Where have all the patrons gone?

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Where have all the patrons gone?

Post by Mark »

Col. Flagg wrote: January 5th, 2018, 2:54 pm
gkearney wrote: January 5th, 2018, 2:23 pm
Col. Flagg wrote: January 5th, 2018, 1:46 pm Mark, back together again old friend! :) Along with Natasha!! 8-)

The truth of the matter is that Joseph became a Mason before he instituted the temple endowment ceremony - I've seen and read about the ritual that goes on in Masonic temples and it is almost 100% identical with the exception of characters, symbols, signs, tokens and handshakes being changed to something entirely different for the temple endowment. All I can say is that I am glad I didn't go through any endowment sessions before 1990 or I might have never gone back. Good to hear from you though - hope all is well. :) Same with you Nat.
Now hold on here, I have been a Mason and an active temple attending Latter-day Saint my whole adult life. I went through the endowment prior to 1990 and further I have studied, lectured (before both LDS and Masonic audiences) and written extensively on the topic of the development of the endowment and Masonic rituals. While I am the first to admit parallels between the two and no, I do not hold to the idea of the endowment ritual originating in antiquity, even in my approach would never make the kind of sweeping statement that the endowment and the rituals of the Masonic lodge are anything close to "100% identical".

Take it from someone who has and continues to attend both the temple and the Masonic lodge. There are similarities and there are considerable differences, particularly so in the modern endowment.
90%? ;)

http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/changech22b.htm#535

So the Masons had it right before Joseph had the endowment ceremony revealed to him? If so, when and where did the Masons get it from? If the endowment was revealed to Joseph, then the Masons had it right (or were on the right track) and so why would it have to come through revelation if it was already being done (mostly) correct by the Masons? See the can of worms we're opening up?

Wow. You have over the past few years gone from saying that nothing would ever take you away from your firm testimony of the mission of the Prophet Joseph Smith and the restoration to now using any anti garbage you can find to try and undermine and discredit Joseph's proclamations of the divine origin of the sacred temple endowment and the ordinances of salvation. What's next?

Zowieink
captain of 100

Post by Zowieink »

Just finish my shift and again almost every session needed help with the circle. We did have two sessions with about 20 patrons each. Looking from a distance, it appears people are two busy with their lives but fail to appreciate to importance of Temple worship. As one of premier importance, it has been relegated to second class citizen status. It is not “cool” to go to the temple. This is not true for the youth who regularly come to the Temple. Yes, number of patrons is way, way down.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Zowieink wrote: January 5th, 2018, 10:36 pm Just finish my shift and again almost every session needed help with the circle. We did have two sessions with about 20 patrons each. Looking from a distance, it appears people are two busy with their lives but fail to appreciate to importance of Temple worship. As one of premier importance, it has been relegated to second class citizen status. It is not “cool” to go to the temple. This is not true for the youth who regularly come to the Temple. Yes, number of patrons is way, way down.
Several years ago, before the new temples in Phoenix and Gilbert were built, I lived in Mesa, and the temple there was very busy most of the time. I guess most of the active members are just leaving the cities of Mesa and Phoenix and moving out to the suburbs because it seems safer and, therefore, living closer to the new Gilbert and North Phoenix temples. Maybe the patrons you are looking for are still in AZ, just relocated.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Mark wrote: January 5th, 2018, 10:19 pm
Col. Flagg wrote: January 5th, 2018, 1:46 pm Mark, back together again old friend! :) Along with Natasha!! 8-)

The truth of the matter is that Joseph became a Mason before he instituted the temple endowment ceremony - I've seen and read about the ritual that goes on in Masonic temples and it is almost 100% identical with the exception of characters, symbols, signs, tokens and handshakes being changed to something entirely different for the temple endowment. All I can say is that I am glad I didn't go through any endowment sessions before 1990 or I might have never gone back. Good to hear from you though - hope all is well. :) Same with you Nat.
Now hold on here, I have been a Mason and an active temple attending Latter-day Saint my whole adult life. I went through the endowment prior to 1990 and further I have studied, lectured (before both LDS and Masonic audiences) and written extensively on the topic of the development of the endowment and Masonic rituals. While I am the first to admit parallels between the two and no, I do not hold to the idea of the endowment ritual originating in antiquity, even in my approach would never make the kind of sweeping statement that the endowment and the rituals of the Masonic lodge are anything close to "100% identical".

Take it from someone who has and continues to attend both the temple and the Masonic lodge. There are similarities and there are considerable differences, particularly so in the modern endowment.
90%? ;)

So the Masons had it right before Joseph had the endowment ceremony revealed to him? If so, when and where did the Masons get it from? If the endowment was revealed to Joseph, then the Masons had it right (or were on the right track) and so why would it have to come through revelation if it was already being done (mostly) correct by the Masons? See the can of worms we're opening up?

Wow. You have over the past few years gone from saying that nothing would ever take you away from your firm testimony of the mission of the Prophet Joseph Smith and the restoration to now using any anti garbage you can find to try and undermine and discredit Joseph's proclamations of the divine origin of the sacred temple endowment and the ordinances of salvation. What's next?
I'm not interested in anti-LDS anything Mark, just the truth, but you know that. It's interesting to note, however, that yesterday's 'anti-Mormon garbage' is now on lds.org as essays as the church attempts to become more transparent with the truth about our history. I'm a firm believer in the restored gospel Mark, but I'm not a firm believer in the infallibility of men - it is ironic that the phrase 'the philosophies of men mingled with scripture' is in the endowment itself. Any intellectually honest person cannot look at the Masonic temple ritual and the endowment and turn the other cheek without raising an eyebrow or asking questions... the parallels are far too similar. As usual, you're attacking the messenger because of something uncomfortable you would rather not contemplate. :( Ordinances done in the temple such as baptism, confirmation, sealings, etc. I firmly believe in, however, the endowment itself is far too similar to the Masonic temple ritual and it was going on long before Joseph instituted the endowment and also after he became a Freemason - that isn't 'anti-Mormon garbage' my friend, it is fact. Nat used to attack me because she didn't want to contemplate the truth about 9/11. A few years ago you attacked me and questioned my faith in the church and brethren when I was posting information regarding corporate compensation the brethren were receiving and the fact that we don't have an all 'lay-clergy' as the church has been conveying to the members for a very long time based on first hand knowledge I had of it, with you asserting it was nothing but rumor, speculation and anti-Mormon propaganda until Pres. Eyring's pay stub was leaked from 1999 showing his $92,000+ salary. So please stop with the insults and accusations of losing my testimony because they're old and unfounded.
Last edited by Col. Flagg on January 6th, 2018, 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

Wife submitted lots of names to the temple some more than 7 years ago, that have never been processed for endowments as there is a large gender gap between male and female patrons.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

Col. Flagg wrote: January 6th, 2018, 8:49 am I'm not interested in anti-LDS anything Mark, just the truth, but you know that. It's interesting to note, however, that yesterday's 'anti-Mormon garbage' is now on lds.org as essays as the church attempts to become more transparent with the truth about our history. I'm a firm believer in the restored gospel Mark, but I'm not a firm believer in the infallibility of men - it is ironic that the phrase 'the philosophies of men mingled with scripture' is in the endowment itself. Any intellectually honest person cannot look at the Masonic temple ritual and the endowment and turn the other cheek without raising an eyebrow or asking questions... the parallels are far too similar. As usual, you're attacking the messenger because of something uncomfortable you would rather not contemplate. :( Ordinances done in the temple such as baptism, confirmation, sealings, etc. I firmly believe in, however, the endowment itself is far too similar to the Masonic temple ritual and it was going on long before Joseph instituted the endowment and also after he became a Freemason - that isn't 'anti-Mormon garbage' my friend, it is fact.
Total rubbish, what is taut in the endowment is not taught by any other organization. Stop sleeping through the endowment and you might learn something.

BringerOfJoy
captain of 100

Post by BringerOfJoy »

I did a ridiculous amount of family history and temple work from 1974 when I joined the church as an adult convert until about 2014. But I quit, as I came to understand that, in Nauvoo, the saints did NOT do as instructed and were then cursed along with their dead. (See D&C 124). I came to understand that while, ironically, serving a senior mission out in Mormon history country. You might be able to make a case that baptisms for the dead still had some effect, since the church retained the power to baptize (Aaronic), but certainly, the rest of it got all messed up from the death of Brigham forward. We were sealing ourselves to the WRONG "Fathers." Oops! (Not in my case, since I couldn't be sealed to my parents, thus I couldn't be sealed back at all, since until very recently my mom was still alive). Still, I keep track of it all, because I have hopes that we will overturn that curse in the future. And just because it's interesting. And because I'm trying to solve some interesting DNA mysteries that popped up.

Maybe there are more folks reading Snuffer's "Passing the Heavenly Gift" in Mesa, than I would have guessed.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Spaced_Out wrote: January 6th, 2018, 1:34 pm
Col. Flagg wrote: January 6th, 2018, 8:49 am I'm not interested in anti-LDS anything Mark, just the truth, but you know that. It's interesting to note, however, that yesterday's 'anti-Mormon garbage' is now on lds.org as essays as the church attempts to become more transparent with the truth about our history. I'm a firm believer in the restored gospel Mark, but I'm not a firm believer in the infallibility of men - it is ironic that the phrase 'the philosophies of men mingled with scripture' is in the endowment itself. Any intellectually honest person cannot look at the Masonic temple ritual and the endowment and turn the other cheek without raising an eyebrow or asking questions... the parallels are far too similar. As usual, you're attacking the messenger because of something uncomfortable you would rather not contemplate. :( Ordinances done in the temple such as baptism, confirmation, sealings, etc. I firmly believe in, however, the endowment itself is far too similar to the Masonic temple ritual and it was going on long before Joseph instituted the endowment and also after he became a Freemason - that isn't 'anti-Mormon garbage' my friend, it is fact.
Total rubbish, what is taut in the endowment is not taught by any other organization. Stop sleeping through the endowment and you might learn something.
The issue isn't what is taught, it's the eerie similarities in the ceremonies themselves (secret oaths, handshakes, signs, tokens, dress, etc.)

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

Col. Flagg wrote: January 6th, 2018, 8:49 am
Mark wrote: January 5th, 2018, 10:19 pm

90%? ;)

I'm not interested in anti-LDS anything Mark, just the truth, but you know that. It's interesting to note, however, that yesterday's 'anti-Mormon garbage' is now on lds.org as essays as the church attempts to become more transparent with the truth about our history. I'm a firm believer in the restored gospel Mark, but I'm not a firm believer in the infallibility of men - it is ironic that the phrase 'the philosophies of men mingled with scripture' is in the endowment itself. Any intellectually honest person cannot look at the Masonic temple ritual and the endowment and turn the other cheek without raising an eyebrow or asking questions... the parallels are far too similar. As usual, you're attacking the messenger because of something uncomfortable you would rather not contemplate. :( Ordinances done in the temple such as baptism, confirmation, sealings, etc. I firmly believe in, however, the endowment itself is far too similar to the Masonic temple ritual and it was going on long before Joseph instituted the endowment and also after he became a Freemason - that isn't 'anti-Mormon garbage' my friend, it is fact. Nat used to attack me for my stance, information and speaking the truth about 9/11. A few years ago you attacked me and questioned my faith in the church and brethren when I was posting information regarding compensation the brethren were receiving based on first hand knowledge I had of it asserting it was nothing but rumor, speculation and anti-Mormon propaganda and how dare I and we know how that turned out don't we?

I will speak plainly to you brother. Pres. Faust years ago gave a talk where he referred to Satan as the great imitator. That is what he does. He will take something pure and sacred and will imitate it so as to create a false or deceptive trail for one to go down. Such is the case with the temple endowment. Joseph received the ordinances of the temple thru revelation. He testified of that in no uncertain terms. By creating this false and misleading paradigm you have expressed that he just copied Masonic ritual in the endowment with no real revelatory power behind it you are in reality joining forces with those who seek to impugn Joseph's character and paint him to be nothing more than a charlatan and a deceiver. Is that where you want to go here?

I went to the temple today and listened closely to the laws of the Gospel and the covenant promises we make to honor and obey those laws. Think about those particular laws of obedience and sacrifice and consecration and chastity. Do you really think Joseph was just copying Masonic ritual when we are asked to make solemn promises to honor Priesthood covenants made in the Lords house? If there were not any imitations found as it relates to the signs and tokens of the Priesthood I would get a little worried. Satan will do anything to throw someone off the correct path. There is no limits to his deceptive methods. By using the article you presented you are falling right into that trap of questioning Joseph's legitimacy and standing as the Lords final dispensational Prophet. Are you sure that is the path you want to take now? Think long and hard before pursuing that path.

LeastDisplayOfMind
captain of 10

Post by LeastDisplayOfMind »

Zowieink wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 3:56 pm Perhaps we are too much like the Nephites, which means the Lord is gonna smack us really bad to bring us back to what's really important. If He does, our lifestyles, prosperity, jobs, etc. etc. etc. will change dramatically. I really don't want to live through another 2009/2010 or worse!!!
It has been months since I have participated in temple ordinances. Thanks for the call to repentance. It was sorely needed.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

BringerOfJoy wrote: January 6th, 2018, 2:03 pm I did a ridiculous amount of family history and temple work from 1974 when I joined the church as an adult convert until about 2014. But I quit, as I came to understand that, in Nauvoo, the saints did NOT do as instructed and were then cursed along with their dead. (See D&C 124). I came to understand that while, ironically, serving a senior mission out in Mormon history country. You might be able to make a case that baptisms for the dead still had some effect, since the church retained the power to baptize (Aaronic), but certainly, the rest of it got all messed up from the death of Brigham forward. We were sealing ourselves to the WRONG "Fathers." Oops! (Not in my case, since I couldn't be sealed to my parents, thus I couldn't be sealed back at all, since until very recently my mom was still alive). Still, I keep track of it all, because I have hopes that we will overturn that curse in the future. And just because it's interesting. And because I'm trying to solve some interesting DNA mysteries that popped up.

Maybe there are more folks reading Snuffer's "Passing the Heavenly Gift" in Mesa, than I would have guessed.
Just another casualty to the Snuffer misinformation campaign. It must be nice to sit up in an ivory tower and cast judgements down on ALL the early Saints and their kindred dead. And speaking of Section 124 I guess you stopped reading at verse 48. You should have continued on for a few more verses. Pity that you fell for Snuffers selective application here. I'm glad the Lord is merciful to his children no matter what you happen to think of Him..

49 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that when I give a commandment to any of the sons of men to do a work unto my name, and those sons of men go with all their might and with all they have to perform that work, and cease not their diligence, and their enemies come upon them and hinder them from performing that work, behold, it behooveth me to require that work no more at the hands of those sons of men, but to accept of their offerings.

50 And the iniquity and transgression of my holy laws and commandments I will visit upon the heads of those who hindered my work, unto the third and fourth generation, so long as they repent not, and hate me, saith the Lord God.

51 Therefore, for this cause have I accepted the offerings of those whom I commanded to build up a city and a house unto my name, in Jackson county, Missouri, and were hindered by their enemies, saith the Lord your God.

52 And I will answer judgment, wrath, and indignation, wailing, and anguish, and gnashing of teeth upon their heads, unto the third and fourth generation, so long as they repent not, and hate me, saith the Lord your God.

53 And this I make an example unto you, for your consolation concerning all those who have been commanded to do a work and have been hindered by the hands of their enemies, and by oppression, saith the Lord your God.

54 For I am the Lord your God, and will save all those of your brethren who have been pure in heart, and have been slain in the land of Missouri, saith the Lord.

Mark
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Mark »

JohnnyL wrote: January 5th, 2018, 8:53 am
Mark wrote: January 4th, 2018, 2:19 pm Look into Kung fu and CHI power as practiced by inner circle monks in the Shaolin temple. Eerie similarities. So many fascinating parallels.
Reference(s)?
This came from the Sept 1987 issue of Karate/Kung Fu Illustrated that I came across years ago. It was titled CHARGE UP YOUR CHI- EIGHT NEWLY REVEALED SHAOLIN SECRETS. Fascinating stuff. As I said before this goes back millennia. To Adam actually. I wish people like the Col. and others who are taken in by the boat load of deceptive misinformation published by enemies of the church would begin to recognize their methods and intent. Deception comes in all varieties and packages. Satan is one clever devil..
Last edited by Mark on January 7th, 2018, 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

samizdat
captain of 1,000

Post by samizdat »

Col. Flagg wrote: January 4th, 2018, 1:39 pm It may have to do with the fact that more and more members of the church are learning about the parallels between the Masonic temple rituals and what takes place in ours, especially the eerie similarities and almost identical procedures that go on in the endowment ceremony. :(

The simplest explanation is not necessarily the most accurate.

If you read up on the Muslim hajj, it is simply in all intents and purposes an extremely drawn out version of the temple endowment.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

samizdat wrote: January 7th, 2018, 9:21 am If you read up on the Muslim hajj, it is simply in all intents and purposes an extremely drawn out version of the temple endowment.
I don't quite agree with you on this. Some parts, such as wearing a white cloth draped over the left shoulder and tied on the right side of the body, are reminiscent of parts of the endowment. But I can't think of anything in the temple that equates to stoning the devil. I have heard the Kaaba equated to the Holy of Holies in the Israeli tabernacle and Jewish temples; we don't have anything that equates to walking in a circle around the Holy of Holies seven times. We also don't have anything that begins to equate with drinking sacred water from Zamzam well.

If there was once a relationship between the Hajj and Endowment, it has been so bastardized over the centuries that it is completely unrecognizable to me as such.

pollibird
captain of 100

Post by pollibird »

Zoewieink, when I lived in Tucson, the Mesa temple was in our temple district and that temple will always have a special place in my heart. We would drive to the temple once or twice a month. My wife wanted to get sealed in the Gilbert temple and we did on the second day after it opened.
I know to well what you are talking of. There were several times when at the Gilbert temple there would be 3 brothers and 5 or 6 sister's. You know how big that temple is. Its big! I felt sad inside that so many are not doing the work.
Now we live in North Logan, my wife works in the temple laundry. Many times she comes home early because the temple is very slow. I think attendance is somewhat better than AZ. We go once a week now that we're so close.
Since President Monson's passing the Logan temple seems very busy. Is that the same in Mesa?
I don't have a solution as to what would increase attendance. That is in God's hands. His will be done. That is a primary reason we try to be prepared...tithing etc.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

We are invited to escalate our faith. There's not a lot of time left. We need to do as much as we can to help those in need and get as much temple work done as we can.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

pollibird wrote: January 8th, 2018, 9:18 pm Zoewieink, when I lived in Tucson, the Mesa temple was in our temple district and that temple will always have a special place in my heart. We would drive to the temple once or twice a month. My wife wanted to get sealed in the Gilbert temple and we did on the second day after it opened.
I know to well what you are talking of. There were several times when at the Gilbert temple there would be 3 brothers and 5 or 6 sister's. You know how big that temple is. Its big! I felt sad inside that so many are not doing the work.
Now we live in North Logan, my wife works in the temple laundry. Many times she comes home early because the temple is very slow. I think attendance is somewhat better than AZ. We go once a week now that we're so close.
Since President Monson's passing the Logan temple seems very busy. Is that the same in Mesa?
I don't have a solution as to what would increase attendance. That is in God's hands. His will be done. That is a primary reason we try to be prepared...tithing etc.
We went to the temple on Saturday, and it was packed like I've never seen it before.

Either Pres. Monson, or new year resolutions that will hopefully not fizzle out in February.

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

Mark wrote: January 4th, 2018, 2:19 pm
Col. Flagg wrote: January 4th, 2018, 1:39 pm It may have to do with the fact that more and more members of the church are learning about the parallels between the Masonic temple rituals and what takes place in ours, especially the eerie similarities and almost identical procedures that go on in the endowment ceremony. :(
Sounds like Aussie has been feeding you more of his anti clap trap. Just shows how little you really understand about the temple ordinances. They go back to Adam. REVELATION IS THE KEY. There are many imitations out there. Look into Kung fu and CHI power as practiced by inner circle monks in the Shaolin temple. Eerie similarities. So many fascinating parallels. Taken in context it should build ones faith in the endowment and all the ordinances of the temple,not tear it down. Get educated and don't fall for all the deceptive misinformation circulating at the speed of the internet. JOSEPH RECEIVED THE ENDOWMENT THRU REVELATION. Gain that testimony by the power of the spirit or you will soon be toast.
I too believe that "JOSEPH RECEIVED THE ENDOWMENT THRU REVELATION". Joseph also said this about what he received.
"Ordinances instituted in the heavens before the foundation of the world, in the priesthood, for the salvation of men, are not to be altered or changed." (Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith, pp412-422)
Did you get that? The ordinances...are not to be altered or changed."

In my lifetime the ordinances have been changed dozens of times. When I went through the initiatory ordinances I was actually washed, anointed, and clothed. We now have an ordinance where we are neither washed, anointed or clothed. I am a witness to the fact that the washing, anointing, and clothing ordinances have been "altered or changed". We are very quick to criticize, especially the Catholics for changing ordinances; however, when we do it, even against the council of the Man who communed with Jehovah, we conveniently turn a blind eye. Could this be one of the reasons why the numbers of the patrons have gone down?

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

What I’d be interested in seeing is a breakdown of the statistics regarding which ordinances in the temple are on the decline – does anyone know if the church produces individual temple ordinance statistics as opposed to just overall temple attendance?

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

investigator wrote: January 9th, 2018, 9:49 am
Sounds like Aussie has been feeding you more of his anti clap trap. Just shows how little you really understand about the temple ordinances. They go back to Adam. REVELATION IS THE KEY. There are many imitations out there. Look into Kung fu and CHI power as practiced by inner circle monks in the Shaolin temple. Eerie similarities. So many fascinating parallels. Taken in context it should build ones faith in the endowment and all the ordinances of the temple,not tear it down. Get educated and don't fall for all the deceptive misinformation circulating at the speed of the internet. JOSEPH RECEIVED THE ENDOWMENT THRU REVELATION. Gain that testimony by the power of the spirit or you will soon be toast.
I too believe that "JOSEPH RECEIVED THE ENDOWMENT THRU REVELATION". Joseph also said this about what he received.
"Ordinances instituted in the heavens before the foundation of the world, in the priesthood, for the salvation of men, are not to be altered or changed." (Teachings of the Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith, pp412-422)

In my lifetime the ordinances have been changed dozens of times. When I went through the initiatory ordinances I was actually washed, anointed, and clothed. We now have an ordinance where we are neither washed, anointed or clothed. I am a witness to the fact that the washing, anointing, and clothing ordinances have been "altered or changed". We are very quick to criticize, especially the Catholics for changing ordinances; however, when we do it, even against the council of the Man who communed with Jehovah, we conveniently turn a blind eye. Could this be one of the reasons why the numbers of the patrons have gone down?
The Lord is the same yesterday, today and forever - why would anything change as it pertains to the restored gospel??? Great post Investigator! I would surmise two things as to why there have been changes... the fallibility of men and the philosophies of men mingled with scripture.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

Col. Flagg wrote: January 9th, 2018, 1:03 pm
investigator wrote: January 9th, 2018, 9:49 am

The Lord is the same yesterday, today and forever - why would anything change as it pertains to the restored gospel??? Great post Investigator! I would surmise two things as to why there have been changes... the fallibility of men and the philosophies of men mingled with scripture.
How many times did Jospeh change the ordinance of sacrament in his lifetime?? Lots. Could it mean something else if that is the case? (YES) Important to look at what was changed and what was not to understand what he is referring to.

DesertWonderer2
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer2 »

Col. Flagg wrote: January 9th, 2018, 12:59 pm What I’d be interested in seeing is a breakdown of the statistics regarding which ordinances in the temple are on the decline – does anyone know if the church produces individual temple ordinance statistics as opposed to just overall temple attendance?
Why?

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

DesertWonderer2 wrote: January 9th, 2018, 3:33 pm
Col. Flagg wrote: January 9th, 2018, 12:59 pm What I’d be interested in seeing is a breakdown of the statistics regarding which ordinances in the temple are on the decline – does anyone know if the church produces individual temple ordinance statistics as opposed to just overall temple attendance?
Why?
Hope the data for baptisms, confirmations and sealings isn't declining along with endowment participation.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I have yet to, but I will check with our Temple here to see if numbers are down.

As to the male female attendance split, i had noticed also that there frequently seemed to be more female than male. But that was when I was most attending, which was weekdays during the day.
I think we can assume that many men were working at that time, and the wife, perhaps not working, would then attend the Temple. Also widows.

However, there were a few occasions where there were more men. I think it just depends on what else is going on. I think that was near to the first Saturday women's session of conference, and thus perhaps the sisters were headed to Salt Lake, or just lining up for their conference talks. People do prepare for that, you know.

I did like the comments about Provo, City Center I believe you mean. I was there only once, almost two years ago when they had just opened. Yes, crowded, not much parking, waiting for the next session. But it was indeed a likeable Temple, just stuck into the urban crowded environment.

The most important factor to me is the live session. Watching a movie. I don't watch tv or movies. So I don't want to watch a movie in the Temple.
I like real, live, living and breathing people, with their mistakes showing their humanity, even if some of them are old. Being a little bit old, I no longer have any contempt for old people. Or not much anyway, for most of them, mostly.
dc

Zowieink
captain of 100

Post by Zowieink »

Here’s and interesting RUMOR! Elder Bednar recently spoke at a devotional at BYU Idaho. After the meeting he visited with a few people, one of which is the Grand daughter of a initiatory coordinator at my temple. Here’s the rumor....when asked what the greatest concern of the First Presidency and the 12, he said “apathy”. He went on, “Apathy of the members toward Temple duty, tithes and offerings, sac. Mtg. Especially in Idaho, Utah, and Arizona. Hmmmmm.....interesting.