BoM verses with Mystery

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.

BruceRGilbert
captain of 1,000

Re: BoM verses with Mystery

Post by BruceRGilbert »

2 Nephi 31:
3 For my soul delighteth in plainness; for after this manner doth the Lord God work among the children of men. For the Lord God giveth light unto the understanding; for he speaketh unto men according to their language, unto their understanding.
The "Simplicity" Test: Is the "mystery" easy to comprehend? Is the "mystery" easy to understand?

Comprehension is of the "mind" and has to do with the sensory "acuity" of being able to "symbolically and literally" see.
John 1:
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
"Seeing" has to do with "contrast" and "perception."
Doctrine and Covenants 88:
6 He that ascended up on high, as also he descended below all things, in that he comprehended all things, that he might be in all and through all things, the light of truth;
Abraham 4:
4 And they (the Gods) comprehended the light, for it was bright; and they divided the light, or caused it to be divided, from the darkness.
Ephesians 3:
14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
Understanding, as indicated by Elder Bednar from his book, "Act in Doctrine," has been identified in the Scriptures as coming from the heart . . . and not the head.
Isaiah 44:
18 They have not known nor understood: for he hath shut their eyes, that they cannot see; and their hearts, that they cannot understand.
Job 17:
4 For thou hast hid their heart from understanding: therefore shalt thou not exalt them.
Psalm 49:
3 My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart shall be of understanding.
Proverbs 20:
5 Counsel in the heart of man is like deep water; but a man of understanding will draw it out.
Mosiah 12:
27 Ye have not applied your hearts to understanding; therefore, ye have not been wise. Therefore, what teach ye this people?
John 12:
40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.
Mosiah 2:
9 And these are the words which he spake and caused to be written, saying: My brethren, all ye that have assembled yourselves together, you that can hear my words which I shall speak unto you this day; for I have not commanded you to come up hither to trifle with the words which I shall speak, but that you should hearken unto me, and open your ears that ye may hear, and your hearts that ye may understand, and your minds that the mysteries of God may be unfolded to your view.
1 Nephi 14
7 For the time cometh, saith the Lamb of God, that I will work a great and a marvelous work among the children of men; a work which shall be everlasting, either on the one hand or on the other—either to the convincing of them unto peace and life eternal, or unto the deliverance of them to the hardness of their hearts and the blindness of their minds unto their being brought down into captivity, and also into destruction, both temporally and spiritually, according to the captivity of the devil, of which I have spoken.
The "Congruence" Test: Is the "mystery" in harmony and "mesh" with current existing and revealed truth?
Doctrine and Covenants 10:
31 For, behold, they shall not accomplish their evil designs in lying against those words. For, behold, if you should bring forth the same words they will say that you have lied and that you have pretended to translate, but that you have contradicted yourself.
32 And, behold, they will publish this, and Satan will harden the hearts of the people to stir them up to anger against you, that they will not believe my words.
Isaiah 28:
9 Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.
10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.
13 But the word of the Lord was unto them precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little; that they might go, and fall backward, and be broken, and snared, and taken.
The "Nourishment" Test: Does the new association / revelation "enlighten" and "quicken" the mind? Does it "open the eyes of your understanding?"
Doctrine and Covenants 84:
69 In my name they shall open the eyes of the blind, and unstop the ears of the deaf;
;) (Literally and/or Symbolically speaking.)

The "Nurturing" Test: Does the "revelation" cause any "feeling" of "resonance" within? Are the "fruits" delicious to the taste?
Alma 32:
28 Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me.