foundation of Zion, and for the glory, honor, and endowment of all her municipals, are ordained by the ordinance of my holy house, which my people are always commanded to build unto my holy name”
That is a good scripture, thanks...Are you sure I'm the one who's "reading too much" into what has been said?

-Finrock

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

President Nelson:
Temple ordinances, covenants, endowments, and sealings enable individuals to be reconciled with the Lord and families to be sealed beyond the veil of death. Obedience to temple covenants qualifies us for eternal life, the greatest gift of God to man. Eternal life is more than immortality. Eternal life is exaltation in the highest heaven—the kind of life that God lives.
In our day this will not be achieved outside of Gods TEMPLES.

Again President Nelson states on another occasion
Ultimately, in the holy temple, we may become joint heirs to the blessings of an eternal family, as once promised to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and their posterity. Thus, celestial marriage is the covenant of exaltation.
That is the opening message from the prophet to the World. We can listen or we can follow another path that will leave us wanting.

DesertWonderer2
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer2 »

Yes; his message caught my attention. It was clear to me that a true messenger of God was speaking. We thank thee of God for a prophet...

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

drtanner wrote: January 18th, 2018, 7:11 pm President Nelson:
Temple ordinances, covenants, endowments, and sealings enable individuals to be reconciled with the Lord and families to be sealed beyond the veil of death. Obedience to temple covenants qualifies us for eternal life, the greatest gift of God to man. Eternal life is more than immortality. Eternal life is exaltation in the highest heaven—the kind of life that God lives.

Ultimately, in the holy temple, we may become joint heirs to the blessings of an eternal family, as once promised to Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and their posterity. Thus, celestial marriage is the covenant of exaltation.
That is the opening message from the prophet to the World. We can listen or we can follow another path that will leave us wanting.
I agree with President Nelson. However he isn't saying what you are saying, at least not in these quotes you have provided. Doesn't mean what you are saying is false, its just that your message isn't President Nelson's message. You are adding to it.

Affirming something doesn't necessarily deny something else.

Someone stating that if you complete the Super Duper exercise program and commit to it diligently, you will lose weight and be healthy, is not the same as someone saying that only by diligently adhering to the Super Duper exercise program can you possibly lose weight and be healthy.

Losing weight and being healthy follows certain principles, true, but there are many ways to implement these principles.

Now one might believe and have faith that only the Super Duper exercise program will allow one to lose weight and be healthy and it may even be true, but this truth is not established because one affirms that the program works or because one believes it to be true. You need more than this to conclude that only the Super Duper regime can make one lose weight and be healthy.

-Finrock

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Finrock wrote: January 19th, 2018, 7:09 am

I agree with President Nelson. However he isn't saying what you are saying, at least not in these quotes you have provided. Doesn't mean what you are saying is false, its just that your message isn't President Nelson's message. You are adding to it.

Someone stating that if you complete the Super Duper exercise program and commit to it diligently, you will lose weight and be healthy, is not the same as someone saying that only by diligently adhering to the Super Duper exercise program can you possibly lose weight and be healthy.

Losing weight and being healthy follows certain principles, true, but there are many ways to implement these principles.

Now one might believe and have faith that only the Super Duper exercise program will allow one to lose weight and be healthy and it may even be true, but this truth is not established because one affirms that the program works or because one believes it to be true. You need more than this to conclude that only the Super Duper regime can make one lose weight and be healthy.

-Finrock

Hmmm. I heard the same message as drtanner. Others appear to have heard that same message as well. It seems likely that you are the one who didn't really hear the message he was sharing.

Pres. Nelson's message is the same as our other Prophets. Covenants made with God, when administered through priesthood authority through the CofJCofLDS, are binding and necessary for returning to live with Heavenly Father.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

-Finrock

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... contrarian

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Pretty safe to say this is exactly what President Nelson is saying, confirmed by the fact that no other modern prophet has ever outlined an alternative way to receive ordinances and make covenants with the Lord when there is a temple on the earth and modern scripture also confirms that fact.

If you believe there are other ways in our day to receive ordinances and make covenants with God outside of the temple that is inconsistent with the teachings of every single prophet of the restoration.

Ordinances are not like diet and exercise.

Have you experienced something that leads you to believe differently or know someone who claims they have? Or are you just saying anything is possible? Why do you disagree?

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

You know this getting back to focusing on the temple is a good focus. I was thinking actually the other day that its been awhile since I heard people encouraging temple worship at church. People forget and become calloused about it because of being caught up in the things of the world. Elder Nelson going over this again is a great thing. We need to hear it every once in awhile from the top to live worthy of the temple and have that be the focus of where we're going.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

It’s interesting that the one time Jesus expressed anger is when people were using the temple to make money.

I used to love the temple. They are all so beautiful inside & out. But now they represent something different: charging for worthiness (temple used to make money - hefty 10% of income to enter) & breaking up families. Many people like my dad could not see their own children marry. That’s not of God to break up families like that. Joseph Smith invited the public, including nonmembers to celestial weddings, maybe because he saw it as a family time, rather a breaking-up family time.

Tbmbro
captain of 10

Post by Tbmbro »

Thinker wrote: January 19th, 2018, 6:25 pm It’s interesting that the one time Jesus expressed anger is when people were using the temple to make money.

I used to love the temple. They are all so beautiful inside & out. But now they represent something different: charging for worthiness (temple used to make money - hefty 10% of income to enter) & breaking up families. Many people like my dad could not see their own children marry. That’s not of God to break up families like that. Joseph Smith invited the public, including nonmembers to celestial weddings, maybe because he saw it as a family time, rather a breaking-up family time.
Jesus actually said that he specifically would be breaking up families on the basis of worthiness.

In Matthew 10 he's talking with his Apostles
34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36 And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

TMBro, are you suggesting that “forever families” are pipe dreams because Jesus will split them up? Or are you suggesting that Jesus never said anything about eternal or forever families? I tend to think that Jesus meant that when you truly follow him in doing God’s will (as opposed to the religious leaders/pharessees’ will), some in your family will object and unfortunately may shun or choose the religion over you. Sounds familiar.
http://familyfirstweddings.com/category/blog/

Moreover, priestcraft (charging for worthiness) is wrong, as is using temples to make money.

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

AI2.0 wrote: January 19th, 2018, 8:05 am

-Finrock

Hmmm. I heard the same message as drtanner. Others appear to have heard that same message as well. It seems likely that you are the one who didn't really hear the message he was sharing.

Pres. Nelson's message is the same as our other Prophets. Covenants made with God, when administered through priesthood authority through the CofJCofLDS, are binding and necessary for returning to live with Heavenly Father.
Popularity doesn't determine truth. Neither does your particular and your personal interpretation of prophetic words in scripture or otherwise, of necessity, constitute the true Mormon doctrine and the true Mormon belief. Nor does mine. In short you, nor I, are in a superior position over the other to speak for the LDS faith and to dictate what is "true" Mormon doctrine. I'm just as qualified as you are to share what Mormon's believe and what constitutes true Mormon doctrine. In the end each person can read and decide for themselves where they stand and to listen to the whisperings of the Holy Spirit. I understand that true Mormonism is not a cult and it rejects group think or the necessity of adhering to sociocentric norms or paradigms.

But, I do appreciate you sharing your beliefs and your perspectives on the Mormon faith. You have a right to believe according to the dictates of your own conscience and I respect that. I respect that right even when I disagree with your opinions, views, and interpretations. :)

-Finrock