President Monson Dies at 10:00pm on Tuesday

For discussing the Church, Gospel of Jesus Christ, Mormonism, etc.
drtanner
captain of 1,000

President Monson Dies at 10:00pm on Tuesday

Post by drtanner »

We thank thee oh God for a prophet:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... escue.html

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Re: President Monson Dies at 10:00pm on Tuesday

Post by Matchmaker »

A Bishop at 22 and an Apostle at 36. Such a charitable man and a remarkable example of a man who magnified his Priesthood for the good of others! Thank you, President Monson, for an amazing life of service.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

https://www.lds.org/people/thomas-s-mon ... _&lang=eng

"Thomas Spencer Monson, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, passed away on January 2, 2018, ( US time) at the age of 90.
On October 16, 1963, Thomas Spencer Monson, age 36, stood at the pulpit in the Salt Lake Tabernacle at general conference. Newly called to lifelong service as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, the youngest in 53 years, he bore testimony, saying, “I know that God lives, my brothers and sisters. There is no question in my mind. I know that this is His work.”
His life, not just his years of service in the highest quorums of the Church, were marked by his constant attention to those in need. For more than 50 years, President Monson reached out to rescue the lonely, bereft, unnoticed, and unrecognized. He gave the clothes off his back and the shoes off his feet; he spent countless hours with widows and those in care centers and hospitals; he gave comfort and encouragement to those discouraged, lacking faith, or far from home; he shared his cheerful nature with anyone in his path. “I know that the sweetest experience in all this life is to feel His promptings as He directs us in the furtherance of His work.” Familiar to so many of his visits to the elderly, sometimes late in the evening, was their welcome, “I knew you’d come.”
Each of us can do something to help someone was his theme for decades. He taught, “Unless we lose ourselves in service to others, there is little purpose to our own lives.” His reminder of the Lord’s service is clear: “He is our Redeemer; He is our Mediator with the Father. He loves us with a love we cannot fully comprehend, and because He loves us, He gave His life for us.”
Thomas S. Monson spent countless hours with widows and those in care centers and hospitals, giving comfort and encouragement. “We seek after Jesus and so it has ever been,” President Monson has explained. “No search is so universal. No undertaking so richly rewarding. No effort so ennobling. No purpose so divine.”
“He is our Master. He is our Savior. He is the Son of God. He is the Author of our salvation. He beckons, ‘Follow me.’ He instructs, ‘Go, and do thou likewise.’ He pleads, ‘Keep my commandments.’ Let us follow Him. Let us emulate His example. Let us obey His words.”
His words were telling: “Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world. This is the Jesus whom we seek,” President Monson has said. “This is our brother whom we love. This is Christ the Lord, whom we serve. I testify that He lives, for I speak as one who has found Him.”

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

Oh what a joyful reunion that took place last night with his sweet wife! I would love to witness something like that. President Monson has always been there my whole life as an apostle. (I was a Senior in High School when President Nelson was sustained as an apostle)

Pray for President Nelson as the weight soon falls on his shoulders at the ripe age of 93! Also the 12 is down 2 members now, so first thing on President Nelson will be to fill those 2 spots.

God Bless President Thomas S. Monson.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

kittycat51 wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 9:16 am Also the 12 is down 2 members now, so first thing on President Nelson will be to fill those 2 spots.
There was a Deseret News article around the time that the last 3 apostles died close together and the amount of extra work it adds is significant. They talked about how long just the missionary assignments took for an apostle and at their age, they must have angels on each shoulder helping. Hopefully they get 2 good new apostles before April conference. Looking forward to President Nelson speaking as the Prophet of the church. He and his wife already have a Worldwide Face to Face Event for Youth in exactly a month.

The prophet of the Lord died today and none of the news outlets here are even reporting it. Such is the world today.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

"Thomas Spencer Monson:
Born August 21, 1927, in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
Served in the U.S. Naval Reserve.
Studied business at the University of Utah.
Married Frances Johnson on October 7, 1948, in the Salt Lake Temple.
Called to be a bishop at age 22, a counselor in the stake presidency at age 27, and a mission president in Canada at age 31.
Became an Apostle in 1963 at age 36—the youngest Apostle called since 1910.
Earned a master’s degree in business administration while serving as an Apostle.
Served as a counselor in the First Presidency for 22 years.
Set apart and ordained as the 16th President of the Church on February 3, 2008."

Sirocco
Praise Me!

Post by Sirocco »

Sunain wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 9:45 am
kittycat51 wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 9:16 am Also the 12 is down 2 members now, so first thing on President Nelson will be to fill those 2 spots.
There was a Deseret News article around the time that the last 3 apostles died close together and the amount of extra work it adds is significant. They talked about how long just the missionary assignments took for an apostle and at their age, they must have angels on each shoulder helping. Hopefully they get 2 good new apostles before April conference. Looking forward to President Nelson speaking as the Prophet of the church. He and his wife already have a Worldwide Face to Face Event for Youth in exactly a month.

The prophet of the Lord died today and none of the news outlets here are even reporting it. Such is the world today.
i found out about it from a Trump meme page where it compared a rather negative release about President Monson and a rather kinder release (when it happened) about Fidel Castro.
The people in the comments were kind, which was nice (and plenty of anti communist jabs).

Not everyone is as vile as fake news CNN and such.
Which is good, there is good in humanity.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

The funeral will be at noon MST Friday.
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... onson.html

Bummer for me. If it was on Saturday, I would attend.

I'm glad he's with his wife. I look forward to President Nelson, assuming the current pattern holds.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Elizabeth wrote: January 3rd, 2018, 10:04 am "Thomas Spencer Monson:
Called to be a bishop at age 22, a counselor in the stake presidency at age 27, and a mission president in Canada at age 31.
Earned a master’s degree in business administration while serving as an Apostle.
Set apart and ordained as the 16th President of the Church on February 3, 2008."
Given this life time of church service, I am curious as to how President Monson has a net worth of $14million.

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

10:01 pm :)

DesertWonderer2
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer2 »

Robin Hood wrote: January 4th, 2018, 7:31 am
Given this life time of church service, I am curious as to how President Monson has a net worth of $14million.
1. How do youknow this is the cese?
2. If true, why is it relevant?
3. If true, he’s a smart guy; it wouldn’t be really surprising.
4. One half-way decent real-estate investment would net that.

ebenezerarise
captain of 1,000

Post by ebenezerarise »

President Monson lives in the same house he purchased when first married. He's a VERY modest man. This is personal information that I have from reliable sources who have been with him day and night for the past 20+ years.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Well his even modest home in a desirable area of Salt Lake City would be part of that. If he were careful with his investments over a lifetime you could do quite well. Also there is the value of his church pension. It is perfectly possible, in the United States anyway, to accumulate that sort of net worth with a lifetime of careful saving and investments. Of course net worth doesn't mean he had $14 million in bank accounts it could be in real estate or other types of investments (stocks, bonds, etc).

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

ebenezerarise wrote: January 4th, 2018, 8:14 am President Monson lives in the same house he purchased when first married. He's a VERY modest man. This is personal information that I have from reliable sources who have been with him day and night for the past 20+ years.
He has several properties in various locations.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Robin Hood wrote: January 4th, 2018, 8:46 am
ebenezerarise wrote: January 4th, 2018, 8:14 am President Monson lives in the same house he purchased when first married. He's a VERY modest man. This is personal information that I have from reliable sources who have been with him day and night for the past 20+ years.
If he owned the property at Vivian, that would have been inherited and be worth quite a bit I imagine.

Take into account his professional career and appointments. Plus he worked in a time when pensions were common. Served in the Navy if I recall, might be something there. And the stock market was a mere fraction of what it is today so even modest investments back in the day might have yielded quite a bit.

My point, nothing nefarious about it if that is a true figure.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Michelle wrote: January 4th, 2018, 9:57 am Take into account his professional career and appointments.
This remark made me to understand that there is much I do not know about Pres. Monson. Most apostles mention their career's in their talks (everybody knows that Uchtdorf was a pilot). Monson was so young when he became an apostle that he doesn't have as many stories from work life to share. I don't actually know what he did before becoming an apostle.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

inho wrote: January 4th, 2018, 12:05 pm
Michelle wrote: January 4th, 2018, 9:57 am Take into account his professional career and appointments.
This remark made me to understand that there is much I do not know about Pres. Monson. Most apostles mention their career's in their talks (everybody knows that Uchtdorf was a pilot). Monson was so young when he became an apostle that he doesn't have as many stories from work life to share. I don't actually know what he did before becoming an apostle.
Here is a brief intro.
https://www.lds.org/church/leader/thoma ... n?lang=eng

His biography has a lot more. :)

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Post by lemuel »

It's simple--he paid tithing on the income he wanted to have:

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/ ... e?lang=eng
When we’re desperate to have more money, we eagerly follow the Lord’s law of finances—which is, of course, tithing!

Consider President George Q. Cannon’s approach to tithing when he was an impoverished young man. When his bishop commented on the large amount of tithing poor young George was paying, George said something like: “Oh bishop, I’m not paying tithing on what I make. I’m paying tithing on what I want to make.” And the very next year George earned exactly the amount of money he had paid tithing on the year before!

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Michelle wrote: January 4th, 2018, 9:57 am
If he owned the property at Vivian, that would have been inherited and be worth quite a bit I imagine.

Take into account his professional career and appointments. Plus he worked in a time when pensions were common. Served in the Navy if I recall, might be something there. And the stock market was a mere fraction of what it is today so even modest investments back in the day might have yielded quite a bit.

What career?
He was in full-time church service from the age of 33.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Robin Hood wrote: January 4th, 2018, 4:02 pm

What career?
Professionally, President Monson has had a distinguished career in publishing and printing. He became associated with the Deseret News in 1948, where he served as an executive in the advertising division of that newspaper and the Newspaper Agency Corporation. Later he was named sales manager of the Deseret News Press, one of the West’s largest commercial printing firms, rising to the position of general manager, which position he held at the time of his appointment to the Quorum of the Twelve in 1963. He served for many years as chairman of the board of Deseret News Publishing Co. President Monson is a past president of Printing Industry of Utah and a former member of the board of directors of Printing Industries of America.

With his broad business background, President Monson served for many years as a board member of several prominent businesses and industries. He currently serves as chairman of the LDS Church Board of Education and Board of Trustees.

Since 1969 President Monson has served as a member of the National Executive Board of Boy Scouts of America.

President Monson has held membership in the Utah Association of Sales Executives, the Salt Lake Advertising Club, and the Salt Lake Exchange Club.

For many years, President Monson served as a member of the Utah State Board of Regents, the body which governs higher education in the State of Utah. He also served as an officer in the Alumni Association of the University of Utah.

In December 1981, President Monson was appointed by President Ronald Reagan to serve on the President’s Task Force for Private Sector Initiatives. He served in this capacity until December 1982, when the work of the task force was completed.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Quoting a deceased persons net worth etc is nonsense, neither is it relevant or anyones business.
Most would have held assets in family names to avoid excessive and exorbitant taxation, that is the reality.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Michelle wrote: January 4th, 2018, 4:36 pm
Robin Hood wrote: January 4th, 2018, 4:02 pm

What career?
Professionally, President Monson has had a distinguished career in publishing and printing. He became associated with the Deseret News in 1948, where he served as an executive in the advertising division of that newspaper and the Newspaper Agency Corporation. Later he was named sales manager of the Deseret News Press, one of the West’s largest commercial printing firms, rising to the position of general manager, which position he held at the time of his appointment to the Quorum of the Twelve in 1963. He served for many years as chairman of the board of Deseret News Publishing Co. President Monson is a past president of Printing Industry of Utah and a former member of the board of directors of Printing Industries of America.

With his broad business background, President Monson served for many years as a board member of several prominent businesses and industries. He currently serves as chairman of the LDS Church Board of Education and Board of Trustees.

Since 1969 President Monson has served as a member of the National Executive Board of Boy Scouts of America.

President Monson has held membership in the Utah Association of Sales Executives, the Salt Lake Advertising Club, and the Salt Lake Exchange Club.

For many years, President Monson served as a member of the Utah State Board of Regents, the body which governs higher education in the State of Utah. He also served as an officer in the Alumni Association of the University of Utah.

In December 1981, President Monson was appointed by President Ronald Reagan to serve on the President’s Task Force for Private Sector Initiatives. He served in this capacity until December 1982, when the work of the task force was completed.

So what you're saying is that he amassed a large fortune working for Deseret News, a church owned media company, and that while he was serving as an apostle he was also raking it in from various business interests.