When Will The City Of Zion Be Built?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Re: When Will The City Of Zion Be Built?

Post by gardener4life »

brianj wrote: January 13th, 2018, 9:47 pm
abijah wrote: January 13th, 2018, 8:55 pm
brianj wrote: January 13th, 2018, 8:33 pm There are many modern prophecies of great social unrest in the US, North America, and the world. Actually, 'social unrest' is putting it way too mildly. This will be a period of great destruction and cleansing. After this period of cleansing, or perhaps during this time, construction of Zion will commence.

When's this period of cleansing going to begin, and how will the faithful be preserved? Those are the big questions we don't have answers for.
I agree with this. I think there is a distinction between the "latter days" and the "last days", and I believe the transition will be very tangible. Though I'm unsure as to how this aligns with the 6th and 7th seals, I reckon the building of Zion, whether in Missouri or Israel, will be a last days event, most likely commencing around the time of the tribulation. I think speculation for specific dates/years is a vain attempt, one simply needs to watch and be prepared for when the time comes.
I don't think we can build the city before or at the start of the coming tribulations. Some land owners would refuse to sell, Satan would inspire other people to buy up the land for other purposes, and still others would be inspired to use all the effort they can to block issuance of construction permits.
I wanted to add confirmation to what brian and abijah said. It's true that it will be built after the great tribulations but before Christ's coming (because that's where he will go to, and use his seat as. That's according to one source.) This is also...well I thought it was in the D&C but I had trouble finding it. In fact I was listening to it yesterday and heard it. What I also found interesting about it was the story of the Kirtland and Nauvoo temples being built in the midst of turmoil are sort of parables of it. It's quite interesting that this verse will in the future apply to the temple of New Jerusalem and not just Joseph Smith's days and it was meant to be a foreshadowing all along! Check this out;

Doctrine and Covenants 109:5
5 For thou knowest that we have done this work through great tribulation; and out of our poverty we have given of our substance to build a house to thy name, that the Son of Man might have a place to manifest himself to his people. (So that we could show the widow's mite before the Lord comes back.)

Doctrine and Covenants 29:8
8 Wherefore the decree hath gone forth from the Father that they shall be gathered in unto one place upon the face of this land, to prepare their hearts and be prepared in all things against the day when tribulation and desolation are sent forth upon the wicked. (This verse you have to be tricky interpretting because gathered into one place could mean just that or it could mean into 'the stakes of Zion'. But there's also verses about people being sent to build up the waste places of Zion...and if there are waste places it could mean there are places that aren't quite ready yet or not strong enough.)

"...and they shall sing the song of the Lamb day and night..."

D&C 45

66 And it shall be called the New Jerusalem, a land of peace, a city of refuge, a place of safety for the saints of the Most High God;
67 And the glory of the Lord shall be there, and the terror of the Lord also shall be there, insomuch that the wicked will not come unto it, and it shall be called Zion.
68 And it shall come to pass among the wicked, that every man that will not take his sword against his neighbor must needs flee unto Zion for safety.
69 And there shall be gathered unto it out of every nation under heaven; and it shall be the only people that shall not be at war one with another.
70 And it shall be said among the wicked: Let us not go up to battle against Zion, for the inhabitants of Zion are terrible; wherefore we cannot stand.
71 And it shall come to pass that the righteous shall be gathered out from among all nations, and shall come to Zion, singing with songs of everlasting joy.
72 And now I say unto you, keep these things from going abroad unto the world until it is expedient in me, that ye may accomplish this work in the eyes of the people, and in the eyes of your enemies, that they may not know your works until ye have accomplished the thing which I have commanded you;
73 That when they shall know it, that they may consider these things.
74 For when the Lord shall appear he shall be terrible unto them, that fear may seize upon them, and they shall stand afar off and tremble.
75 And all nations shall be afraid because of the terror of the Lord, and the power of his might. Even so. Amen.

(But if its built after the great tribulations then why would those last verses of D&C 45 be necessary.)

One tricky thing about scriptures is that you want several about a topic together so you don't get confused. One scripture will say the Saints will build it, but another will say Enoch and his people will built it, and so on. So you have to fit them together. And some scriptures have repeating patterns like another gathering of people around it.

onefour1
captain of 1,000

Post by onefour1 »

Yes, the world will be at war one with another and those who wish to escape this will need to flee unto Zion. The Lord, with his power, will protect Zion. The power of the Lord will be manifest as in the days of Moses. Thanks gardener4life for your post. Definitely before his coming and the destruction of the wicked.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

onefour1 wrote: January 13th, 2018, 7:57 pm A gospel topic I am researching is when will the City of Zion be built, in the sixth seal or in the seventh? What are your thoughts?
At the very end of the 6th seal, into, and throughout all of the millennium. We could be as close as 40-60 years until we start building it.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

Spaced_Out wrote: January 14th, 2018, 2:15 pm
Michelle wrote: January 14th, 2018, 10:09 am
Ezra wrote: January 14th, 2018, 8:27 am
Spaced_Out wrote: January 14th, 2018, 6:40 am During the 6th seal prior to 2033... In the 6th seal the 10 lost tribes return we know that they come to Zion the New Jerusalem, and the 144k are called during the 6th seal, and sealed in the temple for the work of preaching - all 6th seal stuff.

The missionaries will be recalled the tribulation and wars will start- plagues unleashed then there will be a series of massive earthquakes that wipe clean Jackson county. Many have seen it in vision and it is also in the scriptures and teachings of the prophets. The New Madrid fault zone running all the way from the Gulf of Mexico to the great lakes will open up several miles wide and the flood will clean out many areas. The scriptures also say we can sail to Zion - it will be one inland oceanic water way, the US continent will be split in two....

Be careful there are a two New Jerusalem's spoken about in the scriptures - one is the one the members will build the other is at the second coming, Jesus will bring down his abode from Heaven also referred in some places as a new Jerusalem. Some mistakenly teach we don;t build a new Jerusalem as it comes down from heaven.
Where does the 2033 number come from?
I can speak for no one but myself. I was given the number as a child of about 10 years old. (I do not know that it is the second coming, but I do believe it to be significant.) It has only been in the last 10 years or so that I have seen others come up with this year for various reasons. I remember being so surprised when it kept popping up in last day discussions until I realized that, of course, other people would be receiving inspiration from the Spirit too.
Thanks for posting interesting testimony on the date... I will solve the mystery for you as to the date and what will happen...if you will have it...

For me, there was an ongoing heated discussion on LDSFF about the seals with most saying we are in the 7th seal that raged on for weeks. The one morning I woke up contemplating on these things, when a thought came to my mind saying the firth seal started when the law of Moses ended. I thought that very strange as why not after the crucifixion or resurrection - but it was very clear when the law of Moses ended - anyway it is the same date. Jesus crucified at age 33 gives 2,000y from that date. May people proposed the year 2,000 but it has been 18years since and nothing has happened except the hastening has started.

There are a lot of things to happen in the next 15 years - the tribulations, destruction of gentile nations (western Europe and USA), meteorite and earthquakes, build Zion - lost tribes return . 144 called and final preaching of the gospel to the house of Israel.

My understanding is that the next big thing to happen will be economic collapse - stock markets around the world have had unprecedented growth and lack of volatility - this is what has preceded all the big crashes. The hastening is now over and it could be months away from starting...

The second coming is only well after 2033 but by then one will be in Zion or a place of refuge with all the storms raging around.
We're going to experience new wars, polticial upheavals, recessions, and so forth. But we're quite a ways to go until the tribs begin. I'm sure the brethern have been planning and organizing the church owned sites that would be beneficial to us.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

friendsofthe wrote: January 15th, 2018, 11:36 pm If you are able to find the quote you referenced above please let us know..
Gardner4life already provided some references, but here are a few more:
Moses 7:62: "And righteousness will I send down out of heaven; and truth will I send forth out of the earth, to bear testimony of mine Only Begotten; his resurrection from the dead; yea, and also the resurrection of all men; and righteousness and truth will I cause to sweep the earth as with a flood, to gather out mine elect from the four quarters of the earth, unto a place which I shall prepare, an Holy City, that my people may gird up their loins, and be looking forth for the time of my coming; for there shall be my tabernacle, and it shall be called Zion, a New Jerusalem."

How can people be gathered to an Holy City to look forth unto the time of His coming if that city isn't built until after His coming?

Joseph Smith, History of the Church v2, p516: "In making this appeal to the benevolence of the Saints of God we do not only take into consideration the situation of the poor, the embarrassments of the stake of Kirtland, but also their own interests, for every Saint has an equal interest in building up the Zion of our God, for it is after the Lord has built up Zion that He will appear in His glory (Psalm 102:16). We all look for the appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ, but we shall look in vain until Zion is built, for Zion is to be the dwelling place of our God when He comes (Joel 3:21). Anyone who will read this chapter with attention will see that it treats of the last days, and of the Zion of the last days. How, then, is the Lord to dwell in Zion if Zion be not built up?"

Wilford Woodruff, Journal of Discourses v18, p192: "But before Christ comes, a people have got to be prepared by being sanctified before the Lord. Temples have got to be built; Zion has got to be built up; there must be a place of safety for the people of God while his judgments are abroad in the earth, for the judgments of God will visit the earth, there is no mistake about that, the revelations are full of promises to this effect, and as the Lord has declared it, he will not fail in keeping his word."

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

Z2100 wrote: January 19th, 2018, 6:40 pm
We're going to experience new wars, polticial upheavals, recessions, and so forth. But we're quite a ways to go until the tribs begin. I'm sure the brethern have been planning and organizing the church owned sites that would be beneficial to us.
What do you base you assumption on.

Section 63 - discusses the surprise event - it is more to do with the start of the tribulations.... They come suddenly as a whirlwind. As said my understanding is the next thing to occur is total global financial ruin - all banking will cease, missionaries withdrawn then all hell breaks loose... We have been warned once it starts raining then it is too late to build an ark.. Stocks markets are in final exuberant stage of euphoria that have always ended with a crash. Considering the worlds current debt load - this time there will be no recovery. Within 18months these things will start..

Believing The Impossible...
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01- ... impossible

JPMorgan: "Global Market Momentum Just Hit Extreme Levels; Profit-Taking Imminent"
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01- ... g-imminent

D&C 63:5 Behold, I, the Lord, utter my voice, and it shall be obeyed.
6 Wherefore, verily I say, let the wicked take heed, and let the rebellious fear and tremble; and let the unbelieving hold their lips, for the day of wrath shall come upon them as a whirlwind, and all flesh shall know that I am God.
7 And he that seeketh signs shall see signs, but not unto salvation.
8 Verily, I say unto you, there are those among you who seek signs, and there have been such even from the beginning;

Doctrine and Covenants 112:24
24 Behold, vengeance cometh speedily upon the inhabitants of the earth, a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of desolation, of weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation; and as a whirlwind it shall come upon all the face of the earth, saith the Lord.

Doctrine and Covenants 97:22
22 For behold, and lo, avengeance cometh speedily upon the ungodly as the whirlwind; and who shall escape it?