Modern Day Miracles?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
gradles21
captain of 1,000

Modern Day Miracles?

Post by gradles21 »

In the last decade, cancer and other critical illnesses have have hit my family really hard, including my own two year old's cancer battle. I mention this not because I want pity, but to help make my point. But with all these issues it has led me many times to the topic of miracles. I know what the scriptures have to say about God being a God of miracles, specifically Mormon ch. 9, but it just seems to me that we don't see miracles anymore. And if we are still have miracles then why don't we hear about them, and why are people discouraged to talk about them? It seems like the early saints had no problems sharing their miracles, as well as the saints in biblical times. Is it strictly a lack of faith in our times?

dafty
captain of 100

Re: Modern Day Miracles?

Post by dafty »

gradles21 wrote: January 9th, 2018, 6:50 am In the last decade, cancer and other critical illnesses have have hit my family really hard, including my own two year old's cancer battle. I mention this not because I want pity, but to help make my point. But with all these issues it has led me many times to the topic of miracles. I know what the scriptures have to say about God being a God of miracles, specifically Mormon ch. 9, but it just seems to me that we don't see miracles anymore. And if we are still have miracles then why don't we hear about them, and why are people discouraged to talk about them? It seems like the early saints had no problems sharing their miracles, as well as the saints in biblical times. Is it strictly a lack of faith in our times?
I personally think we do not see any miracles, but I bet many will disagree with me here. Anyhow, I hope God will bless you and your family with many miracles that you will be able to share with us.All the best xxx

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Do you read Latter-day Voices in the Ensign?

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

I think most believe that miracles are mighty in results, such as when Christ healed the blind, deaf, those who couldn't walk and most impressive of all, raising the dead. In reality miracles do happen every day in mostly simple ways. Sometimes something happens in our lives and we make the comment "What a coincidence!" I don't believe in coincidences. I think they are little hugs from heaven just at the right time when we need them. A year ago I was going through a rather difficult time health-wise and really felt like my time was short. I had lost all hope. A timely call from my sister who lives out of state came. (She seldom calls me) THAT was a miracle. My others sister soon called as well. It wasn't a healing or release from my struggles but it was what I needed at THAT moment to give me hope and continue forward. God was watching out for me and it came in the form of my sisters.

President Kimball said: "The Lord does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other." President Monson was a person who showed us how to serve, and his life was full of many examples. I believe that many miracles come through the acts of timely service from others.

Gradles, I'm so sorry about your precious child's trial with cancer. I wouldn't wish that on anybody and can't imagine the pain and stress mentally and physically that it causes. May God uplift you and strengthen you and your little one through this.
Last edited by kittycat51 on January 11th, 2018, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

JohnnyL wrote: January 9th, 2018, 9:33 am Do you read Latter-day Voices in the Ensign?
No I don't, I haven't read the Ensign in a coon's age.

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

kittycat51 wrote: January 9th, 2018, 9:59 am I think most believe that miracles are mighty in results, such as when Christ healed the blind, deaf, those who couldn't walk and most impressive of all, raising the dead. In reality miracles do happen every day in mostly simple ways. Sometimes something happens in our lives and we make the comment "What a coincidence!" I don't believe in coincidences. I think they are little hugs from heaven just at the right time when we need them. A year ago I was going through a rather difficult time health-wise and really felt like my time was short. I had lost all hope. A timely call from my sister who lives out of state came. (She seldom calls me) THAT was a miracle. My others sister soon called as well. It wasn't a healing or release from my struggles but it was what I needed at THAT moment to give me hope and continue forward. God was watching out for me and it came in the form of my sisters.

President Kimball said: "The Lord does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other." President Monson was a person who showed us how to serve, and his life was full of many examples. I believe that many miracles come through that acts of timely service from others.

Gradles, I'm so sorry about your precious child's trial with cancer. I wouldn't wish that on anybody and can't imagine the pain and stress mentally and physically that it causes. May God uplift you and strengthen you and your little one through this.
Thank you for your words. However, In my opinion, I think that what you are describing are tender mercies, I think there is a difference between a miracle and a tender mercy.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

gradles21 wrote: January 9th, 2018, 10:17 am
JohnnyL wrote: January 9th, 2018, 9:33 am Do you read Latter-day Voices in the Ensign?
Sounds like a great place to start!

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

"Often, the Lord’s timing of His tender mercies helps us to both discern and acknowledge them."

Post by BeNotDeceived »

gradles21 wrote: January 9th, 2018, 10:22 am
kittycat51 wrote: January 9th, 2018, 9:59 am I think most believe that miracles are mighty in results, such as when Christ healed the blind, deaf, those who couldn't walk and most impressive of all, raising the dead. In reality miracles do happen every day in mostly simple ways. Sometimes something happens in our lives and we make the comment "What a coincidence!" I don't believe in coincidences. I think they are little hugs from heaven just at the right time when we need them. A year ago I was going through a rather difficult time health-wise and really felt like my time was short. I had lost all hope. A timely call from my sister who lives out of state came. (She seldom calls me) THAT was a miracle. My others sister soon called as well. It wasn't a healing or release from my struggles but it was what I needed at THAT moment to give me hope and continue forward. God was watching out for me and it came in the form of my sisters.

President Kimball said: "The Lord does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other." President Monson was a person who showed us how to serve, and his life was full of many examples. I believe that many miracles come through that acts of timely service from others.

Thank you for your words. However, In my opinion, I think that what you are describing are tender mercies, I think there is a difference between a miracle and a tender mercy.

Tender Mercies is the title of Elder Bednar's first address in General Conference. In it he specifically said "Often, the Lord’s timing of His tender mercies helps us to both discern and acknowledge them."
lds.org wrote: A miracle is an extraordinary event caused by the power of God.
Tender Mercies are extraordinary events that do indeed meet the definition of what is a miracle.

A few years ago I came across a thread here, about new revelations given since the manifesto. This one wasn't mentioned, so it shows how much is often missed, even by those that you think may have the "ears to hear". Unusual timing seems intuitive taken with many grains of salt, but finally a GA had put words to the idea.

GA was letters recently derived from a weird dream of unusual timing. Though tragic, the news reporter in the second video posted to this thread also remarks that "the timing is crazy". 8-)

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

gradles21 wrote: January 9th, 2018, 10:22 am

I agree it was miraculous when Christ healed the blind man with spit and mud, or when he told the lame to stand and walk. But it was no less miraculous when he required a sustained effort to effect the miracle (consider in the Old Testament when Naaman was told to wash 7 times in the Jordan River.)

Many of the miracles for the Israelites escaping Egypt came very slowly, hindered by the lack of faith of the people they lived with (like Caleb and Joshua.)

I have experienced quick and slow miracles. I have been healed in an evening from some illnesses after a blessing. I have also spent years acting on the promptings I received to overcome weak fertility. In both cases the cure was not what a doctor or society told me, it came from listening to the Spirit and acting in faith even when the request didn't make sense. Still, I trusted the Lord, acted in faith and where my first few children came 3 years apart my last few came 2 years apart. His promised miracle was fulfilled in his time according to my obedience to his instruction through priesthood blessings and the Spirit.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

gradles21 wrote: January 9th, 2018, 10:17 am
Neither have I, but I listen to it every single month. If you have a smart phone you can download the LDS Gospel Library app, download magazine issues, and stream audio recordings of the articles.

On the subject of miracles, February of last year circumstances forced me to leave Washington state. After a friend in Orem encouraged me to move to Utah, I prayed about the idea then did so. Leaving the Seattle area I was listening to my preferred country music station. When I lost reception, I started streaming songs from my phone. Coming through Bountiful two days later, I turned the radio back on. The frequency I was tuned to in Seattle is assigned to a station in the Salt Lake area, and the song that was starting as I went to radio was nothing short of a miracle and a clear message to me. Here's the music video for that song:
Try telling me that wasn't a miracle. You will never convince me it was anything less.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

Just today I experienced a miracle. Yesterday I had enough energy to clean up after my dog outside in the cold. If I had waited till today, when it was warm, it would have been messy and smelly. I have marveled at how God helped me get that chore done when it was frozen and easy to clean up as I have nausea from morning sickness and I do not handle icky smells very well.

I notice miracles happen when we are light hearted and following the spirit without really knowing it, and it seems like a small deal. Who knows how many times we have thwarted Satan's greatest attacks by our lightheartedness and good cheer.

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

Juliet wrote: January 9th, 2018, 9:09 pm Just today I experienced a miracle. Yesterday I had enough energy to clean up after my dog outside in the cold. If I had waited till today, when it was warm, it would have been messy and smelly. I have marveled at how God helped me get that chore done when it was frozen and easy to clean up as I have nausea from morning sickness and I do not handle icky smells very well.

I notice miracles happen when we are light hearted and following the spirit without really knowing it, and it seems like a small deal. Who knows how many times we have thwarted Satan's greatest attacks by our lightheartedness and good cheer.
Juliet, from your other posts I do realise you are a lovely person...but surely you are not serious here?

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

dafty wrote: January 9th, 2018, 7:24 am
gradles21 wrote: January 9th, 2018, 6:50 am In the last decade, cancer and other critical illnesses have have hit my family really hard, including my own two year old's cancer battle. I mention this not because I want pity, but to help make my point. But with all these issues it has led me many times to the topic of miracles. I know what the scriptures have to say about God being a God of miracles, specifically Mormon ch. 9, but it just seems to me that we don't see miracles anymore. And if we are still have miracles then why don't we hear about them, and why are people discouraged to talk about them? It seems like the early saints had no problems sharing their miracles, as well as the saints in biblical times. Is it strictly a lack of faith in our times?
I personally think we do not see any miracles, but I bet many will disagree with me here. Anyhow, I hope God will bless you and your family with many miracles that you will be able to share with us.All the best xxx
I think I tend to agree with you, but the question is why don't we have them like the saints of old? Most of the replies that I've seen, to me, are tender mercies, and I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trivializing Tender Mercies, I know how important and how faith promoting they can be. To me miracles are "extraordinary events" where intelligence changes and obeys the power of God.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

gradles21,

think I tend to agree with you, but the question is why don't we have them like the saints of old? Most of the replies that I've seen, to me, are tender mercies, and I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trivializing Tender Mercies, I know how important and how faith promoting they can be. To me miracles are "extraordinary events" where intelligence changes and obeys the power of God.
The problem isn't that there aren't miracles, the problem is that doubters don't see them. When I was young, there was no speed limit in Nevada. I was foolishly driving to Las Vegas on I-15 at about 140 mph, when my car started to shake. I pulled it over, and found that 3 of 5 lug bolts on the left front wheel had sheered off.

Was it a Miracle that the other 2 didn't break and my car didn't flip over at 140 mph? I say so, but you can not see it and doubt it if you want.

So look and see the miracles around you instead of whining about the fact that they aren't dramatic enough for you.

Regards,

George Clay

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

dafty wrote: January 10th, 2018, 1:57 am
Juliet wrote: January 9th, 2018, 9:09 pm Just today I experienced a miracle. Yesterday I had enough energy to clean up after my dog outside in the cold. If I had waited till today, when it was warm, it would have been messy and smelly. I have marveled at how God helped me get that chore done when it was frozen and easy to clean up as I have nausea from morning sickness and I do not handle icky smells very well.

Juliet, from your other posts I do realise you are a lovely person...but surely you are not serious here?
I am serious. What, do you not think God has a hand in the little blessings of our lives? To whom do you credit them?

True
captain of 100

Post by True »

gradles21 wrote: January 10th, 2018, 6:26 am
dafty wrote: January 9th, 2018, 7:24 am
I think I tend to agree with you, but the question is why don't we have them like the saints of old? Most of the replies that I've seen, to me, are tender mercies, and I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trivializing Tender Mercies, I know how important and how faith promoting they can be. To me miracles are "extraordinary events" where intelligence changes and obeys the power of God.
There have been a couple outright miracles happen in my family, specifically to my parents but they are not mine to share. They still do happen. Also angels appearing, also not mine to share.

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

Juliet wrote: January 10th, 2018, 8:23 am

I am serious. What, do you not think God has a hand in the little blessings of our lives? To whom do you credit them?
No, you are right.I just got a wrong impression that we are struggling to differentiate between 'little blessing' and miracles, thats all x

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

gclayjr wrote: January 10th, 2018, 7:07 am gradles21,

think I tend to agree with you, but the question is why don't we have them like the saints of old? Most of the replies that I've seen, to me, are tender mercies, and I hope it doesn't sound like I'm trivializing Tender Mercies, I know how important and how faith promoting they can be. To me miracles are "extraordinary events" where intelligence changes and obeys the power of God.
The problem isn't that there aren't miracles, the problem is that doubters don't see them. When I was young, there was no speed limit in Nevada. I was foolishly driving to Las Vegas on I-15 at about 140 mph, when my car started to shake. I pulled it over, and found that 3 of 5 lug bolts on the left front wheel had sheered off.

Was it a Miracle that the other 2 didn't break and my car didn't flip over at 140 mph? I say so, but you can not see it and doubt it if you want.

So look and see the miracles around you instead of whining about the fact that they aren't dramatic enough for you.

Regards,

George Clay
I hope that you have directed your comment at me or somebody else rather than the OP-a person whose 2 year old is fighting cancer...

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

dafty wrote: January 10th, 2018, 9:38 am
Juliet wrote: January 10th, 2018, 8:23 am

No, you are right.I just got a wrong impression that we are struggling to differentiate between 'little blessing' and miracles, thats all x
Ok, that's fair.

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

dafty,
I hope that you have directed your comment at me or somebody else rather than the OP-a person whose 2 year old is fighting cancer...
I am taking the OP at his word that he isn't using his story to get sympathy.

It is typical of liberals, like you, to drag out unassailable victims to make their points. so that nobody dare show the flaws in their arguments, simply because of their victim status.

It is sad that his 2 year old is struggling with cancer. It is sad that my sister is not only struggling with a vicious form of pancreatic cancer, and has not only had to go through massive Chemo-therapy, but operations removing much of her digestive tract.

Does this fact (and it is a fact) add one jot or tittle to either the facts or the validity of my argument?

Regards,

George Clay

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

gclayjr wrote: January 10th, 2018, 11:42 am dafty,

It is typical of liberals, like you, to drag out unassailable victims to make their points. so that nobody dare show the flaws in their arguments, simply because of their victim status.

It is sad that his 2 year old is struggling with cancer. It is sad that my sister is not only struggling with a vicious form of pancreatic cancer, and has not only had to go through massive Chemo-therapy, but operations removing much of her digestive tract.

Does this fact (and it is a fact) add one jot or tittle to either the facts or the validity of my argument?

Regards,

George Clay
It does, because otherwise your previous crude comment would be unjustifiable...go and sin no more x

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

dafty wrote: January 10th, 2018, 9:42 am

Regards,

George Clay
So "modern day miracles" only involve sick children?

This will really tick you off-

A few months ago I lost the keys to my car- the only set I have. It was a Saturday night and after a long work day around the house my wife promised the kids a drink and cookie at Swig's. My car was in the way of the other car so we were stuck. So my 13 year old son suggests that we pray. No kidding- I instantly thought of Aussieoi from this site who used this very thing as an example of how lame Mormons are -praying to find keys when there are starving kids in this world. So anywho, I say great idea, how about you offer the prayer? So while he's praying to find the keys, in my mind I see where the keys are- in a place I had already searched. So after the prayer I go back to the place and there they were, laid exactly where I saw them in my mind. Sure, a lot more important things go unchanged but God still answered the question my son asked Him so we could all go get a sugar drink which has no health value whatsoever. I think God is big enough to acknowledge the vital and critical issues but is still able pay attention to the trivial things. Miracle? I think so. All answered prayers are miracles IMO.

Go pound some sand if you need to.

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

shadow wrote: January 10th, 2018, 12:32 pm
dafty wrote: January 10th, 2018, 9:42 am

Regards,

George Clay
So "modern day miracles" only involve sick children?

This will really tick you off-

A few months ago I lost the keys to my car- the only set I have. It was a Saturday night and after a long work day around the house my wife promised the kids a drink and cookie at Swig's. My car was in the way of the other car so we were stuck. So my 13 year old son suggests that we pray. No kidding- I instantly thought of Aussieoi from this site who used this very thing as an example of how lame Mormons are -praying to find keys when there are starving kids in this world. So anywho, I say great idea, how about you offer the prayer? So while he's praying to find the keys, in my mind I see where the keys are- in a place I had already searched. So after the prayer I go back to the place and there they were, laid exactly where I saw them in my mind. Sure, a lot more important things go unchanged but God still answered the question my son asked Him so we could all go get a sugar drink which has no health value whatsoever. I think God is big enough to acknowledge the vital and critical issues but is still able pay attention to the trivial things. Miracle? I think so. All answered prayers are miracles IMO.

Go pound some sand if you need to.
First off, why would you put words in my mouth that I havent spoken? Did I say miracles involve healing sick children only? NOPE. I only suggested that there is a difference between tender mercies of God and outright miracles that defy human understanding.
Secondly, why would you think I would get ticked off? Do I appear as an angry and short tempered individual? Let me know, I may try to improve...
Thirdly? Praying for keys is lame? Well, I must be the lamest individual out there, cause Ive been doing it(passports, documents etc...you name them Ive done it) all my life and cant remember the last time I havent found/ 'received'. Having said that, I still argue these 'gifts'/answers from God do not constitute miracles. There is a difference between praying and God reaviling a path or a shortcut on a mountain trail so that you can reach your hostel before dusk and outright parting the sea to walk accross it on dry foot...
Lastly, all answered prayers to be considered miracles? 🤔, ok, fair enough, I have no argument against that.x
Last edited by dafty on January 10th, 2018, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

In Moses' day we called striking a rock with his staff and water pouring forth as a miracle, today we just call it a well. We are surrounded by miracles, but, we don't give God thanks nor credit for the enjoyment of them. Medicine does "miracles" at times, and of course, the Doctor we call god gets the credit, not God.
I have a friend who was diagnosed with a melanoma tumor on her neck. Prognosis was lousy. She is not cancer free. Medicine takes credit, when in reality, the tumor started shrinking right after her Priesthood blessing, and before any medical treatment began.
We like miracles that fit our preconceived notions of what they should look like. Look deeper.
Now that i have that off my chest, we are the recipients of miracles to the limits of our faith. If we don't receive more miracles, it is because we don't have the kind of faith needed to receive them. DC 111:11 applies here too: "I will order all things for your good, as fast as ye are able to receive them. Amen." They exist, we are not worthy of more than we receive. Instead of taking that burden on ourselves we look elsewhere. Ask and ye shall receive....

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

gclayjr wrote: January 10th, 2018, 11:42 am dafty,

Regards,

George Clay
1. I think you woke up on the wrong side of the bed. 2. Not sure why you decided to call me a whiner, that is the furthest thing from who I am, I just wanted to start a conversation about this topic. 3. As far as your story goes, it may or may not be a miracle. I could make the argument that you still had two lug nuts holding your tire on and you made the common sense decision to stop the car when it started shaking. Could there have been divine intervention? sure