New Priesthood Lessons?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

New Priesthood Lessons?

Post by JohnnyL »

So for our goals, we spoke about one minute about the 100+ widows in our ward, and then spent about 20 minutes on how to steal members from the EQ to increase our quorum members--we already have double show up for our quorum meetings.

We're off to a start about as good as the youth one when it first came out... :(

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: New Priesthood Lessons?

Post by Silver »

JohnnyL wrote: January 9th, 2018, 3:02 pm So for our goals, we spoke about one minute about the 100+ widows in our ward, and then spent about 20 minutes on how to steal members from the EQ to increase our quorum members--we already have double show up for our quorum meetings.

We're off to a start about as good as the youth one when it first came out... :(
Literally, 100+? Cancel meetings (just kidding) and go serve. There must be tremendous need.

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

Don't be afraid to bring up your concerns. That is what these meetings is all about. To give ideas on how to have a successful teaching/learning experience. Please set the example. It begins with you

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

I was waiting for someone to address the first "Council" meeting. As my husband and I compared notes last Sunday they were similar. It was like crickets chirping loudly for the first little while. We Sisters fared a bit better than our High Priests, and the ball soon started rolling. My husband said that an older more prominent brother in the quorum who has held many church positions including being a mission President, made the comment something to the effect of, "we can't go talking about anybody that would just be wrong." For instance, the High Priests have the duty to be watchful of the single sisters of the ward whether by divorce, death or never been married. It would not be right to say "so and so has this particular problem..." It could end there but when does it soon turn to gossip? It made the High Priests uncomfortable so it was quiet for a bit after that and the men became gun-shy.

I have many concerns but would rather keep my mouth shut, because it could border on being too judgmental. Maybe it will take a while to work the kinks out.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

kittycat51 wrote: January 9th, 2018, 3:44 pm I was waiting for someone to address the first "Council" meeting. As my husband and I compared notes last Sunday they were similar. It was like crickets chirping loudly for the first little while. We Sisters fared a bit better than our High Priests, and the ball soon started rolling. My husband said that an older more prominent brother in the quorum who has held many church positions including being a mission President, made the comment something to the effect of, "we can't go talking about anybody that would just be wrong." For instance, the High Priests have the duty to be watchful of the single sisters of the ward whether by divorce, death or never been married. It would not be right to say "so and so has this particular problem..." It could end there but when does it soon turn to gossip? It made the High Priests uncomfortable so it was quiet for a bit after that and the men became gun-shy.

I have many concerns but would rather keep my mouth shut, because it could border on being too judgmental. Maybe it will take a while to work the kinks out.
I had suggested within the Sunday School Presidency that testimonies be born as they are an excellent ice breaker and invitation to the Spirit. Unfortunately, I was unable to attend last week, so I didn't see how it all played out, but the testimony is a powerful tool that can turn a potentially contentious situation into a productive one.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Silver wrote: January 9th, 2018, 3:04 pm
JohnnyL wrote: January 9th, 2018, 3:02 pm So for our goals, we spoke about one minute about the 100+ widows in our ward, and then spent about 20 minutes on how to steal members from the EQ to increase our quorum members--we already have double show up for our quorum meetings.

Literally, 100+? Cancel meetings (just kidding) and go serve. There must be tremendous need.
I've had to ask three times to get my home teaching list, and I still don't have it.
Not that I'm complaining, lol.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

We had great councils in another ward. Leadership asked what everyone wanted to learn about, and passed around a paper. Everyone wrote something down. Eight men, 6 lessons, so we combined twice. Everyone enjoyed them, participated a lot, we had great discussions, even stake leaders liked it. Great times.

Frankly, I think much of the problem in class that they're trying to overcome, is not the lesson or not having a "council", but the leaders and the teachers. Leaders who are afraid to ask and help, and we still have teachers who are afraid to just have good discussions and manage them well. I learned well that the lesson is important, of course, but it's the last issue to be dealt with--the welfare of the ward and quorum members comes first. I think that if the church would teach that, it would help a lot.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Silver wrote: January 9th, 2018, 3:04 pm

I imagine there is--I've rarely heard of any.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

I missed Sunday because of kids throwing up. But my comment or goal is to be still and know God.

A lot of times you can't schedule for a prompting. But you can learn to hear God's voice and then you will not only be ready for use when God needs you, but you cut out doing a lot of unnecessary busy work.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

This is the same pattern as the Teacher Councils one a month for Sunday School. It took several councils before people became comfortable with the concept. HPG's first council was just fine. We accomplished several things including some service for a family in need.