Partners Forever

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
brianj
captain of 1,000

Re: Partners Forever

Post by brianj »

Robin Hood wrote: January 9th, 2018, 7:51 am Am I alone in thinking godhood sounds like a lot of hard work and worry?
That's an understatement!

Let's say, hypothetically, that 100 billion spirits have been or will be born on this planet. That means 150,000,000,000 spirit children needed to be conceived, created, and raised. After one third fell away, Heavenly Father had to think things through: what spirit would be given a body when and where? This took a great deal of insight and thought to maximize the number of children who would return home. Then He needs to give each of us individual attention throughout our mortal lives and maybe beyond to the final judgement, again to maximize opportunity and results for us. All of that is just for us on this planet. Let's not forget time and attention given to His wife or wives, His father and family.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Re: Partners Forever

Post by Juliet »

FreeDad wrote: January 8th, 2018, 11:42 am Imagine a couple who married and lived decent lives together. They loved each other very much. They had numerous contacts with members of the church but never joined. In the end, they both received a terrestrial glory. They never married in the temple so their union ended at death. But, what if they don't care about being married? Aren't they still together forever? What if they don't care about having spirit children? Again, aren't they together forever?
I like to consider myself literate in the gospel but have been lost with this. Although non-temple married couples will not inherit powers of godhood, what if they don't care as long as they're together forever?
When Elder Christofferson spoke to my stake, he said the church doesn't get you to heaven, that will always be a personal journey. The Church provides opportunity to build Zion and learn to love others.

If you found someone you want to be with for eternity, then you made it to the celestial kingdom. The Church is to help us grow to be able to get there but we have to do the work of getting there.

Ever since we took of the fruit, God acknowledged us as gods.

The church explains the steps of the latter but it is still your job to climb the latter. We are fully sovereign individuals with free will. As far as I'm concerned, we inherited powers of Godhood when we took of the fruit. If we can bear children in these mortals bodies, it is only going to get better from here.